Spengler Cup discussion ??

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Just watched the game and i was rather pleased with Gagner. Linemate Tavares was easily the best player in the game, and his other linemate Spezza had loads of chances. Gagner did the little things to help that line (not to mention some chances of his own) and you can tell him and Tavares have chemistry that goes a ways back. Wasn't a perfect game but he certainly was helping Canada's chances to win much more than he was hurting.

Smyth was rusty and didn't seem to accomplish much, in saying that he didn't stand out for all the wrong reasons either and did some good work in front on the PP. He should be much better tommorow i would imagine.

Seguin started out great and then really cooled after taking a dumbass penalty after a brutal turnover. Other than the goal he wasn't nearly as noticable after the penalty but you can sure see why the Tyler or Taylor debate rages on.

Duchene was very physical and was by my eye carrying his line.

I felt Canada in general was the better team, although it wasn't until the 3rd that Canada really showed up. The OT goal was a tough break but i think Canada looked like a team that was starting to really come into their own.

Those were the things that stood out to me the most.

His defensive play is way overrated. Either he's lazy, doesn't care, or just not as good as everyone says he is.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Wow, I hope Dubs has finally found his game. He has been phenomenal this game

He found his game 3 years ago in his final 10 games. He was fine the past two seasons, might i even suggest terrific at times. The people pretending he was letting in a bad goal every second game where full of BS. When i saw numerous posters blast Dubnyk for letting in an Andy McDonald shot from 5-10 feet away in the slot as being a bad goal i realized alot of posters have very unrealistic expectations for goaltending.

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
He found his game 3 years ago in his final 10 games. He was fine the past two seasons, might i even suggest terrific at times. The people pretending he was letting in a bad goal every second game where full of BS. When i saw numerous posters blast Dubnyk for letting in an Andy McDonald shot from 5-10 feet away in the slot as being a bad goal i realized alot of posters have very unrealistic expectations for goaltending.

Dubs had a lot of nights where he looked shaky last year. He was fighting the puck especially in Dec-Feb. His positioning tonight looked so solid, and his confidence in it was huge. There were a few shots that missed the net by less than a foot that he didn't even try to save and just let it go to the boards. He even made one really heads up play where he had a puck fly over the net, and he dodged it on it's way back when it almost hit him in the head.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Smyth scored on a slapshot. :biglaugh:

Was it MacT who said you could still read Bettman's name on the puck when Smyth shot it?

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

this is so true. :handclap:

Even the best goalies in the league let in a softie every few games.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Did Horcoff Jr get an assist for his wiff? or did they take it away because the Davos player knocked the puck away from him?

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
Did Horcoff Jr get an assist for his wiff? or did they take it away because the Davos player knocked the puck away from him?

Yeah, he got the assist, he passed to Tavares, who passed to him, he missed the puck, it went to Spezza and back to Tavares. No Davos player took control of the puck in that sequence.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Yeah, he got the assist, he passed to Tavares, who passed to him, he missed the puck, it went to Spezza and back to Tavares. No Davos player took control of the puck in that sequence.

was just wondering because sometimes in international hockey they are pretty reluctant to give out the 2nd assist especially when a player from the other team has his stick contact the puck like it did on the Tavares goal.

ales83fan

Jul 13, 2007
Smyth with a slapper.

He should have a spot on the point on our PP. Imagine having RNH set him up... ;)

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010

You realize that Gagner was the one who won the battle behind the net to keep that pressure on the PP. That pass wasn't an easy one to corral. No need to hate on Gagner, look at how many chances Spezza missed last game.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007

No player is garbage enough to be called Horcoff junior. If you want to call someone Horcoff junior that player has to get more ice time than anyone else on the team, play pp and pk and also be a play killer extraoridnaire. Oh he also has to be soft as butter and an excuse maker.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
lol

Even this thread is about Gagner.

Guess whats going on people?

Anyway on topic this Spengler cup tournament is kind of strange this year what with all the NHL players around.

I thought Smyth looked dead in the first game, how did he look in this one?

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

I'm not a big Gagner fan but i think you're taking this anti-Gagner stuff a little too far. Horcoff Jr. is like the ultimate insult for a player who isn't really that bad.
He might not be what we all wanted him to be and he's likely not a fit here long term but he's still a capable top 6 NHL player. Lets gain some perspective here.

Anyway, it's good to see that Dubnyk played well. I was really impressed with him in the second half of last season and was hoping to see him play some competitive hockey sooner than later. He and Petry really need to sign somewhere if this thing isn't resolved in the next weeks, this is critical development time for them especially coming off of a season in which they took a step up in their development.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
lol

Even this thread is about Gagner.

Guess whats going on people?

Anyway on topic this Spengler cup tournament is kind of strange this year what with all the NHL players around.

I thought Smyth looked dead in the first game, how did he look in this one?

Excellent was one of Canada's best forwards for sure. He played very good on a line with Bergeron-Seguin.

Dubnyk was the star of the game, he was sensational in the 3rd especially.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Sorry for offending all the Sammy fans but that whiff was very Horcoffian.

If Sammy can become close to the player Horcoff was for a very short period of time I'd be happy.

Smyth looked great, hopefully he isn't burnt out by the end of the tournament.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Only about 90 minutes till puck drop for the Canada vs HC Fribourg-Gottéron semi-final.
Notables on the Swiss club include Cory Schneider, Maxime Talbot and Patric Hornqvist.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Seguin injured. May need surgery. Hip problem.
He's playing tonight so he can't be that injured.
In fact he's in the box right now for charging Schneider.
Two minutes left in the first 1-0 Canada on a Spezza PP goal.
Don't think Dubnyk has had to break a sweat yet.

TheBusDriver

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Aug 25, 2009
Edmonton
He's playing tonight so he can't be that injured.
In fact he's in the box right now for charging Schneider.
Two minutes left in the first 1-0 Canada on a Spezza PP goal.
Don't think Dubnyk has had to break a sweat yet.

"@TSNVicRauter: Swiss report...Tyler Seguin leaving Switerland after Spengler ..with hip problem..will see doctror..and may need surgery..nhl season or not"

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
"@TSNVicRauter: Swiss report...Tyler Seguin leaving Switerland after Spengler ..with hip problem..will see doctror..and may need surgery..nhl season or not"
Not doubting you at all ... he's been rumored to have some lower body issues for several seasons now.
However, if those problems were in any way career threatening there's no way he'd be playing in this tournament.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad