Spittin' Chiclets Podcast - Part II

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I’m not sure I’d say the Chiclets crew is misogynist. Barstool at large absolutely, but Whitney is domesticated af and RA really never says anything along those lines.

Biz has always just struck me as a slut. Nothing wrong with his life style tbh. But LOL at someone saying he should be an idol to kids.

Grinelli seems gross.

Thats because 99.9% of RA's stories have nothing to do with women. Usually movies or some other stuff.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Some of the early, early episodes are hilarious because of the original dynamic between RA and Whitney. Episode 9, Colby Armstrong’s first episode is good. Episode 15 is Kevin Hayes’ first appearance, Episode 40 is Yandles first appearance, Episode 96 is Hayes & Yandle + Biz is full time now, Episode 101 is Terry Ryan.. funny but tough to hear him if I remember correctly, episode 115 w/Adam Oates is one of my all time faves.. I could listen to Oates talk hockey all day, episode 117 Shane O’Brien, 136 w/Dennis Bobbie I believe is a decent ep, episode 139 the boys are in NYC and are joined by the Vegas Knights trio of Schmidt, Reaves and Fleury, episode 141 Hayes is back, Episode 144 Purcell and Bugsy Malone join the boys for the West Coast Wagon tour, episode 147 w/Mike Comrie, episode 149 w/Scotty Upshall, episode 150 w/Claude Giroux, episode 151 w/Steven Stamkos(much better than you might think), episode 157 w/the yandle brothers, episode 158 is just Teddy Purcell(all the episodes from 144-158 should include Teddy and Malone to some extent), episode 162 w/Kerry Fraser was actual a good listen.. maybe not the funniest but a good listen, Episode 166 w/Brandon Yip, episode 168 w/Ryan Lannon, episode 174 the return of Updogg(Scottie Upshall), episode 175 w/Brendan Walsh, episode 179 w/Joey Vitale(worth the listen just for the Crosby winning streak story alone), episode 180 w/Mike Rupp, episode 191 w/Joffrey Lupul, episodes 195 + 196 the boys are in Halifax interviewing Crosby(195) and Mackinnon(196).. pretty sure Crosby’s episode was better, episode 197 w/Terry Ryan and Teddy Purcell, you can actually hear Terry this time as they’re in person and he re-tells the must hear story from his first episode, episode 202 w/Jimmy Hayes, episode 215 w/Tim Stapleton(MUST LISTEN), episode 218 w/Jakob Voracek, episode 231 w/Scotty Gomez, episode 236 w/Lupul, OB and a buddy, episode 243 w/Stapleton and Jimmy Hayes, episode 256 w/Keith Yandle and Kevin Hayes(near the start of lockdown.. yands and Hayes are on all episode and it’s a must listen), episode 266 w/Tom Green(yes the actor, it’s worth the listen).

I’ve probably missed some good ones and possibly added a snoozer or two. Tough to remember which ones were the good interviews especially when they’ve been on multiple times. They have 2 best of episodes(230 best of 2019, 137 best of 2018).

The golden era of this show is between Biz joining full time(about episode 70) and the JR incident(fall of 2019 I believe).

I didn’t include it in the list I provided but an early episode where they interview Mike Mottau is good and imo is the episode that perpetuates the myth that RA does coke during episodes. I’m very positive all the boys are ripping lines this episode and it’s 3 massholes drinking and talking and it’s pretty funny to hear their accents and shit.

Edit: while listening to the episodes/interviews you can get an idea as to who Biz and Whit were friends/party with and listening to them you find out the same people for them. Those people are usually good interviews.

Sean Burke and Brian Burke are both good interviewees, not necessarily funny but good listens. Sean Burke is a long interview(2 parts) and it’s just Biz talking with him but I remember enjoying it. Brian Burke has 2 interviews and some of his stories are told in both. I believe it’s the second episode where they get Burke in person, those are always better.

Also Marek and MacLean were decent episodes because they’re very good at the interviews and kind of come in and dominate the talking.

Holy shiz man thanks! Exactly what I was looking for.

The Chris Progner episode from earlier this year was awesome to. I never ever thought Prongs had that much of a personality and he was so open with his stories, especially with how much he sued to drink cause he didnt like being alone in St Louis at 21 years old.

The people that come in here with some blanket 'Barstool is trash' bullshit should really do some research.

Just because Deadspin and the likes chose to take shots at Barstool because it gets them clicks, doesn't mean it's based in facts. Not trying to change anyone's mind because I don't care but just do some research on things you choose to speak out on.

Barstool actually treats their employees really well and pays good. They were a little over the top before, but Nardini really turned everything around and did a good job with changing some of the bad stuff there. Look at the Call Her Daddy stuff - they gave both girls one helluva deal to stick around, even if only one of them accepted it.

Deadspin has no room to talk either. What a joke of a "news organization"

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
I could go in forever on the things/episodes I love from the show/crew. The only problem I ever have are the slight Bruins biases (they can deny but there 100% is one) & Whit talking a big game while being one of the softest people out there/his golf stories.
They definitely had a Bruins bias early on, but since the 2019 offseason they've hardly talked about them at all, and less than most teams, IMO.

Also, Whit is pretty honest in admitting how freaking soft he is. The guy bought himself a $4,000 toilet with a heated bidet for chrissakes, haha.

maxb221

Jun 24, 2014
Montreal
I have a 15 hour drive in a few days and I'd like to know which episodes to download for the ride.

Any recommendations when it comes to particularly good interviews?

Here are my fave ones: Crosby, Nate the GR8, Sean Burke, Cam Neely, Scott Gomez, Ron MacLean, John LeClair, Andy O'Brien, Stamkos, Terry Ryan, Keith Tkachuk, Colby Armstrong.

Enjoy!

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
RA makes the show. He's basically the moderator between whits golf stories and Biz scooping on the interviews.

So much complaining, enjoy the show or don't listen. It's not rocket science
You can enjoy something but still be critical of certain aspects.

RA is great at moderating between Biz/Whit and great at running the show outside of the interviews. His interview skills are pretty mediocre at best. People don’t listen to chiclets to hear bland questions like it’s a post game interview. RAs questions are usually like that and he is very good at disrupting the flow that Whit/Biz get going when they interview someone

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
The Chris Progner episode from earlier this year was awesome to. I never ever thought Prongs had that much of a personality and he was so open with his stories, especially with how much he sued to drink cause he didnt like being alone in St Louis at 21 years old.

Barstool actually treats their employees really well and pays good. They were a little over the top before, but Nardini really turned everything around and did a good job with changing some of the bad stuff there. Look at the Call Her Daddy stuff - they gave both girls one helluva deal to stick around, even if only one of them accepted it.

Deadspin has no room to talk either. What a joke of a "news organization"
The stuff that came out last year about the comments Deadspin employees were making on their own articles about rape and sexual assault were far worse than anything Barstool has ever done. When asked, Deadspin shrugged it off as "well that was a few years ago!". Pathetic.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
You can enjoy something but still be critical of certain aspects.

RA is great at moderating between Biz/Whit and great at running the show outside of the interviews. His interview skills are pretty mediocre at best. People don’t listen to chiclets to hear bland questions like it’s a post game interview. RAs questions are usually like that and he is very good at disrupting the flow that Whit/Biz get going when they interview someone

There's a difference between constructive criticism and flat out hate spewing.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
They have alluded to stuff like that countless times as some sick in joke. I recall the Lupul stuff, etc.

Also, a disgusting company represents you, do you just pretend that stuff doesn't exist and go about your business? Or are you not as culpable as the people that pay your checks because now you're condoning that behavior because you're fine taking the money that is generated by it.

Oh hey, I hate it when women are exploited and treated like trash.
Oh wait, they are paying my bills? Yeah, I'll just pretend it doesn't bother me.

Funny how Leipsic's comments resulted in him basically being fired from the NHL, etc. But an entire company that respresents far more disgusting behavior, is what the NHL allows its players to go and interview with. You see nothing wrong with that? You should.

It's hilarious, gotta change the name to the Redskins, gotta fire and fine players for saying obscene things about women and abuse towards women (although racial comments just get a fine, apparently), but people here are such huge fans of a podcast that is paid and produced by Barstool Sports, an absolutely disgusting exploitative company, like "Chive."
We really doing this again on another Chiclets thread? I mean if you don't enjoy it don't listen, it's pretty simple stuff man. A lot of people enjoy the podcast and Barstool Sports, plenty of other outlets and podcasts to enjoy instead of trying to rag on something in a thread entirely about the content.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
We really doing this again on another Chiclets thread? I mean if you don't enjoy it don't listen, it's pretty simple stuff man. A lot of people enjoy the podcast and Barstool Sports, plenty of other outlets and podcasts to enjoy instead of trying to rag on something in a thread entirely about the content.
It's the topic and I have discussed it, you don't need to reply to my post if my views on a podcast owned by a disgusting company irks you so.

Edit: No.

And this is on topic. This is about Spittin' Chiclets. This is about also who owns Spittin' Chiclets. My bad, my post isn't about praising their podcasts, but it's on topic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: burstnbloom

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
It's the topic and I have discussed it, you don't need to reply to my post if my views on a podcast owned by a disgusting company irks you so.

Edit: No.

I am black, the owner of Barstool Sports is a known racist. People enjoy that, knowing that. Yet everyone wants to suddenly put our plight, as a link in their instagram and facebook bio. People don't get to ignore that and then act like they're woke. I am sure a mod will edit this, because speaking about racism and misogyny isn't fun or cool, like a bunch of racists that own Barstool Sports and the underlying misogyny that Spittin' Chiclets exudes with the toxic bro-culture.

And this is on topic. This is about Spittin' Chiclets. This is about also who owns Spittin' Chiclets. My bad, my post isn't about praising their podcasts, but it's on topic.
Not suggesting you are wrong but I'm curious, what has Dave Portnoy done to suggest he is racist?

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
It's amazing how big of an ego he still has despite admitting that having a big ego in his NHL days didn't do him any favours.

I've never heard someone humble brag as much as he did in his SC interview.

fair play to him, the stuff he was doing ten years ago probably inspired a lot of the creativity you see today from young players

i think that if he was born in 96 rather than 86 he’d have had a long nhl career

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
fair play to him, the stuff he was doing ten years ago probably inspired a lot of the creativity you see today from young players

i think that if he was born in 96 rather than 86 he’d have had a long nhl career
The same issues he had back then he'd still have today.

The guy just wasn't a good enough hockey player to make it in the NHL. No shame in that.

Reactions: joestevens29

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
You're comparing a satiric show to a podcast where the guys are relying on their personality and less of an act, talking about "kills" aka women they've nailed, as a joke after the hockey stuff which Biz was notorious for.

Also, I don't care if you're a non white. When you drop the N word and think it's not racist, that's literally what we black people, are fighting about right now. It's no one's right to use that word outside of our community. No one's. There's literally zero justification for his black face and his usage of the N word, you understand that at all?

I didn't say anything about blackface or using the N word. If you would like my opinion on that, just ask. Please don't assume my stance. Also, if you want to use your race as a standing ground for your opinion, please don't tell me you don't care about my race.

As to your first paragraph, i'm comparing one form of comedy to another. Barstool also very heavily dabbles in satire..... You think PFT, when at dinner with his family, acts the same as he does on the Podcast? There is nuance to comedy, and if you take statements like calling one-night stands "kills" at face value, you will miss out on the nuance. Don't you think it's fair to assume that a guy calling casual sex a "kill" is doing so when he knows the women he is talking about also viewed their trysts with similar casualness? Has Biz done or said anything that would make you think that he would disrespect a woman? Plenty of women who run in the same circles also use that kind of language about men they've slept with.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I didn't say anything about blackface or using the N word. If you would like my opinion on that, just ask. Please don't assume my stance. Also, if you want to use your race as a standing ground for your opinion, please don't tell me you don't care about my race.

As to your first paragraph, i'm comparing one form of comedy to another. Barstool also very heavily dabbles in satire..... You think PFT, when at dinner with his family, acts the same as he does on the Podcast? There is nuance to comedy, and if you take statements like calling one-night stands "kills" at face value, you will miss out on the nuance. Don't you think it's fair to assume that a guy calling casual sex a "kill" is doing so when he knows the women he is talking about also viewed their trysts with similar casualness? Has Biz done or said anything that would make you think that he would disrespect a woman? Plenty of women who run in the same circles also use that kind of language about men they've slept with.
Your race, isn't the one being mocked.

So yes, yours is irrelevant in this case because it's not being ridiculed or mocked or having a degrading word that holds a lot of pain when spoken outside of our race, used. Also no race has a say in how anyone uses words by their own people, ever. So yes, Portnoy is not allowed to use that word. He's not allowed to do blackface and act like it's no big deal.

Biz used to go on and on about his "kills" in the earlier parts of his time on Spittin Chiclets. They way they discuss it and talk about it, yeah, it's misogynist and I am definitely not the only male to think that and there are plenty of women that do. Do you understand, at all, why Leipsic and his comments got him fired? Because they had more of the foul language, sure, but Spittin' Chiclets basically talks about women the same way, they might not at the moment because they know they will get in trouble because of the way everyone is digging up dirt on people, but you bet it was said and done and there's their previous podcasts as literal proof.

The way you defend Portnoy is also...just wow. You think Weinstein, Cosby, Kelly, etc all acted the way they do in private, in public? Yeah that's the other way around in your statement, which is basically the same justification.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009

So yes, yours is irrelevant in this case because it's not being ridiculed or mocked or having a degrading word that holds a lot of pain when spoken outside of our race, used. Also no race has a say in how anyone uses words by their own people, ever. So yes, Portnoy is not allowed to use that word. He's not allowed to do blackface and act like it's no big deal.

ok, pump the breaks here pal. Again, i haven't made any comment about race besides one about my own, which was the Kaepernick situation. In that case, it was being mocked and ridiculed and had a degrading word attached to it. What does it say about you when you ignore my comments about my race entirely? Do they have such little value to you that you ignored them and forget they existed??

And you continue to lump me in as someone who defends Dave using the N word and blackface despite me never referencing it! You havent even asked my opinion on it and still think you know what my opinion is! That's exactly your problem! you assume too much about people without finding out more information!

Ask me what i think before you continue to trash me

Biz used to go on and on about his "kills" in the earlier parts of his time on Spittin Chiclets. They way they discuss it and talk about it, yeah, it's misogynist and I am definitely not the only male to think that and there are plenty of women that do. Do you understand, at all, why Leipsic and his comments got him fired? Because they had more of the foul language, sure, but Spittin' Chiclets basically talks about women the same way, they might not at the moment because they know they will get in trouble because of the way everyone is digging up dirt on people, but you bet it was said and done and there's their previous podcasts as literal proof.

Brandon Leipsic was making rude comments about the physical appearance of his teammates SO and using other derogatory and misogynistic language repeatedly in a malicious manner. That's why he got fired. He crossed many, many lines across, including workplace violations. Nothing on SC has ever come close to that territory, ever. I've listened to every episode since it came out and was admittedly hesitant at first because of my misinformed opinion of Barstool. I found that nothing they said went outside the lines of what i thought was ethical and right (unlike some other Barstool content). "Kills" is rough slang for causal sex, and is not used to degrade women. It can and is used by men and women about both men and women. That is not misogyny, that is crude slang at worst. If that kind of language is offensive to you, that doesn't mean it is in its totality offensive.

Since their podcast archive is available, i'd challenge you to find clips of the guys "basically [talking] about women the same way" as Leipsic. Those are your words, so back them up. I'm open to being wrong, so prove it.

The way you defend Portnoy is also...just wow. You think Weinstein, Cosby, Kelly, etc all acted the way they do in private, in public? Yeah that's the other way around in your statement, which is basically the same justification.

I have defended Portnoy exactly once, which was saying i didn't find his joke about Middle Eastern people offensive. That's it. The person i said is likely different in private was PFT, who is not Portnoy. What kind of logical leap are you making here by taking a sports talk comedian (PFT) with no history of transgressions and comparing them to Harvey f***ing Weinstein!?!? Are you even aware of the poster you are replying to or paying attention to the conversation at large? Do you have any moderation in your approach to argument or are you just angrily typing and not paying attention.

This kind of blind and ignorant statement furthers a divide and prohibits meaningful discussion about sensitive topics. Your behavior is directly in violation of the very open discussion you wished to have when you made your post. If you refuse to read and contribute to the conversation in a meaningful and honest way, i'd rather the Mods delete your posts and issue you a warning. Your types of posts are why this forum can't have meaningful discussions about sports-adjacent topics.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The use of Blackface is a very sensitive issue

I am from Boston which has a deserved reputation BUT I also have seen Blacks use the N word at each other.

From a hockey standpoint, I was saddened when the Flyers threw Kate Smith into the trash because of some obscure song she recorded in the 1930s and only because an intern with the Yankees discovered it.

Reactions: Voight

Necrobutcher

Sep 20, 2018
Tampere, Finland
Who's been the worst guest in your opinion? My pick is that Islander fan actor guy. He was trying so hard to be cool that it seemed like he was auditioning for a Kevin Smith picture. So ungenuine and annoying.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Are you seriously telling me, a black man, that saying the N word wasn't that bad and that black face is fine because some moron PM in Canada did it?

Jesus f***ing christ.

Thats not what I said at all. I'm saying he said the N word while singing a song so there is context, lets not act like hes a massive racist who said it to demean someone. Its still NOT OK, but he wasnt trying to be malicious when he said it.

"Kills" is a slang term for casual sex. Its used by both genders. Maybe you've never heard of the word being used that way until recently, but its been a thing for a while.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad