Sportsnet top 20 centres

Todd Parchment

Apr 5, 2018
Isn't this like the 5th top-20 thread that starts with a remark about how everyone will hate where Matthews is placed? I happen to think he's a great player, I think he is a little higher than he should be (but not much)....what I'm actually starting to hate is the weekly mantra - "everyone will hate where Matthews is placed"...it's getting so overused

#hateception

Sick of people like you saying that people have no right to be prematurely upset when people always downplay your best player.

Good thing they got Tavares to soften the blow. That’s gonna leave a mark.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
I'm surprised that they ranked Tavares at #12 and Eichel at #10.

As for Matthews being at #5, can the people on HF just agree that Matthews is better than he gets credit for. There are reasons every list he is on ranks him in the top 10, even though others claim he should not be ranked that high.

I'll agree when he actually produces like a top 5 C. Don't get me wrong I believe he will get there but he still has to prove it.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Sick of people like you saying that people have no right to be prematurely upset when people always downplay your best player.

Prematurely upset. Do you prematurely celebrate before you win the lottery? Shouldnt even be that upset about someone downplaying your guy, let alone prematurely...

Look out, Todd's off hims rocker

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017

Your conversing with an oilers fan they have to downplay what they can. Because they have so little.

In 10 years, if one were to judge who was the better player by counting Conn smythe trophies, Matthews would be better than McDavid!!! And that's really all they have.

Reactions: Todd Parchment

Todd Parchment

Apr 5, 2018
Prematurely upset. Do you prematurely celebrate before you win the lottery? Shouldnt even be that upset about someone downplaying your guy, let alone prematurely...

Look out, Todd's off hims rocker

Another Soilers fan talking mad skrill about the best shooter in the league. Makes me ill to my stomach. That’s gonna leave a mark.

I think the amount of lists that have Matthews shows his true level which is top 5 player in the NHL , easily.

@ me when McDavid scores 60.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Another Soilers fan talking mad skrill about the best shooter in the league. Makes me ill to my stomach. That’s gonna leave a mark.

I think the amount of lists that have Matthews shows his true level which is top 5 player in the NHL , easily.

@ me when McDavid scores 60.

Yep, soilers is right. Your drivel is soiling my soul...

Your conversing with an oilers fan they have to downplay what they can. Because they have so little.

In 10 years, if one were to judge who was the better player by counting Conn smythe trophies, Matthews would be better than McDavid!!! And that's really all they have.

Joe, what are you even on about? They are both going to have 0 conn smythe in ten years. Oilers wont win a cup, and Matthew's is invisible in the playoffs All you have is a pipe dream.

But but...in 10 years pa! You'll see pa!

1967! Forever in our hearts.

If one were to judge them by literally anything else they would see Matthew's is tiers below

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Kuznetzov top 5? On what planet?
If you have seen him play on a regular basis you know that isn't much of a stretch. He needs to work on some parts of his game but his skills are ridiculous. Easily one of the most skilled players in the league.

6 Karlsson 5

Aug 9, 2012
That’s what I said. I disagree with the list and the concept of it. I base my opinion on whether a player is elite on production ie results. I have yet to see an elite player who has never cracked the top 20 in points. Heck I’d say you’d have to at least crack the top 5 unless you’re an elite penalty killer like Bergeron or Kopitar. Now Matthews may very well get there. But he’s not there yet.
You can use what ever definition of elite suits your agenda. I’ve made it clear I base mine on actual production.

So do you think the only way to quantify a player's ability is by points scored?

Todd Parchment

Apr 5, 2018

Joe, what are you even on about? They are both going to have 0 conn smythe in ten years. Oilers wont win a cup, and Matthew's is invisible in the playoffs All you have is a pipe dream.

If one were to judge them by literally anything else they would see Matthew's is tiers below

You’re still just dumping on people’s future predictions and facts. Get at me when you wake up from lala land and realize Matthews is a PREMIER player in the NHL.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
You’re still just dumping on people’s future predictions and facts. Get at me when you wake up from lala land and realize Matthews is a PREMIER player in the NHL.

He is premier. But McDavid is the show. He's the new bo Jackson, thanks for playing.

My scenario is much more likely, you got more pipe dreams then Mario

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Surprised to see Barkov so high. He seems to have out-Kopitar'd Kopitar.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Pretty awful list just based on not having Seguin.

Krejci is not a top 20 center and O'Reilly is closer to 20.

Todd Parchment

Apr 5, 2018
Sickening lack of sports knowledge. Pumpernickel Matthew's posts

I bet you only watch Oilers games on sports net or on illegal streams. I pay $200 for Center ice AND have Leafs season tickets.

I have more hockey knowledge and clout based off of that alone.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
I bet you only watch Oilers games on sports net or on illegal streams. I pay $200 for Center ice AND have Leafs season tickets.

I have more hockey knowledge and clout based off of that alone.

Leaf tickets? Doubtful. The wait list is like 50 families long.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017

Oh poor boy. Good luck in the draft lottery this year.

Fables

Apr 27, 2015
You should always take these lists with a grain of salt. This one is a statistics based list from one writers point of view... and that's all it is. But it's still an interesting read.

So there are some obvious reasons to complain like always with these lists. I don't for example think there is a single GM in the league who would take Ryan O'reilly over Mark Scheifele.

But there are also some things to like about this list compared to few other lists:

1. Ryan Getzlaf is often missing or very low on some other lists. Come play off time I would still take Getzlaf of my team anytime and there are very few centers that are better than him when the real games begin. Yes his is getting older but I think this ranking is showing his current value right.

2 Jack Eichel is usually getting underrated because he has played for God awful Buffalo teams. But has nevertheless been a very good young center who is probably gonna get a lot better.

4. Alexander Barkov is getting his due with this ranking. In most other rankings he is ranked way too low.

Last edited:

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
Jimmy mcmillan 06102018153432.jpg

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Pretty awful list just based on not having Seguin.

Krejci is not a top 20 center and O'Reilly is closer to 20.

Seguin is bad defensively, gets 25% more ice time than Krejci including more PP time and better linemates. Not hard to see that Krejci's actual performance is similar.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad