Value of: Something happening with Jake Allen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Habs are hurting Allen's value by playing him so little. How is he supposed to get in a rhythm and consisentency if he plays twice every 10 games. Since November he has 1 win in 10 games started and .885 save percentage.
One of the main reasons they’re not playing him. He’s not in their plans, where you can obviously argue the other two are. If he’s traded, it will be on reputation more than his current play. Either way, they’re not getting much.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Habs are hurting Allen's value by playing him so little. How is he supposed to get in a rhythm and consisentency if he plays twice every 10 games. Since November he has 1 win in 10 games started and .885 save percentage.
Everybody knows Allen. He's 34 years old, played more than 400 NHL games over last 13 seasons. No need to showcase him.

Reactions: Pat Riot

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Didn't Vancouver just take a third banana goalie off of Montreals roster to start the year? Where do you guys keep finding back up goalies?!?!
Pittsburgh needed to dump DeSmith on Montreal in the 3 way trade with San Jose to make things work. He was never part of Montreal's plan

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
Jake Allen, just for the record, played 24 minutes of the Blues cup run, faced four shots, and put up a .750. He was a glorified water boy.

As you were.
I hope you’re proud to recite playoff stats. Well done. Now prior to that, one of the single biggest in season “comebacks”happened with that tandem. Bottom line is, I don’t think there’s too many available goalies that have a cup on their resume

• Haha
Reactions: TS Quint

Gaud

May 11, 2017
im thinking Allen goes with Savard to a team aspiring to make the playoffs. Hopefully Mtl adds or takes on a contract in order to get a good asset in return.

Reactions: MTL Dirty Birdy

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Allen is Option C.
That is true. But goalies are also voodoo.

You can have Allen for a 3rd or 2nd or pay a king's ransom for Markstrom or Gibson, but there's no guarantee who will be best or run hot on a small sample size.

Might be better of paying more for a dman and run the hot goalie (Allen and X).

Reactions: MTL Dirty Birdy

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I hope you’re proud to recite playoff stats. Well done. Now prior to that, one of the single biggest in season “comebacks”happened with that tandem. Bottom line is, I don’t think there’s too many available goalies that have a cup on their resume
… “that tandem” wildly underrates Binnington coming up and single-handedly saving their season. You’re trying to spin a narrative and nobody is buying it.

Reactions: McSuper

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
Blues management said he was big part of coaching Billington that playoff. What most mean, not sure that was what other poster was getting at or not though.
Exactly mate. Binnington was a newbie. Sheltered starts etc during the season. Allen has value and I stand by the fact that he fits well in a split workload system. Montreal is getting heavy on him I think with this three goalie rotation where he plays maybe once a week

… “that tandem” wildly underrates Binnington coming up and single-handedly saving their season. You’re trying to spin a narrative and nobody is buying it.
You’re not buying it. Yhanks

• Haha
Reactions: Bluenotes27

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Reactions: Bluenotes27

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Here's the data if anyone wants to use it to support their position:

I'm not sure it was true than, since Binnington was in net almost non-stop from the time he got called up that year. Allen got most of his start while Binnington was in the AHL.

However, I think the issue with Allen always as been in between his ears. He's a good goalie technically and has a good frame. His time in Montreal and maturity that come with age have made him progress from a mental toughness standpoint in my opinion.

He's not a bad add for a cheap price, specially for a team like Carolina or Toronto dealing with ton of injuries and having green goalies in net. I'd let him go for a 3rd round pick, but seems like Hughes is hungrier than I am which is probably why he's still with the team right now.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Straight up for a shit expiring contract would be okay with me as long as there’s no retention
Well that's the kicker there isn't it.

For what its worth, I'd love to have him as my teams backup (Edmonton), but we don't have the cap space for him at full hit, so he likely ends up elsewhere. That's a hefty salary for a team wanting a backup. If there's a way to retain down to 2.0 - 2.5, I'd certainly hope to find it, but I don't think the cap situation allows it. I don't blame Montreal for trying to find a taker for the full salary though.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
That single season comeback only had to had happen because Jake Allen is doodoo garbage and sank a Stanley Cup winning team to last place.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Friedman was on Marek show last week said ask is a 2nd and throw in.
I could see a team being more open to paying that if there was retention involved.

That was years ago, who cares what Allen did back then,

He is worth a 3rd or 4th round pick,

Any team hoping to win the cup should not be pursing Allen
What if they are pursuing him as a backup? I haven't watched enough of Jake Allen this year to know, is he just not good enough to be backup either anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad