Spittin' Chiclets Podcast - Part II

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
I've found a lot of their best podcasts have come from the guys who don't have the flashy name. Not that Chris Nilan isn't a huge name. He's just not a Sidney Crosby, although if I recall, they did get Stammer and I thought I remembered thinking his was really good for a current superstar player. A lot of their former enforcer episodes are the best ones they have. Especially the old timers.

Pronger and Burke are my two favs

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I don't feel bad for him, but I also think he's an important part of the show when they aren't doing interviews. It's just that he's so FULL of himself at times, and it's so bizarre how he can't handle being wrong and always has to try and save face. It's entertaining when Whit or Biz put him in his place.
This is actually something I never noticed about him. I just thought Whit was being mean to him because they're not on the same level. I'll have to pay more attention, although I don't tune in as much as I used to.

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
RA just doesn't fit in at all with the hockey crowd. You can almost hear genuine contempt when Whitney talks to or about him. I am split between feeling bad for RA and wondering what the hell he is doing there being so awkward around the players. The podcast would be so much better with someone more polished instead of RA.
I'm not an RA fan but I'm starting to think he's the best you can do for that sort of role. If they had a Jeff Marek or Elliott Friedman dweeb in there in would ruin the show.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
I guess it's a tough call to kick him off his own podcast eh?

Still... maybe it's worth a shot
Happens all the time in business. A guy starts a company from the ground up, builds it into some success, then either brings in private money or goes public. The PE firm or public shareholders bring in an experienced CEO and the founder goes on the board or becomes an advisor or whatever.

Replace him with someone suited for the job. Give him a nice payout and let him do some social media stuff or whatever.

Reactions: Voight

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Does G have some bad lisp or something? Anytime he pronounces an S, it sounds so odd.

AdvancedPressure

Jan 19, 2021
Did anyone catch Avery's comments about the vaccine and natural immunity? They changed the topic so fast afterwards haha. I mean I totally get it though. I'm pretty sure Rogan got scolded by the White House for suggesting that healthy young people might rely on their immune systems as opposed to a vaccine a few months back. Surprised they didn't edit it out, given the current political climate.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Did anyone catch Avery's comments about the vaccine and natural immunity? They changed the topic so fast afterwards haha. I mean I totally get it though. I'm pretty sure Rogan got scolded by the White House for suggesting that healthy young people might rely on their immune systems as opposed to a vaccine a few months back. Surprised they didn't edit it out, given the current political climate.
Haha yea it was a bit cringeworthy. I’m shocked he moved to California if he hates liberals so much.

I really like Biz, but I’m now a bigger Cam and Strick podcast fan. Their guests are fantastic; spittin chiclets had Avery back for the fourth time and Kerry Fraser was also a repeat this week. It was the biggest half ass guest week.

Last edited:

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Haha yea it was a bit cringeworthy. I’m shocked he moved to California if he hates liberals so much.

I really like Biz, but I’m now a bigger Cam and Strick podcast fan. Their guests are fantastic; spittin chiclets had Avery back for the fourth time and Kerry Fraser was also a repeat this week. It was the biggest half ass guest week.

Kerry Fraser is a great speaker for radio, but for all the years he's reffed, he sure sticks to the same few stories. He's been on TSN radio in Edmonton as a guest a handful of times a few years ago and recited the exact same couple stories.

Reactions: bigtim1988

D1az

Oct 29, 2009
Finland

I was slightly surprised that they didn't cut him off but on the other hand is it kind of sad that the state of discussion is so bad that you risk limb and career if you discuss this.
The narrative was earlier that everyone should get vaccinated but the W.H.O. itself changed the guidelines regarding children to wait and see for more data.
So it will be interesting to see where politicians, bureaucrats and corporations come down on this, this time around. Been an absolute sh-tfest of changing directions and promises during the last 1.5 years and I hope discussions will be allowed, especially as politicians and bureaucrats get caught all the time breaking their own rules.

Children and adolescents tend to have milder disease compared to adults, so unless they are part of a group at higher risk of severe COVID-19, it is less urgent to vaccinate them than older people, those with chronic health conditions and health workers.
More evidence is needed on the use of the different COVID-19 vaccines in children to be able to make general recommendations on vaccinating children against COVID-19.

COVID-19 Vaccines Advice

zooperdooper

May 13, 2009
I haven't listened to the podcast since late 2019 so can someone tell me if RA is still doing his gambling picks/puck line Jesus shtick?

I always cringed listening to it back in the day as someone who has worked in the sports betting space for years. A typical degenerate that has amnesia when it comes to his losses but hypes up his wins like his a genius.

pucksakes666

Mar 8, 2018
How’s the quality of the pod cast been this year? I don’t have to drive as far for work so I don’t listen lol, is it better or going down hill now?

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
How’s the quality of the pod cast been this year? I don’t have to drive as far for work so I don’t listen lol, is it better or going down hill now?
After listening to other podcasts, their guests are pitiful.

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax

Avery moves the needle. Kerry Fraser was a great guest to have on at that time to discuss the hot topic of reffing.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
These guys are hilarious - I try to listen to this podcast and pucksoup on my spare time. I can't do podcasts like 31 thoughts and the Dreger one ... they are too rigid and not fun at all. Basically the typical Canadian hockey media.

Reactions: Yackiberg8

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
If you could combine the quality of guests Cam and Strick get with some of the personalities from Spittin Chiclets, it would be fantastic.

Get rid of RA, and keep G’s microphone on mute, the pod would improve tremendously.

jetsfan91

May 29, 2013
I’m surprised everyone hates RA so much. He has a great voice for podcasts, and has genuine chemistry with Whit and Bizz. It’s great to have a normal guy who’s just a fan of the game. The one thing I actually don’t like as much is when Whit and Bizz talk about the game itself. They’re great in the interviews but they clearly don’t follow the game as closely anymore. Theres teams they have takes on where you could tell they know very little or nothing about the current team but they are entertaining and good on interviews.

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
I don’t get the RA hate either. Like someone said above, I think it’s an interesting combination. A once highly touted, non-physical defenseman from America in Whit, a 4th line grinding forward from Canada in Biz, and a hockey super fan with eclectic views/tastes with hockey connections in RA. All with personality, all make each other laugh.

They may not have been the first hockey podcast, but they put entertainment hockey podcasts on the map, in my opinion. There will always be haters of the original, especially after new ones are born in their wake.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I’m surprised everyone hates RA so much. He has a great voice for podcasts, and has genuine chemistry with Whit and Bizz. It’s great to have a normal guy who’s just a fan of the game. The one thing I actually don’t like as much is when Whit and Bizz talk about the game itself. They’re great in the interviews but they clearly don’t follow the game as closely anymore. Theres teams they have takes on where you could tell they know very little or nothing about the current team but they are entertaining and good on interviews.

Funny you should say that. In the season previews show, RA described the Canucks as upgrading their goaltending by letting Markstrom walk and signing Holtby.
He also didn't think Draisaitl should have even been in the conversation for the Hart last year.
Most recently when the awards finalists got announced, RA led the Selke conversation by asking Biz and Whit which one between Bergeron and Stone would win it.

There's a number of uninformed takes RA has had. It's not just Biz and Whit. The only difference is that Biz and Whit admit ad joke around that theIr opinions are usually way off, whereas RA is arrogant enough to present his opinions as facts.

Last edited:

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I have to admit, Sean Avery as a hockey player and post career always struck me as an interesting fellow. He could definitely go offsides at time with his actions and mouth , but it was entertaining in a weird way. I started to listen to his podcast a few months ago. I listened for about 12 episodes and then opted to delete it. I thought if I was going to spend an hour listening to “something” when I’m out for exercise there had to be something more that was at least humorous, enlightening, educational or all of the above. Averys pod is a mix of his mixed up political views and at time’s, uninformed editorials on current events, coupled with his desire to beat up anyone that he dislikes. The content was vacuous, at best, with the exception of a couple of guests that he interviewed.

jetsfan91

May 29, 2013
Funny you should say that. In the season previews show, RA described the Canucks as upgrading their goaltending by letting Markstrom walk and signing Holtby.
He also didn't think Draisaitl should have even been in the conversation for the Hart last year.
Most recently when the awards finalists got announced, RA led the Selke conversation by asking Biz and Whit which one between Bergeron and Stone would win it.

There's a number of uninformed takes RA has had. It's not just Biz and Whit. The only difference is that Biz and Whit admit ad joke around that theIr opinions are usually way off, whereas RA is arrogant enough to present his opinions as facts.
Yeah I mean I realized a long time ago if you’re looking for a show that has great knowledge for the game with a good analysis Spittin Chiclets isn’t the show for that. They have great banter though, and the interviews are great.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Another repeat guest this week in Purcell.

getting lazy, boys.

Last edited:
Reactions: shello

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
These guys are hilarious - I try to listen to this podcast and pucksoup on my spare time. I can't do podcasts like 31 thoughts and the Dreger one ... they are too rigid and not fun at all. Basically the typical Canadian hockey media.
I listen to 31 Thoughts and Ray & Dregs on 1.5x speed. Greatly enhances the experience.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad