Status
Not open for further replies.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
Bask in the glory that is Persona 5.

How's Persona 5 if someone that's traditionally wishy-washy on JRPGs?

(I loved Nier Automata's art and music much more than the actual game/story, and I have Xenoblade Chronicles X sitting on my shelf, even though I didn't care much for the 1st, but it was on clearance, so...).

Even FF gets me rolling my eyes at times, but I do like DQ 8 and Zelda series for the most part.

I just find Japanese acting so hammy at times.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Nier and Xenoblade I wouldn't even consider jrpgs so you're probably not going to like persona

Those games have a much more Western style than persona

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Would have done PSN but can't pass up the Amazon Prime 20% off a new game so ended up getting regular edition. Happy to hear I can just get the rest of the fighters as DLC was a bit concerned about that.
PSN has no tax still.. so it wasnt bad.

Plus I can play in 3 hours!!!

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Nier and Xenoblade I wouldn't even consider jrpgs so you're probably not going to like persona

Those games have a much more Western style than persona

On the other hand, DQ8 is about as traditional JRPG as it gets.

P5's storytelling is definitely more mature than say the average Tales game and is largely universal theme wise, though the plot certainly has some...uh...Japanese moments.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
How's Persona 5 if someone that's traditionally wishy-washy on JRPGs?

(I loved Nier Automata's art and music much more than the actual game/story, and I have Xenoblade Chronicles X sitting on my shelf, even though I didn't care much for the 1st, but it was on clearance, so...).

Even FF gets me rolling my eyes at times, but I do like DQ 8 and Zelda series for the most part.

I just find Japanese acting so hammy at times.

Nier isn't a JRPG and XCX is a hyrbrid that rests closer to western RPGs than traditional JRPG ones, so...

All I can say is give it a try, maybe rent it first. DQ8 is an all-time great JRPG and I consider P5 to be vastly superior in just about every way, but it is most definitely very Japanese. Both the English & Japanese voices are available (Japanese via free DLC) and I wouldn't consider the English voices to be hammy 99% of the time, but there's some definite anime-ass aspects of the game. Mind you I hate anime, so that's not a prerequisite for liking JRPGs like this.

It's not going to be for everyone, but it's a game so good that it deserves a look. Generally I hate action RPGs and I'm going to move on to Nier Automata once I finish platinuming P5 just because of the nier universal acclaim it's getting.

*goes to corner for making a pun*

Last edited:

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Has anyone had experience taking their system to get repaired? (Not by shipping the system to Sony) Any estimate on how much they charge?

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
is there anything a PC player can do with PS Wallet credit? I accidentally forgot to cancel my PS Now trial and they will only refund it to my PS Wallet. cant I gift something to one of you at least? or is it just gonna sit there lol

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
I could be wrong but unfortunately I don't think you can do either, money is doomed to just sit there. Until some day you decide to buy a PS4 it should still be there ha

Or I guess just play PS Now again. Other than that I don't think there's much you can do with it. You'd think customer support would be more willing to give you a refund in a tangible way.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
The last great Star Ocean game for sure. Maybe the only one, I wouldn't know. I never got around to the earlier ones.

SO1 wasn't actually released in NA until they created the PSP port in 2008. I got around to playing it a few years ago and it was quite enjoyable. Nothing ground breaking but about what you would for a brand new game in the 90's.

SO2 is where it really took off. SO2 is phenomenal. IMO one of the best RPG's ever as it allowed you to chose to play as the male or female main character. Regardless of whether you picked Rena or Claude, both were in the game and playable. It simply came down to which story line you went more in depth on and certain characters/equipment were only available on certain story lines.

SO3 is different. Story is much more in-depth and you went from a 4 member battle party to 3. It also introduced the concept of MP kills which some loved and some hated. With 4 difficulty modes and 300 battle trophies and countless post game dungeons, you could easily spend 500 hours on the game.

I couldn't get into SO4. I hate the boss battle concept of weak points where you essentially are kiting for 99% of the battle except for the 5 seconds the boss exposes its weak point. I may give it another shot this summer once I am done studying for the SPHR exam.

SO5 was a hot mess. Game had potential but the story was lacking and there was no depth. Big, beautiful cities that you couldn't do anything in. The 7 member battle system was just insane. Way too chaotic.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
SO4 was good, but not great. Decent plot and great battle system hampered by b-movie dialogue and voice acting...and that's being generous. I honestly don't even really remember the issue you mention, and I played through most of the game twice. The end dungeon was ridiculous with every random encounter being a boss fight basically though.

SO5 was just entirely forgettable. Lost all the epic ness of the earlier games in the series and just felt way too localized and insignificant.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Picked up 7 Days to Die for PS4. Fun game, Anyone else?

How is it so far? Heard the port from PC to PS4 was horrible.... glitches, iffy graphics, missing elements, unstable multiplayer etc. coming up on a year from release though so maybe they fixed a lot of the issues

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
How is it so far? Heard the port from PC to PS4 was horrible.... glitches, iffy graphics, missing elements, unstable multiplayer etc. coming up on a year from release though so maybe they fixed a lot of the issues

I got it for free as a coworker didn't like the style of game it was, but seeing that my PC crapped out and I'm rebuilding after 8 years the PS4 one seems to have been propped up a little more... The biggest problem I have with it is glitchy zombie physics and such. You can club them to death and what not, but sometimes it'll show them still alive and animated until you stop and then club them again.

As far as I know some glitches were fixed but I found one as I was digging out trenches for my base. Sometimes parts of the dirt/rocks were broken but little tiny slivers of them would just float and be tangible so I had to go around them when climbing/jumping up. Graphics seemed fine, actually really good on my TV. I just wish I could change the field of view to zoom out a little more. I have not ran into multiplayer problems like chunk crashing and such, at least yet. I really like the game but would prefer it on PC, but some people I know switched from XB1 to PS4 and they got this game too so I'll probably be playing it for the forseeable future on PS4.

I also wish for more customization on PS4 but given it's more limited than PC gaming they had to make cuts in some places. The game is very fun with a mic and at least 1 or 2 more buddies for sure.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
100 hours later and I have finished my first play through in Persona 5.
Absolutely fantastic from beginning to end, just as I was hoping and expecting it would be.

Will be taking a break from the game before I do another completion though.
Want to knock out either Mass Effect Andromeda or probably Witcher 3 next.

Edit: Never mind, I want to keep playing.

Last edited:

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
I know, right? :laugh:

I still can't bring myself to play anything else.

Yeah it's hard right now for me as well.
After I do my second play through I'll probably be able to switch to something else though. I really want to knock out some of the games on my log.

Also, while it has apparently already been kind of out in the open for a few months(?) it would seem that we are getting another Dragon Age game.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
We now know who will be playing Nathan Drake in the Uncharted movie.

Tom Holland
(aka the newest Spider Man)

I was a little skeptical at first but after a little reading the movie is going to be a prequel to the Uncharted games it looks like.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
SO4 was good, but not great. Decent plot and great battle system hampered by b-movie dialogue and voice acting...and that's being generous. I honestly don't even really remember the issue you mention, and I played through most of the game twice. The end dungeon was ridiculous with every random encounter being a boss fight basically though.

SO5 was just entirely forgettable. Lost all the epic ness of the earlier games in the series and just felt way too localized and insignificant.

Excited. SO3 is released tomorrow! Will be nice to have one of my favorite games of all time on the PS4!!

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
We now know who will be playing Nathan Drake in the Uncharted movie.

Tom Holland
(aka the newest Spider Man)

I was a little skeptical at first but after a little reading the movie is going to be a prequel to the Uncharted games it looks like.

About as bad of a choice as it gets

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I actually really like the idea of it being based off the prequel sequence of the video games.

It's a pretty interesting idea rather than just making it a Indiana Jones rip-off which is coming out soon anyways

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille