Speculation: Speculation, Rumours, and Pretending to be a GM XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Losing Jooris to waivers would be the worst situation. That cannot happen. The other three I'd live with. Ortio id be upset. I really like him.

Honestly, losing Jooris wouldn't be the end of the world. He's a good 3rd liner, but the Flames have plenty of guys capable of filling that role. Training camp has had Hudler with Bennett, and Ferland with Monahan and Gaudreau. I'd like to see Jooris with Hudler and Bennett if they do decide to pair those two together. Jooris did well between Gaudreau and Hudler, I think he'd fit well with Bennett/Hudler.

Don't really get what people see in shore. Too slow for the NHL at this point. He's been very vanilla in every game he's played with the big club.

Agreed. However, I'd like to see him get a chance.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Honestly, losing Jooris wouldn't be the end of the world. He's a good 3rd liner, but the Flames have plenty of guys capable of filling that role. Training camp has had Hudler with Bennett, and Ferland with Monahan and Gaudreau. I'd like to see Jooris with Hudler and Bennett if they do decide to pair those two together. Jooris did well between Gaudreau and Hudler, I think he'd fit well with Bennett/Hudler.
It's about pairs, so that would be Bennett/Hudler and Johnny/Monahan. Ferland being with them doesn't mean much and I am positive will not continue for long, just like I do not expect Raymond to continue playing with Bennett and Hudler.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
It's about pairs, so that would be Bennett/Hudler and Johnny/Monahan. Ferland being with them doesn't mean much and I am positive will not continue for long, just like I do not expect Raymond to continue playing with Bennett and Hudler.

If they decide to do the pair thing, I'd like to see;

Gaudreau - Monahan - Colborne or Frolik
Hudler - Bennett - Frolik or Jooris
Bouma - Backlund - Jooris or Colborne
Ferland - Stajan - Jones

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Raymond is easily exposed, a dream scenario if he gets claimed.

I'm not a big fan of Bollig, but I think the Flames are.

I wouldn't want to lose the rest.

Raymond goes on waiver.

One of Jooris or Shore fight for the last spot.

My guess is Shore will be traded for mid round pick

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
If they decide to do the pair thing, I'd like to see;

Gaudreau - Monahan - Colborne or Frolik
Hudler - Bennett - Frolik or Jooris
Bouma - Backlund - Jooris or Colborne
Ferland - Stajan - Jones
As you know I am a big Colborne supporter but I do not feel he fits with Gaudreau and Monahan. I actually think Jones is a much better fit there, Jooris a better fit with Stajan & Ferland and Colborne with Bennett & Hudler. But I do think Hartley has Stajan/Jones as a duo since they are playing with Klimchuk.

Right now I think the duos are:

Gaudreau/Monahan
Hudler/Bennett
Bouma/Backlund
Stajan/Jones

However Treliving talked about sheltering Bennett, if he is playing with Hudler he will not be sheltered that much since Hudler is now seen as a serious offensive threat. So I think we will see that pairing split up and Bennett end up with Frolik or Colborne

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
As you know I am a big Colborne supporter but I do not feel he fits with Gaudreau and Monahan. I actually think Jones is a much better fit there, Jooris a better fit with Stajan & Ferland and Colborne with Bennett & Hudler. But I do think Hartley has Stajan/Jones as a duo since they are playing with Klimchuk.

Right now I think the duos are:

Gaudreau/Monahan
Hudler/Bennett
Bouma/Backlund
Stajan/Jones

However Treliving talked about sheltering Bennett, if he is playing with Hudler he will not be sheltered that much since Hudler is now seen as a serious offensive threat. So I think we will see that pairing split up and Bennett end up with Frolik or Colborne

Colborne has done really well with Monahan in the past. I think Stajan and Jones will be together, with Ferland/Byron.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I'm happy to give Shore the benefit of the doubt and expect big things from him this season, but I don't understand how some people have had lineups with him ahead of guys like Byron, Jooris and even Colborne. If Shore earns that spot, that can only be good for us, but I don't see any reason to expect that. :dunno:

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
I can definitely see a guy like shore, arnold or even agostino passing byron and jooris on the depth chart by the season. Even though jooris had a pretty good rookie year I dont think he separated himself from the top AHL guys.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I think Byron is pretty much a lock. Forgot to include him on my lineup a few posts ago. Nobody on this team has the speed he has, and his defensive game is great. His shot may suck, but he still creates chances often.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'm happy to give Shore the benefit of the doubt and expect big things from him this season, but I don't understand how some people have had lineups with him ahead of guys like Byron, Jooris and even Colborne. If Shore earns that spot, that can only be good for us, but I don't see any reason to expect that. :dunno:
I'm probably his biggest fan and even I don't pencil him in automatically. I think he makes the opening day roster, but I also think we will have 1 more injury so none of those expected to make the roster will need to be waived/demoted. I do think 2 of Shore, Bollig & Raymond start as the 13/14 forwards with the other being in the top 12, who that will be would be determined by who is injured. My ultimate preference is:

Gaudreau/Monahan/Hudler
Frolik/Backlund/Colborne
Bouma/Bennett/Jones
Ferland/Stajan/Jooris
x: Bollig/Shore/Raymond

Bollig would replace Ferland in event of injury.
Shore would replace Jooris in event of an injury (including an injury to a C or RW that causes Jooris to move up in the lineup).
Raymond would replace a LW top 9 injury.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I think Byron is pretty much a lock. Forgot to include him on my lineup a few posts ago. Nobody on this team has the speed he has, and his defensive game is great. His shot may suck, but he still creates chances often.

I wouldn't say he's a lock. But he has a good chance at making this team. If this guy was like 5-6 inches taller and a bigger body; he'd be a monster the way he plays.

Excellent PK'er; a speedster for sure. He's good, but a replaceable part unfortunately.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

I don't think anyone's "expecting" those things of Shore but the thing is "if" he can figure things out then he brings some elements that really balance out our roster. RH Faceoffs, puck-protection along the walls, vision, quick decision-making, a decent stick in the D-zone, and a pretty hard, although I don't think very precise one-timer. I do think there are things about his game that would really have been better off developed with more time in our farm than Florida's farm, and that might cost him his roster spot. I just think he has a lot to offer the roster if he can make the team.

I wouldn't say he's a lock.

- One of a handful of forwards who never once got healthy-scratched last year
- Our 2nd best possession forward due to his forechecking, defensive ability, and team-best acceleration

Byron's a lock.

If this guy was like 5-6 inches taller and a bigger body; he'd be a monster the way he plays.

You're getting too caught up in "height/weight". Byron plays one of the most aggressive games on our team, and Treliving has mentioned multiple times that they weigh footspeed ahead of height. Are both together the perfect combination? Sure, but no player is perfect. Byron has way more value than the bigger and higher-scoring Raymond because, well, he does all those things that Treliving glowingly said about Frolik in the signing presser. He has way more value than Bollig because he's a hockey player who, while an effective fourth liner, can and has been moved up to top line duty without looking out of place. Loading the team up with versatile spark-plugs like Byron, Jooris, Frolik, Bouma, Ferland is how Cup-winners are built these days.

We only really have two other small players on our roster in Johnny and Hudler - it's not a problem of having too many of one type of player because no other player on the roster brings what Byron brings.

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Byron just had screws removed from his wrist and isn't even taking contact. He's likely still out another 4-6 weeks and will start the season on IR

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011

Agreed. However, I'd like to see him get a chance.

I disagree strongly on Jooris. Yes, he's primarily a bottom 6 player, but he's much better at it than the rest of the available players to the Flames, aside from Backlund and Byron. He's definitely not the kind of player who should be exposed to waivers.

QcFlames12

Feb 1, 2012
I disagree strongly on Jooris. Yes, he's primarily a bottom 6 player, but he's much better at it than the rest of the available players to the Flames, aside from Backlund and Byron. He's definitely not the kind of player who should be exposed to waivers.

On top of all this Jooris is also on of Hartley's "favorite" Flames. Hartley always praises Jooris in interviews and always points him out as the kid who came from no where or no one to someone. Believe it or not having a jack knife player like Jooris is extremely important to this team. Guys solid defensively, has great wheels, and can play pretty much anywhere in the line up with out hurting the production. Like Bryon I am almost 100% sure that he will be yet again a regular this season.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Jooris IMO is a Chris Kunitz type. He plays his best hockey with Top 6 players, and less stellar with Bottom 6 players, but he himself is not a "Top-6" player in isolation.

The guys he's had chemistry with include Sven, Johnny, Jiri, because he's really good at getting himself into position and his best skill is "digging the puck". These are valuable skills that directly correlate to the winning brand of hockey played by teams like Chicago and Tampa, both also smaller teams.

Saying he or Byron is "replaceable" is disingenious because Jones, Colborne, Bollig, Raymond, Shore, Granlund, and even Ferland could all be deemed replaceable. A few of those guys tend to get a free pass online for their height or facepunching, which are not directly tied into effectiveness at hockey.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Jooris IMO is a Chris Kunitz type. He plays his best hockey with Top 6 players, and less stellar with Bottom 6 players, but he himself is not a "Top-6" player in isolation.

The guys he's had chemistry with include Sven, Johnny, Jiri, because he's really good at getting himself into position and his best skill is "digging the puck". These are valuable skills that directly correlate to the winning brand of hockey played by teams like Chicago and Tampa, both also smaller teams.

Saying he or Byron is "replaceable" is disingenious because Jones, Colborne, Bollig, Raymond, Shore, Granlund, and even Ferland could all be deemed replaceable. A few of those guys tend to get a free pass online for their height or facepunching, which are not directly tied into effectiveness at hockey.

Everyone plays their best hockey when they play with better players.

Aug 3, 2010
Lines I'd like to see on opening night:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Hudler
Colborne - Bennett/Backlund - Frolik
Jooris - Backlund/Bennett - Jones
Ferland - Stajan - Bouma
Byron

Giordano - Brodie
Hamilton - Russell
Engelland - Wideman
Smid/Nakladal

Ramo
Hiller
Ortio

---

Mostly I'm interested in seeing adding Frolik changes the chemistry of the centre pairings.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Lines I'd like to see on opening night:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Hudler
Colborne - Bennett/Backlund - Frolik
Jooris - Backlund/Bennett - Jones
Ferland - Stajan - Bouma
Byron

Giordano - Brodie
Hamilton - Russell
Engelland - Wideman
Smid/Nakladal

Ramo
Hiller
Ortio

---

Mostly I'm interested in seeing adding Frolik changes the chemistry of the centre pairings.
The odds of Byron being healthy by opening night are pretty slim since he isn't even scrimmaging with the team yet. I don't think he returns until mid-late October. Smid looks to be in a similar boat, but I have my doubts he will get clearance even then.

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Yeah Smido and Byron are pretty much locks to start the season on the IR.

And Dougie should be on the right side with Russell.
other than that those are pretty much the lines I'd role with rn.

Aug 3, 2010
The odds of Byron being healthy by opening night are pretty slim since he isn't even scrimmaging with the team yet. I don't think he returns until mid-late October. Smid looks to be in a similar boat, but I have my doubts he will get clearance even then.

Yeah, I kinda figured. Do you think Byron/Smid would pass through waivers for a conditioning stint in Stockton?

Also wondering where Poirier and/or Granlund might be. Lots of decisions to make for Treliving and company.

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Yeah, I kinda figured. Do you think Byron/Smid would pass through waivers for a conditioning stint in Stockton?

Also wondering where Poirier and/or Granlund might be. Lots of decisions to make for Treliving and company.

Stockton. Pretty easily IMO. UNLESS they did what Sean did 2 years ago and just blew their socks off.

IR: Smid, Bryon

Healthy scratches/rotating players: Raymond, Bollig

although I HOPE Raymond bounces back to play 2nd line with one of Sam or Backs and Frolik on 2nd line.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

A player doesn't have to clear waivers for a conditioning stint. But one of the reasons a conditioning stint is rare is due to the fact that they have to be activated from IR (and thus take up a roster spot) before being assigned on the conditioning stint. It is more likely they spend extra time practicing with the big club getting up to speed rather than a conditioning stint.

Poirier and Granlund will be in Stockton as they don't have to clear waivers and both IMO could use more time in the minors.

RedHot

Fire Dave Cameron (Fired)**
Aug 6, 2014
Calgary

Jooris feasts on lower competition, and he makes everyone around him better possession wise. I expect him to be a bottom six staple, and do well there.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
I wonder if nakladal could be shipped off for assets mid season if he proves himself in a bottom pairing role. Keeping morrison and wotherspoon on the farm in a top pairing role for half a season. That is if nakladal was a good pickup, if not he could be a #7 or in the AHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad