Rumor: Spencer Foo To Make FA Signing Decision in June (upd 6/27: Agrees to sign with CGY)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
am i the only one who isn't very impressed with this player? the guy basically didn't do anything for his entire collegiate career, but then in his senior year he has a HUGE jump in scoring (more than doubled his totals) .... he didn't have much offense until he was 23 years old... he didn't even lead his team in scoring this year

we're likely talking about a player who is about the same level of an offensive threat as drake caggiula... not much really to be honest

Give me another cagguila all day long

Look at what sheery, guetzal and rust and co are doing in Pit

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
am i the only one who isn't very impressed with this player? the guy basically didn't do anything for his entire collegiate career, but then in his senior year he has a HUGE jump in scoring (more than doubled his totals) .... he didn't have much offense until he was 23 years old... he didn't even lead his team in scoring this year

we're likely talking about a player who is about the same level of an offensive threat as drake caggiula... not much really to be honest

You didn't find McDavid impressive either so your opinion is...:laugh:

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Give me another cagguila all day long

Look at what sheery, guetzal and rust and co are doing in Pit

I agree I'd take another Drizzy anytime. These guys are basically already developed late 1sts/early 2nds.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
You didn't find McDavid impressive either so your opinion is...:laugh:

well that isn't true at all, i thought he had areas on his game where he needed a lot of work, and was concerned that his style wouldn't translate very well to the NHL .... i always thought he was exceptionally impressive... but on the whole, yes, i was wrong about mcdavids top-end ability in the NHL

i was right about lots of other players though, so i'll keep taking my at bats on judging prospects.... win some, lose some

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
I feel we heard similar things with Cagguila, that he would potentially want to follow one of his linemates and either join Boeser in Vancouver or Schmaltz in Chicago. IIRC, sounded like Vancouver was one of the last few teams in the mix.

In the end, they seem to chose the place they feel most comfortable and where they think will be a good fit over just joining their buddies.

These kids know if they make the team they will make plenty of friends and they see which teams are trending upwards.

Pretty sure Drake's last 2 teams on his list were Vancouver and Edmonton. Heard he was won over when they toured him around the arena...having a chance to play with 97 is also a pretty heavy loaded gun in the Oilers back pocket.

I'm gonna say the Foo will come home to play...considering he has a real chance to play with 97 on his RW eventually (like Drake - as long as he earns it). His only real competition out of camp would be Pulju, Slepy and Paks..perhaps Pitlick depending on what happens to him.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
It seems as though Drake may have been promised a spot......maybe that's just how it shook out but both the college FA signings played through rough stretches instead of being sent down for seasoning.

Draisaitl
Eberle
Slepyshev
Kassian
Pitlick
Pakarinen

That's our current RW depth if we resign Pitlick. You'd have to think Foo needs two of theses guys gone in order to sign with Edmonton.

I suppose you can solve it easy enough by moving Drai to center and letting Pitlick walk.....thus making it

Eberle
Slepyshev
Kassian
Foo
Pakarinen

But I think you still want an established scoring wing in there to replace Eberle or for insurance if you move Drai to center.

So I think signing Foo would force a trade.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
Free prospect from the area. Sign me up.

Not only free, but he sounds like he would actually compliment McDavid. Speedy and a right hand shooter. If we were lucky to grab him, I would expect he would actually get time a hard look on McDavid's wing.

http://broadstreetbuzz.com/2017/03/17/philadelphia-flyers-college-free-agent-target-spencer-foo/

"He’s greasy,†Starman said. “He just does a lot of little things that are fun to watch. He’s got electric speed, hands, guts. He’s not afraid to try something difficult. He’s been good. He’s just fun to watch and he plays with an edge."

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada

I'm not too worried because I'm convinced he'd start in the AHL.

Drake, Slepy and Juju are fighting for and earning their minutes in the NHL right now. If we resign Pitlick he's automatically got a middle 6 roster spot.

If we aren't promising him an NHL roster spot there's absolutely no risk involved for the Oilers.

If we signs with us it's good either way. It's a low risk potentially high reward situation.

ChokeOnOil

Lambs to Lions
Feb 11, 2007
Edmonton
I have some friends that are really close with him and I met him at BVJ (lol) like 4 years ago. Really, really nice guy if that means anything. Tree trunk legs too.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
When I watched this the first time, I got literal goosebumps. Just imagine him and McDavid on a line together if he could translate his game to the NHL level.

Seems like another pass first player and not really a sniper.

He ala Caggiula will need to become a lot more selfish if he ever becomes a linemate of McDavid.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I have some friends that are really close with him and I met him at BVJ (lol) like 4 years ago. Really, really nice guy if that means anything. Tree trunk legs too.

I attended the same elementary with him in grade 6. Never saw him cause any trouble either.

FanOfSadTeam

Dec 12, 2010
I feel like the guy might be conflicted between playing for his hometown and playing in an exciting, fun (and warm) city like LA. The pressure to succeed may not be as high and seeing as LA is trending downwards, he might get more ice time.

But if he just cares about winning Cup/s within the next 10 years, he should come here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad