Spittin' Chiclets Podcast - Part II

Kezaster

Apr 29, 2013
Ryan Whitney is the reason I would never listen to this podcast. Be glad you don't know him personally.

This could be based on something first hand, or it could be based on hear-say. Doesn't really matter to me,

I know just from listening to the pod that I couldn't stand him in person 100%(he's about the same age). But it doesn't stop me from enjoying the show.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
This could be based on something first hand, or it could be based on hear-say. Doesn't really matter to me,

I know just from listening to the pod that I couldn't stand him in person 100%(he's about the same age). But it doesn't stop me from enjoying the show.

Agreed, he comes off as a total douche sometimes (almost Chad like) but I still enjoy the show. For me personally, I usually stick to the interviews as I honestly can't stand RA.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Listened to Scottie Upshall, Shane O'Brien and Jimmy Hayes new podcast on the way to work.

Didn't mind it. Although I'm a sucker for listening to ex-nhlers tell stories and talk shit about guys. Had some interesting stories on Bryzgalov.

From back in the AHL days essentially someone told him we need to win this to stay in the serious, Ilya "it ends tonight". Let in 4 goals or something in the first. What a guy.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

BOS358

Purveyor of unpopular opinions
Jul 20, 2017
Boston

Hey, to each their own. Listen to and enjoy his show all you want. And I get it, he is pretty charismatic. There's a reason why he does audio and video and I stick to print.

I knew him before he hit the NHL and we butted heads (figuratively) late in his career. After that incident, the thought of hearing his voice makes me nauseous. After having heard too many recommendations to start listening, I was just glad that I'm not the only one to have gotten sick of him.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Ryan Whitney is the reason I would never listen to this podcast. Be glad you don't know him personally.
I met Ryan Whitney in Saratoga a few years back. He offered to buy my a burger at Shake Shack and then spoke to me and my friends for about 15 minutes and took a picture even though he was there celebrating his brother’s bachelor party. Couldn’t have been a nicer guy to three people he didn’t even know.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Agreed, he comes off as a total douche sometimes (almost Chad like) but I still enjoy the show. For me personally, I usually stick to the interviews as I honestly can't stand RA.

I've never met Whitney or anything but yeah he definitely comes across that way. You can tell he's trying really hard too. I listen for Biz/RA and the interviews.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018

I understand what your alluding to. I’m def older than Ryan (I’m 55) but i do enjoy SC, Biz is the star for sure and RA in his own quirky manner, a number of the older guests i have heard their stories before but appreciate the pod giving them a platform to be appreciated and relevant in today’s NHL, but I will agree, on many occasions i have said to myself that Ryan seems like a spoiled little brat. I lived near Edmonton For many years and often would go to watch bits of the Brick tournament and I’m sure if he played in it i would have been able to pick him out. He’d be the one whining to his dad to buy him a new stick, to buy him a new hat, to buy him more rides at fantasyland theme park and more food at the food court kiosks, basically a spoiled brat. Saw many of those kids and parents giving them all they asked for. They could lose Ryan from the pod and add back in just about anyone and it would improve the product. I dont feel chemistry with the Paul and RA with ryan. Just my take.

Reactions: Voight

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
I understand what your alluding to. I’m def older than Ryan (I’m 55) but i do enjoy SC, Biz is the star for sure and RA in his own quirky manner, a number of the older guests i have heard their stories before but appreciate the pod giving them a platform to be appreciated and relevant in today’s NHL, but I will agree, on many occasions i have said to myself that Ryan seems like a spoiled little brat. I lived near Edmonton For many years and often would go to watch bits of the Brick tournament and I’m sure if he played in it i would have been able to pick him out. He’d be the one whining to his dad to buy him a new stick, to buy him a new hat, to buy him more rides at fantasyland theme park and more food at the food court kiosks, basically a spoiled brat. Saw many of those kids and parents giving them all they asked for. They could lose Ryan from the pod and add back in just about anyone and it would improve the product. I dont feel chemistry with the Paul and RA with ryan. Just my take.
That speculation goes against a lot of what Whitney has said his childhood was like. He has made it seem many times that his father was very tough on him, not in an abusive way by any means, but rather in a way that extolled hard work to achieve success. IIRC, he may have even joked that if he whined to the ref his dad would have let him have it in the car. Plus, he seemed to be generally liked in all locker rooms he was a part of. Most teammates hate the whiners.

Not buying this take, nor the notion that Biz and Whit don't have chemistry. They have the best chemistry since they been friends for 15+ years...

Reactions: sabresEH

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018

Whit is kind of a dbag. That’s his shtick.

And Biz is a softie.

It’s an amazing combo

Ya I’m of the opinion that Whit seems a complete tool but- it kinda allows for some good tension and exchanges? Feels like Biz has mellowed and matured and Whit has gone the other way, kinda has a chip on his shoulder now for some reason- like he got somethin right the last podcast and was like “yeah remember that next time you tell me I’m wrong about everything!” And I’m pretty sure no one has ever done that, but ok, sure Whit. He’s constantly defining himself now too “I’m the kind of guy who..”. Idk, makes for some interesting armchair psychology, seeing how these guys become more self-aware and how they react now that they really have a following and voice. If Whit’s done anything bad enough where I shouldn’t support, lemme know, but otherwise I kinda like the odd situation where Biz seems the more.. considerate of those two, now.

Also, love how they bitched about “PC!” the other day for ten minutes, then they have Biz talking about using a theragun on his jaw to help cunnilingus after a 2 minute sex session. Sound effects included. No politics, just pointing out- these guys seem like they’ll be fine.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Noticed today that while Whit was born in 1983, he was never drafted in 2001 and waited a year. Seemed odd because he would go 5th overall the next year so he had to be on the radar even the year before, I presume.

& no, he doesn't have a late birthday.

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Uh oh the 'Chiclets is racist/sexist crowd' must hate that they had Reaves (a black man) on to talk about the racial injustices and what was going on in the bubble, followed by the only woman to ever play in the NHL both in one week!

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Uh oh the 'Chiclets is racist/sexist crowd' must hate that they had Reaves (a black man) on to talk about the racial injustices and what was going on in the bubble, followed by the only woman to ever play in the NHL both in one week!
If they think Chicklets is sexist they should really listen to Missin Curfew.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018

..you bumped the thread to say this? You can interview a black person and still be racist, for the record, but the bigger thing is- what are you talking about? There’s no crowd calling them racist or sexist, I’ve never heard a single person say that. I don’t really think Whit gets it, personally, but I also don’t see him as racist/sexist. Some people don’t like Barstool, that’s different, but it’s weird to post what you posted against a crowd that doesn’t exist. Show me someone calling them those things, I’ll wait.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad