Speculation: Speculation, Rumours, and Pretending to be a GM XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 27, 2012
Earth
I wonder if nakladal could be shipped off for assets mid season if he proves himself in a bottom pairing role. Keeping morrison and wotherspoon on the farm in a top pairing role for half a season. That is if nakladal was a good pickup, if not he could be a #7 or in the AHL

If Nakladal is that good and proves to be a bottom pairing dman, I would rather keep him and ship off someone else. He is in his prime right now.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
If Nakladal is that good and proves to be a bottom pairing dman, I would rather keep him and ship off someone else. He is in his prime right now.

potentially replacing russell if he prices himself out of calgary

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Okposo would be an excellent fit (especially if he'll sign for <6M per) but I wouldn't trade Hudler straight up given the eye injury Okposo suffered last year. Remains to be seen whether he's as effective as he was prior to that point.

At this stage, would only consider moving names like Shore/Granlund/Colborne/Hiller/Ramo/Wotherspoon, maybe Russell and see if a combination of those players can get it done. If not, I'd wait until free agency next summer.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Who's projected to be the starting goalie this year? Seems you guys have 3 guys who could get the nod

Whoever wins the job in training camp, then it's wait and see what happens to the third guy, but regardless of who is the "starter" they're probably only the starter until they hit a cold streak, then it'll be a 1A/1B system like last year.

As 100 TG said, probably Ramo or Hiller, but based off Hartley's comments so far he's not excluding Ortio just yet.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Acquiring Okposo would likely cost Hudler and Russell, from a salary cap perspective. So if including Hudler would help us land Okposo, while opening up some roster spots by including some other B pieces, then I would look at it.

I get the resistance to keep Hudler over Okposo, but long term Okposo is a much better solution. He might cost about a million more to resign, but he's younger, he has more size, he's more physical, and I think he has more upside personally. The big thing with Hudler though is that he is really well liked in the dressing room, so moving him out could affect the dressing room.

Personally I'd do it though, we are still rebuilding and Okposo would be a huge core piece to add for us long term.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Who's projected to be the starting goalie this year? Seems you guys have 3 guys who could get the nod

My gut tells me we start the season with Ortio/Ramo as a tandem - BUT we have to find a buyer for Hiller.

Why?

1) Hartley has called Ramo something along the lines of Hardest Worker on the team. They want him pushing whoever is ahead or behind him. They showed full confidence in him to start 30+ games and 4 straight playoff games in a year he had multiple injuries cutting his GP - not normal backup status at all.
2) Ortio is probably the best goaltender we have and the best investment long-term. Sending him to the minors means risking losing him to waivers as well as cutting into Jon Gillies' development opportunities.
3) Hiller @ 50% Retained probably nets the best return as he's "proven". There is very low likelyhood of re-signing him next off-season.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Here we go again. Sure, Hiller lets in questionable goals somethimes, but he is the most reliable out of the 3. Ramo is able to play well due to his athleticism. He is usually out of position and saves himself sometimes due to it. If I were to choose between Hiller and Ramo going forward , it would have to be Hiller.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Acquiring Okposo would likely cost Hudler and Russell, from a salary cap perspective. So if including Hudler would help us land Okposo, while opening up some roster spots by including some other B pieces, then I would look at it.

I get the resistance to keep Hudler over Okposo, but long term Okposo is a much better solution. He might cost about a million more to resign, but he's younger, he has more size, he's more physical, and I think he has more upside personally. The big thing with Hudler though is that he is really well liked in the dressing room, so moving him out could affect the dressing room.

Personally I'd do it though, we are still rebuilding and Okposo would be a huge core piece to add for us long term.

Okposo would fill a BIG positional need too! A big/young(ish) RHS RW who produces top-line numbers. He is a solid leader with good character which would help him transition into our locker room with ease.

Imagine:

Johnny - Monahan - Okposo
Frolik - Bennett - ______ (Colborne, Poirier, or some other trade/FA)

Gio - Ham
Brodie - Russ

The only piece(s) missing is a legit #1G imo. A true 2nd line RW would be nice too. I honestly think we'll be contenting very soon!

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Here we go again. Sure, Hiller lets in questionable goals somethimes, but he is the most reliable out of the 3. Ramo is able to play well due to his athleticism. He is usually out of position and saves himself sometimes due to it. If I were to choose between Hiller and Ramo going forward , it would have to be Hiller.
Ferkie you are batting 1.000 on this subject lately :yo:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

This is just an opinion, though. If he was really the most reliable, then why didn't Hartley rely on him in the playoffs?

From what I've seen the past couple of seasons, Ramo is inconsistent when his playing time is inconsistent, but once he's given a chance to take the reigns for a while, he has a tendency to find a rhythm.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
This is just an opinion, though. If he was really the most reliable, then why didn't Hartley rely on him in the playoffs?

From what I've seen the past couple of seasons, Ramo is inconsistent when his playing time is inconsistent, but once he's given a chance to take the reigns for a while, he has a tendency to find a rhythm.
I think that part of the reason Hiller is more reliable is because Ramo has spent an awful lot of time on IR in his two years here. I think when healthy they are pretty even.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Not so much IR but Hiller just better all around number as per TSN LINK
I am a big Hiller supporter and even I know you can't just look at numbers, all numbers are team numbers when it comes to goaltending. But Ramo has had trouble staying healthy, for example this is the first year he has started the season healthy.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I am a big Hiller supporter and even I know you can't just look at numbers, all numbers are team numbers when it comes to goaltending. But Ramo has had trouble staying healthy, for example this is the first year he has started the season healthy.

Even as a big fan and to-be avatar-wearer of Ramo, I'd be remiss if I didn't admit that it concerns me whether his injury issues are systematic or if he's just been unlucky.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Even as a big fan and to-be avatar-wearer of Ramo, I'd be remiss if I didn't admit that it concerns me whether his injury issues are systematic or if he's just been unlucky.
I think injuries are the biggest reason I would be more comfortable with a Hiller/Ortio duo over a Ramo/Ortio one should Ortio make the team. It is also concerning to me that Ramo has never played a 50 game season anywhere in his career and if he and Ortio were the duo it would more or less force Hartley to start Ortio in 35+ games when Ortio has never started more than 37 in the AHL

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think injuries are the biggest reason I would be more comfortable with a Hiller/Ortio duo over a Ramo/Ortio one should Ortio make the team. It is also concerning to me that Ramo has never played a 50 game season anywhere in his career and if he and Ortio were the duo it would more or less force Hartley to start Ortio in 35+ games when Ortio has never started more than 37 in the AHL

That's actually a really good point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad