Rumor: Spencer Foo To Make FA Signing Decision in June (upd 6/27: Agrees to sign with CGY)

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDaddy

ruh roh
Jan 22, 2017
Edmonton
Justin Williams and Jaromir Jagr are other quality veterans that might take a one year deal to play here.

Then there's Radulov. He wants big term and dollars, which we can't offer him, but if he gets nothing else, he might take big $ on a one year contract here to boost his numbers.

There are many options out there when you can dangle McDavid in front of these veterans - and all of these options would contribute more than Foo, who doesn't have much of a chance of even making this team.

People need to calm down.

I don't know if the McDavid factor really is all that enticing to FA's, because I don't see Williams or Jagr coming here IMO. If Foo doesn't sign to play with the two of the best centres in the game, but goes to a crumbling Detroit or mediocre Calgary, then the McD factor isn't really a thing.

Realistically, Foo has just as much of a chance as Pulju would coming out of training camp. You have to remember that Foo is a bit older, and a bit more developed than he was especially considering the fact that he's actually been playing NA hockey his whole life. We saw that was the big issue for JP.

Oh yeah, and we're not even on the list anymore.

Last edited:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I don't know if the McDavid factor really is all that enticing to FA's, because I don't see Williams or Jagr coming here IMO. If Foo doesn't sign to play with the two of the best centres in the game, but goes to a crumbling Detroit or mediocre Calgary, then the McD factor isn't really a thing.

Realistically, Foo has just as much of a chance as Pulju would coming out of training camp. You have to remember that Foo is a bit older, and a bit more developed than he was especially considering the fact that he's actually been playing NA hockey his whole life. We saw that was the big issue for JP.

Oh yeah, and we're not even on the list anymore.

We've been left off of tweets before. I haven't seen anything saying the Oilers are out.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Wouldn't be surprised if the online treatment of Eberle helps dissuade him from signing here. Better to develop in a better system, away from the fishbowl.

JarvisFunk

Apr 1, 2012
Saskatoon
Wouldn't be surprised if the online treatment of Eberle helps dissuade him from signing here. Better to develop in a better system, away from the fishbowl.

Well if hes one dimensional, afraid of contact and conflict and disuaded by the challenge of a big market, I wouldnt want him anyways.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Regarding the bad Eberle and Puljujarvi AHL comparison.

Eberle was "tearing up" the AHL in his draft was in a nine and eleven game sample size.

Also in his draft +1 and +2 year.

Eberle also had the benefit of playing on North American ice in juniors. JP did not.

So of course there should be a a bit of a learning curve here. Let's stop posting stats with no context though.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton

Eberle was "tearing up" the AHL in his draft was in a nine and eleven game sample size.

Eberle also had the benefit of playing on North American ice in juniors. JP did not.

So of course there should be a a bit of a learning curve here. Let's stop posting stats with no context though.

Thanks for that. The real context for the stats being posted was merely to continue the never ending attacks on the Oilers.

Pulju might be well ready to play in the NHL this season. Any reasonable post on the Oilers RW depth at least has to address the possibility of Pulju being on the Oilers next season.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton

Eberle had an underwhelming Draft +1 as well. We kind of ignore that because that World Juniors were a thing and he is legitimately one of the most historied U20 players to ever play internationally. In Draft+2 he broke out in the WHL in a big way.

I'm slightly concerned for Pulju, but there are factors here I think we need to acknowledge. This is a dude who didn't speak the language, who was allowed to flounder here for months in the name of providing him with some continuity. By the time went sent him to YET ANOTHER foreign Country to play hockey more at his level, he had new coaches, new players and new circumstances to get used to. I'm very interested in seeing his first 30 games this year in the AHL. I think it will tell the tale of what kind of prospect he really is.

The idea of playing him in the NHL is absurd. There is no possible scenario where he should start with the Edmonton Oilers. I don't really care what his preseason looks like. Even Draisaitl was forced down into the AHL for a time in October 2015.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
I hope we're as likely as Det and Cgy even though those two were specifically referenced in the tweet. It'd be nice to have some RW depth for a change. Wouldn't you want to play for the team that has the highest chance at a cup?

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

Not sure who this is, but if true, moar good news for our off season :shakehead

He's a nobody who makes rumours up.

Not saying the Flames wont sign Foo, as the fit makes sense. But if he does, this guy doesn't have some inside track he's just got a 33% chance at guessing right.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013

Not sure who this is, but if true, moar good news for our off season :shakehead

Meh. If it happens, oh well. But this guy tweets a lot of garbage. iirc he said a bunch of stuff last summer that never happened. His last four "rumours" were all wrong.

Joshua Marshall‏ @JMarshyBosco93 Jun 22
.@NHLFlames are closing in on @NYIslanders D Travis Hamonic from what I'm told. Sounds like a 1st round pick & Sam Bennett are the pieces...

Kris Russell is set to re-signs with the @EdmontonOilers in the next 24-48 hours. 4 years/$18M with a full NMC is what I'm told. #Oilers

Joshua Marshall‏ @JMarshyBosco93 Jun 16
The asking price for @NYIslanders D Travis Hamonic is a top 6 F, 1st round pick & a prospect. #Islanders

I can confirm that jordan Eberle will be traded by 3 pm on Saturday #oilers

Even stats he tweets out are incorrect. lol

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Sorry, but if he lands in Calgary over us, he's reached ultimate tool status in my eyes.

Why? They have just as little RW depth as we do. And I wouldn't be surprised if they finish higher than us in the standings. There is no reason going there would be a bad choice.

McDaddy

ruh roh
Jan 22, 2017
Edmonton
Why? They have just as little RW depth as we do. And I wouldn't be surprised if they finish higher than us in the standings. There is no reason going there would be a bad choice.

It would just be silly. Why not come play with McDavid and co? Why would you want to go to an organization crumbling from the top threatening relocation? Why coax the entire fan base into thinking we were the favourite for his signing?

Forget about RW depth, both teams are somewhat weak at that point. But Calgary? Really? Just a real bonehead move. Guy seems to care about getting a quick paycheck and a 4th line roster spot rather than developing into a stud on a solid team that has championship potential within the next 3-5 years.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Only way he is signing with Flames is if they offered him max ELC, like I said Chia should leak out he is interested in Doan and Iginla just so flames over pay for them.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Meh. If it happens, oh well. But this guy tweets a lot of garbage. iirc he said a bunch of stuff last summer that never happened. His last four "rumours" were all wrong.

.@NHLFlames are closing in on @NYIslanders D Travis Hamonic from what I'm told. Sounds like a 1st round pick & Sam Bennett are the pieces...

Kris Russell is set to re-signs with the @EdmontonOilers in the next 24-48 hours. 4 years/$18M with a full NMC is what I'm told. #Oilers

The asking price for @NYIslanders D Travis Hamonic is a top 6 F, 1st round pick & a prospect. #Islanders

I can confirm that jordan Eberle will be traded by 3 pm on Saturday #oilers

Even stats he tweets out are incorrect. lol
He also says Oilers are close to a one year deal on Wideman

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
He also says Oilers are close to a one year deal on Wideman
And talking to Iginla. Teams can't contact players until 10pm MT tonight.

Something tells me the Oilers aren't going to risk a tampering charge on bad defenseman and a 40-year-old.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I hope we're as likely as Det and Cgy even though those two were specifically referenced in the tweet. It'd be nice to have some RW depth for a change. Wouldn't you want to play for the team that has the highest chance at a cup?

Ok, Pittsburgh it is then.

jebs

Mar 4, 2011
Only way he is signing with Flames is if they offered him max ELC, like I said Chia should leak out he is interested in Doan and Iginla just so flames over pay for them.

Every team is offering him max ELC.

I don't think Foo is anything special at all, the only reason he is sought after is because he's free. In saying that it's nice to have hometown talent.

Tho as an Oilers fan, he's seen what the Oilers have done in the last week, he's probably been a bit turned off.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Tho as an Oilers fan, he's seen what the Oilers have done in the last week, he's probably been a bit turned off.

Why? Because we drafted a midget who is at least two or three years away? If that deters him then maybe we don't want him.

SecretOilersFan

Jul 2, 2015
Calgary
Every team is offering him max ELC.

I don't think Foo is anything special at all, the only reason he is sought after is because he's free. In saying that it's nice to have hometown talent.

:laugh: No more likely its because of family reasons, contract, playing time or just the city in general. Doesn't matter if Calgary had a better offseason and got better value in trades we still have the guys known as Connor McDavid and Drai the #1 and #8 point producers in the league and a top 10 offense any winger would not shy away from that.

So in reality its probably not a sports related factor many players tend to make decisions not just on potential for success but also for family and personal reasons just like anyone who is looking for a job. Also they have left us off before I doubt were out just yet.

Honestly he might get more time in Calgary and if he is attached to AB Calgary offers him the best chance to prove himself without having to go out of province.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad