OT: Spoiler Alert [Spoiler Alert ((Spoiler Alert))] (The Newly Annual Non-Pens Media Thread)

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Looks a lot like Preacher.. which ****ing sucked. Like, if you’re going to redo a story why not just make it a separate story?
Watchmen isn't remaking a story, is it? Or are there sequel comics it's based on or something?

I'm optimistic about Watchmen mostly just because of the people attached to it. Without someone like Lindelof I'd be a lot more skeptical.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Watchmen isn't remaking a story, is it? Or are there sequel comics it's based on or something?

I'm optimistic about Watchmen mostly just because of the people attached to it. Without someone like Lindelof I'd be a lot more skeptical.

It’s one of those “loosely inspired” things.

One of my fav books ( along with Preacher) growing up. So, I guess I’ll always be a critic.

Honestly more excited for the His Dark Materials. If they do that right it’ll be on par if not better than GOT.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

One of my fav books ( along with Preacher) growing up. So, I guess I’ll always be a critic.

Honestly more excited for the His Dark Materials. If they do that right it’ll be on par if not better than GOT.
I thought it was basically a straight up sequel taking place years after the comic?

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008

I'm with you on His Dark Materials--one of my favorite book series growing up. I think it'll be good as long as they don't shy away from all the religious themes like the movie did.

Reactions: HandshakeLin

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I thought it was basically a straight up sequel taking place years after the comic?

In a lengthy Instagram post from Damon Lindelof while the show was in early production, it was revealed that the Watchmenseries will not be a direct adaptation of the original source material, instead, being "remixed"; aiming to tell an entirely new story set in the world where the events of the original storyline took place.[2] The series will also showcase different points of view, with the only characters from the original storyline on the series being Doctor Manhattan, Silk Spectre, Hooded Justice and Ozymandias.[3][4]

So yeah. Which is why I think it sounds pretty bad as a fan of the source material.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV

From all the comic-con info, it is something like 20yrs in the future. The events of the comic/movie did take place, this is just far into the future. So yeah, I'd call it a sequel.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
In a lengthy Instagram post from Damon Lindelof while the show was in early production, it was revealed that the Watchmenseries will not be a direct adaptation of the original source material, instead, being "remixed"; aiming to tell an entirely new story set in the world where the events of the original storyline took place.[2] The series will also showcase different points of view, with the only characters from the original storyline on the series being Doctor Manhattan, Silk Spectre, Hooded Justice and Ozymandias.[3][4]

So yeah. Which is why I think it sounds pretty bad as a fan of the source material.
Right, but it's definitely taking place well after. Ozymandias is old now. There's a cult that seems to be built around Rorshach's journal. So maybe he's kind of remixed what happened in the source material a bit? Maybe like a mix between the comic and the movie? I'm not sure. But the series itself seems to be a pure sequel from what I can tell. At least the parts they've shown. Maybe that changed an bit since early pre-production?

For what it's worth, I for one am perfectly okay with adapting older works without being completely faithful if it's done well. So even if this bastardizes the source material, I don't care so long as it's good.

In other news, I just started Veep. It's great so far.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
D_9lZVbU8AEsSFW.jpg

Could not tell that this was Natalie Portman.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Never read it, but I for one am shocked that a comic featuring a dude named Arseface hasn't aged well.

Arseface and the skewering of racists was the best part about the comic, :laugh: but yeah, it's pretty much the usual cringey Ennis teenage edge-lord writing taken to ten. It made me sad, because I remembered it as a much wittier comic than it was, though I still like the premise and I agree with Ennis on a lot of things.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Arseface and the skewering of racists was the best part about the comic, :laugh: but yeah, it's pretty much the usual cringey Ennis teenage edge-lord writing taken to ten. It made me sad, because I remembered it as a much wittier comic than it was, though I still like the premise and I agree with Ennis on a lot of things.
for as much as I've always liked comic based stuff like movies and TV series, I have read very few actual comics. I honestly don't even know where I would have found comics as a kid. Actually, I don't know where I'd find them now aside from online.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Arseface and the skewering of racists was the best part about the comic, :laugh: but yeah, it's pretty much the usual cringey Ennis teenage edge-lord writing taken to ten. It made me sad, because I remembered it as a much wittier comic than it was, though I still like the premise and I agree with Ennis on a lot of things.[/QUOTE
Have you had a chance to follow some of the european magicians: Hermann, Bilal, Pratt?

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Have you had a chance to follow some of the european magicians: Hermann, Bilal, Pratt?

I've read a bit of Bilal, but not too much, but I liked his Nikopol trilogy (besides, he's Slovak and Yugo, so I feel we both have a bit of a stake in him :laugh: ) . I like him, but it's hard to find his stuff in translation here in Česko, and I'm no francophone so, I'll have to try to snag some when I'm home, or try to find a CZ/SK translation.

Confidential: @ColePens

If you like Rounders, you should totally check out Hard Eight.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Saw Spiderman finally. For me it was just kind of meh even though Tom Holland plays the part well. Although I swear he looks like a chipmunk half the time with his puffed cheeks
Wasn't impressed with Jake Gyllenhal as Mysterio. This movie felt unemotional and detracted after the gut punch of Endgame. It was like "hey we're just gonna feed you this sugar packed candy. Has zero nutritional value, but it's something we can say we did"

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I'm looking forward to it

Same.

Totally love it or hate it miniseries, but I'm weirdly into Too Old to Die Young. I absolutely love the slow takes, the neon everything, the horrific violence. The thing that I find absolutely perplexing though is who green-lit essentially a 14 hour version of Neon Demon + Only God Forgives.

tumblr_n36royhBAA1qhy1g8o1_r1_500.gif

Reactions: Peat

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Same.

Totally love it or hate it miniseries, but I'm weirdly into Too Old to Die Young. I absolutely love the slow takes, the neon everything, the horrific violence. The thing that I find absolutely perplexing though is who green-lit essentially a 14 hour version of Neon Demon + Only God Forgives.

tumblr_n36royhBAA1qhy1g8o1_r1_500.gif

Hadn't heard of TOtDY til just now. I may give it a go tonight. Thanks!

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I've read a bit of Bilal, but not too much, but I liked his Nikopol trilogy (besides, he's Slovak and Yugo, so I feel we both have a bit of a stake in him :laugh: ) . I like him, but it's hard to find his stuff in translation here in Česko, and I'm no francophone so, I'll have to try to snag some when I'm home, or try to find a CZ/SK translation.

Confidential: @ColePens

If you like Rounders, you should totally check out Hard Eight.

Endorsed. Hard Eight is kind of rough in terms of the story, but Phillip Baker Hall was in top form in that one.

Reactions: HandshakeLin

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Really enjoyed Once Upon a Time. That’s how I’d describe it without going into much detail. Just a very enjoyable movie. I found it a lot of fun.

Gonna put spoiler tags over the rest of my thoughts just in case anyone wants a completely blank slate, but I won’t actually be spoiling the plot or movie whatsoever if you do want a little more detail.

I thought Brad Pitt was awesome in this film. Not to take anything away from DiCaprio— who was also very good, but he really stole the show for me. Already one of my favorite Pitt roles ever.

I thought it was really funny. To me, it wasn’t as dark as other QT films have been. Felt more lighthearted, and also kind of warm? A bit different than his other films for me.

Back to acting- the DiCaprio/Pitt chemistry is unreal. Very natural feel to it. Need them to do a couple more films together. For all the talk about lack of lines, Margot Robbie got a fair share of screen time and was very good imo.

Script is great as expected. Absolutely loved the dialogue.

Really liked the way he showcased the clips of old TV/movies throughout.

Cons for me were that it did feel slow/long at times, but I think that was on purpose and made for a better movie. I’m of the mind that QT wanted us to soak in his reimagined 1969 Hollywood. The pace made that very possible. (I’m just a bit ADHD). Plus, a lot of feet. I don’t like feet. Tarantino clearly does.

Overall, great film.
[Spoiler/]

Reactions: CascadiaPenguin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad