Value of: Something happening with Jake Allen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
If we aren’t retaining on the contract, I’d take a mid round pick for Allen. Anything more would be a plus in my opinion.
That's what teams offering for netminding right now. Hopefully price goes up by deadline. But if not the 3 goalie system worked out well this year. Out of 3 NHL caliber goalies strong chance one plays over his head each year.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Colorado maybe good fit for Allen. We give them their 2nd back get their first?

Nope.

Just to emphasize how daft this is, go look up what the Avs traded for Georgiev, Grubauer, and Varlamov.

You're also talking about a team that has never traded its 1st at the TDL under the current GM tandem.

And you actually think this team will trade a 1st for a backup? Cool that you put some thought into it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bluenotes27

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
If we aren’t retaining on the contract, I’d take a mid round pick for Allen. Anything more would be a plus in my opinion.
My understanding is that retention is the big issue: if teams want retention for a season and a half, that comes with a price tag. The price tag for Allen per se shouldn't be an issue, but if a team wants 50% retention, that's real cap room and that ain't free.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
My understanding is that retention is the big issue: if teams want retention for a season and a half, that comes with a price tag. The price tag for Allen per se shouldn't be an issue, but if a team wants 50% retention, that's real cap room and that ain't free.

Nope. He's 3.85. Based on his role and ability he's maybe worth 2.0 (maybe less). Paying for retention is asking the other team to pay for someone else's mistake regarding the contract.

Montreal received a 1st because Monahan was over 6 and not worth close to that. You should be paying teams a 5th to take him if no retention.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Guy Larose

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
I hope you’re proud to recite playoff stats. Well done. Now prior to that, one of the single biggest in season “comebacks”happened with that tandem. Bottom line is, I don’t think there’s too many available goalies that have a cup on their resume
This is honestly the stupidest f***ing argument anyone has ever made on this site.

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
I think we're all going to be disappointed with the Jake Allen return.
I can't see anyone paying more than a 4th (if we're lucky) for his contract.
I wouldn't want him unless my starter sustained a major injury and I was desperate. Whoever takes him is stuck with that contract next year.
My guess he's worth a late 3rd with 50% retention and a 5th without retention.
Might be more moveable next season when his contract is expiring but the Habs probably don't want to do the three G thing again
Habs needs to hope for a major injury and a desperate team if they want to get more

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
I think we're all going to be disappointed with the Jake Allen return.
I can't see anyone paying more than a 4th (if we're lucky) for his contract.
I wouldn't want him unless my starter sustained a major injury and I was desperate. Whoever takes him is stuck with that contract next year.
My guess he's worth a late 3rd with 50% retention and a 5th without retention.
Might be more moveable next season when his contract is expiring but the Habs probably don't want to do the three G thing again
Habs needs to hope for a major injury and a desperate team if they want to get more

disappointment come from expectation not being met. At this point, I think that the expectation is that he has no value. As such, any return is a win. That said, as days passes, changes of him being traded are lowering, better option are making their way into the G market and his play is dipping significantly.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

Not all retention is created equally.

When you are retaining because the other team doesn't really have much cap space, you get paid for doing it because you are enormously benefiting the acquiring team by making the player fit into the salary structure.

Then there is retention because the player isn't worth their contract, and therefore you retain so the player has a contract that is palatable and makes them a moveable asset.

In the case of Allen, I think it's more column B than column A, and therefore the Canadiens wouldn't get "paid" to retain on Allen, they would be doing it so he would become tradeable.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I hope you’re proud to recite playoff stats. Well done. Now prior to that, one of the single biggest in season “comebacks”happened with that tandem. Bottom line is, I don’t think there’s too many available goalies that have a cup on their resume
You do realize that he was the starter when they were losing, lost his job to Binnington, and then the Blues started winning...

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Not all retention is created equally.

When you are retaining because the other team doesn't really have much cap space, you get paid for doing it because you are enormously benefiting the acquiring team by making the player fit into the salary structure.

Then there is retention because the player isn't worth their contract, and therefore you retain so the player has a contract that is palatable and makes them a moveable asset.

In the case of Allen, I think it's more column B than column A, and therefore the Canadiens wouldn't get "paid" to retain on Allen, they would be doing it so he would become tradeable.
I'd keep him before retaining. Put him in the crowd and let him site it out.
If we can get a 6th rd pick without retention then we dump him or trade him for another player with the same term and roughly the same price..

Last edited:

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I expect he gets moved at the draft to a team needing depth at the position without committing to a longer contract, in return for some mediocre contract at another position.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Nope. He's 3.85. Based on his role and ability he's maybe worth 2.0 (maybe less). Paying for retention is asking the other team to pay for someone else's mistake regarding the contract.

Montreal received a 1st because Monahan was over 6 and not worth close to that. You should be paying teams a 5th to take him if no retention.
Another ridiculous post. Habs got a 1st for Monahan because he was injury prone. Habs don't need to move Allen. A team pays for retention or there won't be a deal. A return of a cap dump would make the price cheaper

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Another ridiculous post. Habs got a 1st for Monahan because he was injury prone. Habs don't need to move Allen. A team pays for retention or there won't be a deal. A return of a cap dump would make the price cheaper
Just block bad faith posters. The experience on here becomes so much better.

Reactions: Walksss and McSuper

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Allen has such a bad contract I can't see another team touching him. Time to trade him was a year ago when he had cheap expiring contract and Habs could retain on it.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Not really. He has an .892 save percentage for last two seasons. As a Devils fan, I rather stick with Nico Daws than trade for Jake Allen.
True his save percentage is low but he's playing behind an awful team, put him on any other team outside of Chicago, SJ and Anaheim and he's over .900 guaranteed.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Markstom not being traded, Fleury not being traded. Options on Allen increasing.

Allen doesn't suddenly become desirable because better netminders are not available.

I don't see any of the teams that need to upgrade their goaltending that have a worse goalie than Allen right now ... so why would they trade for Allen?

True his save percentage is low but he's playing behind an awful team, put him on any other team outside of Chicago, SJ and Anaheim and he's over .900 guaranteed.

That doesn't explain why Cayden Primeau and Sam Montembeault both have save percentages over .900 behind that exact same defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad