Rumor: Spencer Foo To Make FA Signing Decision in June (upd 6/27: Agrees to sign with CGY)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
AHL depth. Cant see him making the Oilers.

The Oilers have arguably the weakest RW depth in the league especially with Eberle likely on the outs and Puljujarvi perhaps not being ready yet. He'll have every opportunity to earn a spot here.
If they keep Drai on RW and keep Eberle then perhaps that changes.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Foo is going to be on the Dave Jamieson show on TSN 1260 today (just announced on the N & F morning show).

Jamieson's show starts at noon, but I'm not sure what time Foo will appear.

Announcement coming he's signed with the Oilers?

Last edited:

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
I dunno. Thought cagguila would be too but these guys Suprise. Jump from NCAA to nhl is not as big as some think

Cagiulla had 18 points in the NHL, and was a much better college player then Foo.

Expecting Foo to jump into the NHL and make the team is a tad Presumptuous.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Cagiulla had 18 points in the NHL, and was a much better college player then Foo.

Stats dont really back that. They are pretty comparable for when Caggiula jumped into NHL. Foo can do the same especially factoring in team need.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
It doesn't matter what these kids did in college or who was better than who was. All it takes is for them to find chemistry with one of Drai or McDavid and their game could really take off.

J4M13M

Jun 4, 2014
Saint John NB
It doesn't matter what these kids did in college or who was better than who was. All it takes is for them to find chemistry with one of Drai or McDavid and their game could really take off.

To further illustrate your point, Jake Guentzel was just good, not great, in NCAA.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Foo is going to be on the Dave Jamieson show on TSN 1260 today (just announced on the N & F morning show).

I doubt it, if it was that kind of announcement it would've been done on CHED. Odds are it's just him giving an update on his summer and the usual "Edmonton's on my super-short shortlist" head pat.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Not really, their NHLe was like 5 points apart. Not to mention, Cagguila played on a STACKED line. Actually Foo scored 62 points and 26 goals in his 3rd year. In his 3rd year, Cagguila scored 38 points total

I am not expecting him to make the NHL, but I wouldnt be surprised. Id say saying hes only an AHL player is a tad presumptuous considering we had 2 NCAA free agents make our team last year

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Not really, their NHLe was like 5 points apart. Not to mention, Cagguila played on a STACKED line. Actually Foo scored 62 points and 26 goals in his 3rd year. In his 3rd year, Cagguila scored 38 points total

I am not expecting him to make the NHL, but I wouldnt be surprised. Id say saying hes only an AHL player is a tad presumptuous considering we had 2 NCAA free agents make our team last year

Not to mention that Foo would be trying to make the team as a winger, which is an easier feat than as a center or dman.

One thing to be aware of when comparing Cagguila's and Foo's college numbers is that while they're only a month apart in age, Drake was 2 years younger than Foo when he first started his college hockey career...so while Foo got those big numbers a year sooner than Cags did (3rd year vs. 4th), he also had 2 years of physical maturity on him in that 3rd year of college at the time.

Last edited:

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Not to mention that Foo would be trying to make the team as a winger, which is an easier feat than as a center or dman.

Agreed, and a simpler path to make it due to less depth there. I wouldnt say hes a 100% lock to make it, but I would give him better odds to make the team, then to play any significant time in the AHL

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
You hope that nobody is penciling in a kid like Foo in the NHL.

If he shows up to camp and lights it up like Cagguila did, that's one thing, but you should EXPECT to put this guy in the AHL for the year.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond

If he shows up to camp and lights it up like Cagguila did, that's one thing, but you should EXPECT to put this guy in the AHL for the year.

Certainly, I don't disagree. I guess the way I look at it is I'd rather not pencil him into either the AHL or NHL. All I ask is that he be given an honest chance to make the team during camp.

And if all of this talk is for nothing and he signs in Calgary or somewhere equally wretched, he is dead to me. #Shuntheunbeliever

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Mostly fan talk. Coaches and GM will have a different way of thinking. If Foo can play in bottom 6 in takes one less responsibility off the GM as he doesnt need to go out and get another depth player. For the coach, they want to get their hands on a young player asap to get NHL development kicked off as soon as they can. Sticking a player in the AHL is not a bad thing, but NHL experience trumps AHL development by a long shot. If a coach can get a hold of a young player earlier, he can install his systems and style of play in that young player a year earlier, benefit being that player is ready for more responsibility a year earlier

We are seeing this all over the NHL, plenty of NCAA players are being put into the NHL very fast out of NCAA. Guenztal is a great example, he was pulledout off NCAA in year 3, played brefly in AHL to end the year, played half year this year and now NHL

I think fans tend to think development is a 2/3 year long process. But on good teams, development is fast and immediate. When you can shelter a player and also give them good linemates, you can put them into the NHL very fast

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Is he waiting until after the expansion draft to make a decision? Seems to be taking a long time.

Thought this would actually be a good decision. No rush.

Wait until the expansion draft dust settles, then see where you'd have the best opportunity.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Certainly, I don't disagree. I guess the way I look at it is I'd rather not pencil him into either the AHL or NHL. All I ask is that he be given an honest chance to make the team during camp.

And if all of this talk is for nothing and he signs in Calgary or somewhere equally wretched, he is dead to me. #Shuntheunbeliever

Lmao, this is a very real possibility. Calgary is very close and they have even weaker RW depth than us

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009

Lowtide is going to be so pissed.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
From his April interview:

"On providing some clarity regarding the timing of how things will play out:
“Our school semester runs through the start of June. Then, I’ll be home within the first couple weeks of June and then I’ll probably start to figure things out before making a decision near the end of June.”
On what type of factors will be important when selecting an NHL team:
“Instead of wanting to jump in right away — obviously I do want to make an opening lineup and play right away as much as I can – but, I’m more of a long-term kind of thinker. I don’t want to go in and just have a cup of coffee in the NHL. I want to try and make a career out of it I’m going to do whatever I can to achieve that. I’m looking at opportunity right now, but I think the biggest thing for me is what’s going to be the biggest fit over the long-term for me. How am I going to develop on certain teams? What type of guys am I going to be playing with? Those are the biggest things for me; I want to treat it as a long-term thing. If I end up signing with a team and they don’t think I’m ready at the start of next year, then I’ll go pay my dues, as long as I’m trying to work towards a career and not just getting to a first game. So, I want to do what’s best for me long-term.”
On the pros and cons of being an Edmonton native when considering playing there:
“There are obviously positives in the sense that all my friends and family are in Edmonton. On the other side of things, there is a bit of distraction with all the pressure. At the end of the day, that is not really the most important thing. I’m going there to do a job and play hockey where that may a bit of a factor it’s not the deciding factor for me.”"

http://mayorsmanor.com/2017/04/college-fa-spencer-foo-on-the-process-of-selecting-his-nhl-team/

rosemount289

Feb 12, 2008
Each player is ...............???

Each player is different......for example look at Justin Schultz......could not make the Oilers' but trade him to the Penguins and he finds a home and a position that suits his talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad