Value of: Something happening with Jake Allen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
If the Avs are trading for Monahan as the answer to their 2C woes, then they have thrown in the towel IMO.

Monahan is better than RyJo (especially at the caphit). But that's not saying much.
theyre 4th in the league and don't even have .900 goaltending. i dont think monahan makes or breaks them either way. the heavy lifting is going to be done by their big line.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
If the Avs are trading for Monahan as the answer to their 2C woes, then they have thrown in the towel IMO.

Monahan is better than RyJo (especially at the caphit). But that's not saying much.
Well, if Lindholm isn't an option for whatever reason, Monahan gives them some measure of offensive depth, and I suspect he'd do well behind the Avs super-top-line that will attract most defensive coverage and game plan considerations.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Well, if Lindholm isn't an option for whatever reason, Monahan gives them some measure of offensive depth, and I suspect he'd do well behind the Avs super-top-line that will attract most defensive coverage and game plan considerations.
I am not sold. But i have observed the following:

1. Early in the season Monahan was a play driver who initiated contact.
2. Half way through the season Monahan avoids contact and doesn't drive play (but doesn't have linemates either)

I suspect Monahan is preserving himself to minimize potential for injury. He looked so good in the first 10 - 15 games. Then looked tired / less engaged. I think he has the ability to be effective but is scared to get injured.

Last edited:

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Exactly mate. Binnington was a newbie. Sheltered starts etc during the season. Allen has value and I stand by the fact that he fits well in a split workload system. Montreal is getting heavy on him I think with this three goalie rotation where he plays maybe once a week
Don't be stupid. Making shit up because you're too lazy too look it up gives us Habs fans a bad name.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014

2. Half way through the season Monahan avoids contact and doesn't drive play (but doesn't have linemates either)

I suspect Monahan is preserving himself to minimize potential for injury. He looked so good in the first 10 - 15 games. Then looked tired / less engaged. I think he has the ability to be effective but is scared to get injured.
He had good chemistry with Pearson. I don’t think it's a coincidence that he called off in the wake of Pearson's injury

pth2

Jan 7, 2018

He might have sprained something, and it made him realize that he'd have trouble getting another contract if he missed significant time once again. I think summer 2023 when he only got a 1-year contract at a greatly reduced salary must have hit home.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Value is in the tank after being pretty solid in relief of Price. Play has been going gradually downhill and has had some injuries. Not a bad guy in a backup role, especially to support and/or mentor a young starter. Not much value in real terms unless we take a contract dump in return and/or retain on his deal which is 3.85 mil until 2025. He has a NTC subject to his list of teams. I'd say for straight-up trade, we'd be very lucky to get a late 4th, but not likely. So not much value for JA at this point, IMO.

True. Very lucky to get a 4th. Playoff teams are looking for good goaltending and good value. Allen does not represent that at this point. I’d peg his value at a 6th which is what Blackwood cost last year.

Jake Allen, just for the record, played 24 minutes of the Blues cup run, faced four shots, and put up a .750. He was a glorified water boy.

As you were.

Sir, I think you may have just murdered any little value Allen had.

Reactions: Bluenotes27

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Varlamov has been hurt for a little bit. It’s not expected to be long term but if it becomes long term I could see the Islanders interested if the cost is low (think like a 3rd/4th).

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
A 2nd round pick not really that high. Considering shortage of netminding this season and Allen good money goalie
Goalie market is always hard to gauge. Allen's been a bit inconsistent this year in the 3-goalie scenario. Allen struggled last year, but early on with Montreal, while replacing Price, he was great. Is he a true #1? Not likely. But, he plays his best when he plays more. On a team that gives up a lot fewer high danger chances than Montreal has since the cup run, I think his numbers jump a fair bit.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
Friedman was on Marek show said Hughes ask for Allen is just short of extortion

Yeah, and that's not really surprising. They're really in no rush to trade him. Hughes is hoping a team becomes desperate enough to pay a high price for him before the deadline. Likely hoping for the off chance a team who is in the playoff race suffers an injury and has resort to making a trade to save their season.

The asking price will likely become a lot more reasonable as the deadline approaches.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I think expectation from the Habs POV is retention will be provided with the remaining retention slot. But nothing crazy. More like 750K ish.
why would they do that? They’ve got one retention spot left this year, why wouldn’t they maximize the value of that retention spot.

It seems like a stupid idea to use that last spot and not use it in a way that’s going to maximize its value.

Can you explain why you think it’s a good idea to only retain 750k instead of either offering max retention to bring more value or use it on another player who can bring more value with more retention?

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Goalie market is always hard to gauge. Allen's been a bit inconsistent this year in the 3-goalie scenario. Allen struggled last year, but early on with Montreal, while replacing Price, he was great. Is he a true #1? Not likely. But, he plays his best when he plays more. On a team that gives up a lot fewer high danger chances than Montreal has since the cup run, I think his numbers jump a fair bit.
A 2nd be 60th overall. Team most likely be Kings or Canes. Not really giving up much. .

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
He did really well shutting down forwards, especially the Oloffson line last night.
Stoned Jones at least once and kept MacDermid from pushing in any rebounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad