Spengler Cup discussion ??

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
This is all baseless speculation by you since Dubnyk has never faced any pressure situations.
It's funny that the same posters who are big Gagner fans also do anything to discredit Dubnyk.

I'm not saying that Dubnyk is a surefire #1 going forward but he hasn't done anything to show that he will fail either. If anything (similar to Gagner), the fact that he not only kept his head above water but actually played pretty well with some horrible defense in front of him is commendable and should serve as a major positive for him going forward.
What kind of garbage post is this? What the hell does this have anything to do with Gagner? :shakehead

I've watched Dubnyk for several years and have attended every TC the team ever put on here. Dubnyk for years got rattled in TC. Soon as a few pucks got by him in drills you could see him visibly sink and start to struggle making bonehead plays in scrimmages of all things.

It took years for Dubs to even get over that bubble. Without this being an absolute trainwreck he wouldn't even be getting chances at this level of play. This is a guy that could never distinguish himself in TC. Basically Dubs has had to do one thing in this org to get big starts and big money. Be better then JDD. Thats it. This is another overpay getting forcefed minutes on a club too bad to have any expectations.

Interestingly the same goalie the Oilers backed up the brinks truck for couldn't even get a job anywhere in Europe.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
The correlation is that Gagner is a player who hasn't lived up to expectations but is being undervalued by fans because he has made a positive contribution to the team despite underachieving somewhat and is a young player who has kept his head above water with little help.
Same with Dubnyk who has been better than you and others give him credit for.
You and others constantly preach to be patient with Gagner because he is still young with room to improve yet Dubnyk is somehow not good enough.

huh?

Gagner made the NHL as a barely 18 yr old and was prolific in first season and has averaged 44pts/yr as second line center. He's never been out of the NHL. Dubs took years just to establish to this point. Sure goalies take longer but this guy will be 27 this year, and has played 100 NHL games largely because we have a defunct Khabi as #1. On a good club with adequate goalies Dubnyk wouldn't have got in a dozen. Ask yourself how many starts Dubs would've had here backstopping even Roli. The team basically got rid of a competent #1 so that they could force feed Dubs some minutes because he's Lowes longterm project. Dubnyk has had the help of an org basically bereft of established goalies.

Last edited:

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
What kind of garbage post is this? What the hell does this have anything to do with Gagner? :shakehead

I've watched Dubnyk for several years and have attended every TC the team ever put on here. Dubnyk for years got rattled in TC. Soon as a few pucks got by him in drills you could see him visibly sink and start to struggle making bonehead plays in scrimmages of all things.

It took years for Dubs to even get over that bubble. Without this being an absolute trainwreck he wouldn't even be getting chances at this level of play. This is a guy that could never distinguish himself in TC. Basically Dubs has had to do one thing in this org to get big starts and big money. Be better then JDD. Thats it. This is another overpay getting forcefed minutes on a club too bad to have any expectations.

Interestingly the same goalie the Oilers backed up the brinks truck for couldn't even get a job anywhere in Europe.

Who the **** cares that he got rattled in TC years ago? As i said, you saying that he can't handle pressure situations is baseless speculation on your part because you don't like the player or you picked him out (like you've done with many players in the past) to have an agenda against. He has never faced real pressure yet so none of us know how he does under extreme pressure. Maybe he was just a young goalie who wasn't ready in TC a few years ago, i don't think it has anything to do with him getting rattled easily by nature.
If you don't think that he's the answer in goal, that's fine but don't make up fallacies like he can't handle the pressure to further your argument because he hasn't had a chance to prove himself in a pressure situation yet.

I'm not going to explain the Gagner-Dubnyk correlation because i explained it to Harpoon so you can go back and read why i brought it up if you want.

The fact is that Dubnyk has shown improvement over the last few seasons so that's a good sign going forward, that's all.
I know that you'll come back with "Dubnyk only played well in meaningless games" blah blah blah. The facts are that he is an improving goalie. The stats say so and anybody with eyes that can see can see that also.
Lets hope that he builds on the momentum because he's a big key going forward.

Last edited:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Who the **** cares that he got rattled in TC years ago? As i said, you saying that he can't handle pressure situations is baseless speculation on your part because you don't like the player or you picked him out (like you've done with many players in the past) to have an agenda against.
Oh wait, you mean guys like Omark, Brule, Teubert, Cogs? Couldn't mean I was right in every instance could it? You really wanna go there? Why do you think I mentioned Dubs disposition? His tendency to panic, struggle under pressure? You think its meaningless at his position?
He has never faced real pressure yet so none of us know how he does under extreme pressure. Maybe he was just a young goalie who wasn't ready.
If you don't think that he's the answer in goal, that's fine but don't make up fallacies like he can't handle the pressure to further your argument because he hasn't had a chance to prove himself in a pressure situation yet.
Fallacy? Don't make such unwarranted assumption. Whenever the games matter Dubnyk is ****. Whenever the games mean nothing it all he plays better. Want evidence? Look at his career splits for pre and post all star game. Fact of the matter is Dubnyk is a slow starter with a terrible record when games matter earlier in the season. When the season is done he starts playing with composure. With the results being startingly different. Ask yourself about that.

09-10 Pre Allstar 0-6-1 Post 4-4-1
10-11 Pre Allstar 5-4-6 Post 7-9-2
11-12 Pre Allstar 7-11-1 Post 13-9-2

Career Totals Pre 12-21-8 (or alternately 12W 29L) Post 24-22-5 (Or alternately 24W 27L)

Explain to me why Dubs is so consistently a better goalie when the games don't matter and why he can't buy a win when the games do matter? I'll be interested in your reply.

I'm not going to explain the Gagner-Dubnyk correlation because i explained it to Harpoon so you can go back and read why i brought it up if you want.
I did already it makes no sense whatsoever.

The fact is that Dubnyk has shown improvement over the last few seasons so that's a good sign going forward, that's all.
I know that you'll come back with "Dubnyk only played well in meaningless games" blah blah blah. The facts are that he is an improving goalie. The stats say so and anybody with eyes that can see can see that also.
Lets hope that he builds on the momentum because he's a big key going forward.
The anybody with eyes comment. :shakehead

I certainly hope we're not planning on pegging the turnaround on this backstopper. Big key lol. In Tambos eyes maybe. :(

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Why do you think I mentioned Dubs disposition? His tendency to panic, struggle under pressure? You think its meaningless at his position?
Fallacy? Don't make such unwarranted assumption. Whenever the games matter Dubnyk is ****. Whenever the games mean nothing it all he plays better. Want evidence? Look at his career splits for pre and post all star game. Fact of the matter is Dubnyk is a slow starter with a terrible record when games matter earlier in the season. When the season is done he starts playing with composure. With the results being startingly different. Ask yourself about that.

09-10 Pre Allstar 0-6-1 Post 4-4-1
10-11 Pre Allstar 5-4-6 Post 7-9-2
11-12 Pre Allstar 7-11-1 Post 13-9-2

Career Totals Pre 12-21-8 (or alternately 12W 29L) Post 24-22-5 (Or alternately 24W 27L)

Explain to me why Dubs is so consistently a better goalie when the games don't matter and why he can't buy a win when the games do matter? I'll be interested in your reply.

I did already it makes no sense whatsoever.

The anybody with eyes comment. :shakehead

I certainly hope we're not planning on pegging the turnaround on this backstopper. Big key lol. In Tambos eyes maybe. :(

I can't explain why he played better in the 2nd half of the last 2 seasons. I think some of it is due to him getting more opportunity and not have to look over his shoulder as much. He seems to play better when he's getting more game action.
There's no doubt that he plays tentative at times and he lets in too many soft goals but he really cut down on that last season. I don't think this means that he will never be able to handle the pressure. It might be that he's a young goalie just finding his way.

I just found your argument about his disposition being made for a meaningless overseas tournament kind of out there, it's not really based on anything and using an example of him losing his nerves in a TC drill once upon a time doesn't mean anything, how is that an example of folding under pressure?
I think that he has handled himself really well here considering the defense that plays in front of him. He has fought through some bad stretches with little help and has maintained some pretty solid numbers (that's why i brought up Gagner as an example). You seem to sold on him not being able to handle pressure and there's really no evidence to back it up. Comparing his 1st half to 2nd half performance doesn't really solidify that point.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I can't explain why he played better in the 2nd half of the last 2 seasons. I think some of it is due to him getting more opportunity and not have to look over his shoulder as much. He seems to play better when he's getting more game action.
He copes better with less pressure when the games don't mean anything. Its crystal clear. The statistical difference is huge. He's a completely different goalie when the games don't matter and his club is in next year territory.

There's no doubt that he plays tentative at times and he lets in too many soft goals but he really cut down on that last season. I don't think this means that he will never be able to handle the pressure. It might be that he's a young goalie just finding his way.
He's not really young at this point. Understand as well that on any club with competent netminding he'd barely even have scratched out an NHL career at this point. As I mentioned he's only in the NHL due to the Oilers having basically nothing established in the goalie shelf.

I just found your argument about his disposition being made for a meaningless overseas tournament kind of out there, it's not really based on anything and using an example of him losing his nerves in a TC drill once upon a time doesn't mean anything, how is that an example of folding under pressure?
My argument has nothing to do with this tournament. Its something I've assessed in Dubs for years.

I think that he has handled himself really well here considering the defense that plays in front of him. He has fought through some bad stretches with little help and has maintained some pretty solid numbers (that's why i brought up Gagner as an example). You seem to sold on him not being able to handle pressure and there's really no evidence to back it up. Comparing his 1st half to 2nd half performance doesn't really solidify that point.
Gagner never had any problem adapting to pressure and forced the club to keep him up in his first pro season when they had actually intended to send him down. Gagner made the team by being one of the better Oilers in his first pro camp. After having a very successful Junior year and offseason tounaments. Gagner played so much hockey that year and exceeded at every turn. Not sure how thats a player struggling in any way to adapt. Dubs didn't even look comfortable between NHL pipes until he was 25.
As for the bolded I'm not convinced you don't get my point. I do believe you don't want to consider its implication. It solidifies my point fine. Conversely I'm not seeing you backing up with anything.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Gagner never had any problem adapting to pressure and forced the club to keep him up in his first pro season when they had actually intended to send him down. Gagner made the team by being one of the better Oilers in his first pro camp. After having a very successful Junior year and offseason tounaments. Gagner played so much hockey that year and exceeded at every turn. Not sure how thats a player struggling in any way to adapt. Dubs didn't even look comfortable between NHL pipes until he was 25.
As for the bolded I'm not convinced you don't get my point. I do believe you don't want to consider its implication. It solidifies my point fine. Conversely I'm not seeing you backing up with anything.

The development of forwards and goalies is completely different.
Goalies tend to take a lot longer to develop than forwards do so 25 for a goalie really isn't that old at all. It takes a special goalie to excel in his early 20s.
The fact that an established veteran like Khabibulin folded like a cheap tent while Dubnyk has held his own says a lot about Dubnyk's ability to keep his head above water in a very tough situation. I think that he should get the benefit of the doubt because of that and should at least be given a chance to prove himself before making a final judgment on him now that he is finally being handed the keys.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
The development of forwards and goalies is completely different.
Goalies tend to take a lot longer to develop than forwards do so 25 for a goalie really isn't that old at all. It takes a special goalie to excel in his early 20s.
The fact that an established veteran like Khabibulin folded like a cheap tent while Dubnyk has held his own says a lot about Dubnyk's ability to keep his head above water in a very tough situation. I think that he should get the benefit of the doubt because of that and should at least be given a chance to prove himself before making a final judgment on him now that he is finally being handed the keys.

I already acknowledged the difference with goalies and that Dubnyk has had a free ticket here.

All he's had to do is best out JDD, and look more compelling and committed then trainwreck Khabi.

The club has practically gift wrapped a starting job for Dubnyk and gave him the grand prize lottery win as well and for nothing. Dubnyk must be living a charmed life.

This club has done nothing but hand Dubs the keys. Repeatedly.

judge301

Aug 19, 2008
I could take the time to prove every foolish statement all you doubters of Dubnyk have. Your opinion isn't worth the time it takes to correct it . The ignorance of facts and bias opinions are comical. I just cant wait for Dubnyk to prove himself again and again and again..........and finally just shut some people up.

judge301

Aug 19, 2008
I guess I don't see any connection between the two .... I mean is it funny that the same guys who are big MPS fans are big Dubnyk supporters as well? Seems like a pretty random correlation to me.

I also wonder where you get that idea that anyone in this thread has been doing their best to "discredit Dubnyk". What I see is a handful of posters going overboard and saying that he was "unreal" , "spectacular" and so on.

I think I've watched hockey for enough years to know what an "unreal" goaltending performance looks like, and that wasn't it imo. Are these comments so offensive to Dubnyk fans that we have to watch them go full ****** in this thread?

So the defense was horrible, but the shooters he faced were lethal? Not sure how that works.

The Spengler is a second rate tournament, always has been. That Dubnyk didn't embarrass himself in the tournament is nice, especially since he hasn't played any hockey this year that I know of, but I really don't see how three games (on international ice against over-matched opponents) can be seen a "major positive" for him going forward.

Just WOW... By your opinion I'd swear you had just started watching. Have you not heard from enough people that your opinion is by fas in the minority? God man, are you actually my ex wife? She's the only other person i've witnessed argue so hard for an opinion so wrong.

judge301

Aug 19, 2008
I already acknowledged the difference with goalies and that Dubnyk has had a free ticket here.

All he's had to do is best out JDD, and look more compelling and committed then trainwreck Khabi.

The club has practically gift wrapped a starting job for Dubnyk and gave him the grand prize lottery win as well and for nothing. Dubnyk must be living a charmed life.

This club has done nothing but hand Dubs the keys. Repeatedly.

Wow again, you realize he didn't have a minor league team to start his career with? Do you realize he won the back up job? do you realize he hasn't had the opportunity to start ahead of Khabbi and that it's not a story of first part of the season and the last half because of the opportunities provided and the chance he finally had not because of being handed the keys but because the other guy was injured! He has developed against all odds in spite of not having proper development. to say he has been given the keys to the kingdom is absolutely uninformed or ignorant of facts. I really don't care how many posts you have. To say a goalie that has played very well behind a last place team yet put up numbers amongst the top 30 starters in the league and not being given a NHL job until every adverse situation the team put him in for the majority of his pro career is actually something that angered me it is so foolish.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Wow again, you realize he didn't have a minor league team to start his career with? Do you realize he won the back up job? do you realize he hasn't had the opportunity to start ahead of Khabbi and that it's not a story of first part of the season and the last half because of the opportunities provided and the chance he finally had not because of being handed the keys but because the other guy was injured! He has developed against all odds in spite of not having proper development. to say he has been given the keys to the kingdom is absolutely uninformed or ignorant of facts. I really don't care how many posts you have. To say a goalie that has played very well behind a last place team yet put up numbers amongst the top 30 starters in the league and not being given a NHL job until every adverse situation the team put him in for the majority of his pro career is actually something that angered me it is so foolish.
looks like you "took the time" lol

So many "Wows" from you in so few posts. I get that I should probably resist responding and theres guaranteed to be little point but I can't help but respond to the laughable "he won the back up job". Which is indescribably rich. He beat out JDD who the org was no longer high on. What other stunning recruits that Tambo obtained did Dubnyk beat out?

Finally, with or without dedicated farm team Dubnyk was heavily used for the affiliates he played for whether it be Stockton or Springfield and also played Junior till end of 2006 season. Any other excuses?

Anyway you seem to have vested interest in this discussion. Wonder whats up with that.

judge301

Aug 19, 2008
looks like you "took the time" lol

So many "Wows" from you in so few posts. I get that I should probably resist responding and theres guaranteed to be little point but I can't help but respond to the laughable "he won the back up job". Which is indescribably rich. He beat out JDD who the org was no longer high on. What other stunning recruits that Tambo obtained did Dubnyk beat out?

Finally, with or without dedicated farm team Dubnyk was heavily used for the affiliates he played for whether it be Stockton or Springfield and also played Junior till end of 2006 season. Any other excuses?

Anyway you seem to have vested interest in this discussion. Wonder whats up with that.

Lol. yeah, I could have worded that better. The fact is, because of the financial commitment made to Khabi there was only a back up spot to win. JDD was handed the keys over DDubnyk the year before. JDD was the incumbent, and the favorite to win the job, at camp one would lose. One would win. One would leave and one would stay. Dubnyk won and stayed. Is there anything else you need explained to you? To factually state the org was no longer high on JDD is an opinion. Unless you have some kind of information your obvious ignorance unaccredited statements portrayed as facts are the only thing that can be described as "indescribably rich." You make up that word?

Nothing vested. Just sick of Dubnyk being bashed time and again no matter how well he plays.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Lol. yeah, I could have worded that better. The fact is, because of the financial commitment made to Khabi there was only a back up spot to win. JDD was handed the keys over DDubnyk the year before. JDD was the incumbent, and the favorite to win the job, at camp one would lose. One would win. One would leave and one would stay. Dubnyk won and stayed. Is there anything else you need explained to you? To factually state the org was no longer high on JDD is an opinion. Unless you have some kind of information your obvious ignorance unaccredited statements portrayed as facts are the only thing that can be described as "indescribably rich." You make up that word?

Nothing vested. Just sick of Dubnyk being bashed time and again no matter how well he plays.

I would say that given it was a crapshoot between JDD and Dubs and with the team being previously indecisive says a lot as well. We can disagree all we want on the wording. You and I both know that Dubs took along while to establish here and did so in the absence of what would typically be NHL competition for a goaltender spot. This org was weak at the position and didn't recruit. Even though neither is that solid a prospect.

My stake in this ftr is partly due to Dubnyks contract and how much we're paying for average, if that, goaltending on this club. Theres contending teams paying less between the pipes. This team essentially handed either JDD or Dubnyk a spot, ruled out any and all competition, and then hands Dubs a high priced contract on no specific basis. Its amazing to me really how little Dubs had had to do here to get this nature of contract. Its really one of the dynamic things wrong with this org. Have a pulse, look somewhat like an NHLer that wants to play here and you get the big Ben Eager/Cam Barker type reward. We'll seemingly do anything to overpay run of the mill players here. Its an ongoing issue I have with the club in general.

One other thing is GA had improved last year under Renney but what is that due to? Khabi and Dubs had identical averages and I don't think that highly of the level of commitment Khabi is bringing here. I can see that you would try to attribute our GA to improved netminding but is it really the case. You may have some correlation but no causal relationship.

Dubs held his own in the second half last season. For some reason he wasn't very good in the first half.

Last edited:

judge301

Aug 19, 2008
I would say that given it was a crapshoot between JDD and Dubs and with the team being previously indecisive says a lot as well. We can disagree all we want on the wording. You and I both know that Dubs took along while to establish here and did so in the absence of what would typically be NHL competition for a goaltender spot. This org was weak at the position and didn't recruit. Even though neither is that solid a prospect.
My stake in this ftr is partly due to Dubnyks contract and how much we're paying for average, if that, goaltending on this club. Theres contending teams paying less between the pipes. This team essentially handed either JDD or Dubnyk a spot, ruled out any and all competition, and then hands Dubs a high priced contract on no specific basis. Its amazing to me really how little Dubs had had to do here to get this nature of contract. Its really one of the dynamic things wrong with this org. Have a pulse, look somewhat like an NHLer that wants to play here and you get the big Ben Eager/Cam Barker type reward. We'll seemingly do anything to overpay run of the mill players here. Its an ongoing issue I have with the club in general.One other thing is GA had improved last year under Renney but what is that due to? Khabi and Dubs had identical averages and I don't think that highly of the level of commitment Khabi is bringing here. I can see that you would try to attribute our GA to improved netminding but is it really the case. You may have some correlation but no causal relationship. Dubs held his own in the second half last season. For some reason he wasn't very good in the first half.

it was a crapshoot between JDD and Dubs
And before it was handed to him? The previous year Dubnyk was demoted in favor of JDD. Coming into camp it was JDD's job to lose. He lost it. Yes Dubnyk won the backup role.

took along while to establish here and did so in the absence of what would typically be NHL competition for a goaltender spot.
Says you, the point is he did establish himself.

paying for average, if that, goaltending on this club.
Khabbi will be gone soon. Dubnyk isnt the problem.

either JDD or Dubnyk a spot
Derp, so one of the two won?? So, If an organization has four potential goalies in camp with one being entitled to the starting job because management over payment the one that winds up as the back up didn't win the job?

Dubs a high priced contract
So, I guess its unheard of for teams to award contracts based on potential? See Taylor Hall. I have no issue with either signing. The team doesn't either. Nor should they. It's your problem and opinion that you do.

Have a pulse, look somewhat like an NHLer that wants to play here and you get the big Ben Eager/Cam Barker type reward. We'll seemingly do anything to overpay run of the mill players here.
Yeah, because all free agents are dying to sign wit a last place team... I don't even need to discredit this statement. I mean no other team in the league has ever made bad and worse signings? ( see, Gomez, Scott I could name dozens but don't need to too make the point)

how little Dubs had had to do here
Check the win column. Get back to me if you notice a difference. He has done everything asked of him very well, again that is nothing more than your opinion. Judging by the number of posts you have made you obviously don't have any issue typing. A little constructive and unbiased information developing an informed opinion may be time better spent.

I can see that you would try to attribute our GA to improved netminding
Err, not likely. I'd take the time to investigate things such as injuries, competition, other intangibles as well. it's not as simple as stats. What matters is wins and losses. One goalie clearly changed the fortunes of a hockey team.

Dubs held his own in the second half last season. For some reason he wasn't very good in the first half.
One word, opportunity.

Last edited by a moderator:

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
My stake in this ftr is partly due to Dubnyks contract and how much we're paying for average, if that, goaltending on this club.
Don't be too hard on the guy.
Dubnyk has been almost exactly an average goaltender over the last two seasons. Unfortunately average never wins you anything in the NHL.

Its amazing to me really how little Dubs had had to do here to get this nature of contract. We'll seemingly do anything to overpay run of the mill players here.
Yeah absolutely. There was no reason to sign Dubnyk to the kind of deal they did. Being a first rounder and 6'6" gets you a lot of leeway I guess.

Hoogaar23

Apr 13, 2011
Dubnyk has been almost exactly an average goaltender over the last two seasons. Unfortunately average never wins you anything in the NHL.

Chris Osgood and Cristobal Huet say "Hi"

Hoogaar23

Apr 13, 2011
Honestly, average starter is what I am expecting from Dubnyk. Anything is possible, but I have no expectations of many Vezinas coming our way with Dubnyk tending the net. But I feel that he has shown enough the last 2 years to lead me to believe he can be an average/good NHL starter the last 2 years.

I think it's amazing that he is basically .500 the last 2 years on a last place and 29th place team. His save % (.916 and .914) the last 2 years is middle of the pack with arguably one of the worst d groups in the league. To me, the only big problem with Dubnyk has been that I feel he gives up a lot of weak goals - problem is, there is no stat for that, so I don't know if he's any better or worse than other goalies, but it SEEMS like he would let in a softie every other game.

The thing is - with all the money we are going to be spending on our top 6, I don't believe we can afford an elite goalie at $6M+. An average/good guy at $3M-$4M I think is the perfect fit.

Same thing with Gagner - the guy IMO has been great as a 2C. A 45-55pt 2C who gives it 100% all the time at $3.5-$4.5M is a great fit with the 4 guys (Hall, Eberle, Yakupov, RNH) likely to be making around $6M each. We can't afford another $6M top 6 guy. And it's not like Gagner has not improved. His faceoffs have gotten better, his defensive play has gotten better, he's put up more than 40 points all 5 of his NHL seasons, +5 last year - and the kid is still only 23 years old! Sure I would prefer a 6'4" 225lbs 50 goal scorer as our 2C, but we will have too much money invest on the wings for that - as such, Gagner is a perfect fit on this team as a 2C IMO.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Good post Hoogaar23. Economics is certainly a factor.
I would argue that they could have signed Dubnyk for less than they gave him, but at least they kept the term short.

Hoogaar23

Apr 13, 2011
Good post Hoogaar23. Economics is certainly a factor.
I would argue that they could have signed Dubnyk for less than they gave him, but at least they kept the term short.

Yeah - I was kinda surprised with the Petry and Dubnyk deals. I honestly think people would have been less surprised to see Petry get $3.5M and Dubnyk get $1.75M. But when you think about it, I don't think you can really pay much less than $3.5M for an NHL starter - but I get the argument from those that don't like the deal that he hasn't really proven he could be a starter yet - some guys look great for 20-30 games but crap the bed once handed the reins as the starter. I'm just really hoping that is not the case with Dubnyk.

And like you said - a 2 year term is great. I don't expect him to do anything to earn $6M+ over the next 2 years or even much of a raise. I just hope that he "earns" the $3.5. I think a .915-.920 save% and better than .500 (playing about 60 games) would qualify. And I believe he can do it.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Honestly, average starter is what I am expecting from Dubnyk. Anything is possible, but I have no expectations of many Vezinas coming our way with Dubnyk tending the net. But I feel that he has shown enough the last 2 years to lead me to believe he can be an average/good NHL starter the last 2 years.

I think it's amazing that he is basically .500 the last 2 years on a last place and 29th place team. His save % (.916 and .914) the last 2 years is middle of the pack with arguably one of the worst d groups in the league. To me, the only big problem with Dubnyk has been that I feel he gives up a lot of weak goals - problem is, there is no stat for that, so I don't know if he's any better or worse than other goalies, but it SEEMS like he would let in a softie every other game.

I would think it amazing too if he actually was. Thing is you're only counting wins and regular time losses. To get an accurate gauge you should count OTL as well. (Logically speaking at least because the NHL DOES include OTW in the win stats. Seems silly to not count both ways.)

Given that Dubs record over last two years is 32W 33L 11OTL

If you don't count OTL nearly every team or goalie in the league is near .500.

Last edited:

Ogopogo*

Yeah absolutely. There was no reason to sign Dubnyk to the kind of deal they did. Being a first rounder and 6'6" gets you a lot of leeway I guess.

Absolutely incorrect. Dubnyk is well below average as an NHL starter over the past couple of seasons. He is in the bottom third of NHL #1 goaltenders - probably in the #25 range.

We can only hope he will become average.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Absolutely incorrect. Dubnyk is well below average as an NHL starter over the past couple of seasons. He is in the bottom third of NHL #1 goaltenders - probably in the #25 range.

We can only hope he will become average.

Around 25 goalies have more games played with better GAA stats last season. Well, people will say in response that Dubnyk is playing on a worse squad. Except the Oilers, as a team, were 23 in GA and not that far off middle of the road. Afairc a dozen goals scored against all year separated them from mode. So Dubnyk isn't exactly looking stellar out there in comparison. Really he had identical stats to Khabi.

judge301

Aug 19, 2008
Around 25 goalies have more games played with better GAA stats last season. Well, people will say in response that Dubnyk is playing on a worse squad. Except the Oilers, as a team, were 23 in GA and not that far off middle of the road. Afairc a dozen goals scored against all year separated them from mode. So Dubnyk isn't exactly looking stellar out there in comparison. Really he had identical stats to Khabi.

Man, when you get to the bottom of the hole quit shoveling... 25 isn't much farther from the middle of the pack than 23. You portray 23 as the middle and 25 as the bottom.

Ok, i'll play... How many teams in the league had a better defense than the Oil? Compare Dubnyk's numbers when he played lots and was confident in his role to his numbers when he played once or twice every couple weeks.

I'm so not wasting any more time on this... Just foolish.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad