Spittin' Chiclets Podcast - Part II

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
The show would be fantastic without RA. Grenelli also adds little to nothing as well.
I've been critical of Grinelli in the past but he adds everything that makes it a podcast. RA and Whit were recording from RA's basement and forgot to record an entire episode. Since he joined they have been able to actually record a professional sounding podcast and have expanded their content(which he oversees pretty much all of) greatly.

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Yeah, they're only disgusting misogynist people when he's single.

I’m not sure I’d say the Chiclets crew is misogynist. Barstool at large absolutely, but Whitney is domesticated af and RA really never says anything along those lines.

Biz has always just struck me as a slut. Nothing wrong with his life style tbh. But LOL at someone saying he should be an idol to kids.

Grinelli seems gross.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I’m not sure I’d say the Chiclets crew is misogynist. Barstool at large absolutely, but Whitney is domesticated af and RA really never says anything along those lines.

Biz has always just struck me as a slut. Nothing wrong with his life style tbh. But LOL at someone saying he should be an idol to kids.

Grinelli seems gross.
They have alluded to stuff like that countless times as some sick in joke. I recall the Lupul stuff, etc.

Also, a disgusting company represents you, do you just pretend that stuff doesn't exist and go about your business? Or are you not as culpable as the people that pay your checks because now you're condoning that behavior because you're fine taking the money that is generated by it.

Oh hey, I hate it when women are exploited and treated like trash.
Oh wait, they are paying my bills? Yeah, I'll just pretend it doesn't bother me.

Funny how Leipsic's comments resulted in him basically being fired from the NHL, etc. But an entire company that respresents far more disgusting behavior, is what the NHL allows its players to go and interview with. You see nothing wrong with that? You should.

It's hilarious, gotta change the name to the Redskins, gotta fire and fine players for saying obscene things about women and abuse towards women (although racial comments just get a fine, apparently), but people here are such huge fans of a podcast that is paid and produced by Barstool Sports, an absolutely disgusting exploitative company, like "Chive."

Reactions: NJ DevLolz

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
He does behind the scenes work.. hes not expected to be talking all the time.
His "behind the scenes" work is incredibly amateur compared to like, every single other podcast on the planet. As someone who knows a lot about audio production It's embarrassing honestly.

IIRC he got the job cause he emailed them back when it first started

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
His "behind the scenes" work is incredibly amateur compared to like, every single other podcast on the planet. As someone who knows a lot about audio production It's embarrassing honestly.

As someone who knows nothing about it, what exactly does he do (or doesn't do) that bothers you?

Reactions: VP

Ronald Ocean

Disregard username
Sep 12, 2008

Sounds like any other podcast to me but I dont know

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
Here's a regular reminder that Barstool, and everything under their umbrella, is trash.

Sticktape

Jan 25, 2017
I have a 15 hour drive in a few days and I'd like to know which episodes to download for the ride.

Any recommendations when it comes to particularly good interviews?

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
I have a 15 hour drive in a few days and I'd like to know which episodes to download for the ride.

Some of the early, early episodes are hilarious because of the original dynamic between RA and Whitney. Episode 9, Colby Armstrong’s first episode is good. Episode 15 is Kevin Hayes’ first appearance, Episode 40 is Yandles first appearance, Episode 96 is Hayes & Yandle + Biz is full time now, Episode 101 is Terry Ryan.. funny but tough to hear him if I remember correctly, episode 115 w/Adam Oates is one of my all time faves.. I could listen to Oates talk hockey all day, episode 117 Shane O’Brien, 136 w/Dennis Bobbie I believe is a decent ep, episode 139 the boys are in NYC and are joined by the Vegas Knights trio of Schmidt, Reaves and Fleury, episode 141 Hayes is back, Episode 144 Purcell and Bugsy Malone join the boys for the West Coast Wagon tour, episode 147 w/Mike Comrie, episode 149 w/Scotty Upshall, episode 150 w/Claude Giroux, episode 151 w/Steven Stamkos(much better than you might think), episode 157 w/the yandle brothers, episode 158 is just Teddy Purcell(all the episodes from 144-158 should include Teddy and Malone to some extent), episode 162 w/Kerry Fraser was actual a good listen.. maybe not the funniest but a good listen, Episode 166 w/Brandon Yip, episode 168 w/Ryan Lannon, episode 174 the return of Updogg(Scottie Upshall), episode 175 w/Brendan Walsh, episode 179 w/Joey Vitale(worth the listen just for the Crosby winning streak story alone), episode 180 w/Mike Rupp, episode 191 w/Joffrey Lupul, episodes 195 + 196 the boys are in Halifax interviewing Crosby(195) and Mackinnon(196).. pretty sure Crosby’s episode was better, episode 197 w/Terry Ryan and Teddy Purcell, you can actually hear Terry this time as they’re in person and he re-tells the must hear story from his first episode, episode 202 w/Jimmy Hayes, episode 215 w/Tim Stapleton(MUST LISTEN), episode 218 w/Jakob Voracek, episode 231 w/Scotty Gomez, episode 236 w/Lupul, OB and a buddy, episode 243 w/Stapleton and Jimmy Hayes, episode 256 w/Keith Yandle and Kevin Hayes(near the start of lockdown.. yands and Hayes are on all episode and it’s a must listen), episode 266 w/Tom Green(yes the actor, it’s worth the listen).

I’ve probably missed some good ones and possibly added a snoozer or two. Tough to remember which ones were the good interviews especially when they’ve been on multiple times. They have 2 best of episodes(230 best of 2019, 137 best of 2018).

The golden era of this show is between Biz joining full time(about episode 70) and the JR incident(fall of 2019 I believe).

I didn’t include it in the list I provided but an early episode where they interview Mike Mottau is good and imo is the episode that perpetuates the myth that RA does coke during episodes. I’m very positive all the boys are ripping lines this episode and it’s 3 massholes drinking and talking and it’s pretty funny to hear their accents and shit.

Edit: while listening to the episodes/interviews you can get an idea as to who Biz and Whit were friends/party with and listening to them you find out the same people for them. Those people are usually good interviews.

Sean Burke and Brian Burke are both good interviewees, not necessarily funny but good listens. Sean Burke is a long interview(2 parts) and it’s just Biz talking with him but I remember enjoying it. Brian Burke has 2 interviews and some of his stories are told in both. I believe it’s the second episode where they get Burke in person, those are always better.

Also Marek and MacLean were decent episodes because they’re very good at the interviews and kind of come in and dominate the talking.

Last edited:

Huggy43

Jan 13, 2016
Burnaby, BC
Do you think they all have a stake in pink whitney? Or mostly just Whit & Biz?

I could go in forever on the things/episodes I love from the show/crew. The only problem I ever have are the slight Bruins biases (they can deny but there 100% is one) & Whit talking a big game while being one of the softest people out there/his golf stories.

Here's a regular reminder that Barstool, and everything under their umbrella, is trash.
Here’s a regular reminder that literally no one is forcing you to listen to/support them :)

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
The people that come in here with some blanket 'Barstool is trash' bullshit should really do some research.

Just because Deadspin and the likes chose to take shots at Barstool because it gets them clicks, doesn't mean it's based in facts. Not trying to change anyone's mind because I don't care but just do some research on things you choose to speak out on.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
Do you think they all have a stake in pink whitney? Or mostly just Whit & Biz?

I could go in forever on the things/episodes I love from the show/crew. The only problem I ever have are the slight Bruins biases (they can deny but there 100% is one) & Whit talking a big game while being one of the softest people out there/his golf stories.

Here’s a regular reminder that literally no one is forcing you to listen to/support them :)
I would be willing to bet they gave the other 2 some small share in the Pink Whitney wagon. Grinelli has to go with them for everything they do for it so I would imagine they included him in the deal but who knows.

Also I have only ever heard Whitney refer to himself as soft so what big game talking are you referring to? He enjoys talking up how rich he is but that’s about as big as he gets imo. And as for the golf talk I enjoy it personally but I know it’s not for everyone and they make sure to put it and the end now for those of you that don’t.

Last edited:

Sticktape

Jan 25, 2017
Some of the early, early episodes are hilarious because of the original dynamic between RA and Whitney. Episode 9, Colby Armstrong’s first episode is good. Episode 15 is Kevin Hayes’ first appearance, Episode 40 is Yandles first appearance, Episode 96 is Hayes & Yandle + Biz is full time now, Episode 101 is Terry Ryan.. funny but tough to hear him if I remember correctly, episode 115 w/Adam Oates is one of my all time faves.. I could listen to Oates talk hockey all day, episode 117 Shane O’Brien, 136 w/Dennis Bobbie I believe is a decent ep, episode 139 the boys are in NYC and are joined by the Vegas Knights trio of Schmidt, Reaves and Fleury, episode 141 Hayes is back, Episode 144 Purcell and Bugsy Malone join the boys for the West Coast Wagon tour, episode 147 w/Mike Comrie, episode 149 w/Scotty Upshall, episode 150 w/Claude Giroux, episode 151 w/Steven Stamkos(much better than you might think), episode 157 w/the yandle brothers, episode 158 is just Teddy Purcell(all the episodes from 144-158 should include Teddy and Malone to some extent), episode 162 w/Kerry Fraser was actual a good listen.. maybe not the funniest but a good listen, Episode 166 w/Brandon Yip, episode 168 w/Ryan Lannon, episode 174 the return of Updogg(Scottie Upshall), episode 175 w/Brendan Walsh, episode 179 w/Joey Vitale(worth the listen just for the Crosby winning streak story alone), episode 180 w/Mike Rupp, episode 191 w/Joffrey Lupul, episodes 195 + 196 the boys are in Halifax interviewing Crosby(195) and Mackinnon(196).. pretty sure Crosby’s episode was better, episode 197 w/Terry Ryan and Teddy Purcell, you can actually hear Terry this time as they’re in person and he re-tells the must hear story from his first episode, episode 202 w/Jimmy Hayes, episode 215 w/Tim Stapleton(MUST LISTEN), episode 218 w/Jakob Voracek, episode 231 w/Scotty Gomez, episode 236 w/Lupul, OB and a buddy, episode 243 w/Stapleton and Jimmy Hayes, episode 256 w/Keith Yandle and Kevin Hayes(near the start of lockdown.. yands and Hayes are on all episode and it’s a must listen), episode 266 w/Tom Green(yes the actor, it’s worth the listen).

I’ve probably missed some good ones and possibly added a snoozer or two. Tough to remember which ones were the good interviews especially when they’ve been on multiple times. They have 2 best of episodes(230 best of 2019, 137 best of 2018).

The golden era of this show is between Biz joining full time(about episode 70) and the JR incident(fall of 2019 I believe).

I didn’t include it in the list I provided but an early episode where they interview Mike Mottau is good and imo is the episode that perpetuates the myth that RA does coke during episodes. I’m very positive all the boys are ripping lines this episode and it’s 3 massholes drinking and talking and it’s pretty funny to hear their accents and shit.

Edit: while listening to the episodes/interviews you can get an idea as to who Biz and Whit were friends/party with and listening to them you find out the same people for them. Those people are usually good interviews.

Sean Burke and Brian Burke are both good interviewees, not necessarily funny but good listens. Sean Burke is a long interview(2 parts) and it’s just Biz talking with him but I remember enjoying it. Brian Burke has 2 interviews and some of his stories are told in both. I believe it’s the second episode where they get Burke in person, those are always better.

Also Marek and MacLean were decent episodes because they’re very good at the interviews and kind of come in and dominate the talking.

Holy shiz man thanks! Exactly what I was looking for.

Reactions: sabresEH

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
The only worthwhile guests are old-school enforcer types since their stories are far more intriguing, and they are traditionally far less myopic than the inarticulate superstars of today.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City

The first Tim Stapleton interview is one of the best they've done.

The Crosby episode was great. Joe Vitale. Any/all episodes involving Hayes and Yandle. Mike Sgroi was funny.

Episode 102 contains the infamous Ryan Whitney "that fudge unreal bud?" story. Episode 117 is the equally awesome Ryan Whitney spray tan story.

Totally agree with @sabresEH, in terms of humor most of the best Chiclets episodes are between Biz first joining full time up to the JR incident.

Last edited:

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
The first Tim Stapleton interview is one of the best they've done.

The Crosby episode was great. Joe Vitale. Any/all episodes involving Hayes and Yandle. Mike Sgroi was funny.

Episode 102 contains the infamous Ryan Whitney "that fudge unreal bud?" story. Episode 117 is the equally awesome Ryan Whitney spray tan story.

Totally agree with @sabresEH, in terms of humor most of the best Chiclets episodes are between Biz first joining full time up to the JR incident.
YES! Thank you! 102 w/ the fudge story. My god that is my all time favourite story. I’ve heard it too many times and I die laughing every time.

I love when Whit has a good story. He does a good job of setting it and building it up. It’s one of the reasons I like his golf talk, when Whit gets going and rambling it’s some of the funniest moments in SC.

Edit: @Sticktape make sure to listen to episode 102. Thank @Lias Andersson for that one. I’m putting that episode on for the bike ride today.

Reactions: shello

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

The best interviews to me are the ones who are the most candid and the best storytellers. The following interviews really stood out to me:

1) Scott Gomez
2) Kerry Fraser
3) James Wisniewski

This won't give you 15 hours, but it will be the best hours out of the lot IMO.

Then there's a guest you will either really love or can't stand in Terry Ryan.

Huggy43

Jan 13, 2016
Burnaby, BC
I would be willing to bet they gave the other 2 some small share in the Pink Whitney wagon. Grinelli has to go with them for everything they do for it so I would imagine they included him in the deal but who knows.

Also I have only ever heard Whitney refer to himself as soft so what big game talking are you referring to? He enjoys talking up how rich he is but that’s about as big as he gets imo. And as for the golf talk I enjoy it personally but I know it’s not for everyone and they make sure to put it and the end now for those of you that don’t.
You’re right, he does call himself out a lot. For me it’s mostly the comparison of the league when he played to now & how the guys act then & now. Not saying that he does it a lot. Just when he does I usually roll my eyes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad