Value of: Something happening with Jake Allen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Allen doesn't suddenly become desirable because better netminders are not available.

I don't see any of the teams that need to upgrade their goaltending that have a worse goalie than Allen right now ... so why would they trade for Allen?

That doesn't explain why Cayden Primeau and Sam Montembeault both have save percentages over .900 behind that exact same defense.
It does and it's simple, Montembeault have been MTL best player so far this year along with Suzuki and he's barely at .900. He's among the best goaltenders in the NHL in advanced stats.

Primeau was under .900 before his last game against Anaheim last week, another average game and he will be back under .900.

Allen haven't been good, that's true, but you can't expect good performance by your netminders when the team is bleeding scoring chances against.

The 2nd year of his contract is going to keep him from getting trade I believe.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
It does and it's simple, Montembeault have been MTL best player so far this year along with Suzuki and he's barely at .900. He's among the best goaltenders in the NHL in advanced stats.

Primeau was under .900 before his last game against Anaheim last week, another average game and he will be back under .900.

Allen haven't been good, that's true, but you can't expect good performance by your netminders when the team is bleeding scoring chances against.

I've seen plenty of *good* goaltenders deliver great performances despite the team bleeding scoring chances. Jose Theodore won a Hart Trophy in that scenario.

If you've watched Jake Allen this season, and your take away was the his issue was poor defense in front of him, then I guess we've seen wildly different things from him.

He's been bad this year and easily outplayed by both of the other goaltenders and I still don't see the logic in you pointing to the defense as a reason why his save percentage is low despite his two battery mates not having the same issue.

Surely you can see that's illogical.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
I've seen plenty of *good* goaltenders deliver great performances despite the team bleeding scoring chances. Jose Theodore won a Hart Trophy in that scenario.

If you've watched Jake Allen this season, and your take away was the his issue was poor defense in front of him, then I guess we've seen wildly different things from him.

He's been bad this year and easily outplayed by both of the other goaltenders and I still don't see the logic in you pointing to the defense as a reason why his save percentage is low despite his two battery mates not having the same issue.

Surely you can see that's illogical.
Did I say that Allen was as good as Montembeault or Primeau ?

The fact that Allen would have a better save pct behind a good team would also be applied to the other 2.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes

The 2nd year of his contract is going to keep him from getting trade I believe.

Okay but Allen was also bad when he was behind one of the best defenses in the league and brought a Stanley Cup winning roster to last place.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Okay but Allen was also bad when he was behind one of the best defenses in the league and brought a Stanley Cup winning roster to last place.
That's true he's a bad starting goaltenders but he's fine as a backup. His save percentage was over .911 in his career before this season.

Anyway let's see if KH work his magic before the end of next week.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Did I say that Allen was as good as Montembeault or Primeau ?

The fact that Allen would have a better save pct behind a good team would also be applied to the other 2.

No, you said this: "But you can't expect good performance by your netminders when the team is bleeding scoring chances against."

And it's nonsense.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
No, you said this: "But you can't expect good performance by your netminders when the team is bleeding scoring chances against."

And it's nonsense.
what he should have said is you can't expect good stats in that case. He may play very well and still give up a lot of goals.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
If he didn’t have a year left on his contract, Habs might get 4/5 round pick. Someone would pick him up as insurance if habs ate some salary.

With one year left, he isn’t going anywhere. Really not an upgrade.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Allen for Campbell, '24 and '25 first round picks?
No. What good would that do the Oilers? They'd have no assets to acquire players with that saved cap space.
The Leafs dumped Mrazek who was even worse than Campbell for dropping 12 spots in the draft. There's always a GM willing to take a chance

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
No. What good would that do the Oilers? They'd have no assets to acquire players with that saved cap space.
The Leafs dumped Mrazek who was even worse than Campbell for dropping 12 spots in the draft. There's always a GM willing to take a chance
Campbell and is contract are a million times worse than Mrazek. Oilers have no choice but to buy him out.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Campbell and is contract are a million times worse than Mrazek. Oilers have no choice but to buy him out.
🙄 You exxagerate like my wife.

An .873Sv% vs .888Sv% are both horrible.
A team like SJ will need a starter and get to the floor this summer. Good place for Campbell as there will be zero pressure on him to win a cup for the duration of his contract

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
🙄 You exxagerate like my wife.

An .873Sv% vs .888Sv% are both horrible.
A team like SJ will need a starter and get to the floor this summer. Good place for Campbell as there will be zero pressure on him to win a cup for the duration of his contract
SJ will want 3 x 1st round picks to take on the filth of Campbell. Campbell’s caphit is far worse than Meazek.

You will buy him out this summer.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Colorado maybe good fit for Allen. We give them their 2nd back get their first?
Avs don’t need this bad contract.

Their backup goalie is cheap, 22 years old, and coming off back to back shutouts. Played an elite game he lost the game before that.

Avs need a 2C far more than a backup G.

• Haha
Reactions: Miller Time
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad