Rumor: Spencer Foo To Make FA Signing Decision in June (upd 6/27: Agrees to sign with CGY)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Deer Rebel

Apr 7, 2008
Red Deer
Gentlemen, Calgary finished the season last year with the following 4 players on RW:

1. Ferland
2. Tkachuk
3. Versteeg
4. Chiasson

Versteeg and Chiasson are not signed for 2017-18, and it doesn't sound like Versteeg is going back there.

Calgary also has a brutal depth chart. They are easily the worst team in the league at RW.

If Foo's agent is looking for an easy path to the NHL, Calgary will definitely be at the top, but please refrain from trying to characterize this as some sort of "win" for Calgary.

When a kid like Spencer Foo can walk into camp and become the #2 on an NHL team's depth chart at RW, it proves that NHL team is grossly incompetent at the management level. Nothing more.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Gentlemen, Calgary finished the season last year with the following 4 players on RW:

1. Ferland
2. Tkachuk
3. Versteeg
4. Chiasson

Versteeg and Chiasson are not signed for 2017-18, and it doesn't sound like Versteeg is going back there.

Calgary also has a brutal depth chart. They are easily the worst team in the league at RW.

If Foo's agent is looking for an easy path to the NHL, Calgary will definitely be at the top, but please refrain from trying to characterize this as some sort of "win" for Calgary.

When a kid like Spencer Foo can walk into camp and become the #2 on an NHL team's depth chart at RW, it proves that NHL team is grossly incompetent at the management level. Nothing more.

Have you looked at the Oilers RW depth lately since Eberle was traded?

Pitlick
Kassian
Slepyshev
Cagguila
Pakarinen

Yikes.

North

Jun 25, 2009

Pitlick
Kassian
Slepyshev
Cagguila
Pakarinen

Yikes.

Are you forgetting Draisaitl and Strome on purpose?

Calgary's right wing depth doesn't even include a Drai or Strome.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton

And no money to sign improvements on RW. Brouwer is their #1 RW and the Flames left him exposed at the expansion draft.

The Flames have $15 M to sign 3 RWs another D and a backup goalie.

They are going to be weak on the right side. I can't see the Flames improving from last season.

Red Deer Rebel

Apr 7, 2008
Red Deer

Pitlick
Kassian
Slepyshev
Cagguila
Pakarinen

Yikes.

What's "yikes" about it.

All of those players could very easily make the Flames, and bump Foo down to the AHL. Not even close.

BTW, Draisaitl also plays RW. A small omission on your part. :laugh:

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
What's "yikes" about it.

All of those players could very easily make the Flames, and bump Foo down to the AHL. Not even close.

BTW, Draisaitl also plays RW. A small omission on your part. :laugh:

There is nothing yikes about it.

Just constant negativity and griping. JP is more than ready to move up.

The Oilers can use one of Drai/Nuge/Strome on RW. Let's say it's Nuge.

Oilers RW depth:

Nuge
Pulju
Slepy
Caggs
Kassian

That's a ton better than what the Flames have now.

John Connor McDavid

Apr 17, 2017
And no money to sign improvements on RW. Brouwer is their #1 RW and the Flames left him exposed at the expansion draft.

The Flames have $15 M to sign 3 RWs another D and a backup goalie.

They are going to be weak on the right side. I can't see the Flames improving from last season.

They're going to get a 0.05 save percentage boost with Mike Smith in net and a new DMan in Hamonic that is a serious upgrade on Wideman.

Otherwise they're in similar shoes as us with Tkachuk, Monahan, Gaudreau, and Bennett all a year older and better, and Backlund in his prime.

They're going to challenge if not usurp us all year.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
There is nothing yikes about it.

Just constant negativity and griping. JP is more than ready to move up.

The Oilers can use one of Drai/Nuge/Strome on RW. Let's say it's Nuge.

Oilers RW depth:

Nuge
Pulju
Slepy
Caggs
Kassian

That's a ton better than what the Flames have now.

What exactly are you basing this on? Even at the AHL level he wasn't really lighting it up.

Moving centers to wing because we don't have wingers isn't something we should be doing unless we want to cripple the other lines.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
What exactly are you basing this on? Even at the AHL level he wasn't really lighting it up.

Moving centers to wing because we don't have wingers isn't something we should be doing unless we want to cripple the other lines.

There's nothing crippling about putting Nuge or Strome on the wing. That still has McDavid, Drai and Letestu as our 1,2,4 centres (cause I'm very confident we will be getting a 3c before opening night), and that's if you have both on the RW depth.

Nuge
Strome
Kassian
Pulju/Slepy

That's not terrible RW depth. And in all honesty how I expect it to play out unless we magically make room for another RW.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
They're going to get a 0.05 save percentage boost with Mike Smith in net and a new DMan in Hamonic that is a serious upgrade on Wideman.

Otherwise they're in similar shoes as us with Tkachuk, Monahan, Gaudreau, and Bennett all a year older and better, and Backlund in his prime.

They're going to challenge if not usurp us all year.

Good for them I guess? As an Oilers fan, we make the playoffs and idgaf where Calgary is ranked.

Once it's playoffs, its a whole new season

Red Deer Rebel

Apr 7, 2008
Red Deer
If our management team wants to kick Calgary in the junk, they could sign Iggy to a one year deal to play on McDavid's wing.

I thought Iggy looked quite serviceable during his stint with LA, and he wants to play one more year.

A good backup plan if we miss out on Foo.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton

JP played well in the AHL. 28 points in 39 points was fine. After a partial season in the NHL then stepping down in 2015-16 Drai was ready to make a big splash this past season.

I get that you interpret Pulju's results as negatively as possible. As you have everything else in the past month or so.

I'm basing this on a positive analysis after the Oilers best regular season in 30 years.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
JP played well in the AHL. 28 points in 39 points was fine. After a partial season in the NHL then stepping down in 2015-16 Drai was ready to make a big splash this past season.

I get that you interpret Pulju's results as negatively as possible. As you have everything else in the past month or so.

I'm basing this on a positive analysis after the Oilers best regular season in 30 years.

The guy we just shipped out of town was more than a PPG in the AHL, even if you don't include the 2013 stint. And I'm pretty sure those Barons teams were not very good.

For a guy labeled as a sure thing, he should be torching that league.

He should start in the AHL unless we're rushing prospects to fill holes again.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
The guy we just shipped out of town was more than a PPG in the AHL, even if you don't include the 2013 stint. And I'm pretty sure those Barons teams were not very good.

For a guy labeled as a sure thing, he should be torching that league.

He should start in the AHL unless we're rushing prospects to fill holes again.

When was the last time the Oilers rushed a prospect to fill a hole? 2015? That's a thing of the past. OBC negativity that is almost gone from this team.

Eberle played 11 games in the AHL. If you want to provide evidence to justify the negativity try a little harder.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
When was the last time the Oilers rushed a prospect to fill a hole? 2015? That's a thing of the past. OBC negativity that is almost gone from this team.

Eberle played 11 games in the AHL. If you want to provide evidence to justify the negativity try a little harder.

Eberle played 20 games, scoring 23 points. Not bad for an 18/19 year old.

JP was rushed this year and by game 9 should've been in Bakersfield. It was clear he wasn't ready but damn they tried to keep him up for half a season, including a few healthy scratches.

That's a bad development strategy right there.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
If Foo goes to Calgary let's sign Iggy for a year to pee them off. I'd take that.

Yamamoto is at least two or three years away from being ready. Foo shouldn't be deterred from coming here.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
If Foo goes to Calgary let's sign Iggy for a year to pee them off. I'd take that.

Yamamoto is at least two or three years away from being ready. Foo shouldn't be deterred from coming here.

I'd like to see Iginla signed regardless. Angering the Flames would just be a side benefit. He'll come cheap, should be willing to take a contract for a year. Great for him to finally get a cup. Even better if it's as an Oiler.

Red Deer Rebel

Apr 7, 2008
Red Deer

Justin Williams and Jaromir Jagr are other quality veterans that might take a one year deal to play here.

Then there's Radulov. He wants big term and dollars, which we can't offer him, but if he gets nothing else, he might take big $ on a one year contract here to boost his numbers.

There are many options out there when you can dangle McDavid in front of these veterans - and all of these options would contribute more than Foo, who doesn't have much of a chance of even making this team.

People need to calm down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad