Proposal: Speculation: Rumours: Done Deals: Trade Deadline 2019 ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
No offence but I could have signed JT and overpaid for the big 3. Dubas did make a good trade for Muzzin but it should not have taken him this long to start upgrading a porous D. Not to mention we are still soft as butter.
To be fair, the biggest two problems we have, far outweighing any overpayment to Nylander and Matthews, is the $10+million a year going to Marleau and Zaitzev, albatrosses hung around our neck by that old boy fav, Lou.
Kyle has been our GM for less than a year, and added Tavares (huge win) and Muzzin (huge win).
If he paid Nylander half a mil a year too much and Matthews a mil a year too much, trade Brown and play Moore and you are up a half mil.
Right now I give Dubas an A-, add someone like a depth RHD without subtracting from our roster before year end and he gets an A.
In the off season Zaitzev will be gone, even if we package a pick with him.
Marleau I don’t know, that will be up to him, but that 6 mil is on Lou.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
If Detroit likes Zaitsev and Leafs like Jensen, maybe something can work out. I would rather give them a bit of an add then take on another roster player. Wings could even try and re-sign Jensen in the off-season as well.

Det
Zaitsev, Timashov
Tor
Jensen

I would rather move Brown in the off-season for pick/prospect or use him for another move if needed.
Omg if Holland took this he is even worse of a GM than I thought.
Seriously they should be asking for Bracco instead of Timo and maybe a pick as well.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Lou did nothing to address the D besides re-signing Polak and handing out a crazy Zaitsev contract. Dubas just started
Not even going to get into the big 3 b/c other threads are a ****-show right now

Dubas was Lou's right hand man for how many years and was here before Lou got here. It is not like he was hired externally.

I am not criticising Dubas for the signings. I simply mentioned it because poster was praising him for the signings of JT, Matty and Willie.

Sure Lou handed Dubas a grenade but as far as the D goes, Dubas said he as bullish on his D this summer. This after watching the Bruins dismantle the right side of our D in the playoffs. I give Dubas credit where credit is due but when it comes to the D, he was at an F until he acquired Muzzin.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
If getting Jensen means Z going out, and us having to take on Glendening in the process. We gain on 2 fronts, cap space and bettering our defense. I don't understand what the issue is.

Brown and Glendening is a wash in salary. But Jensen makes no where close to Z and we get better in the process. Glendening may not be the best player but in the end, if we can buy him out after the season or ship him out for 4th rounder its not an issue. We can even waive him and send him to minors. In the end the jewel in the deal is Jensen who would upgrade the D for this seasons playoffs.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
If getting Jensen means Z going out, and us having to take on Glendening in the process. We gain on 2 fronts, cap space and bettering our defense. I don't understand what the issue is.

Brown and Glendening is a wash in salary. But Jensen makes no where close to Z and we get better in the process. Glendening may not be the best player but in the end, if we can buy him out after the season or ship him out for 4th rounder its not an issue. We can even waive him and send him to minors. In the end the jewel in the deal is Jensen who would upgrade the D for this seasons playoffs.

Cap actually works out fine, we can demote Lindholm and Oz until the playoffs begin to save cap.

Marleau-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Kadri-Kapanen
Ennis-Glendenning-Brown
Gauthier

Muzzin-Rielly
Gardiner-Hainsey
Dermott-Jensen

Andersen

I don't love the idea of adding Glendenning but if Zaitsev is going the other way, I will suck it up.

Reactions: Kiwi and SAMCRO44

RLF

May 5, 2014
Omg if Holland took this he is even worse of a GM than I thought.
Seriously they should be asking for Bracco instead of Timo and maybe a pick as well.

It was based on some saying Wings has interest in Zaitsev. If it is that they take Zaitsev only if we give X+X, that is different. It would be more of a cap dump. If they have actual interest, we shouldn't have to give up one of our top prospects and a pick. Jensen is a pending UFA, is ok, but nothing fantastic.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Dubas was Lou's right hand man for how many years and was here before Lou got here. It is not like he was hired externally.

I am not criticising Dubas for the signings. I simply mentioned it because poster was praising him for the signings of JT, Matty and Willie.

Sure Lou handed Dubas a grenade but as far as the D goes, Dubas said he as bullish on his D this summer. This after watching the Bruins dismantle the right side of our D in the playoffs. I give Dubas credit where credit is due but when it comes to the D, he was at an F until he acquired Muzzin.

Had to see what he had too with Oz, Holl (although babcock won't play), Dermott and to see if Zaitsev bounced back. Don't think he's done either

Reactions: Menzinger

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
New Jersey is the perfect destination for Zaitsev with their plethora of cap space. Again, the off-season is the best time for such a move.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
New Jersey is the perfect destination for Zaitsev with their plethora of cap space. Again, the off-season is the best time for such a move.

I've liked Seversen for quite a while...

To NJD:
Zaitev
+?

To TOR:
Seversen
+?

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I thought that was a steal actually. A late 1st and Grundstrom. I see Durzi as an ECHL/AHL lifer.
either way, only time will tell what value junior gave up, Blake's happy with the return that tells me something.

ChazzMichaelMichaels

Jul 10, 2014
It was based on some saying Wings has interest in Zaitsev. If it is that they take Zaitsev only if we give X+X, that is different. It would be more of a cap dump. If they have actual interest, we shouldn't have to give up one of our top prospects and a pick. Jensen is a pending UFA, is ok, but nothing fantastic.

I think it comes with the rumours from (Frank Seravalli) about the leafs interest in Glendening. I think most would agree this is only possibly if Zaitsev goes in the opposite direction. There is no way Detroit would take on Zaitsev's contract while also sending us Jensen so I'd imagine Zaitsev straight up for Glendening makes more sense. Use Glendening for the playoffs and move him before next season. Would also make acquiring another RHD make sense.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
No offence but I could have signed JT and overpaid for the big 3. Dubas did make a good trade for Muzzin but it should not have taken him this long to start upgrading a porous D. Not to mention we are still soft as butter.
So...you're one of the 'glass half empty' crowd. Team has been progressing nicely since the arrival of the 'kids' and Babcock,they currently are the 3rd best goal differential team in the league. all in all ,they look poised to stay 'competitive' for years to come.
Some play-off success would be nice,but time will tell. So far,so good.
One would get the impression it was your money Dubas was spending...do you really believe the Leafs are not thinking this through? What would you do to make the team a cup winner overnite?

RLF

May 5, 2014
I think it comes withe the rumours from (Frank Seravalli) about the leafs interest in Glendening. I think most would agree this is only possibly if Zaitsev goes in the opposite direction. There is no way Detroit would take on Zaitsev's contract while also sending us Jensen so I'd imagine Zaitsev straight up for Glendening makes more sense. Use Glendening for the playoffs and move him before next season. Would also make acquiring another RHD make sense.

So, they don't really have interest in Z, but may if we take Glendening?

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I honestly do not feel Dubas is done by a long shot. Glendening rumor has more to it. If indeed it is a valid rumor, it has to mean other salary is heading out and other deals are in the works.

This along with all the Carolina scouting both ways means big changes are coming.

ChazzMichaelMichaels

Jul 10, 2014
So, they don't really have interest in Z, but may if we take Glendening?

Zaitsev hasn't been mentioned by anyone of any substance, just us here chatting and being hopeful someone takes Zaitsev. The Glendening rumours are so weird, there is no way we could fit that contract unless Zaitsev is going the other way.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
I honestly do not feel Dubas is done by a long shot. Glendening rumor has more to it. If indeed it is a valid rumor, it has to mean other salary is heading out and other deals are in the works.

This along with all the Carolina scouting both ways means big changes are coming.
If Dubas trades for Glendenning I will downgrade my view of him dramatically. Unless both Z and Marleau go the other way!!!

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
After the season and before July 1st 2019: Nathan Horton and a small salary takeback (~$1M) for David Clarkson.

After July 1st 2019: Zaitsev and Clarkson to New Jersey for a bag of pucks. Zaitsev and Clarkson are only due $1.5M and $1M respectively in the 2019-20 after receiving their bonuses on July 1st. Their cap hits are easily handled in New Jersey, Clarkson comes off the books at the end of the 2019-20. New Jersey gets a needed defense body for nothing.

Net savings: $4.5M AAV for Zaitsev minus the cost of his roster replacement and the elimination of a messy LTIR body in the process.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
either way, only time will tell what value junior gave up, Blake's happy with the return that tells me something.

Well, to be fair, he's gradually run that team into the ground. They are in the conversation for the #1 pick. He signed that ridiculous Kovalchuk deal.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Cap actually works out fine, we can demote Lindholm and Oz until the playoffs begin to save cap.

Marleau-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Kadri-Kapanen
Ennis-Glendenning-Brown
Gauthier

Muzzin-Rielly
Gardiner-Hainsey
Dermott-Jensen

Andersen

I don't love the idea of adding Glendenning but if Zaitsev is going the other way, I will suck it up.

Replace Jensen for Hainsey and you've got something
I'd get Marleau away from Matthews as well

I'm on board the Zaitsev for Glendenning train, I can't understand why Detroit does it but why not from a Leafs POV
I wouldn't be happy if it doesn't involve Zaitsev though, it's a cap killer in any other scenario I've tried

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
So...you're one of the 'glass half empty' crowd. Team has been progressing nicely since the arrival of the 'kids' and Babcock,they currently are the 3rd best goal differential team in the league. all in all ,they look poised to stay 'competitive' for years to come.
Some play-off success would be nice,but time will tell. So far,so good.
One would get the impression it was your money Dubas was spending...do you really believe the Leafs are not thinking this through? What would you do to make the team a cup winner overnite?

Thinking I could have signed JT and overpaid for the big 3 makes me glass half empty ? I don't believe I have criticised Dubas much in the past. In my opinion, he has been OK for a rookie GM. The Muzzin trade has him trending up. He now needs to keep it going. If he does not further address the D or our lack of heavy players and we get bounced in the first round by the Bruins, I will probably criticise him and Babs. Likewise they will be praised if they do well in the playoffs.

RLF

May 5, 2014
Zaitsev hasn't been mentioned by anyone of any substance, just us here chatting and being hopeful someone takes Zaitsev. The Glendening rumours are so weird, there is no way we could fit that contract unless Zaitsev is going the other way.

Ah ok. I came in a bit late to discussion. lol
I had read a post where someone said that Wings would be a team to likely have interest in Zaitsev and thought that was part of the rumour. Couldn't see why they would bring on Z and his hit and term, just to get rid of Glendenings hit and term either...but GM's make some deals that shock me.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Well, to be fair, he's gradually run that team into the ground. They are in the conversation for the #1 pick. He signed that ridiculous Kovalchuk deal.
imo, he took over when they were in "no man's land" tough place to be, and I'm sure in hindsight he'd rethink some of the moves he's made.

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
I think if zats gets moved for a reasonable cost it will be to a team that has a Russian contingent coming through the ranks. zats can help with the language barrier(which is necessary), so I think the rags might be a good destination as they have a bunch of Russians in the pipeline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->