Spittin' Chiclets Podcast - Part II

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
I prefer the retired journeyman guests, the current star players are mostly boring media-trained interviews no matter which show they are on.

The show just feels stale and maybe a little too corporate. I don't think it has to do with guests. I hate to say it because he seems like a good genuine guy, but RA has to get off the mic. Kind of a wet blanket over thr show. The missin curfew podcast just feels so much crisper and I think a lot of it has to do with the lack of an anchor like RA.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Damn, you guys are hard to please!

Personally really enjoy the episodes still. Has not gotten stagnate for me yet.

A love hearing from the minor league/European players just as much as I do the NHL stars. They've got great stories and provides a real in-depth look at what most players go through aside from the Connor McDavid's and Sidney Crosby's of the league.

Little shocked to see some people complaining at the lack of NHL stars they get on the show. Over the last ~10 episodes they've had Pastrnak, Ed Jovanovski, Keith Yandle, Johnny Hockey, Ryan Callahan, McAvoy, and Bob McKenzie. Not sure saying "they only get their friends on" is accurate.

I still love it but I really wish they’d never gone to one long podcast a week. I know I can split it up but it’s not the same to me when the convo doesn’t feel current. That’s my only real beef with what they’ve done on the show.

Complaining about guests is strange, especially given that all the NHL guys are in the major grind stage of the season.

Reactions: Joe Sakic

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Look at the main guest of 2020.

Pastrnak, Weise, Corson, Howard, Kadri/Jovonovski, Sutter/Yandle, Stone/Marek, Shelley, Dillon, Thorburn, Callahan/Gaudreau, McAvoy/Wilson, McKenzie/Shelley, Tkachuk/MacKinnon, Eichel/Doan, Jones/Ferarro.

When you’re complaining about having guys like Pastrnak, Jovanovski, MacKinnon, Eichel, Doan on then hockey podcasts aren’t for you.

BTW 6/25 I would say are buddies/former teammates/Boston guys. Odd complaint.

Truthfully, I don't understand this post. You also don't know what year it is. Solid drop in.

Last edited:
Reactions: Voight

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
No.

"Yo, that bad used to be good... but now they have a big following, so they're no longer good anymore"
Way to put words in my mouth, wrongly paraphrase what I said, and not even write your thoughts correctly. I just thought they lost something, I'm not the only one. I started when it was just RA/Whit/Grinelli in the basement. People started listening to and enjoy the podcast in this context, now they're going on all these elaborate trips sponsored by huge corporations, have their own gambling channel, and a massively successful drink. It doesn't have the same charm and it's not surprising that when things change, the feelings of the the listeners change too. It's common sense, if you have a problem detecting nuance in a situation then that's your fault.

Joe Sakic

Kaut + 1st
Jul 19, 2010
Colorado
5 out of the 7 people you named fall into the category of "their friends" and/or "local Boston players" (which is basically another wing of "Whit's friends".) Your post actually supports the theory that they are largely drawing from Biz and Whit's cliques.

And, again, that's fine. I understand that's how it is, especially at the start. It's easier for Biz and Whit to just bust out their cell phones and start throwing out texts to the circles they are comfortable in for guests. My point is that well is eventually going to run dry, if it hasn't started to already.
Really? What makes you think it will run dry soon?

Their guests seem just as good if not even better than they were 1+ year ago.

stopclickbait

Aug 28, 2018
There are people who are better at sports gambling than others. Not many, but they exist. Before becoming a Jeopardy! champion James Holzhauer was a full time sports gambler, for example. RA is clearly not one of those people. The show is too long as it is and even if it weren't I don't know if there's any sports podcast out there that is actually better served by designating a regular segment for someone to ramble about their "picks" for which little to no thought was dedicated.

Just the way the world works these days. Make lame narrative based picks never talk about CLV, never bring up how many units you are down on the year. Only talk about the wins easy game.

The show would be so much better if they got rid of RA.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
I love Rear Ads. Because of his recommendations I've added The Boys, Tiger King, and now My Octopus Teacher to things I've watched and thoroughly enjoyed. If Ted Lasso was on a normal streaming platform and not Apple then I'd add that to my list as well. RA is kind of like Brendan Morrison of the West Coast Express of the early 2000's - not a star himself, but he lets the other guys play their game. He also just seems like a really nice guy and he fits with the ethos of the show of always being ready to work to put out the best product.

Mikey G sounds so smug now whenever he's on the mic compared to a few years ago when he seemed too shy to even speak up. Can't blame the guy though, if I was in my mid 20s and the producer of one of the best podcasts out there, all while living in NYC, meeting celebrities, and hauling in an investment banker salary, then I'd be pretty damn smug too.

Biz and Whit are first team all star, hall of fame beauts. No need to discuss them any further.

Reactions: amjay13

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
Truthfully, I don't understand this post. You also don't know what year it is. Solid drop in.
You are on here saying they mostly draw from their group of friends/Boston area players and that this "well" will run dry.

A small percentage of their recent podcasts have been guys who fit that criteria. You also assume the Boston area will stop producing/acquiring NHL players (ie. McAvoy, Pastrnak, Eichel, Gaudreau, etc.).

My post shows you that you are incorrect.

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
I love Rear Ads. Because of his recommendations I've added The Boys, Tiger King, and now My Octopus Teacher to things I've watched and thoroughly enjoyed. If Ted Lasso was on a normal streaming platform and not Apple then I'd add that to my list as well. RA is kind of like Brendan Morrison of the West Coast Express of the early 2000's - not a star himself, but he lets the other guys play their game. He also just seems like a really nice guy and he fits with the ethos of the show of always being ready to work to put out the best product.

Mikey G sounds so smug now whenever he's on the mic compared to a few years ago when he seemed too shy to even speak up. Can't blame the guy though, if I was in my mid 20s and the producer of one of the best podcasts out there, all while living in NYC, meeting celebrities, and hauling in an investment banker salary, then I'd be pretty damn smug too.

Biz and Whit are first team all star, hall of fame beauts. No need to discuss them any further.
I've been appreciating RA more as well. He helps keep the show fresh and interesting during the between interview segments of each episode. I enjoy the random non-hockey discussion quite a bit-- it's fresh and a break from their regular formulaic talk, and he's a big part of it. The show also needs a lightning rod for Biz and Whit to insult or make fun of. RA fits that role pretty good.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
The Cam and Strick podcast is underrated too. Cam is pretty hilarious with his meathead ways and they get good guests like Mike Keenan and Lou Lamoriello that Chiclets probably can't get.
I’d rather listen to Chiclets make fun of Lamoriello and his accent than listening to that dinosaur explain why facial hair can hurt a hockey teams chances to win the SC on another pod.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida

If you looked up a list of the top streaming shows, you'd find them that way too.

Reactions: sabresEH and Voight

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Not a bad comparison but also a little wrong. He cuts them off from time and time and I cannot stand him in interviews.

I personally would prefer RA not being there but I get that he helped start it or whatever so were stuck with him.

oldunclehue

Jun 16, 2010
This is so stupid. Se let's say I don't enjoy a burger I ate, I can't complain about it because I can choose to not eat it again?!

If you paid for the burger, feel free and complain. Best bet complain to the person who made it, maybe you'll get your money back.

This situation is more like getting a free burger and then trying to tell a bunch of people you don't know how bad the free burger was. No one cares, its free and you don't like it, move on and quit complaining.

Spittin' Chiclets is free, it also requires you to download it, make a physical effort to get the show and listen to it. If you didn't like an episode or don't like it for whatever reason, delete it, don't download it and go enjoy your day....because NO ONE CARES.

Reactions: Voight

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
Missin Curfew giving me nostalgia for how good SC used to be.
I liked MC at the beginning, but their general league/news discussion is really stale for me now after listening to them for 40+ episodes. The interviews are still decent but Upshall, O'Brien and Hayes personalities just aren't doing it for me anymore. I think they need an RA-type host that can be a lightning rod for the friendly insults and add the random, off-the-wall variety that a Chiclets episode has.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad