Proposal: Speculation: Rumours: Done Deals: Trade Deadline 2019 ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
No, at least I know Babcock won't overuse Gauthier
With our top 3 centers the less the 4th line center plays the better

That's great. On home ice. And when we're perfectly healthy. If one of the top 3 goes down on a cup run lets play the other 2 30 minutes a night in the other teams barn.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I probably wouldn't be clamouring for this trade otherwise, but if Brown would end up being a 4th liner on this team anyway, Glendenning is at least locked in for a bit at a slightly cheaper cap hit.

We need to clear cap

Brown needs to be traded without money coming back the other way or expiring this off-season, we cannot afford 2M 4th liners next season, Brown or Glendenning

Reactions: Buds17

ChazzMichaelMichaels

Jul 10, 2014
I probably wouldn't be clamouring for this trade otherwise, but if Brown would end up being a 4th liner on this team anyway, Glendenning is at least locked in for a bit at a slightly cheaper cap hit.

If you're looking for the cap savings which were absolutely gonna need to be, I don't think were gonna be able to have either next season.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
It makes us a better team, with a 4thline that has to be less sheltered, and a 4C that is more capable of playing a larger role in injury circumstances. Running a 900k Glendening at 4C and 675k Goat as 13F is a great spot to be in next year

He would replace Lindholm decently well. The problem is that why is Detroit retaining 50% for him? I don't think it makes much sense overall and I wouldn't give up likely what they would want for them to retain 900k for 2 more seasons.

I'm not completely against him, but he doesn't move the needle enough, it will cost us an asset (or two) to get him at 900k when generally, you can find similar players for about the same price on the Free Agent market.

It just doesn't make any sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cobra777 and Buds17

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
That's great. On home ice. And when we're perfectly healthy. If one of the top 3 goes down on a cup run lets play the other 2 30 minutes a night in the other teams barn.

Yeah because Glendenning is going to be able to do that in an effective manner, if one of those guys goes down were buggered anyway unless Nylander can do a job at center

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Ok...I apologize for a nastier than intended reply. However,when someone states they can do Dubas job,it makes me wince. Could you or anyone else signed those players for less money? No guy!No one could have. Simply because it takes 2 to tango!Do you not believe Dubas and his management team have the 'big picture' in focus? I do.
That said,I too have been critical of the team (mostly of Babs ) but not Dubas. Getting Tavares here was an incredible feat in Leaf history(not sure how long you been watchin)....The money the 'kids' are getting is simply the price of hockey these days,it's going up! Is it too much? Yeah,sure it's too much for the average fan to digest,but it is gonna look reasonable in a few years I bet.Anyway,on to the playoffs!

You were not too nasty but I also did not say I could do Dubas' job. I can do the easy tasks and maybe a little more :)

Reactions: hector morrison

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
We need to clear cap

Brown needs to be traded without money coming back the other way or expiring this off-season, we cannot afford 2M 4th liners next season, Brown or Glendenning

For sure. The fourth line is definitely a place to go more economical on the cap. Not sure where the Glendening-Leaf connection comes from (again) really.

Reactions: Cobra777 and Kiwi

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Yes and perhaps we can move Brown to make room for Moore. The line seems to be stagnant with Brown whereas it looked dangerous at times with Moore, AJ and Leivo.

Think that could be part of the reason Johnsson has found himself there at times since his return from injury. Could move Brown before the deadline, but that might be one less option in case injury strikes a forward again. Depends on the return perhaps?

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
Philly
Simmonds
Gudas

Toronto
Brown
Gardiner(Philly trades for first and prospect) or resigns

Carolina
Pesce

Toronto
Zaitsev
Johnsson
2020 2nd round pick

Reactions: Cobra777

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I realize saving assets for A RD or two is key right now but what about going after Panarin or Skinner for futures and really try to cripple teams with our offense?

Something like:
2020 1st
2019 2nd
+Prospect or two
Lindholm (contract slot)

Panarin/Skinner-Matthews-Nylander
Johnsson-Tavares-Marner (Should be but Babs loves his Hyman)
Hyman-Kadri-Kapanen
Marleau-Gauthier-Brown
Ennis

-To me the biggest difference between us and Tampa is that they habe LW's that can finish and make plays, other than Johnsson, ours are just kind of there.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
For sure. The fourth line is definitely a place to go more economical on the cap. Not sure where the Glendening-Leaf connection comes from (again) really.

It makes no sense to me either
Other than Babcock loving him I can't see why we'd do this

We need ELC's and league minimum deals on the 4th line next season

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

It's probably even a bit strange that the Wings would be entertaining moving him in the second (and even more the first) season of the four year deal. We'll see what - if anything - happens by the deadline. I imagine the percentage of discussions that actually turn into trades is fairly small.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Ok...I apologize for a nastier than intended reply. However,when someone states they can do Dubas job,it makes me wince. Could you or anyone else signed those players for less money? No guy!No one could have. Simply because it takes 2 to tango!Do you not believe Dubas and his management team have the 'big picture' in focus? I do.
That said,I too have been critical of the team (mostly of Babs ) but not Dubas. Getting Tavares here was an incredible feat in Leaf history(not sure how long you been watchin)....The money the 'kids' are getting is simply the price of hockey these days,it's going up! Is it too much? Yeah,sure it's too much for the average fan to digest,but it is gonna look reasonable in a few years I bet.Anyway,on to the playoffs!

Dubas was doing fine till he caved to Melander
That 1 million too much for Melander probably cost us 1 year on Matts contract and that makes it near impossible to ink Mitch to a 5 year deal.

TBVH i don't know who scares me more when it comes to inking deals Dubas or Nonis and that is saying something.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Yes and perhaps we can move Brown to make room for Moore. The line seems to be stagnant with Brown whereas it looked dangerous at times with Moore, AJ and Leivo.

Stop, just stop, Babs is not getting rid of his #2 pk toi player right before the POs.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Dubas was doing fine till he caved to Melander
That 1 million too much for Melander probably cost us 1 year on Matts contract and that makes it near impossible to ink Mitch to a 5 year deal.

TBVH i don't know who scares me more when it comes to inking deals Dubas or Nonis and that is saying something.
I don't see the connection of over paying Willy(which really remains to be seen) and limiting Austons term!
There are so many aspects that fans like to look at. Allright ,go ahead,knock yourself out,( it can be interesting and/or fun to speculate on such things) but at the end of the day every team has a finite number to work with. So,when Kyle sits the 4 musketeers down and says ..."hey, you all wanna win together?" and proceeds to state the facts of hockey cap life,I'm reasonably sure they get the big picture. This is how i see it! There is no ulterior motive,it is what it is...

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

It’s either a rumor from a non Dubas source or the Leafs have a planned means of getting rid of him once acquired (buyout, ect) and are able to dump Zaitsev on the wings. Otherwise there’s zero reason for this rumor to exist.

Reactions: Kiwi and stickty111

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
First of all, Junior(Dubas) won't be fired as much as the insulting nickname people want to believe. I know Marner wasnt signed to an unlimited million dollar contract, but it is for the good.
Junior(Dubas) didn't pay "top dollar" for Muzzin. Grundstorm is a 3rd line player at best, and Durzi we don't know anything yet. Great trade by Dubas.
Shanahan not saying much is not a big deal. He is usually pretty quiet. Junior(Dubas) is safe.
The main leader in the "Junior" movement will be happy once favorite golden boy Marner is signed. The contract doesn't matter. We just need golden boy back. Team is secondary, as long as Marner signs. Until he is unsigned, the leader thinks "Junior" will remain terrible.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
It's probably even a bit strange that the Wings would be entertaining moving him in the second (and even more the first) season of the four year deal. We'll see what - if anything - happens by the deadline. I imagine the percentage of discussions that actually turn into trades is fairly small.

If I was the wings and someone offered me something for Glendening I'd trade him to

Why not turn a 4th line center making 1.8M into assets if your teams bad?

I just don't see what's in it for us, he's making to much for to long for a 4th line player, our cap outlook is tough enough as is without him as well

It’s either a rumor from a non Dubas source or the Leafs have a planned means of getting rid of him once acquired (buyout, ect) and are able to dump Zaitsev on the wings. Otherwise there’s zero reason for this rumor to exist.

Pretty much my thinking, GM'S do things that surprise me though

And this would surprise me

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Weren't you all here last year with the same fake news Glendening rumors?

Its "insiders" trying to connect Babcock to an old player. Why would we pay to get someone worse than Gauthier...

Reactions: WillNy29
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad