sorry wall of text... the real study of chiarelli's last 5 years in boston

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
ton of fans will never understand this. right now they are all screaming how offended they are about the label on dougie Hamilton being a bad teammate. these fans have no freaking clue about how it works and never will because everytime someone tries to clue them in they scream stop speaking... stop saying this... I wont listen

youd love what aaron ward said on his hit on the montreal afternoon show yesterday

the question was… anyone you thought was a bad teammate?

ward says... the bruin had tenure... was a vet... so the team had to put up with his garbage. normally uniforms are hung crest out. this nitwit always hung his with his name out... so the guys intentionally flipped it back just to piss him off. ward said it got so bad with this guy and his idiot super stitious behavior on and off the ice... they went to the other team one night {players ex team} and told those guys... you can kill him tonight... we aren't going to lift a finger to help him

yeah... it went that far

ward said... one guy like this in the locker room can just kill moral and sink the entire team.

yeah... a player actually felt that way... and said it in those words for the record

its by far not the only time I heard players say this. I listen. I hear it.

if you got over your little one world view about these things... stopped imposing your sensibilities on it... and listened to what the players were saying... see the results... you might be able to catch on too

in the meantime I will do what small part I can in pointing out the 'unrelated' corolation between unique earth shattering things like this and the teams fall from grace

and others can say that the teams 5th-or 6th best forward getting hurt was enough to cripple the club lol

Yeah there is some pretty big exaggeration in this statement if Aaron Ward said it. Not saying it didn't happen, but the whole "sinking of a team" stuff is blown out of proportion.

One self-centered goof-ball and it can submarine an entire teams season? Give me a break. These are pros, not a bunch of thin-skinned weirdos. It's not even realistic to expect these guys to get along all the time, no different than any other workplace.

Then again, your the same guy who claims Hamilton wanted to leave because Bruins fans were going to be hard on him because he didn't hit people. It's probably time for you to give up on the whole player mentality stuff.

Reactions: McGarnagle

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Yeah there is some pretty big exaggeration in this statement if Aaron Ward said it. Not saying it didn't happen, but the whole "sinking of a team" stuff is blown out of proportion.

One self-centered goof-ball and it can submarine an entire teams season? Give me a break. These are pros, not a bunch of thin-skinned weirdos. It's not even realistic to expect these guys to get along all the time, no different than any other workplace.

Then again, your the same guy who claims Hamilton wanted to leave because Bruins fans were going to be hard on him because he didn't hit people. It's probably time for you to give up on the whole player mentality stuff.

obviously Im preaching to death ears with some of our fans here... but on the off chance there are others who can broaden their understanding of the game and become more understanding of the team... I feel its worth my time to bring it up now and again

I do feel bad for all the fans who keep getting shocked that this stuff matters.. and keep freaking out about how these trades are so horrible and make no sense at all and the people involved in them should be fired

unfortunately for some here... the stuff does matter... the trades are logical... and the people that make them don't get fired for these trades. Chiarelli wasn't fired for the seguin trade. no one was fired for the Hamilton trade. that's not why anyone gets fired

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I think most people in a democratic nation champion free speech and defend the right to criticise what you want. but wont you extend the same courtesy to those with more knowledge to speak up and set you straight?

I don't know the inner workings of say... the boy scouts of America... or say... ford auto plants... im still allowed my opinions on those entities. but if I go off on an emotional rant and someone that actually knows about these things tells me info I had no freaking idea about... whats my best course of action?

do I tell them to go fly a kite with their chicken crap ideas... or do I reflect upon my own ignorance and draw into question am I right on this side of the fence ive chosen for myself?

Hahaha. Holy shit man.

Reactions: Strafer and Pia8988

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
obviously Im preaching to death ears with some of our fans here... but on the off chance there are others who can broaden their understanding of the game and become more understanding of the team... I feel its worth my time to bring it up now and again

I do feel bad for all the fans who keep getting shocked that this stuff matters.. and keep freaking out about how these trades are so horrible and make no sense at all and the people involved in them should be fired

unfortunately for some here... the stuff does matter... the trades are logical... and the people that make them don't get fired for these trades. Chiarelli wasn't fired for the seguin trade. no one was fired for the Hamilton trade. that's not why anyone gets fired

It does matter, your right.

But nowhere near the degree that you and Aaron Ward says it does.

There have been plenty of championship teams, in all sports, at all levels, that have a few jack-asses.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Best Bruins GM ever?

You must be young?

I remember some very passionate debates with a few of the board origionals over my take on harry sinden in the day

yes I always had to agree there was a certain amount of penny pinching when It came to depth players. it turns out from what ive learnt... sinden wasn't under orders of Jacobs to pinch those pennies. sinden was the one that just didn't feel he wanted to pay second tier players

it probably did cost us a cup or two...

that said... sinden was pretty damn amazing. he established a professional sports record for most consecutive playoff appearances {people will say it was easy to make the playoffs in those days with less teams... I will say hes the only one that did it}

he established a professional sports record for most consecutive 500 seasons... where the team wins as much as it loses. a lot of teams back then made the playoffs with losing records... we never did... we were always winners

sinden pulled off brad park trade... the cam neely trade... he drafted bourque after swindling the pick away from LA for cast off goalie ron grahame.

he... had his personality quirks... letting a lot of talented second line guys go instead of paying them... but our payroll was always in the top 5-10. it wasn't really that we were cheap as far as paying our stars go. guys like bourque/oates/neely were very happy to loyally stay with the team for years and years because he treated them very well

I like Chiarelli... im learning to like don Sweeney... but harry sinden was the best gm I saw here when you look at the total picture of what he accomplished

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Harry Sinden had bobby orr? Any GM can win with bobby orr lol, however Orr would probably have more titles if he played under a different GM and owner.

Reactions: Strafer

FluffyMcAvoy

Oct 11, 2017
Boston, MA
Drafting was Chiarelli's downfall.

Had to overpay the bottom 6 because we had no ELC's to fill holes. Also loses leverage when trying to negotiate contracts when there is no competition to take someone like DK's spot.

And the Seguin trade? WOOF

Gifted a Krejci/Bergeron replacement and he gives it up for peanuts. As if no one in the Org. could have told him how that worked with JT19
I always thought his downfall was committing to bottom 6 too much. But that's a good point that it was due to his inability to draft young talent to fill that void.
I don't hate him for Seguin trade. He was a "pretty" boy that could not produce in playoffs. Who cares about his 80+ points in regular season when he disappears in playoffs? Just 1 goal from him in the finals could've had us another Stanley Cup in 2013. (mod)

Last edited by a moderator:

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
It does matter, your right.

But nowhere near the degree that you and Aaron Ward says it does.

There have been plenty of championship teams, in all sports, at all levels, that have a few jack-asses.

well... im not in the locker room of course. and as individuals everyone has their bias. some people might think something matters a lot... and they act accordingly. a second person in that exact same situation might think it matters less

I will leave it at this... I do believe it matters a lot less to people like you then it does to people like the ones who actually are making decesions based on this stuff

as for me and how much it matters to me? I don't make decesions. it might shock you im very liberal in my own dealings with people. if it wasn't effecting the team, I wouldn't give any care what a guy was doing in his own time.

ultimately I believe team unity is hugely important for success. in my limited experience in sports... the closer the teams were the better we did. even losing is easier to suffer through when you are doing it with buddies and guys that are playing their hardest to turn things around

a team where everyone is working together... has hope it might get better.

a team where someone is sabotaging the efforts... that just sinks everyone into a slightly deeper hole when the hole was already deep enough to begin with

the difference between winning and losing... in the nhl… isn't great. we see teams get on a roll like vegas or colordo and go from last place to 100 point seasons in a blink of an eye... we see teams like Edmonton start the season as cup favorites and crater

how important was the loss of matt Hendricks to the oiler locker room last year? the players say it was pretty damn important. how devastating was the fight in the locker room between darnell nurse and leon draisailt? how badly did it fracture the team?

I guess I wasn't there... I don't know... and the guys aren't talking a lot about it...

Calgary certainly had huge identity problems... huge leadership issues... that team had no guts this past year after being pretty spunky the year before. how much is laid at dougie Hamilton's feet?

I wasn't there. supposedly he was quite vocal about how his brother was handled and then trashed. I wasn't there. just going based on what the people in the know say

we might get angry when people in the know share what they know. I guess that's why they rarely come out in the spotlight to speak. shoot the messenger the righteous among us shout... ignorance is bliss...

so we get what we get... and we let ourselves get all upset cause it just doesn't make sense based on the info we accept

Kaoz

Apr 8, 2015
I was not upset with dealing Seguin (given what I had heard about his off ice shenanigans), but always thought the return should have been better.

I think our perception of the return is worse than it was because of the Loui concussions and getting only one good year before he left. Also because of the way Smith went out the door. If the B’s had the 17/18 Smith and the last year of Loui still on the team, it wouldn’t look nearly as bad.

That said, they still should have gotten more for a kid that was the 2nd pick in the draft and had played very well (except for the playoffs that year).

As far as Chia goes, you can break his tenure into two parts, Pre-Cup and Post Cup. Pre-Cup he was very good and put the pieces in place to win a championship. Post, he was not very good. Fell in love with his roster, drafted poorly, and made some questionable deals.

The issue with extrapolating data from the fantasy side of things is that it can go both ways. Peverley and Button went with Seguin in that deal, so we'd also have to consider all of the best possible outcomes for them if we were to do it with what was returned to make it fair. The easy answer is "well, that's a scouts job to know", but that same book was available on the players we received. Their scouts obviously knew more then ours, and raked Chia over the coals, even without considering the unpredictable health issues that forced Peverley to retire early.

At the end of the day, even looking at it then you had a 28 year old Eriksson coming off a subpar, (albeit lockout shortened) season, a defensive prospect who failed to mature the way two previous teams had hoped, and a forward prospect who could only thrive at the AHL level. The best part of that return was a mediocre second line guy, who in a good year can pot you just north of 20 goals.

They traded for all of that giving up a 21 year old former 2nd OA who was 1 year removed from leading a cup final team in points during the regular season (and who apparently had maturity issues... again, at 21).

I'd argue that our perception isn't at all skewed, that it was an absolutely horrendous failure of a move on all points. The big tell now is what we have left from that trade, and what Dallas has left. Boston has nothing, Dallas has a 40 goal, consistent 70+ point guy they can depend on to be part of their core. It's akin to justifying the Thornton trade with the FA signings of Savard and Chara.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
The issue with extrapolating data from the fantasy side of things is that it can go both ways. Peverley and Button went with Seguin in that deal, so we'd also have to consider all of the best possible outcomes for them if we were to do it with what was returned to make it fair. The easy answer is "well, that's a scouts job to know", but that same book was available on the players we received. Their scouts obviously knew more then ours, and raked Chia over the coals, even without considering the unpredictable health issues that forced Peverley to retire early.

At the end of the day, even looking at it then you had a 28 year old Eriksson coming off a subpar, (albeit lockout shortened) season, a defensive prospect who failed to mature the way two previous teams had hoped, and a forward prospect who could only thrive at the AHL level. The best part of that return was a mediocre second line guy, who in a good year can pot you just north of 20 goals.

They traded for all of that giving up a 21 year old former 2nd OA who was 1 year removed from leading a cup final team in points during the regular season (and who apparently had maturity issues... again, at 21).

I'd argue that our perception isn't at all skewed, that it was an absolutely horrendous failure of a move on all points. The big tell now is what we have left from that trade, and what Dallas has left. Boston has nothing, Dallas has a 40 goal, consistent 70+ point guy they can depend on to be part of their core. It's akin to justifying the Thornton trade with the FA signings of Savard and Chara.

is going to be interesting to see what dallas pays to keep seguin next year... or if he is the next Tavares on the run?

if we only judge an original trade based on how it turns out by happen chance and tumbling blocks down the road... is that really fair?

that Vancouver trade of neely/Pederson just becomes bloody epic when you trace the forensics of it down through the following 3 decades

but did anyone on d day... know that glen Wesley would be picked... or that he would get moved for 3 pics... or that it would turn into milan lucic through sergei samsonov… and then become martin jones... and so on and so on...

can we really give credit to those guys at the trade desk way back in the 1980s that the bruins would still be building a huge part of their team in 2018 on the left overs of that first trade?

its fun... to follow the steps... I like to do it... but it doesn't make the original trade any better or worst based on what either team does with the players in following years

boston wanted to get a cost controlled winger that could provide 2 way scoring and replace seguins/h0rtons production on a cup caliber team… they got that

boston wanted some ready to play youth with good upside potential... riley smith stepped right in and played decent that first year. later we learnt he has a pattern in his career... 1 good/1 bad/1good/1 bad/1 good. it seems he has problems getting content and slacking off when hes been around for a couple years on a new team. but does anyone here doubt this guy can be a 60+point guy based on his talent? he was a young guy with a ton of talent... and we hoped we could fix his attitude problems

morrow??? dmen don't always pan out... theres tons and tons of dmen that teams spend first round picks on that never work out. until a dman has 200 games under his belt... hes basically a mystery to most pro scout evaluators. but the one thing they all agree on... if you don't have a few dmen in the system then its unlikely any of them will ever turn out. you got to take a few swings at the fences when it comes to young dmen.

fraser??? occasionally once in a blue moon a guy like Charlie simmer or mike Knuble will have some offensive tools that don't translate in his orgional city... and you take a flyer on him. usually it turns out like sandy moger or mr fraser but you cant hit any home runs unless you swing hard at the lazy pitchs crossing the plate

I didn't like the seguin trade the day it was made... I was not loui erikssons fan. I was quite unhappy with riley smith too. I spoke out my concerns about both these players numerous times when they were here

but I don't know what other offers there was for seguin. that's just it. I don't know... we don't know... none of us know

is it ok to be unhappy with the return... sure... I say sure... I say yes... im unhappy... of course I say its ok to be unhappy. but we should be fair about it. we should understand Chiarelli didn't act in a vacuum. he wasn't a power mad hitler at the controls of the red button. we saw on behind the bs... it was a team discussion with a lot of voices in the mix.

and we don't know if it was the best offer. we don't. what we know is the team wanted seguin gone. it was a team decision. and it was made with information we at home aren't privy to other than the bits and pieces that get leaked {which even those... a lot of us refuse to listen to}

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
re: Seguin, lots of people behind that move and I look squarely at Jacobs who was probably frusterated with him over his playoff performance, possible off ice issues, upcoming contact. Maybe they didn't believe in Seguin and similar Thornton they were wrong. We made is worse by not trading Loui and trading Smith.

I don't think Seguin is in the league of Crosby's though that can change a franchise. Seguin and Benn have don't nothing to really show Dallas is a powerhouse team in the west.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Harry Sinden had bobby orr? Any GM can win with bobby orr lol, however Orr would probably have more titles if he played under a different GM and owner.

gretzky probably would have had more titles if his teams were a bit better too... heck even jimmy hayes would have had more titles if he had been able to play on Pittsburgh and Washington the last 3 seasons

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
Drafting was Chiarelli's downfall.

Had to overpay the bottom 6 because we had no ELC's to fill holes. Also loses leverage when trying to negotiate contracts when there is no competition to take someone like DK's spot.

And the Seguin trade? WOOF

Gifted a Krejci/Bergeron replacement and he gives it up for peanuts. As if no one in the Org. could have told him how that worked with JT19

Was basically going to type this so I won't again.

Overpaying bottom sixers is every GMs downfall. The Peverley/Kelly UFA contracts (among others) should have either been negotiated more or replaced by a ELC. Combine that with poor drafting and there ya go.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
re: Seguin, lots of people behind that move and I look squarely at Jacobs who was probably frusterated with him over his playoff performance, possible off ice issues, upcoming contact. Maybe they didn't believe in Seguin and similar Thornton they were wrong. We made is worse by not trading Loui and trading Smith.

I don't think Seguin is in the league of Crosby's though that can change a franchise. Seguin and Benn have don't nothing to really show Dallas is a powerhouse team in the west.

I wonder if any gm ever quit when his owner comes to him and says... trade joe garbage... I don't like him. I cant remember it happening. I know some gms have quit when they felt their owner was harming the team with horrible behavior.

I think most gms end up being yes men

lou lamerello is as notorious as they come for being his own man... being almost a god among gms… breaking every rule he wants... and yet his owner said give kovachuk a 17 year contract... get rid of parise to make it affordable... lou had to do it {he made sure to get word out it wasn't his idea... but he played the loyal soldier and followed orders of the mad king}

I wonder whose idea it was to give diepietro that contract in ny… or trade louongo to just make room? according to the sources I listen too... the owner and diepietro were pretty tight... friendly... went on fishing holidays together... and then that contract happens. was mad mike really the culprit?

so many suspicious things happen just behind the closed green carpet. reports are... patches in montreal gets traded to LA... all but a done deal... just waiting to get the extension done... then poof

and patches fires his agent... and then we find tons of reports in the news that his former agent and gm of montreal are... best buds. so close that the gm attends the agents personal meetings with young unsigned prospectives and speaks on behalf of the agent...

what went on there? are we thinking patches feels... he was being forced into LA... pressured to take a bad deal because of the friendship his agent had with the montreal gm? something happened... you don't fired a guy on a moments notice without something going on

but we will never know the full story on these things... we always have to keep in mind it might be different then how it looks. hockey players rarely air their garbage dirty laundry out in public

fans who don't think these behind the scenes issues matter though... they will always be left scratching their heads. if people like me are still unsure about these things with all the hard time I spend researching them… anyone with their head in the sand is doomed to a naïve and very wrong view on these complicated matters of importance

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
If I was in college and my professor told me to write a pro GM paper on Chiarelli in Boston it would be a piece of cake

If told to take the opposite I could definitely do it maybe a little more effort

As Dirty Harry said ‘a man’s got to know his limitations ’

I know what it is with Chiarelli- I learned on my own thru observation and it was confirmed

He’s a good guy he’s very bright but when it comes to the player part he is at his best to surround himself with multiple skilled hockey people - give them a voice and respect and encourage honesty.

It was fantastic what they had and he listened and partook but rarely pulled rank - he wanted good people he trusted to come to opinions and go with it

When this wasn’t in place early on in Boston and Edmonton he really f***ed up

Benning, Sweeney, Bradley, Ferguson, Gretzky and others I would be stunned if they let all those emotional and crazy early deals and signings in Edmonton happen

His first year in Boston he brings in Dave Lewis, signs Peter Schaefer, and in the Hamil draft trades a third to move up a couple of picks to select Tommy Cross with Subban right there

We learn later on Behind the B when the Bruins drafted Pastrnak a LOT about HOW they decided to select Pastrnak and on the draft floor as their pick approaches and Chiarelli becomes nervous and asks Sweeney if he they should move up and Don says no.

Chiarelli is what he is and his good fortune changed at the trade deadline when Iginla flipped.

Horton hurt his shoulder fighting A Pittsburgh Iginla and it cost the Bruins vs Chicago

The Seguin Trade was ordered and a deal with Dallas at the draft got submarined minutes before when the Canucks jumped to the pick before Dallas and took the player Boston was taking as part of Seguin deal.

Chiarelli also left an opening for Neely to get the power and be able to fire him

It’s long and involved but it took a lot of misfortune to end badly

Chiarelli probably deserved better

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Was basically going to type this so I won't again.

Overpaying bottom sixers is every GMs downfall. The Peverley/Kelly UFA contracts (among others) should have either been negotiated more or replaced by a ELC. Combine that with poor drafting and there ya go.

you mean replaced with elc… no amount of negotiating gets us a better deal unless the agents are completely incompetent

in that era... for 20 goal/40 point 3rd line centers getting PAID.... we have...

dave bolland
matt Stajan
brandon sutter
tyler bozek
artim anisimov
martin Hanzal
boyde Gordon
lori lehtenen
frans nelson

I might be missing a few... guys making 3 mill and more without being more than 3rd liners basically {bozek might have played a bigger role do to how bad his team sucked}

if either Kelly or peverly wasn't paid an equal/comparable sum they would have found it easily in this market

so our options were... pay or find equally/lesser paid guys that could still keep us competitive for another cup

{remember we won on depth... we weren't a superstar team... we did need our 3rd/4th lines to dominate their matchups}

the deals handed out were 3-4 year deals... and Chiarelli immediately started bringing in younger cheaper guys like soderberg/spooner to replace the vets. his choices were pretty good... both guys have very high profile high paid gigs on other teams now... and I guess we struggle 3 years after his firing to find our own 3rd line solution even now. backes…. wasn't a Chiarelli signing but came from the next guys... an older vet... signed for more money... with a nmc…

and who is the center for the 3rd line this year... can we blame Chiarelli for that? he hasn't been here for the past 3 years. we say Chiarelli should wave his magic wand and replace the 3rd line Kelly/peverly with elc guys... if its as easy as that why hasn't the guys who fired him able to do just what you say?

Heinen/donato/Bjork who may be on the 3rd line this year... all Chiarelli draft picks by the way. I guess he might have been planning to replace the vets with some elc guys after all...

FluffyMcAvoy

Oct 11, 2017
Boston, MA
I will take the devils advocate position again here... I like the seguin/kane comparison. it might seem to shoot a whole in my earlier argument.

Chicago stuck by their problem child and won... boston should have done the same

but heres where I see the difference... yes kane was kept... and yes he had some amazing performances in the playoffs... but no one for one single second ever called kane the leader of that team... not when it was winning

johnaton toews was mr hockey... and when toews had his moment of crisis... mr seabrook took him aside for the pep talk

mr hossa was around... class... elegance... a pros pro...

keith…

it wasn't kane in leadership role... just go out there and score they told him... we are deep enough with leaders and warriors we will do the heavy lifting you just look pretty...

when kane has his problems in buffalo with the cabbie... the team did have some serious problems with the player. they did from all reports... lay down the law with him

and to kane's credit he has kept his dirty laundry on the qt ever since.

but now... the wheels fall off toews/seabrook… hossa is gone... and kane is being thrust into the leadership/face of that franchise. now that team has a serious problem imho.

these guys get nmc… they become local celebrities... they grow roots like a tree. you better damn well hope the guy has what it takes to be your leader for 6-10 years at the tail end of his career because that's whats going to happen.

the only chance to move a guy like this... is at the start of the career. you wait... and your fan base will eat you alive once you move him

even the all powerful montreal Canadians are dealing with a full on fan revolt over their handling of pk subban.

you either got to make sure your superstar has all the intangibles you want in a leader as he ages... or you should move him before he becomes larger than the team.
Yes, Chicago stuck with the problem boy. But I guarantee you that if Seguin produced a ppg in playoffs, he would have never gotten traded. They didn't give up on him fast, he had 3 stabs at playoffs. For 3 years in a row he would disappear in playoffs. That's pattern right there.
In 2013 when we went to the finals, the managed only 1 goal in 22 games. I mean... Campbell scored 3 and Paille scored 4. And in 2010 Kane scored 28 points in 22 games and Chicago won the Cup. They were both 21 in these playoff runs respectively. Sorry, there is no comparison for me...

Reactions: KrejciMVP

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
The 2008-2009 Bruins I think was the best regular season team Chia put together. Losing to Carolina was a huge dissapointment after sweeping MTL. That team could have gone all the way

2013-14 was loaded, too. And they had the winning experience the 08-09 squad was missing.

Part of their problem that year was not replacing Seidenberg after he went down

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
2013-14 was loaded, too. And they had the winning experience the 08-09 squad was missing.

Part of their problem that year was not replacing Seidenberg after he went down

I go back to those bruin teams with bourque/neely/oates/moog in the late 1980s and crossing over into the early 1990s... man could I ever have suggested a 100 and 99 things that team could have done to win multiple cups

and that was in the days before the cap too... it still kills me that bourque/neely weren't winning cup here in a bruin uniform for us

but alas every team... even the cup winner... cant do everything perfect. every team will miss out on something their fan base would have loved to see happen

I agree with you... the bruins defense went south on the team before its forward group or goaltending did. it became the first and biggest chink in the armour from my judgement also

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
so I see in another thread how Chiarelli sucked... and we should have had 3 cup wins with that team he got lucky and inherited. I decided to look at the rosters for the 5 years between 2011-2015 when he got fired after his 1 and only miss of the playoffs. I also am throwing light on the kids that got developed under his watch... the draft picks that were strategically picked to fill holes... asking if anyone would have kept a couple of the guys that were moved... and im wondering who was available that we didn't get?

heres the wall of text...

lets start with the 2011 cup winning team and see were we go...
hornton/krejci/lucic
recchi/bergeron/marchand
seguin/kelly/peverly
thornton/campbell/paille
caron
seidenberg/chara
boychuk/ferece
mcquaid/karberle
bartowski/hnidy
thomas
rask

pretty good team yes? personally I wanted to see it kept together... this was a young team with a ton of potential even after the devastating loss of marc Savard. I thought we could be looking at a dynasty but what happened next?

does anyone remember on january 23 2o12 the bruins visited the white house... and tim thomas decided his politics came ahead of the team unity.

the bruins record on that day was 26-12-2 cruising along as the beast in the east. they limped 23-17-2 the rest of the season and were roadkill for a strong washington capitals team with a very hot goalie come playoffs.

what did chiarelli do to help/hurt that team? how was it his fault Thomas didn't go to the white house and then created the s storm that followed? how was it Chiarelli's fault that holtby was incredible against us? lets see what the man actually did to keep that great cup team together for another chance...

horton/krecji/lucic remain intact
seguin/bergeron/marchand... we lose recchi to retirement
peverly/kelly/pouliot... was pouliot a horrible gamble?
thornton/campbell/paille
rolston
seidenberg/chara
boychuk/ference
mcquaid/krug
bartowski/corvo
rask
Thomas

honestly other than dealing with thomas {who had the ntc} what did chiarelli do so wrong? he kept the cup team together. we all would have freaked if he did anything different. but it was a very very very UNIQUE situation with thomas that turned the season upside down.

moving on to 2013 and we finally get thomas out of our hair as he takes the year off {screwing us the chance to deal him for assets in the process and sticking us with a massive 35+ cap penalty by the way}

we do go to the cup finals where bergeron gets the punctured lung... chara is playing with the busted hand... and a pretty damn good chicago team {yeah those guys that won 3 cups and were pretty damn good} manages to beat us in a very close series.

what did chiarelli do to help/hurt that team?

horton/krecji/lucic... yep still here
seguin/bergeron/marchand... yep still here
jagr/peverly/kelly... pretty damn impressive rental
thornton/campbell/paille... considered best 4th line in league
soderberg
seidenberg/chara
boychuk/ference
mcquaid/krug
hamilton/redden
rask
khubodin

so... was it chiarellis fault thomas flaked out and left the team? chiarelli brings in 2 impressive kids soderberg/hamilton... trades for a hof god in jagr... and picks up a pretty good backup in khubodin. with a bit better health to our 2 best players are you saying we didnt have a chance to beat chicago {and lets remember chicago was pretty damn good}
so now... the team is starting to get expensive

2013-14... the controversial tyler seguin trade.. does anyone think chiarelli does that without upper management in his ear? we all watched the behind the b's... we all have heard the spin doctoring afterwards. seguin was going to be moved no matter who the gm was. did we get enough for him? remember edmonton got 1 second pair dman for taylor hall. ryan johanson only brought back a dman with potentil {although looks very good now} and matt duchense was a cancer in the colorado locker room as he couldnt be traded for a year and 1/2 before finally being moved for kids/prospects that may or may not turn out.

Boston had just gone to 2 cup finals in 3 years... they needed immediate impact players and prospects that could possibly jump up and contribute right away... and they needed cap relief.
iginla was signed to replace the immediate production lost by seguin... 2 mill base hit {rest in bonus} Eriksson was traded for to upgrade over Jagr/Recchi as the cagey vet... and continuing the process of bringing up kids spooner/kevan miller were introduced... as well as finding a quality backup in chad johnson... not so bad given the huge cap crunch

is anyone suggesting we should have kept nathan horton? rumor was he was leaving to columbus for family reasons no matter what we offered... and it sure appears like he was damaged goods. chiarelli bit the bullet and made that call

iginla/krecji/lucic {good replacement for the top line}
smith/bergeron/marchand {say what you want about smith ending in boston... obviously the kid has talent}
eriksson/soderberg/kelly {the narrative is chiarelli kept overpriced 3rd liners around... but peverly is gone now}
thornton/campbell/paille
spooner
seidenberg/chara
Boychuk/krug {ferrence is gone... another high priced reserve}
hamilton/mcquaid
miller/meszaros
rask
Johnson

yes we lost in round II... in game 7... against the team we always jynx against... self destruct against... does chiarelli play the games? did anyone think that we would lose against montreal??? lets remember we were the presidents cup trophy. chiarelli build one hell of a team on paper. but the players need to play. they fell short. my strong belief is if we get past montreal we are going to the finals for the 3rd time in 4 years. chiarelli built a team that was a favorite to go...

this is a 4 year run without any mistakes other than the possible seguin trade... if you think there was better offers you can criticize that. otherwise good luck finding things to fault him
its not like we werent spending to the max... its not like we had room to bring in a crap load of other expensive talent

then we get to 2014-15 the last realistic year you can keep a cup team together before it needs massive rebuilding do to cap. and the year we do miss the playoffs and Chiarelli gets fired

some huge cap problems were developing due to the 4 great years we just had... iginla.. wanted a 3 year deal. does anyone think chiarelli should give him that? chiarelli lets the scouting team draft pastrnak knowing we were going to need to replace the top rw. johnny boychuk is moved due to cap reasons... the igninla penalty puts us into very tight cap restrictions. does anyone want boychuk here at 6 mill per year? the picks we get for boychuk are basically wasted on brent connolly... it didnt work but it wasnt the worlds worst ever gamble. he was a big winger/center drafted very high who had gone through injuries. sometimes those guys turn into the next cam neely/john leclair. not in this case

so what did our team look like?

eriksson/krecji/lucic
smith/bergeron/marchand
pastrnak/spooner/soderberg
thornton/campbell/paille
kelly/connolly
hamilton/chara
seidenberg/krug
mcquaid/miller
morrow
rask
Svedberg

honestly... its a pretty damn good job by chiarelli... hes now added pastrnak {we know how that turns out} hes added smith/spooner/soderberg {3 guys very valued by other teams} hes kept bergeron/marchand on 2 of the best contracts in hockey {the core guys from this group} hes making moves to replace thornton/campbell/paille with some of his draft picks/trades/free agent signings... he is gambling on hamilton to work out but so were we all. it isnt his fault hamilton wanted to play on an easier team. seidenbergs injury... was that something we can blame chiarelli? we might have been able to keep boychuk if we let seidenberg go... is that possible? eriksson was called the most underrated player in the nhl when we traded for him... then he scored 30 goals here. alot of fans were very irate when we didnt give him a 6 mill deal. i was cruxified when i said lucic had to be dealt. many many fans here insisted we should sign him.

honestly how bad a job did chiarelli do for these 5 seasons and how much can he be blamed for not getting us more than 1 cup?

is this really grounds to get fired???

really... let me know... id like to see concrete examples what he did so horrible???

meanwhile he gets criticized for not being able to draft... what was he picking for drafts?

2011 dougie hamilton... seems everyone here loves that pick
alexander khoklachev... still lots of fans of this pick

2012 malcolm subban... is looking ok now
matt grzelck... obviously a player
matt benning... looks established as an nhl talent

peter cehlarik... lots of us insist this guy should play
ryan fizgerald... is he going to become a fixture on 4th line?

pastrnak/donato/heinen/bjork... do i need to say more?

2015 opps chiarelli was fired despite this very good drafting record and keeping that championship team together... not getting suckered into long term contracts that needed to get bought out {other than seidenberg due to injuries} and actually keeping a core of the team together that to this day is still together. lots of the youngens chiarelli brought along are still very important players.

anyhow... thats my look at the last 5 years of chiarelli's run... his 2 trips to the cup finals... his 1 trip to the second round... and another 7 game loss in the tim Thomas year... and then his 1 and only miss of the playoffs.

so as I said at the beginning... my challenge now goes to the haters and the complainers. if you feel there was specific mistakes made then go ahead and defend your argument

most of us will give you the seguin trade... again I say that the behind the b's footage shows it was an organizational decision. and some will definitely argue keeping Seidenberg over boychuk didn't work out {but I will argue injuries can happen to anyone... and boychuk today is signed to a horrific contract}

some are going to argue chris Kelly was overpaid... but I will come up with an example 10 deep of third line centers that never had more than 20 goals/40 points who were paid 3 mill on long term deals. sorry, but his contract was reasonable and is what it cost to keep him.

ive laid out the facts. and I am interested to see if anyone can find facts that I missed to defend their take
You lost credibility when you justified the Seguin trade by saying “but Edmonton only got a second pair Dman for Taylor Hall”. You realize that the same idiot made both trades right? The fact that he keeps doing it doesn’t make it ok.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
You lost credibility when you justified the Seguin trade by saying “but Edmonton only got a second pair Dman for Taylor Hall”. You realize that the same idiot made both trades right? The fact that he keeps doing it doesn’t make it ok.

the fact that you would think someone would intentionally take a bad offer... without any input at all from the people around him... tells me what I need to know about your view of the world

good luck with that

either you are right and this guy is a sick sadist out to abuse his power by crippling his teams intentionally just to spit in the face of the fans and people who pay his checks...

or

maybe hes taking the best offer available after consulting some very well respected experts and insiders in his inner circle and dealing a 6 million dollar asset that belongs to his employer...

if your pov has any basis at all in reality... wow... it really is a screwy world we are living in... wow

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad