Speculation: Speculation, Rumours, and Pretending to be a GM XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
We definitely have the team that could finish above LA. But it will come down to goaltending, they have a true #1, we have two overpaid backups imo. Last year both of them had huge holes in their game. Rebound control wasn't good with either. Early easy goals on Hiller. Overplaying a cross crease move for Ramo which took him out of plays.

Now, Ortio on his call up looked good, composed, had decent rebound control, but is he ready to be a full time starter? Only given the chance will we ever know.

I agree that Hiller and Ramo aren't top notch goaltenders, but they're definitely not backup quality. It feels more like we have two 1B goaltenders with no clear 1A.

May 27, 2012
Earth
It's because he let in a few weak goals during the season. The perception is based on that. He is also, according to some fans, "holding back Ortio", won't get an opportunity. Some also think Ramo can play 70 games. Lol ok.

We are lucky we got Hiller in FA.

If anything, the closer goalie to a back up is Ramo.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
It's because he let in a few weak goals during the season. The perception is based on that. He is also, according to some fans, "holding back Ortio", won't get an opportunity. Some also think Ramo can play 70 games. Lol ok.

I don't agree with you often, but I do 100% on this.

saillias

Sep 6, 2004
Calgary
Hey guys, serious question here do you guys think (un-homerly) that you will finish higher than the Kings in the regular season?

Also do you think you will go further in playoffs?

I made 2 bets and am curious to know your fan base opinion

I think the Kings are a mess.

Quick was mediocre last year with an average defense in front of him. The defense did not improve. Doughty was already playing 30 min a night and they want to lower that to 25 but they don't have the depth to do it. Martinez, Greene, McNabb appears to be their healthy bottom 3.

Lombardi isn't getting any flack for the Sekera move which was a debacle. He played a few games and got hurt. And signed elsewhere, but in the same division to rub salt in the wound. And they gave up a 1st for him. And they still missed the playoffs. If they saved that 1st they could have put together a package for Hamilton.

Brown's game is trending downward and his contract is nearly Clarkson-level scary.

Lucic is a UFA talking about signing in Vancouver.

The only thing about them that looks strong is their top 6 forwards and their first pairing.

People bring up that they're still a very recent cup winner but all that depth is gone and/or their game has fell off a cliff. Mitchell, Voynov, Regehr, Stoll, Williams, no longer there from the last cup. Several of the guys still there are on the back 9 and on long term contracts.

Last edited:

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Only because he ended the season cold. The hot goalie is best, and the other guy is a bum. We also saw that when Hiller was hot, and Ramo suxors and "is the one who must be traded".

I thought Hartley did a great job of rotating the guys JUST as they started getting cold. He knew when a weak goal was just a bad play and when it was the start of worse things to come and he's make the switch.

How many times did Hartley swap goalies in a game and we'd come back to win? I'd love to see that stat vs. the rest of the league. Probably top 3

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

A 'few', would be a very generous description. However I agree that Hiller is undervalued by a lot of our fanbase. I don't think either of him or Ramo is the long term solution, but having the two of them while we transition has been invaluable. We were very lucky to pick up Hiller in FA especially on such a favorable deal.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Neither Hiller or Ramo is a top goalie on their own, both are starters though IMO. The key with these guys though is that played incredibly well in a tandem and essentially provided an elite level by covering each other's deficiencies.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Hiller is an alright goalie. I just think Ramo has it in him to be better, it seemed like everytime Ramo was about to take that step and be the true #1, he got hurt. I think Hiller is what he is, a serviceable 1B, I don't see any other upside there.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
A 'few', would be a very generous description. However I agree that Hiller is undervalued by a lot of our fanbase. I don't think either of him or Ramo is the long term solution, but having the two of them while we transition has been invaluable. We were very lucky to pick up Hiller in FA especially on such a favorable deal.
true, it would be like saying Ramo occasionally lost his net. When more accurately he loses his net like the Coyotes lose money. :laugh:

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Hiller is good enough to win a Cup if you put a good defense in front of him. Big enough, strong enough positionally, and quick pads. He's not a star goalie, but he's good enough.

Ramo... maybe he's comparable to Niemi in 2010 but that's the extent of it. Very athletic so he can cover better for D mistakes (which I thought was the real reason he took the net from Hiller in the Ducks series) but I find he lets too many shots in from the slot. Not necessarily "soft goals" like Hiller sometimes lets in early in games but the kind of saves you need an NHL goaltender to make with the game on the line. When he's hot, he's excellent, but when he's cold, I don't trust him in net.

Ultimately, though, Hiller is 33 going on 34 and Ramo is 29, that age difference has to be considered as no one wants to throw Gillies in so soon and long term the younger player makes sense because the ability difference isn't significant enough.

I truly think Ortio is better than both. Better rebound control, better positioning, similar athleticism to Ramo, nice glove hand, and he fights through screens like a Champ. It's too early to annoint him "#1G status" but if anyone is can be a #1G among the three, it's him.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg

Agreed. I became frustrated with Hiller at times, but he's still the best option available. Ramo is good for 20 games or so. Ortio is a total question mark. He may be capable of being the starter. He might also be another Irving.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
That Toronto trade basically guarantees another team would take Ortio. Buffalo would have first shot at him, then Edmonton:help:, then Arizona nad Toronto. One of thosse teams would take him.

Ortio deserves a shot based on his AHL success, Hiller and Ramo are expendable and there is no guarentee they would get picked up on waivers if they were sent to the minors (In fact I think its much less likely).

Hiller is traded or hits waivers IMO.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Neither Hiller nor Ramo are long term options in net. I'd have no problem moving on from either one. Factor in age, and Hiller is the obvious choice to trade or waive.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Neither Hiller nor Ramo are long term options in net. I'd have no problem moving on from either one. Factor in age, and Hiller is the obvious choice to trade or waive.

I'd be far more comfortable with a Hiller/Ortio duo than I would be a Ramo/Ortio duo.

Demetric

Jun 19, 2013
Under a Rock
That Toronto trade basically guarantees another team would take Ortio. Buffalo would have first shot at him, then Edmonton:help:, then Arizona nad Toronto. One of thosse teams would take him.

Ortio deserves a shot based on his AHL success, Hiller and Ramo are expendable and there is no guarentee they would get picked up on waivers if they were sent to the minors (In fact I think its much less likely).

why?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
They wouldn't. All those teams listed have their goaltending set with the backup being as good or better than Ortio. Except maybe Phoenix who are on a strict internal budget and it would be unlikely for them to waive/demote recently signed Lindback

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012

Because they are in rebuild mode, can afford to play the young guys and Lamouriello said the reason he liked the deal is it allowed the leafs to add 3 or 4 contracts of young guys being put on waivers.
And they are definitely not sold on Bernier and the ship has sailed on Reimer as a starter.
I don't even think the leafs would get a chance to make the claim. My guess is Buffalo or Edmonton would grab him and pair him with Lehner or Talbot.
None of those teams have their long term starter locked in, and all are fairly weak in terms of goal-tending prospects.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
This may sound weird, but I like Ramo slightly more than Hiller, but I to also feel more at ease with a Hiller/Ortio duo over a Ramo/Ortio one. It comes down to experience.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I'd be far more comfortable with a Hiller/Ortio duo than I would be a Ramo/Ortio duo.

Ramo/Ortio would be death.

But, Hiller's probably gone before this time next season unless he miraculously steals the starting spot in a fashion a la Kipper. Really curious to see how our goaltending situation looks next season

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010

His cap hit is such that he would likely clear waivers at this stage of the season.

I expect the Flames will carry 3 goalies until they can sort this out, or lose Ortio on waivers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad