Speculation: Speculation, Rumours, and Pretending to be a GM XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I am to the point where I want Ortio to hit waivers just to see the epic overreactions and meltdowns on here when it happens.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
His cap hit is such that he would likely clear waivers at this stage of the season.

I expect the Flames will carry 3 goalies until they can sort this out, or lose Ortio on waivers.

Well the main argument for the one poster who thinks Ortio should be waived is, "Goalies can clear waivers at this time/ teams have the guys they want already in place"

So why shouldn't that logic apply to Hiller too... I mean who is more likely to get picked up on waivers? Hiller or Ortio?
Easily Ortio. He's been the best goalie in the AHL over the past two seasons, you don't give those guys up for free.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
IMO, we run with 3 and if Ortio hasn't proved himself by Christmas, he's traded for an average prospect or mid round pick. If he does, than obviously the weaker of the remaining two are dealt or waived. Pretty easy solution, let their play dictate what happens.

Treliving isn't in a corner where he HAS to decide immediately.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
IMO, we run with 3 and if Ortio hasn't proved himself by Christmas, he's traded for an average prospect or mid round pick. If he does, than obviously the weaker of the remaining two are dealt or waived. Pretty easy solution, let their play dictate what happens.

Treliving isn't in a corner where he HAS to decide immediately.
Except he does have to decide immediately. Maybe not on Ortio for sure, but if not him than an even tougher decision on the forwards than we already have. We only have a 23 man roster and if we are carrying an extra goaltender then we have to carry 1 less forward (13F-7D-3G instead of 14F-7D-2G) and we already have too many forwards. With Byron likely to start on IR it would put us into a situation where 2 of Shore, Jooris, Ferland, Bollig or Raymond have to be exposed to waivers.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Except he does have to decide immediately. Maybe not on Ortio for sure, but if not him than an even tougher decision on the forwards than we already have. We only have a 23 man roster and if we are carrying an extra goaltender then we have to carry 1 less forward (13F-7D-3G instead of 14F-7D-2G) and we already have too many forwards. With Byron likely to start on IR it would put us into a situation where 2 of Shore, Jooris, Ferland, Bollig or Raymond have to be exposed to waivers.

In a sense you are correct, but goalies are more valuable than 4th line forwards.

I meant we are fully capable of carrying 3 goalies, which is 100% true.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
In a sense you are correct, but goalies are more valuable than 4th line forwards.

I meant we are fully capable of carrying 3 goalies, which is 100% true.
Except carrying 3 goaltenders hurts all 3 goaltenders. They all lose net time in practice and it will especially hurt Ortio who needs as much time in net as possible to continue developing.

SickHandsNoShot

May 7, 2012

One can hope...:nod:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
One can hope...:nod:
Bollig was recently singled out by Treliving as one of the veterans that really establishes the culture for the team. I really doubt he is going anywhere. Raymond, IMO should have been bought out when we got the 2nd buyout window.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Except carrying 3 goaltenders hurts all 3 goaltenders. They all lose net time in practice and it will especially hurt Ortio who needs as much time in net as possible to continue developing.

Except it is still 100% possible like I said, and it's not a long term solution (something will be decided by Xmas) but at this point it's the best option. I would much rather risk losing Raymond (plz) or Shore, rather than expose a decent goalie.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Except it is still 100% possible like I said, and it's not a long term solution (something will be decided by Xmas) but at this point it's the best option. I would much rather risk losing Raymond (plz) or Shore, rather than expose a decent goalie.
Possible yes, but it is also stupid. Which isn't something Treliving is known to be.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I haven't been able to make it to training camp, but it sounds like Bill Arnold is having a great one. Does he make Stajan expendable by the deadline?

Raymond, IMO should have been bought out when we got the 2nd buyout window.

If the plan is to buy Raymond out, then now is not the time to do it. He's more useful in Stockton at an inflated salary.

Buyout Raymond in 2015, you're stuck with a 1M cap hit until 2019
Buyout Raymond in 2016, it's a 1M cap hit until 2017.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I haven't been able to make it to training camp, but it sounds like Bill Arnold is having a great one. Does he make Stajan expendable by the deadline?

If the plan is to buy Raymond out, then now is not the time to do it. He's more useful in Stockton at an inflated salary.

Buyout Raymond in 2015, you're stuck with a 1M cap hit until 2019
Buyout Raymond in 2016, it's a 1M cap hit until 2017.
i fully understand the logistics of it and it would be ending in 2020 or 2018.

but it's not as simple as demoting a guy and buying him out the next year because we don't know how a long time NHL player will react to being sent to the minors. I know I'd be pretty pissed if I was in that situation, as much as we'd like to think they will accept it and be a good influence on the kids there is risk in sending a veteran down and then being a poor influence. Now is that risk better or worse than losing a million in cap space for 2 years? But I think there are hopes Raymond will play himself into a top 9 role and force someone else out.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
I am to the point where I want Ortio to hit waivers just to see the epic overreactions and meltdowns on here when it happens.

This. Also, as much as I don't want to lose a decent young prospect, I think the reactions on this board if Ortio were claimed would be incredibly hilarious and would be enough entertainment to carry me over until the season opener

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
This. Also, as much as I don't want to lose a decent young prospect, I think the reactions on this board if Ortio were claimed would be incredibly hilarious and would be enough entertainment to carry me over until the season opener
:laugh:

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
If the Isles were to put Ho-Sang on the block do you think we should go for him ?

Nah. I highly doubt Treliving and co would even think about acquiring him and his baggage. He does not fit with our culture whatsoever.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
With Byron likely to start on IR it would put us into a situation where 2 of Shore, Jooris, Ferland, Bollig or Raymond have to be exposed to waivers.

Raymond is easily exposed, a dream scenario if he gets claimed.

I'm not a big fan of Bollig, but I think the Flames are.

I wouldn't want to lose the rest.

danmcd15

Jul 11, 2014
Losing Jooris to waivers would be the worst situation. That cannot happen. The other three I'd live with. Ortio id be upset. I really like him.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Losing Jooris to waivers would be the worst situation. That cannot happen. The other three I'd live with. Ortio id be upset. I really like him.

Don't really get what people see in shore. Too slow for the NHL at this point. He's been very vanilla in every game he's played with the big club.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Don't really get what people see in shore. Too slow for the NHL at this point. He's been very vanilla in every game he's played with the big club.
Shore isn't slow by any means, he's not speedster but he isn't slow. It's also been beaten to death but there is a massive difference between Florida Panthers shape and Calgary Flames shape and since he was learning our systems and trying to reach our fitness levels he never got much ice time. As someone who has seen him play several times in the AHL (mostly in San Antonio) as well I can assure you he is better than he's seemed thus far. I think if paired with a player with a good shot he will really impress as he is a much better playmaker than we have seen in Calgary and if he gets to play with someone with a decent shot he will put up decent numbers.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Shore isn't slow by any means, he's not speedster but he isn't slow. It's also been beaten to death but there is a massive difference between Florida Panthers shape and Calgary Flames shape and since he was learning our systems and trying to reach our fitness levels he never got much ice time. As someone who has seen him play several times in the AHL (mostly in San Antonio) as well I can assure you he is better than he's seemed thus far. I think if paired with a player with a good shot he will really impress as he is a much better playmaker than we have seen in Calgary and if he gets to play with someone with a decent shot he will put up decent numbers.

That is reassuring, up to this point I was with The Gnome on this one, hopefully he earns the chance to prove you right.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
That is reassuring, up to this point I was with The Gnome on this one, hopefully he earns the chance to prove you right.
Shore is much like Colborne in the sense that he is a big guy still growing into his body and learning how to be physical as well (one difference being Colborne had to learn that in the NHL, Shore started playing more physical before he was traded here), he will also likely be transitioning to the wing as well this year so some patience will be needed. But I think in 2-3 years he will be a really solid middle 6 forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad