Spittin' Chiclets Podcast - Part II

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
I enjoyed it a lot more when they didn't spend an hour at the start of every episode talking about their live shows and side projects.
The show seems like it's taken a big slide downward this year. TBH since they cut down to one long show per week it seems like it's gone downhill.

I don't really have any complaints about the Whitdawg.

Biz is constantly interrupting Whit and for some reason he gets the most airtime even though he knows less about what's going on in the league than Whit and RA. It feels like since he got the TNT gig he has been trying to dominate the conversations like he's the star of the show. Still a likeable dude, but he's been grating on me recently.

RA can barely get a sentence out without f***ing up a stat or stumbling all over his words. He's an important part of the show, and the stats and stories he provides are valuable, but how is he so bad at speaking? And his constant references to the Simpsons or movies from the 70s and 80s are getting really old. It would be one thing if the other guys understood them but it's like he's only entertaining himself.

Grinnelli is getting way too much airtime. He knows what he's talking about half the time and seems like he talks out of his ass a lot. You're the producer, dude. You don't need to constantly chime in when there are 3 other guys who are the on air talent.

I really like Murley and it's too bad he left to do the spin off with Colby Armstrong. Not much of a fan of Armdog, so I'm not gonna listen to that show.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
The show seems like it's taken a big slide downward this year. TBH since they cut down to one long show per week it seems like it's gone downhill.

Biz is constantly interrupting Whit and for some reason he gets the most airtime even though he knows less about what's going on in the league than Whit and RA. It feels like since he got the TNT gig he has been trying to dominate the conversations like he's the star of the show. Still a likeable dude, but he's been grating on me recently.

RA can barely get a sentence out without f***ing up a stat or stumbling all over his words. He's an important part of the show, and the stats and stories he provides are valuable, but how is he so bad at speaking? And his constant references to the Simpsons or movies from the 70s and 80s are getting really old. It would be one thing if the other guys understood them but it's like he's only entertaining himself.

Grinnelli is getting way too much airtime. He knows what he's talking about half the time and seems like he talks out of his ass a lot. You're the producer, dude. You don't need to constantly chime in when there are 3 other guys who are the on air talent.

I really like Murley and it's too bad he left to do the spin off with Colby Armstrong. Not much of a fan of Armdog, so I'm not gonna listen to that show.

Agreed with most of this. Disagree on RA being an important part of the show (unless you mean his role is important for the show). For being the "glue" host that carries the stats and stories, he's not particularly good at either one of those things and it would be pretty easy to find an upgrade.

Definitely agree that Grinnelli thinks he's more important than he is, but its also up to the others to allow him the sort of freedom he gets.

As for Biz, he drives the bus because he's the best speaker of the group. Although I find Whit the funniest and is the best at breaking down plays, I don't think he likes to be the 'top dog' of the pod, something that Biz seems to want to be.

Reactions: zeeto

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005

I still really enjoy it. The whole concept of the show is still that of a bunch of buddies going out to the local bar for a few hours, drinking beers, and shooting the shit about hockey. Hot chicks and other boys type talk also comes up (Biz wild night with the stewardess was great, and then you have Whit's family and young boys which is also great). RA is the guy that already downed 3 pitchers of beer and needs a ride home. On top of that they get every major NHL current and ex-players to come and offer up bar room type talk that you'll never hear on TNT/NBC/CBC. I think it's awesome. Is it perfect, no, but there really isn't anything else like it.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Podcast was awesome when they weren’t so mainstream in 2018. Used to listen every week. Now it’s maybe a couple of episodes every 6 months if that.
How hipster of you!

Still a must listen podcast for me, every week.
Same. I enjoy their banter and how they level with their guests. There are certain guests where they just go all out crazy (Terry Ryan) and then there's the guests where they definitely take it more serious. Overall, I enjoy the guys.

Reactions: sanscosm

tmlmatus

Dec 29, 2013
Toronto

yeh, they don't need a guy like Armstrong on the podcast, whenever they do an interview that includes him; he just comes off as the biggest boot licker. Murls is good shit, I wish he was part of the main podcast. I think there is space to have 3 former NHL'ers.

Maybe relegate RA to be just a host (which he almost seems like he is now anyways).

Grenelli seems like a good dude; but I have no interest in what he has going on in his life.

Reactions: zeeto

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
They're entertaining definitely. Honestly it's more background noise for me a lot of the time, although I usually tune in more closely to the interviews. Thought Reinhart interviewed really well, funny and down to earth.

Their actual hockey takes are all pretty bad. Whit is the only one with a clue in that regard.

Reactions: Eegs

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I used to listen to this podcast regularly. I have faded away for the year and bit.

It's not that I didn't like it, but I only have so much time, and this podcast got replaced by the knuckles nilan podcast on my Playlist.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Still a must listen podcast for me, every week.
Why? To hear Biz try to insert himself into everyone else's story to seem relevant? Or to hear Whit tell everyone how good the Bruins are? Or to hear about a Thai masseuse getting off on Biz's hand and about his other random exploitation of the opposite sex? Yup great listening.

• Haha
Reactions: The90

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I don’t like the new song. Its lyrics make no sense, it’s the biggest butt rock song I’ve heard in a while. Also they don’t make clouds like they used to.

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
Why? To hear Biz try to insert himself into everyone else's story to seem relevant? Or to hear Whit tell everyone how good the Bruins are? Or to hear about a Thai masseuse getting off on Biz's hand and about his other random exploitation of the opposite sex? Yup great listening.
The Thai masseuse story and jokes are all pretty recent stuff, which isn't much different from all the other stuff Biz has brought up over the last 400+ episodes he's been on. If you don't like it, why do you keep listening to it?

I very much do enjoy all all random, extraneous discussion on each pod. Keeps it fresh, for me anyways. I find Biz and Whit are able to make otherwise boring stories sound pretty entertaining and funny. Other than the interviews, the hockey talk can get a bit stale when they're just going over what happened in the last week.

Reactions: Eegs

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
I don’t like the new song. Its lyrics make no sense, it’s the biggest butt rock song I’ve heard in a while. Also they don’t make clouds like they used to.
So true. WTF is up with clouds these days anyhow? So tired of this degradation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad