Spengler Cup discussion ??

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Five minutes left in the second and Duchene makes it 3-0 Canada.
And Dubnyk immediately gives one up on a deflection.
3-1 Canada.

Gagner repeatedly denied by Schneider from right in the slot.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Duchene with his second goal and third point of the night. 5-1 Canada.
For some reason Fribourg-Gottéron changed goaltenders midway through the third so this goal wasn't on Schneider.

Game over.

Last edited:

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Another whiff of Horcoffian proportions by Sammy.

Sequin must be hurt, he looks pretty rough out there.

Doobie looking sharp again.

Descendent*

Really impressed with Dubnyk and am confident with him as the Oilers #1 Goalie for years to come.

He's outplayed Bernier and Schneider.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Really impressed with Dubnyk and am confident with him as the Oilers #1 Goalie for years to come.

He's outplayed Bernier and Schneider.

Agreed. I've always been more impressed with him than Bernier, but I don't think its unrealistic to suggest that he might be better than Schneider too

Descendent*

Haha Schneider is getting lit up like a Christmas tree. They might as well put up a Shooter Tutor instead.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Schneider doing his best Luongo impression, looked just brutal aside from a few big saves on snowpants.

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
MAP makes it 2-0.

This guy should have been playing over in Europe 3 years ago.

And to be honest....were better off with him getting minutes than Byron Ritchie tommorow.

MAP & Gagner might be a factor.

But Kane is a problem.

This is the hockey Pat Kane is best at. Lake hockey.

Kayen

SLAPPAPPYSHEV
Apr 28, 2009
The North
This guy should have been playing over in Europe 3 years ago.

And to be honest....were better off with him getting minutes than Byron Ritchie tommorow.

MAP & Gagner might be a factor.

But Kane is a problem.

This is the hockey Pat Kane is best at. Lake hockey.

Did you just essentially call every european league as pond hockey / shinny? I think these players deserve a little more respect than that.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
5-1 Canada midway through the second period.
Two goals from Ryan Smyth.
Like last night Dubnyk has barely had to make any saves.

judge301

Aug 19, 2008
What?? Are you watching the game? He has been amazing!!! 6? Breakaways in two games against davos (including Kane clear from center ice) Deflections he has reacted to 5 feet infront of his net... He hasn't seen as much rubber as the other goalie but this game should be alot closer with the quality chances Davos has had. Good god man, what else do you expect from him??? Geez, i mean hes now given up what two goals in three games...

judge301

Aug 19, 2008
Schneider doing his best Luongo impression, looked just brutal aside from a few big saves on snowpants.

He was easily outplayed by the far inferior, potential career back up guy at the other end... Just sayin':yo:

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
If the NHL starts up soon I'm pretty confident the Oilers will push for a playoff spot. Dubnyk looks very sharp, he's ready to go and could definitely be our #1 goalie for 40-50 games. Smyth's still got it, and he won't burn out playing 40-50 games. It would be great if Tambellini could get a player like Patrice Bergeron for us, then I think we could maybe win a round in the playoffs.

I'm not sure about every other team in our division, but our core players are looking good right now and they're ready to play. I really hope a deal gets done ASAP.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Canada wins the Spengler! Dubnyk with another great game, Smyth scored twice and Gagner got two assists. Pretty good showing from the Oilers boys.

y9qsb.jpg

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
What?? Are you watching the game? He has been amazing!!! 6? Breakaways in two games against davos (including Kane clear from center ice) Deflections he has reacted to 5 feet infront of his net... He hasn't seen as much rubber as the other goalie but this game should be alot closer with the quality chances Davos has had. Good god man, what else do you expect from him??? Geez, i mean hes now given up what two goals in three games...
He was awesome in his first game.
The last two games he hasn't had to do much.
Not a slam on Dubnyk, just my opinion. You don't have to like it but save the "good god man" reactions for sometime when they are actually warranted.

judge301

Aug 19, 2008
He was awesome in his first game.
The last two games he hasn't had to do much.
Not a slam on Dubnyk, just my opinion. You don't have to like it but save the "good god man" reactions for sometime when they are actually warranted.

youre likely right... I guess i get a little defensive of Dubnyk with all the bs people say about him and how under rated he is. I shoulda read closer. It's not the amount of rubber a goalie sees but the quality of chances. Davos did have some great chances and Dubnyk played outstanding. If a goalie sees sixty pucks from the blue line and the opposition goalie only has 15 saves but 5 were grade a scoring chances and he let one in. Can you say the losing goalie didn't do much and the other goalie was better? Or really even busier? I dont think so.

And you said "Dubnyk hasn't had to do much." that is stating a fact that is backed up with tangible evidence. As opposed to an opinion that would be qualified as such. As I said above you cant just look at how many shots a goalie had in one game and accurately conclude he didn't do much.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
youre likely right... I guess i get a little defensive of Dubnyk with all the bs people say about him and how under rated he is. I shoulda read closer. It's not the amount of rubber a goalie sees but the quality of chances. Davos did have some great chances and Dubnyk played outstanding. If a goalie sees sixty pucks from the blue line and the opposition goalie only has 15 saves but 5 were grade a scoring chances and he let one in. Can you say the losing goalie didn't do much and the other goalie was better? Or really even busier? I dont think so.

And you said "Dubnyk hasn't had to do much." that is stating a fact that is backed up with tangible evidence. As opposed to an opinion that would be qualified as such. As I said above you cant just look at how many shots a goalie had in one game and accurately conclude he didn't do much.

Welcome to HFOil where if it cannot be sorted into stats columns it doesn't exist and therefore your point has no validity.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Welcome to HFOil where if it cannot be sorted into stats columns it doesn't exist and therefore your point has no validity.
Cause things like shots on goal have no bearing on evaluating a goaltender's game. Devan has great intangibles.
Did you watch the games nabob or are you just cheerleading for your boy?

judge301

Aug 19, 2008
Cause things like shots on goal have no bearing on evaluating a goaltender's game. Devan has great intangibles.

Did anyone say anything about them having no bearing in all cases? Did anyone say anything about intangibles? It was about your so called opinion which was worded as provable fact that Dubnyk didnt do much. Im not going to take the time to walk through this all with you. If you want to hash something out then lets stick to the topic. Please form so kinda arguement that shows he didn't do much based on facts other than simplistic SOGs. In the WJHC today dougy hamilton fired a puck from the face off circle in his own end about 160 feet away. It was a stop the Russian net minder had to save and thus was counted as a shot on goal. by your simplistic logic if Canada ended the game with 25 sog and Russia with 24 sog we'd have to conclude the Russian goalie was busier or did more than the Canadian tender. It's simplistic flawed logic.:shakehead:help:

Last edited:

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

I watched the game where he was amazing against Davos and the good game he played yesterday against Fribourg. Didn't see the final game. But seeing as how he didn't face 60 shots ill just assume he wasn't very good.

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
Did you just essentially call every european league as pond hockey / shinny? I think these players deserve a little more respect than that.

Why would you throw "shinny" in there? And why would you assume I was demeaning the style of play?

Certainly wasn't what I was doing. Not at all. I totally respect the style. I just think in comaprison to the style played on N.A. ice; "Lake Hockey" is an accurate metaphor to use. As metaphors go, at least.

In fact...I tweeted the other day that aside from a couple of weak(er) goaltenders...the overall level of experience/skill in MOST Spengler Cups is higher than the AHL. Its excellent hockey. No doubt.

It is also "different" and its silly to resent the notion certain NHL players wouldn't be perfect adaptors to Spengler style hockey.

Kane is a great example and my point stands.

That is all.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Did anyone say anything about them having no bearing in all cases? Did anyone say anything about intangibles? It was about your so called opinion which was worded as provable fact that Dubnyk didnt do much. Im not going to take the time to walk through this all with you. If you want to hash something out then lets stick to the topic. Please form so kinda arguement that shows he didn't do much based on facts other than simplistic SOGs. In the WJHC today dougy hamilton fired a puck from the face off circle in his own end about 160 feet away. It was a stop the Russian net minder had to save and thus was counted as a shot on goal. by your simplistic logic if Canada ended the game with 25 sog and Russia with 24 sog we'd have to conclude the Russian goalie was busier or did more than the Canadian tender. It's simplistic flawed logic.:shakehead:help:
Really? Not all shots are equal? That's something that never occurred to me. Thank you sensei for improving my understanding of the game.

As you can see from my posts above I watched all the games. Aside from the first game he played Dubnyk was average at best. I'm thinking you may have had one too many wobbly pops and the line between the way Subban has played and the way Dubnyk has played became blurred for you.

Anyway, I'm glad you like Dubnyk. I still think he won't amount to much but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad