Proposal: Speculation: Rumours: Done Deals: Trade Deadline 2019 ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Wonder if we would be interested in Spurgeon as a deadline add. He's a UFA at the end of the year and Minny's year is practically over? Wonder what it would take, dont want to break the bank but what could he fetch on a deadline deal?

I don't know if we can acquire him anymore without our first round pick. And the cap would be hard to make it happen. He also has 1 more year on his contract for the record.

Spurgeon would be amazing though.

Minny is in a wildcard spot right now. Maybe this time next week they are out and selling. The West is super tight. I would assume a similar return to what Muzzin got would be what they are looking for.

Last edited:

WildBoy

Apr 2, 2012
Grimsby, Ontario
Wonder if we would be interested in Spurgeon as a deadline add. He's a UFA at the end of the year and Minny's year is practically over? Wonder what it would take, dont want to break the bank but what could he fetch on a deadline deal?
He has one more year on his contract but he would be a solid addition to the d corps

daethfromabove1979

Jun 20, 2006

Wonder if they'd have any interest in Jake Gardiner? He is from Minnesota so there's a chance they could sign him too. We would have to add but I would love this move.

Edit - nevermind, he's not a UFA at the end of this year

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
At this point Dubas has to be crazy not to trade Jake. The guy has 0 motivation out there. Its heartbreaking to me as a Jake fan. I know the money isnt there ansd he got booed out. Good player but if he isnt here mentally, trade him to a PO team where he can think about winning again.

Dubas is coming off more and more as inexperienced and wet. I hope he keeps his streak of good trades going at least.

Reactions: rumman

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Would love nothing more the Gardiner being shipped out. Won’t happen tho

I’m dreading watch his pathetic play in the playoffs.

Reactions: Cobra777

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
At this point Dubas has to be crazy not to trade Jake. The guy has 0 motivation out there. Its heartbreaking to me as a Jake fan. I know the money isnt there ansd he got booed out. Good player but if he isnt here mentally, trade him to a PO team where he can think about winning again.

Dubas is coming off more and more as inexperienced and wet. I hope he keeps his streak of good trades going at least.

If anything Jake needs to be moved so we can move Rielly back to his strong side. It would take some effort for Dubas to move Jake, acquire a #4 RHD plus whatever pieces he thinks we need.

Reactions: Cobra777 and rumman

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Any trade for a player making more than a million or so the rest of the year needs to have a contract going back the other way due to the roster being full + cap room.

Wouldn't shock me if Holl is moved.

Say Holl + 3rd for Jensen

RLF

May 5, 2014
If anything Jake needs to be moved so we can move Rielly back to his strong side. It would take some effort for Dubas to move Jake, acquire a #4 RHD plus whatever pieces he thinks we need.

If he is going to, it has to be soon so the acquiring team has time to work out a deal and flip Gardiner before the deadline.imo

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
If the target really is Pesce and they want forwards/picks/futures.

Could be wise to see if we could get a buyer for Gardiner at a 1st.

Package 1st, Kap & something small for Pesce if that's what Dubas is willing to do.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Any trade for a player making more than a million or so the rest of the year needs to have a contract going back the other way due to the roster being full + cap room.

Wouldn't shock me if Holl is moved.

Say Holl + 3rd for Jensen

Oz and Lindholm can go down without waivers to clear cap and roster spots. Once the playoffs start, roster limitations and cap doesn't matter.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Oz and Lindholm can go down without waivers to clear cap and roster spots. Once the playoffs start, roster limitations and cap doesn't matter.
I get that, but simply for a Roster spot, they might trade one of Holl/Oz if they're getting a dman simply to clear the room.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I get that, but simply for a Roster spot, they might trade one of Holl/Oz if they're getting a dman simply to clear the room.

Yeah, always possible. I think Pridham is great with roster manipulation to maximize the cap.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Yeah, always possible. I think Pridham is great with roster manipulation to maximize the cap.

I wonder if the leafs target a possible buyout candidate in a Zaitsev trade. The contract has to have no more than 2 years left on it, since a buyout would stretch over 4 years, when Zaitsev has 5 left after this year.

Say for example's sake, pre draft, they trade Zaitsev + Engvall + Sparks for Russell, 4th.

Leafs then buyout Russell before June 30th.

With no retention, the Leafs save $3,083,333 in cap due to the buyout in 2019-20, only costing the team 916k per year in actual salary to Russell.

In 2020-21 when they have more cap space, the buyout cap hit goes up to 3,416,667, but then down to 916,667 for the remaining 2 years of the buyout.

A deal like that is what I see happening with Zaitsev, assuming the Leafs don't retain a cent.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
If the target really is Pesce and they want forwards/picks/futures.

Could be wise to see if we could get a buyer for Gardiner at a 1st.

Package 1st, Kap & something small for Pesce if that's what Dubas is willing to do.
I was thinking something similar. But with Johnsson.

Ship Jake + B prospect out for a 1st + player making under $2 million (expiring, or with term and useful).

Send Johnsson, Rosen, + 2nd to Carolina for Pesce. Or Johnsson, Rosen, 1st for Pesce and Foegele. Call up Moore to replace Johnsson's speed

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.

Ship Jake + B prospect out for a 1st + player making under $2 million (expiring, or with term and useful).

Send Johnsson, Rosen, + 2nd to Carolina for Pesce. Or Johnsson, Rosen, 1st for Pesce and Foegele. Call up Moore to replace Johnsson's speed

My rationale for Kapanen over Johnsson is:

- Johnsson will probably demand a little less on the cap
- He's more of a direct goal threat
- He's a LW
- We have way more RW's, especially who may be ready to make the jump next season to replace Kapanen
- Kapanen probably has slightly more value on the market right now and therefore will mean less of a demand for the +

I would really miss Kapanen's speed and directly play though and I would happily keep both if it can be done.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
My rationale for Kapanen over Johnsson is:

- Johnsson will probably demand a little less on the cap
- He's more of a direct goal threat
- He's a LW
- We have way more RW's, especially who may be ready to make the jump next season to replace Kapanen
- Kapanen probably has slightly more value on the market right now and therefore will mean less of a demand for the +

I would really miss Kapanen's speed and directly play though and I would happily keep both if it can be done.
Oh, that makes sense for sure. I don't disagree really, as it is very close for me.

My rationale is this. One has to figure that Brown might be a cap casualty this offseason, so suddenly RW depth drops off a cliff with only 2 actual NHL RW's. We are tied to Marleau, have Hyman , Moore, and possibly Lindholm next year, and most of the Marlies better prospects outside of Bracco are D and LW.

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
Oh, that makes sense for sure. I don't disagree really, as it is very close for me.

My rationale is this. One has to figure that Brown might be a cap casualty this offseason, so suddenly RW depth drops off a cliff with only 2 actual NHL RW's. We are tied to Marleau, have Hyman , Moore, and possibly Lindholm next year, and most of the Marlies better prospects outside of Bracco are D and LW.

Yeah that's true. I can see Brown moving and I take no issue with that. Moore has certainly done enough to earn a spot.

I'm going off Lindholm a little, feels like he's having less and less impact.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

I have been saying this all season but people thought I was crazy. "Leafs will never trade Gardiner". While it is probably unlikely, if Dubas is not at least considering it to get more assets to use elsewhere, then he's not doing his job as a GM of a competitive team. Almost nobody should be untouchable, especially non-core UFA's who should not (or will not) be on the team past this year...

As long as you use the assets or make a corresponding move to make the team better, which would easily be the case in acquiring Pesce.

:leafs
C Jake Leschyshyn
2019 1st round pick

:vegas
LD Jake Gardiner

:leafs
RD Brett Pesce
LW Michael Ferland

:canes
LW Andreas Johnsson
C Jake Leschyshyn
C Semyon Der-Arguchintsev
2019 1st round pick (VGK)

That was more along my thought process. That is a very enticing offer for Carolina to consider, and we may even be able to give up less in terms of one of the prospects we give up (we may be able to give up someone like Timashov instead) or the pick (perhaps the 2020 2nd instead).

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Ferland-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Kapanen
Ennis-Lindholm-Brown
Gauthier

Rielly-Pesce
Muzzin-Zaitsev
Dermott-Hainsey
Holl-Ozhiganov

Andersen-Sparks

That's the playoff roster. After the year is done, look into trading Brown and Zaitsev, which I do not think will be as hard as people expect and should net us some futures to us in other deals, or a guy to replace Zaitsev (like Tanev). I still like Brown, Zaitsev and Borgman for Tanev and Gagner w/ retention, which I think is an amazing deal for Vancouver, and an acceptable one for the Leafs under the circumstances.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Ferland-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Kapanen
Ennis-Lindholm-Brown
Gauthier

Rielly-Pesce
Muzzin-Zaitsev
Dermott-Hainsey
Holl-Ozhiganov

Andersen-Sparks

That's the playoff roster. After the year is done, look into trading Brown and Zaitsev, which I do not think will be as hard as people expect and should net us some futures to us in other deals, or a guy to replace Zaitsev (like Tanev). I still like Brown, Zaitsev and Borgman for Tanev and Gagner w/ retention, which I think is an amazing deal for Vancouver, and an acceptable one for the Leafs under the circumstances.

I have floated the very scenario. Gagner @ 50%.

Reactions: SeaOfBlue

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Nobody likes Kassian for Brown?

The rationale for trading Brown is that he's a player that figures to be too expensive on the cap for the role he's likely to have going forward. Acquiring Kassian doesn't change much in that regard.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I have floated the very scenario. Gagner @ 50%.

At least it gives the Leafs a couple of assets that have value for a playoff team and does not treat Zaitsev as a cap dump. It's not perfect value, but if Tanev returns to his previous form on a much better team, the Leafs could make out very well. The thing about Tanev is that he will be a pending UFA that will likely command a lot of money from Vancouver, and his trade value is not at its peak. Zaitsev gives them a guy locked up with term but comes at the same cap hit, and someone who can immediately step into Tanev's current role and do well. So that gives them a lot of value, especially considering they are getting at least a young NHL depth defenseman in Borgman and a good bottom 6 winger with a bit of upside, and they save a bit of money on not having to bury or buy out Gagner.

For the Leafs, they are fine with just having Tanev for one year and then hoping Liljegren can step up into the top 4 after a year on the bottom pairing. If not, you just sign another Hainsey-type guy for a year or two to bridge the gap, which is no big deal. Tanev can go to UFA and make his money, or he can even stay with his hometown team if he's willing to take a nice enough deal. Gagner can act like an Ennis or just play on the Marlies, costing us only like 500k or so to bury him for a year. We will need some bottom 6 scoring depth, and he's probably better than most UFA's or internal options he'll be competing against. He's not a 3+ mill player, but even in a depth role, he is still a 30-40 point offensive player who can play on the 2PP.

Reactions: kb

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
The rationale for trading Brown is that he's a player that figures to be too expensive on the cap for the role he's likely to have going forward. Acquiring Kassian doesn't change much in that regard.

He's also a downgrade on Brown despite being older... So even without the cap issues, it makes no sense for the Leafs.

Reactions: Buds17
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad