Rumor: Spencer Foo To Make FA Signing Decision in June (upd 6/27: Agrees to sign with CGY)

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDaddy

ruh roh
Jan 22, 2017
Edmonton
Does anyone realistically think that he would sign here? We all know his buddy Vecchione is with Philly now, and buddy Ghost is also a former teammate, wonder if that would sway his decision. I also grew up with younger brother Parker a long time ago now (not that it matters).

He put up mad numbers this year beside MV, I'm thinking he could do potentially do the same beside McD. He's also quite the player himself, would he crack a lineup spot and skip the AHL like Drake and Benning?

EDIT:
There's probably been a post somewhere on HF already, but with June coming closer and everyone talking new ideas, I'd like to see everyones opinions on what he would be used for here specifically.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
He played bantam and minor midget with MacT's kid. There's probably some familiarity there.

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Frankly, it doesn't matter if he's any good. With a name like that, you have to be going hard after him.

We could be on our way to building a cool name dynasty with Nurse, Bear, Nagelvoort, Gambardella, and Foo.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
I feel we heard similar things with Cagguila, that he would potentially want to follow one of his linemates and either join Boeser in Vancouver or Schmaltz in Chicago. IIRC, sounded like Vancouver was one of the last few teams in the mix.

In the end, they seem to chose the place they feel most comfortable and where they think will be a good fit over just joining their buddies.

These kids know if they make the team they will make plenty of friends and they see which teams are trending upwards.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Would be like another free 2nd round pick, sign me up. If I was a FA id still look at Edmontons depth forwards and see a big chance to play asap. I mean Cagguila got significant minutes from get go. Competition is an aging Letestu (old coach lol), Pak, Slepyshev and Pitlick. Plus its your home town team who just went to round 2

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Frankly, it doesn't matter if he's any good. With a name like that, you have to be going hard after him.

We could be on our way to building a cool name dynasty with Nurse, Bear, Nagelvoort, Gambardella, and Foo.

Draft his brother this year and Jett Woo next year.

We could have a couple Foo's and a Woo.

Principe would have a field day, Kevin Quinn would probably have a brain aneurysm.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
I know nothing about him... I see that he's a bit on the smaller side... does he play a soft game or a more feisty game like Drake?

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I feel we heard similar things with Cagguila, that he would potentially want to follow one of his linemates and either join Boeser in Vancouver or Schmaltz in Chicago. IIRC, sounded like Vancouver was one of the last few teams in the mix.

In the end, they seem to chose the place they feel most comfortable and where they think will be a good fit over just joining their buddies.

These kids know if they make the team they will make plenty of friends and they see which teams are trending upwards.

My baseless opinion is that these high end hockey players couldn't really give a Rats ass where their old teammates from previous teams play to make a decision like this. It's a little more involved than simply following yer best bud to the same school or something. If a player did want to go to a team where his buddy is, I'd seriously question his attitude to be honest. Even at a fairly young age.

mullet

Aug 2, 2005
I feel if the oilers were in it the deal would be signed. He's waiting for a better offer or opportunity. Makes sense to wait until after the expansion draft then go from there.

KidAnger

Sep 12, 2015
Edmonton
I feel if the oilers were in it the deal would be signed. He's waiting for a better offer or opportunity. Makes sense to wait until after the expansion draft then go from there.

Nope. Union College has a trimester system, and he said he wanted to finish his schooling (which is June) and that's why he's holding off.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
I know nothing about him... I see that he's a bit on the smaller side... does he play a soft game or a more feisty game like Drake?

Drake is a pretty good comparison I think. Foo is similar in that he's a fast and dynamic skater who works his tail off every shift, hes versatile in all three zones and can fit anywhere in a line up. While Drake may be a little more of a pitbull in his pursuit of the puck, Spencer is no slouch along the boards himself, and he has more offensive ability and creativity than Caguila.

subnet

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Nov 6, 2005
PacNW
Drake is a pretty good comparison I think. Foo is similar in that he's a fast and dynamic skater who works his tail off every shift, hes versatile in all three zones and can fit anywhere in a line up. While Drake may be a little more of a pitbull in his pursuit of the puck, Spencer is no slouch along the boards himself, and he has more offensive ability and creativity than Caguila.

Nice - even if he's not a big guy, I really like to hear this! I was really surprised at how well Drake did in his first year of pro, when he wasn't even really supposed to make the team.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Kid should be salivating looking at the RW depth on the Oilers. There is a legitimate opportunity for him to play with McDavid as soon as next year.

McDaddy

ruh roh
Jan 22, 2017
Edmonton
Kid should be salivating looking at the RW depth on the Oilers. There is a legitimate opportunity for him to play with McDavid as soon as next year.

It's realistic. And if he can perform at this level, he knows he will be set with a nice 2nd contract here as well given our prospect depth at RW is little to nothing.

KenLinsemanFanClub

Sorry State
Nov 26, 2003
Isle of Van

Yeah, setting up really well for him and the Oilers. Almost like it was meant to be which probably means he'll sign with Calgary.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
When I watched this the first time, I got literal goosebumps. Just imagine him and McDavid on a line together if he could translate his game to the NHL level.

am i the only one who isn't very impressed with this player? the guy basically didn't do anything for his entire collegiate career, but then in his senior year he has a HUGE jump in scoring (more than doubled his totals) .... he didn't have much offense until he was 23 years old... he didn't even lead his team in scoring this year

we're likely talking about a player who is about the same level of an offensive threat as drake caggiula... not much really to be honest

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
am i the only one who isn't very impressed with this player? the guy basically didn't do anything for his entire collegiate career, but then in his senior year he has a HUGE jump in scoring (more than doubled his totals) .... he didn't have much offense until he was 23 years old... he didn't even lead his team in scoring this year

we're likely talking about a player who is about the same level of an offensive threat as drake caggiula... not much really to be honest

You just described Kevin Hayes, who put up 49 points in 79 games last year for the Rangers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->