Rumor: Spencer Foo To Make FA Signing Decision in June (upd 6/27: Agrees to sign with CGY)

Status
Not open for further replies.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Not really, their NHLe was like 5 points apart. Not to mention, Cagguila played on a STACKED line. Actually Foo scored 62 points and 26 goals in his 3rd year. In his 3rd year, Cagguila scored 38 points total

I am not expecting him to make the NHL, but I wouldnt be surprised. Id say saying hes only an AHL player is a tad presumptuous considering we had 2 NCAA free agents make our team last year

I didn't say he was only an AHL player.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Mostly fan talk. Coaches and GM will have a different way of thinking. If Foo can play in bottom 6 in takes one less responsibility off the GM as he doesnt need to go out and get another depth player. For the coach, they want to get their hands on a young player asap to get NHL development kicked off as soon as they can. Sticking a player in the AHL is not a bad thing, but NHL experience trumps AHL development by a long shot. If a coach can get a hold of a young player earlier, he can install his systems and style of play in that young player a year earlier, benefit being that player is ready for more responsibility a year earlier

We are seeing this all over the NHL, plenty of NCAA players are being put into the NHL very fast out of NCAA. Guenztal is a great example, he was pulledout off NCAA in year 3, played brefly in AHL to end the year, played half year this year and now NHL

I think fans tend to think development is a 2/3 year long process. But on good teams, development is fast and immediate. When you can shelter a player and also give them good linemates, you can put them into the NHL very fast

The Guenztal's of the world are playing their way up. They're proving they can play. The Penguins did not count on him to be an NHL player this year, it just went right.

If you're a GM and building a roster and creating a realistic 21-23 man group and you're penciling in a player like Spencer Foo into that group, you are **** at your job. Full stop.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Not to mention that Foo would be trying to make the team as a winger, which is an easier feat than as a center or dman.

One thing to be aware of when comparing Cagguila's and Foo's college numbers is that while they're only a month apart in age, Drake was 2 years younger than Foo when he first started his college hockey career...so while Foo got those big numbers a year sooner than Cags did (3rd year vs. 4th), he also had 2 years of physical maturity on him in that 3rd year of college at the time.

This is one of the most salient points in this thread. Surprised that it is largely being ignored because in terms of comparing the 2 players...age matters.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Anything else added to this?

One other thing mentioned was that while he played mainly RW this season, he played a lot of center last year so he says he's comfortable with both.

Bob also asked him about if he felt it was a concern about playing at home with the added pressure of that, Foo replied that yes it was something he thought about but there were also good things about playing near home as well, so there's pros and cons to both.

There might've been other smaller details I missed, I'd have to go back to give another listen to it. Basically he sounded like an articulate, level headed young man that is keeping his cards close to his chest right now. After listening I didn't find anything to make me think the Oilers have a better or worse chance of landing him.

To sum up his interview:

tricko-meme-poker-face-panske.jpg

Wretched Oil

Right out of 'er
Feb 19, 2008
He comes across as smart, but not manipulative. He seems honest and forthright, a good communicator that was slated to be captain next year before making his decision to go pro....

Said he had over 20 teams contact him and was quick to respond with 'under 5' when asked what his short list was like now.

He's really taking his time and going over all the pros and cons for each of the remaining teams, which is why he didn't make his decision sooner.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
Well the way I see it is this... if he's the kind of person that desperately wants an NHL paycheque, then perhaps the Oilers don't give him the best opportunity so he could sign elsewhere. If he is the kind of person that is a winner that wants more than anything to win a Cup and play with other great NHL stars in a program that could be great for the next 10 years, then the Oilers are the best up and coming choice. Like the Pens or Blackhawks, think of signing on those teams 8 or 9 years ago?? Sustained success on the back of two star forwards. If he's a winner, he'll sign with the Oilers.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Well the way I see it is this... if he's the kind of person that desperately wants an NHL paycheque, then perhaps the Oilers don't give him the best opportunity so he could sign elsewhere. If he is the kind of person that is a winner that wants more than anything to win a Cup and play with other great NHL stars in a program that could be great for the next 10 years, then the Oilers are the best up and coming choice. Like the Pens or Blackhawks, think of signing on those teams 8 or 9 years ago?? Sustained success on the back of two star forwards. If he's a winner, he'll sign with the Oilers.

So if he doesn't sign here then he's not a winner. Is that what you're saying?

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
Is his brother Parker worth drafting in the later rounds this draft?

You mean to entice Spencer Foo to come over? Parker isn't worth a pick at this point, at a bit over a PPG in junior A. Junior A leaves the option for college open for him and hopefully for him he'll have a great college career ahead, just like Spencer. I think that's just too much of an unknown right now though, to justify a pick.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
There hasn't been an AJHL player picked in the NHL draft in two years.

Looking back before that's and it's all defense, but some very good picks (Benning, Parayko, Brandon Hickey). No forwards seem to get picked though, not since Corbin Knight (72pts in 61 games) and Derek Rodwell (29pts in 41 games) in the 3rd round in 2009! Nine defenseman and two goalies since then.

So odds aren't stacked in Parker's favour to get drafted this year. However he did have a great season, was only outscored by his teammate Cale Makar and guys aged 19-21, plus some team might just avoid having to bid for him in three years like his older bro.

McDaddy

ruh roh
Jan 22, 2017
Edmonton
Yeeaaaah highly doubt we get Foo now.

But he'll get plenty of boo's when he makes the trip up from Calgary every game. :laugh:

McBaevid

Lottery Dynasty
Oct 3, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Yeeaaaah highly doubt we get Foo now.

But he'll get plenty of boo's when he makes the trip up from Calgary every game. :laugh:

Why would anyone boo him? It's not like this guys a top end prospect. He'll probably be a 3rd liner at best. Fans get way too caught up on these college FAs and expect all of them to be amazing

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Why would anyone boo him? It's not like this guys a top end prospect. He'll probably be a 3rd liner at best. Fans get way too caught up on these college FAs and expect all of them to be amazing

How many college free agents since 2000 have become impactful players? Off the top of my head I can only think of Wheeler and Pittsburgh Schultz.

McBaevid

Lottery Dynasty
Oct 3, 2010
Edmonton, AB
How many college free agents since 2000 have become impactful players? Off the top of my head I can only think of Wheeler and Pittsburgh Schultz.

Yea that's the only two I can think of that were actually worth getting excited about, Wheeler was a top 5 pick and Schultz was considered a can't miss future top pair D prospect when we got him.

North

Jun 25, 2009
I thought it was down to Detroit, Vegas and us?

I think the concern is because we drafted Yamamoto, Foo won't come here now.

This is not necessarily true because Yamamoto is most likely a year or two away so there is still an opportunity here for Foo.

McGlassbangers

Jul 13, 2009
McFinland
I think the concern is because we drafted Yamamoto, Foo won't come here now.

This is not necessarily true because Yamamoto is most likely a year or two away so there is still an opportunity here for Foo.

Yeah, Yamamoto is at least 2 years away. If anything, trading Eberle makes Foo a lot more likely to sign with us IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad