Spittin' Chiclets Podcast - Part II

amjay13

Jan 7, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I liked MC at the beginning, but their general league/news discussion is really stale for me now after listening to them for 40+ episodes. The interviews are still decent but Upshall, O'Brien and Hayes personalities just aren't doing it for me anymore. I think they need an RA-type host that can be a lightning rod for the friendly insults and add the random, off-the-wall variety that a Chiclets episode has.

Agreed, replace Hayes with someone for that role. Hayes brings down the show and has zero personality. Good enough guy I'm sure but podcast host is not for everyone.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
Agreed, replace Hayes with someone for that role. Hayes brings down the show and has zero personality. Good enough guy I'm sure but podcast host is not for everyone.

Agreed. Pretty much everything he says is a repeat of what one of the other guys just said, and he prefaces his comment as such.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The Torrey Mitchell Scare Tactics story was hilarious. I don't think I could ever forgive JR for pulling that shit.
I've heard a few of the stories from the Mitchell episode. I'll have to listen to the whole thing, from what I've heard so far I can't stop laughing.

brentashton

Sofa Counterweight
Jan 21, 2018
The Torrey Mitchell Scare Tactics story was hilarious. I don't think I could ever forgive JR for pulling that shit.
RAs story at the end about him trying out for Jeopardy and his “human interest” story involving him naked bungee jumping while at South Padre Island was also funny. I cant get that image out of my head as he dangled upside down. The show is like anything else out there. It’s not going to hit a home run every time out, but it still has way more hits than misses. They haven’t reached the end of their creative cycle yet, which is very remarkable for a 300+episode podcast.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

That was by far the best story ever told on the podcast, and there have been some good ones. They used to make those cartoons based on the stories...I would LOVE if they did one of that.

Reactions: dick341

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
Knuckles was fantastic. Chiclets has been killing the interviews as of late.

I've found a lot of their best podcasts have come from the guys who don't have the flashy name. Not that Chris Nilan isn't a huge name. He's just not a Sidney Crosby, although if I recall, they did get Stammer and I thought I remembered thinking his was really good for a current superstar player. A lot of their former enforcer episodes are the best ones they have. Especially the old timers.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Does anyone like the golf discussion? Not a fan. Today there was golf take before the intros were completed. This should never happen again.

They mentioned golf for like 20-30 seconds in passing because it was the Final Round of the US Open, maybe the biggest tournament in the country, and they're avid golfers. So are a lot of their base. I don't see the problem

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I prefer the retired journeyman guests, the current star players are mostly boring media-trained interviews no matter which show they are on.

The show just feels stale and maybe a little too corporate. I don't think it has to do with guests. I hate to say it because he seems like a good genuine guy, but RA has to get off the mic. Kind of a wet blanket over thr show. The missin curfew podcast just feels so much crisper and I think a lot of it has to do with the lack of an anchor like RA.
RA just doesn't fit in at all with the hockey crowd. You can almost hear genuine contempt when Whitney talks to or about him. I am split between feeling bad for RA and wondering what the hell he is doing there being so awkward around the players. The podcast would be so much better with someone more polished instead of RA.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
They mentioned golf for like 20-30 seconds in passing because it was the US Open, maybe the biggest tournament in the US every year and they're avid golfers. So are a lot of their base. I don't see the problem
Episode is not over. They routinely end the show with lengthy golf discussion and have for awhile.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
RA just doesn't fit in at all with the hockey crowd. You can almost hear genuine contempt when Whitney talks to or about him. I am split between feeling bad for RA and wondering what the hell he is doing there being so awkward around the players. The podcast would be so much better with someone more polished instead of RA.
RA is there because he started the podcast.

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
I don't feel bad for him, but I also think he's an important part of the show when they aren't doing interviews. It's just that he's so FULL of himself at times, and it's so bizarre how he can't handle being wrong and always has to try and save face. It's entertaining when Whit or Biz put him in his place.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->