Spengler Cup discussion ??

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Dont see a thread for it ..

MAnnehim currently leading CAN 1-0

CAN rolling with all C top line of Spezza-Tavares-Gagner with a couple more Cs on the second line in Seguin+ Bergeron

Smyth and Barker the other Oil

Grod

The New Era Lives On
Feb 10, 2010
Edmonton
Just tuned into the game. Looks like a fairly intriguing squad thanks to the lockout. Not sure who this barker is Petro? At least the Oiler product you are talking about.

ales83fan

Jul 13, 2007
You'd think Spezza could dominate here, he is definitely a star at the NHL level, at least in my opinion.

Funny that Canada loses on two goals scored by North Americans, both of whom were born in Canada I believe.

Not a big deal though, since the Spengler Cup is for Clubs more so than anything else. Just found that point amusing.

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
Nah. It's a pretty big deal and a little hilarious because the arrogant, locked out NHL big shots got schooled by players who make their living playing hockey overseas. It looks great on the NHLers after they took roster spots away from players in Europe.

Last edited:

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
So a roster with NHLers beat another roster with NHLers. Hooray!

ales83fan

Jul 13, 2007
Nah. It's a pretty big deal and a little hilarious because the arrogant, locked out NHL big shots got schooled by players who make their living playing hockey overseas. It looks great on the NHLers after they took roster spots away from players in Europe.

Well they didn't take them by force at gun point.

The spots were given to them.

I mean like any place of employment, they showed their skills, and were hired. That's what happens when "big firms" do layoffs.

It just feels like you have an anti-player bias in your comment.

Also, it's not fully true. While there were more NHLers on the Canada team, let's keep in mind that Jason Pominville scored the OT winner. It's not as black and white as you portray it.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Just watched the game and i was rather pleased with Gagner. Linemate Tavares was easily the best player in the game, and his other linemate Spezza had loads of chances. Gagner did the little things to help that line (not to mention some chances of his own) and you can tell him and Tavares have chemistry that goes a ways back. Wasn't a perfect game but he certainly was helping Canada's chances to win much more than he was hurting.

Smyth was rusty and didn't seem to accomplish much, in saying that he didn't stand out for all the wrong reasons either and did some good work in front on the PP. He should be much better tommorow i would imagine.

Seguin started out great and then really cooled after taking a dumbass penalty after a brutal turnover. Other than the goal he wasn't nearly as noticable after the penalty but you can sure see why the Tyler or Taylor debate rages on.

Duchene was very physical and was by my eye carrying his line.

I felt Canada in general was the better team, although it wasn't until the 3rd that Canada really showed up. The OT goal was a tough break but i think Canada looked like a team that was starting to really come into their own.

Those were the things that stood out to me the most.

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
Well they didn't take them by force at gun point.

The spots were given to them.

I mean like any place of employment, they showed their skills, and were hired. That's what happens when "big firms" do layoffs.

It just feels like you have an anti-player bias in your comment.

Also, it's not fully true. While there were more NHLers on the Canada team, let's keep in mind that Jason Pominville scored the OT winner. It's not as black and white as you portray it.
They were "hired" immediately based on their names and marquee potential.

Brewster

Mar 20, 2012
Canada
In case you hadn't noticed it, the non-HFOil discussion can be found here.

Thought the team Canada effort was decent today. Any word on whether Dubnyk will be getting in over Bernier for the next game?

ales83fan

Jul 13, 2007
They were "hired" immediately based on their names and marquee potential.

Reputation means something. Go to any big firm and see how much a marquee lawyer costs. How much better is a big name than a normal one? The difference does not warrant the pay scale discrepancies, in many cases.

While I agree it is somewhat unfair, reputation is a factor. Clearly in some cases, it was enough of a factor to mean the "loss" of a job as you put it.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Gagner with a Horcoffian whiff but Tavares bails him out by slapping one in...

and now Smyth with a Gretzkian slapper..

CAN up 2-0

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Smyth scores on his patented :sarcasm: slapper moments after Tavares had given Canada the 1-0 lead.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->