GDT: Some guy comes back

Status
Not open for further replies.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I hope we give Eberle a long video appreciation tribute and give him a golden stick just to piss Hall off some more

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Some things never change.

I was curious, so checked Eberle's game logs on hockey-ref.

7 points against playoff teams in his last 30 games.
Considering that half of the league is made up of non-playoff teams why does this matter?

The Oilers got spanked by Buffalo and needed two OTs against the Coyotes. Not to mention we got blown out by the Sens and Wings on home ice.

We didn't beat the Rangers, we only beat Chicago once, didn't beat STL...

Oh and since Eberle loves playing non-playoff teams no doubt he'll pot a few tonight.

Reactions: harpoon

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
Some things never change.

I was curious, so checked Eberle's game logs on hockey-ref.

7 points against playoff teams in his last 30 games.

Honestly. The trade might have had bad value but Eberle as a player was declining here in Edmonton. He was soft and would continually hit the goalies chest. He is a soft player who tended to show up in games in non playoff teams. We were hard on him but its not like the criticism wasn't warranted.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Eberle commented again this week, saw it on the news but couldn't find any link to it. He basically stated hoping that he won't be booed tonight. Every player states this but often accompanied by a laugh, seemingly to indicate that its the nature of the business and that it happens and won't impact. But listening to eberle it was again apparent that it does impact him, still, which I find somewhat odd.

Pro sports athletes, like anybody, exist on a continuum of what they handle, persevere, have resilience with. McD, Drai, players like that would be on one end and not impacted by much of anything. Eberle would be towards the other end. Its unfortunate that ultimately a mental aspect, and having nothing to do with the actual game on the ice or ability to play it, overrided his talent and made it difficult for him to play here.

Essentially Eberle shut him self down here. Not by want, not by will, but by screwing himself into a deep hole. This is why teams should have on hand sports psychologist that are immediately available. On even a drop in confidential basis. Or even bringing that person into the dressingroom for availability and to regularly introduce the service.

On their own avails players generally won't initiate or go to a coach and manager or org and request time with a consultant psychologist. It should be very confidential, or even arms length consultancy that the team never knows about. Like EAP programs are setup.

Eberle needed help getting over some mental barriers here. For a 6M buck investment its unfortunate he didn't get it here.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Eberle commented again this week, saw it on the news but couldn't find any link to it. He basically stated hoping that he won't be booed tonight. Every player states this but often accompanied by a laugh, seemingly to indicate that its the nature of the business and that it happens and won't impact. But listening to eberle it was again apparent that it does impact him, still, which I find somewhat odd.

Pro sports athletes, like anybody, exist on a continuum of what they handle, persevere, have resilience with. McD, Drai, players like that would be on one end and not impacted by much of anything. Eberle would be towards the other end. Its unfortunate that ultimately a mental aspect, and having nothing to do with the actual game on the ice or ability to play it, overrided his talent and made it difficult for him to play here.

Essentially Eberle shut him self down here. Not by want, not by will, but by screwing himself into a deep hole. This is why teams should have on hand sports psychologist that are immediately available. On even a drop in confidential basis. Or even bringing that person into the dressingroom for availability and to regularly introduce the service.

On their own avails players generally won't go to a coach and manager or org and request time with a consultant psychologist. It should be very confidential, or even arms length consultancy that the team never knows about. Like EAP programs are setup.

Eberle needed help getting over some mental barriers here. For a 6M buck investment its unfortunate he didn't get it here.
It's pretty telling when the Devils GM is willing to have a chat with his 6 million dollar winger for his performance but that same idea never occurred to our bumbling GM, who instead sold him for the first offer he found.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
It's pretty telling when the Devils GM is willing to have a chat with his 6 million dollar winger for his performance but that same idea never occurred to our bumbling GM, who instead sold him for the first offer he found.

We have traditionalist management and coaching staff here. The hubris here would very much don't show any signs of perceptible weakness. With Chia you can see that in his Boston strong parlance and does X player fit the tough culture here. When a player like Seguin or Hall are deemed not tough enough its an entry into crazy world.

Add that McLellan is very much a vet supporter. He wants guys already seasoned, he has les patience for younger players or guys still sorting it out. Its just expected here that players have it all together and ready to go. Lowe and MacT voice similar disdain for any weakness.

Its ironic that an org that is so weak requires its players to be so inordinately strong and have no issues.

Yet its the sense I get with this org. We take good players here and often turn them into something else. Where their confidence is destroyed, damaged and with performance sinking.

Last edited:
Reactions: RattsSSV and Aerrol

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
Did you just call Lucic soft? How about you guys confront him outside a restaurant about all your issues and film it for the world to see. I'd actually pay to see that, and also replace your jeans when you soil them.
Correction... Replace your track suit.

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
I'd dress up like a goalie, he'd never be able to beat me.

Hmmm
ExaltedAgreeableBlackrussianterrier.gif

oljimmy

May 9, 2013
Considering that half of the league is made up of non-playoff teams why does this matter?

Because in order to win the Stanley Cup you have to beat playoff teams. By definition.

With McDavid in your franchise you have one goal. Not saying current mgmt is achieving that goal (I know that's where you'll go in response), but Eberle is not a guy that pushes anyone through a tough playoff series. Surely you can't deny that showing up against the top 16 is a crucial indicator of playoff ability.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Could you imagine if because of that the Islanders draft 1 and 2

I must be missing something; I get why the Flames winning the Lottery is funny (goes to the Isles), but why is the Isles winning funny? They have their own first, don't they? Or are we just going to laugh at the Isles continuing to succeed at our expense?

Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton
The long offseason will soon be upon us, I'm going to do my best to enjoy the few games despite the fact that this team is tough to watch.

Should be a great game tonight, neither team plays defense or has any semblance of goaltending!

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I must be missing something; I get why the Flames winning the Lottery is funny (goes to the Isles), but why is the Isles winning funny? They have their own first, don't they? Or are we just going to laugh at the Isles continuing to succeed at our expense?
Thats it pretty much.
Also just the league reaction to a team winning the lotto twice with both their picks. Like when we had that 16oa pick and it came down to the last game to decide if they made the playoffs so it was almost a lotto pick. And if we had won McDavid with that pick and ended up with McDavid, Marner/Hanifin the salt would of been amazing.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
This game is going to write itself.

3-0 Isles. Eberle Barzal and Davidson

This result would be so satisfying.

As frustrating as it was to watch Eberle at times last year it was a bad move to trade him for Strome (who's been playing better lately) and an even worse move (like still drives me mental) to trade a 1st in 2015 for Reinhart who had been a disappointment especially with top rated guys like Barzal and Connor falling to them. Then to throw in a second on top of that....getting off topic. Also, dicking Davidson around when he obviously loved being in Edmonton wasn't cool even if he is just a bottom pairing guy. Why he didn't get the same love as Gryba and Benning I assume has to do with not being somebody Chia brought in.

So despite me wanting to see this team succeed even at the expense of draft position I think it's better for Chia's errors to be thrown in his and Bob Nicholson's faces.

Reactions: harpoon

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Thats it pretty much.
Also just the league reaction to a team winning the lotto twice with both their picks. Like when we had that 16oa pick and it came down to the last game to decide if they made the playoffs so it was almost a lotto pick. And if we had won McDavid with that pick and ended up with McDavid, Marner/Hanifin the salt would of been amazing.

Gotcha. Thanks.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
Say whatever you want about Eberle he would still be 3rd on our team in points. Yeah he sucked last year in the playoffs but his production helped us get to the playoffs.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Say whatever you want about Eberle he would still be 3rd on our team in points. Yeah he sucked last year in the playoffs but his production helped us get to the playoffs.

I wasn't a fan of his in his last year here, but yeah Maroon out (27 goals gone), Letestu out (16 goals out), and Eberle out (20 goals out) is a significant chunk of offence that's gone, that 16-17 Oilers team is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad