Spittin' Chiclets Podcast - Part II

dre2112

Jul 17, 2007
US and A
RA is getting worse and worse every episode. He's becoming unbearable with how he has to be right about everything. Even when he's wrong he says he's right. He goes off on wild tangents, especially about the twitter trolls that live in his head 90% of the day. Then you have his terrible accent which makes it hard to understand him at times if there is anyone else talking at the same time, or him making obscure movie quotes and simpsons lines from 30 years ago in the dumbest times ever. Add to the fact that he's slurping on his own saliva into the mic every 3 seconds... it makes me want to vomit. I usually hit the 15sec skip part whenever he starts talking.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
RA is getting worse and worse every episode. He's becoming unbearable with how he has to be right about everything. Even when he's wrong he says he's right. He goes off on wild tangents, especially about the twitter trolls that live in his head 90% of the day. Then you have his terrible accent which makes it hard to understand him at times if there is anyone else talking at the same time, or him making obscure movie quotes and simpsons lines from 30 years ago in the dumbest times ever. Add to the fact that he's slurping on his own saliva into the mic every 3 seconds... it makes me want to vomit. I usually hit the 15sec skip part whenever he starts talking.
I hope when they do the pod in person that those around G wear ponchos whenever he says any word with an S in it.

57464949.jpg

(No one cares about your deck hockey tourney in Detroit)

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I think RA is just tired of Whit being a dick? Whit is kinda the grumpy heel of the podcast, I get it, but he just seems so ready to jump on the other guys’ mistakes in a dickish way lately. If he hadn’t been needling RA for the past 6 months over every little thing maybe RA wouldn’t be so defensive, but as is it’s just getting awkward at points- what used to be banter has turned into awkward exchanges a lot of the time. Just my take, if I didn’t still enjoy I wouldn’t listen, but if RA ever left I’d be done. If Whit left.. meh.

Edit- just an example of what I’m talkin about- Whit gives Biz crap for eating filet o’ fish, that’s fine. He continues, “Oh you’re a piece of trash bro!”- ok, you already made fun of him once, you now strengthened the insult- some people might think that’s a bit much, but whatever, Biz is chill. But then Whit adds “you went there with your dad..”. Hold up. To me, that could be seen as a dig at Biz’s dad as well, which.. wouldn’t be cool at all for me, personally. Just my 2 cents, seems like Whit adds 5 pounds of salt when he used to add just 1.

Last edited:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
RA just doesn't fit in at all with the hockey crowd. You can almost hear genuine contempt when Whitney talks to or about him. I am split between feeling bad for RA and wondering what the hell he is doing there being so awkward around the players. The podcast would be so much better with someone more polished instead of RA.

He tries too hard to fit in most of the time.

Happens all the time in business. A guy starts a company from the ground up, builds it into some success, then either brings in private money or goes public. The PE firm or public shareholders bring in an experienced CEO and the founder goes on the board or becomes an advisor or whatever.

Replace him with someone suited for the job. Give him a nice payout and let him do some social media stuff or whatever.

If I'm remembering correctly, he was only hired by Barstool full time a year or two ago, which says a lot IMO. Agree with you, replace him and just let him write articles about his crappy hockey takes/gambling picks.

Edit - 2 years ago. & he was a janitor beforehand apprently.

I don’t get the RA hate either. Like someone said above, I think it’s an interesting combination. A once highly touted, non-physical defenseman from America in Whit, a 4th line grinding forward from Canada in Biz, and a hockey super fan with eclectic views/tastes with hockey connections in RA. All with personality, all make each other laugh.

They may not have been the first hockey podcast, but they put entertainment hockey podcasts on the map, in my opinion. There will always be haters of the original, especially after new ones are born in their wake.

What connections does he have exactly? :huh:

He's basically a nobody degenerate gambler who got extremely lucky and has ridden Biz/Whits coattails the last while.

I don't feel bad for him, but I also think he's an important part of the show when they aren't doing interviews. It's just that he's so FULL of himself at times, and it's so bizarre how he can't handle being wrong and always has to try and save face. It's entertaining when Whit or Biz put him in his place.

I have disliked him since the first time I listened to SC. My absolute biggest pet peeve is when he jumps in during interveiws... like the shut the hell up man and let the guy talk. Nobody wants to hear your opinion or hear you ask him what movies hes watched recently. Hes so obnoxious and honestly brings no value to the podcast. He simply cant accept the fact that the podcast isnt all about him and everyone tunes in to hear Biz/Whit/Guests and without them he'd still be an obscure Barstool writer.

Last edited:

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
I think RA is just tired of Whit being a dick? Whit is kinda the grumpy heel of the podcast, I get it, but he just seems so ready to jump on the other guys’ mistakes in a dickish way lately. If he hadn’t been needling RA for the past 6 months over every little thing maybe RA wouldn’t be so defensive, but as is it’s just getting awkward at points- what used to be banter has turned into awkward exchanges a lot of the time. Just my take, if I didn’t still enjoy I wouldn’t listen, but if RA ever left I’d be done. If Whit left.. meh.

Edit- just an example of what I’m talkin about- Whit gives Biz crap for eating filet o’ fish, that’s fine. He continues, “Oh you’re a piece of trash bro!”- ok, you already made fun of him once, you now strengthened the insult- some people might think that’s a bit much, but whatever, Biz is chill. But then Whit adds “you went there with your dad..”. Hold up. To me, that could be seen as a dig at Biz’s dad as well, which.. wouldn’t be cool at all for me, personally. Just my 2 cents, seems like Whit adds 5 pounds of salt when he used to add just 1.

Whitney seems like the near-40 year old dick who never truly "left" high school.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
He tries too hard to fit in most of the time.
I have disliked him since the first time I listened to SC. My absolute biggest pet peeve is when you jumps in during interveiws... like the shut the hell up man and let the guy talk. Nobody wants to hear your opinion or hear you ask him what movies hes watched recently. Hes so obnoxious and honestly brings no value to the podcast. He simply cant accept the fact that the podcast isnt all about him and everyone tunes in to hear Biz/Whit and without them he'd still be an obscure Barstool writer.

I agree with this. This one was the worst...one of the cringiest things I've ever sat through as a podcast listener and the moment I lost all faith in RA. I think I can pinpoint this interview as when I severely cut down on how much I listen to Spittin Chiclets:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I agree with this. This one was the worst...one of the cringiest things I've ever sat through as a podcast listener and the moment I lost all faith in RA. I think I can pinpoint this interview as when I severely cut down on how much I listen to Spittin Chiclets:

Funny, thats the same case with me :laugh:

Reactions: WaW

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
He make reference 30 year old movies but he does not often reference obscure movies. The last film I recall him discussing at length was Thief. It's a classic.

The Blunder Years

Nov 11, 2013
RA is just a Boston fan that is the equivalent to any NHL teams reporters. It’s comical he gets to sit with two former NHLers and participate in the interviews. Maybe if he got players to talk about anything but basic hockey related topics.

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax

Might not be the podcast for you. Busting balls is common in hockey culture and that is a lot of what Whit brings to the podcast. I'd recommend 31 Thoughts or Dreger and Ferraro.

Reactions: Voight

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Might not be the podcast for you. Busting balls is common in hockey culture and that is a lot of what Whit brings to the podcast. I'd recommend 31 Thoughts or Dreger and Ferraro.

Thanks for the slightly patrionizing response, I played bro, I know. I used to appreciate Whit’s ball-busting, my point is that he kinda keeps digging these days in a way a lot of people would grow sick of. He used to bust one ball, now he’s going for 3 each time, and that’s a ball too many. To his credit he’s not at all sensitive himself, so it’s not like he’s a hypocrite, he’s just kinda a dick imo. If you like him, sweet, I just think he’d be the guy in the locker room who doesn’t know when to quit roasting. Maybe he wasn’t even like that as a player, it’s just the shtick he’s gotten into on Chiclets.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
Thanks for the slightly patrionizing response, I played bro, I know. I used to appreciate Whit’s ball-busting, my point is that he kinda keeps digging these days in a way a lot of people would grow sick of. He used to bust one ball, now he’s going for 3 each time, and that’s a ball too many. To his credit he’s not at all sensitive himself, so it’s not like he’s a hypocrite, he’s just kinda a dick imo. If you like him, sweet, I just think he’d be the guy in the locker room who doesn’t know when to quit roasting. Maybe he wasn’t even like that as a player, it’s just the shtick he’s gotten into on Chiclets.
With current and other former players Whit is just giving giving and taking shit because that's what guys do. It is clear he loathes RA, so it can come off mean-spirited and taken too far. RA is an easy target, so it can ssem like Whit is bullying.

The fact of the matter is that RA can be a dick. More imoortantly, he can't hang and that leads to friction in the room while also dragging down the podcast quality.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I have always defended RA (despite not really enjoying him) because in reality it’s his podcast. He started it and put all the initial work in. However I agree with you guys that it’s just unbearable at this point. When they brought up Barkov winning the Selke but instead of talking about Barkov’s great season RA just goes on a complete tangent complaining about a writer who didn’t have Bergeron in the top 3 (despite many writers not having him there) it just became too much.

And yeah the accent is tough. I know it’s just where you grow up and all but it’s hard to listen to. It took me about 10 episodes 3 years ago to actually even be able to tolerate it.

He’s an arrogant know it’s all. He’s condescending in all the facts he throws out and a lot of them aren’t even correct. I love nothing better than when Whitney questions something and Grinelli looks it up to prove him wrong. He’s become very cringe.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Grinelli is actually pretty awesome. How many times he has to bite his lip as these three morons fumble on air.

Grubauer, the third Vezina finalist was Grubauer. Jesus Christ guys.

Or RA insisting that the players would try 2% harder because Shea Weber was in the box, even though they were fighting for their playoff lives like whit pointed out. Instead of laughing it off and saying fair point he doubles down.

Teddy purcel, they might as well have invited a bolts poster on the way he was fellating the team. I get it, he played for them, knows the guys, but the timing of it during the finals?

Biz is actually a genuinely nice dude. He can try too hard sometimes but generally plays the jester role fairly well. The beer in a shaker cup was pretty funny and pretty relatable.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Stopped listening a while back. Was great at first but just got old after a while. Kind of how it goes for most podcasts/shows/whatever when they go on for this long. 3 episodes a week is definitely a mistake.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
They are down to 1 episode a week now.
Ah thanks, should've done that from the start.

I was already losing interest in Chiclets and then WFH eliminated my commute so I don't listen to many podcasts in general now. Definitely was hilarious in it's glory days, maybe I'll give it another go eventually.

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
They don't generally do much for me but they did give the closest to an actually interesting Crosby interview that I have ever heard. So there is that.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
This amount of negativity is quite incredible and it seems to be coming from the people who actually listen to the show. It's just entertainment. They're human beings talking shit and they have their annoying habits like all of us. Lighten up, please.
It's perfectly normal to enjoy the content but tire of the three strong personalities that make up the pod.

Reactions: BestPlayerAvailable

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad