Spittin' Chiclets Podcast - Part II

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I’m sure a lot of people like him the most. That’s fine.

But what’s going to happen in a few years when people stop caring about the people he brings in like Ryan Malone or some obscure idiot from Boston? Do you think anyone will care about Yandle once he retires? He will have no value at that point.
The best guys on there are the retiree's because they really let it fly. Yandle probably gets even better once he retires. Ryan Whitney is the witty comedy, I find it a little shocking that people struggle to find what he brings to the table. He gets the other guys going. He adds another dimension, this is what a hockey dressing room feels like thats the appeal.
I’m sorry but if you listen to a Whit podcast about his golfing rounds, then you need to get a hobby of some sort. I love to play golf, but the last thing I want to hear is a shot-by-shot recap of another person playing golf.

To each their own. At least he would be somewhat passionate about golfing. Maybe he would do more than the bare minimum.
He is hilarious thats why.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I don’t get it. Nobody forces people to listen to a podcast. If you don’t like the people, then don’t listen?
You can still listen to a podcast even if you don’t like all of the hosts. I listen to the interviews and intro, and find myself fast forwarding more and more.

Reactions: BHD

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
You can still listen to a podcast even if you don’t like all of the hosts. I listen to the interviews and intro, and find myself fast forwarding more and more.
I understand what you’re saying. I’ve noticed myself fast forwarding a bit more than I used to, even during the season when they had stuff to talk about.

It’s pretty clear Whitney’s personality is all he brings to the pod, but for most that’s okay because he’s the best personality imo. Biz is great, was better before the Roenick incident and new GF, but he’s no Whit.

When Whit gets going he’s a total reminder of the locker room days. He’ll torch ya, he’ll ride ya, but at the end of the day he’s your brother and he’ll do whatever for you. I get that he isn’t for everyone, but he clearly has a voice/personality that people want to hear.

Newusername

Jun 26, 2013
Biz>>>>>RA=Whit

Whit doesn’t even keep up to date on the sport. Literally guy has half a clue on what’s going on in the league

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I don’t get it. Nobody forces people to listen to a podcast. If you don’t like the people, then don’t listen?

Agreed, for myself personally I just skip to the interviews. Mainly because I cant stand RA, and also because I don't care for whatever else the group wants to talk about :naughty:

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

Whit is such a good golfer, wonder what his handicap is. I'd bet he's close to scratch. He has the form of a Tour pro.

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
What annoyed me about the Brian Burke episode is that he brought up the tax reason as to why players don't want to play in Canada, again.

In an episode from about a month ago, it was mentioned by Biz that some other person (a columnist I think? Can't remember his name maybe someone here can help me with that), that Burke wasn't completely correct and that the tax situation in Canada is very misconstrued and that players don't actually pay as much in taxes and most people think.

So why the hell didn't Biz or anyone else last episode bring that up to Burke!?

It would have been the perfect opportunity to set the record straight on the subject.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
What annoyed me about the Brian Burke episode is that he brought up the tax reason as to why players don't want to play in Canada, again.

In an episode from about a month ago, it was mentioned by Biz that some other person (a columnist I think? Can't remember his name maybe someone here can help me with that), that Burke wasn't completely correct and that the tax situation in Canada is very misconstrued and that players don't actually pay as much in taxes and most people think.

It would have been the perfect opportunity to set the record straight on the subject.
McDavid paid like 7 mill in taxes last year. They still pay a ton and guys probably don't take kindly to that

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC

If I remember correctly it was Allan Walsh(agent) who had made the comment on Twitter about it. And I didn’t really read what he said, but I think the jist of it was there were certain things players can do that lessen the blow. But if you don’t have a good enough agent they won’t find those loopholes for you. I think more than anything Allan Walsh was promoting that his agency will find these loopholes for a player.

As for them not bringing it up, nothing kills the vibe more than going on a tax tangent on a podcast more for telling stories.

Reactions: Gurglesons

I Hate Tie DOMI

Jul 2, 2002
Ontario

Could also be the timing when they recorded the Burke interview. These past few episodes have all been pre-recorded since they went on break in November. Could have interviewed Burke before that and then it came out after. Not sure.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

I think Burke was talking about how players tend to put Canadian teams at the top of their no trade lists. He said it was because of taxes, but I think we have to also factor in the privacy and weather elements.

I don't want to get into a debate about high or low the taxes are in canada, but if cost of living was such a decisive factor for players, then Manhattan wouldn't consistently be the most desired destination for free agents.

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
McDavid paid like 7 mill in taxes last year. They still pay a ton and guys probably don't take kindly to that

If I remember correctly it was Allan Walsh(agent) who had made the comment on Twitter about it. And I didn’t really read what he said, but I think the jist of it was there were certain things players can do that lessen the blow. But if you don’t have a good enough agent they won’t find those loopholes for you. I think more than anything Allan Walsh was promoting that his agency will find these loopholes for a player.

As for them not bringing it up, nothing kills the vibe more than going on a tax tangent on a podcast more for telling stories.

Could also be the timing when they recorded the Burke interview. These past few episodes have all been pre-recorded since they went on break in November. Could have interviewed Burke before that and then it came out after. Not sure.

I think Burke was talking about how players tend to put Canadian teams at the top of their no trade lists. He said it was because of taxes, but I think we have to also factor in the privacy and weather elements.

I don't want to get into a debate about high or low the taxes are in canada, but if cost of living was such a decisive factor for players, then Manhattan wouldn't consistently be the most desired destination for free agents.

Some valid points, I forgot that a couple interviews ago they actually asked one of the guys who he was going for in the Finals despite it ending over a month earlier. And it's fair that hockey fans probably don't want to hear an MSNBC/BNN financial debate on such a podcast either.

I guess I'm just in denial about the fact that Canadian teams can't (literally) even buy a Stanley Cup haha

KickHimPedro

Dec 10, 2011
I can’t believe there are people who listen to the podcast who don’t like Whitney. Why are you listening? He’s the show. The other guys are the support.
His ability to go off on a rant and make it funny and interesting is a rare talent. The fact it’s a hockey podcast is a bonus. The fact that he’s a former NHL’er is a huge bonus. But he’s the show.
I like Biz. He adds a lot. But the show would quickly become tired with him leading the way.
RA is ok. He speaks way too much on the older podcasts, but I do like is role on the show. The super fan.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

He also said media, and being recognized all the time.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
I can’t believe there are people who listen to the podcast who don’t like Whitney. Why are you listening? He’s the show. The other guys are the support.
His ability to go off on a rant and make it funny and interesting is a rare talent. The fact it’s a hockey podcast is a bonus. The fact that he’s a former NHL’er is a huge bonus. But he’s the show.
I like Biz. He adds a lot. But the show would quickly become tired with him leading the way.
RA is ok. He speaks way too much on the older podcasts, but I do like is role on the show. The super fan.

Well said. I feel like many listeners didn’t even know that Biz joined the show after it was fairly well established. Whit is a great conversationalist, and is always good for a witty one liner.

Reactions: JasonRoseEh

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019

I almost exclusively listen for the interviews, I can hardly seem to stand five minutes of them going on about anything themselves. I think the strength of the show, for me, is that they have a lot of interesting guests on, and the format of the show and the fact that it’s like a silly frat boys’ clubhouse make for looser interviewees, and thus often better stories that I wouldn’t have heard otherwise. Getting Scott Gomez to tell Claude Lemieux stories for like an hour straight was absolutely fantastic, I don’t know where else I’d find that.

I’d say that I find Whitney the least likable person among the hosts, but I must give him credit for being able to get the interviewees going. He’s not a half bad storyteller himself, but he has like ten good stories of his own and I feel like we’ve heard them by now. And I agree with everyone who hates whenever they get into golf, the worst part of the podcast is probably every time they have a great guest on who I have tons of stuff left that I’m dying to hear about, but they have to talk about golf for twenty minutes before ending the interview with a nutbagger invite.

I enjoy RA being there who actually might know a thing or two about older players or events that happened before Whitney went online, I feel like he’s often steered interviews into good places.

Reactions: shello

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

RA tries to hard to "fit in" I find. Using a lot of the slang or throwing in a random story to try and put himself on the same level as the two former players. Plus he sucks when theres an interview.

As for Burke.... I have no issues with him being on the show but he's turning into the new Kevin Hayes/Keith Yandle. :laugh:

Reactions: Chaels Arms

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad