Post-Game Talk: Solely Responsible

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Did anyone else notice the amount of empty seats at the end of the game? I understand the team has been crap the last decade but this is a new squad who's 2 points out of first in this division with a game in hand on the top team almost 50 games into the season.
The building is far too quiet.

That being said, great game for the boys and onto Arizona. I'll be at that one and you can bet I'll be staying until the bitter end, especially if they're winning the game, to show support. Couple of huge divisional games coming up, let's keep this train rolling fellas!

:thumbu:

Once that insurance goal was scored everyone bolted for the exits. The brutally cold weather and long parkade exit lines as reasons 1 and 2.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
We officially have more wins than the 14-15 season!!

HEY!!! 2014-15 is off limits!!! We got the One!
1ma0w6.jpg

pratt

Oct 8, 2019
Edmonton
The broadcasts are just so laughably bad. All of a sudden the clock goes from 1:43 left to 1:23, they mention that, but then totally forget about it and don't explain what occurred. Apparently the clock had frozen earlier but I'm not picking that up either rewinding it. From the broadcast all you would know is 20secs disappeared from the clock.

This level of inattention to such detail would have been considered shoddy when ITV was doing the broadcasts circa 1980. To have this entirely unprofessional lack of awareness of whats going on in 2020 is incredible. Do they not have any spotter, anybody in the booth that knows what the **** is going on?
After watching a game in Vegas recently, everything about the Oilers organization is shoddy, including its broadcast stuff (Debrusk is good tho). I guess the organization is just so used to making money hand over fist with low effort entertainment. Any game I've watched elsewhere has had better pre-game shows, stuff set up outside, between-play announcers/games, and giveaways.

One game in Vegas and I walked away with a metal vegas knights water bottle, been to dozens of Oilers games and nothing, MAYBE a towel from the playoff run, but that might be from the game in Anaheim now that I think about it.

Now I'm not bitching about getting free stuff, but at least value the fans for more than one game a season.

Love the team and players tho. Glad we got the win. Much needed and surprising as they don't usually come back from a roadie with fire in their bellies.

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Good win . 3 point for Mcdavid and Draisaitl . Love Yamamoto game . Which Oiler fan was calling him a nothing prospect ? Nurse needs to learn to pass . Ices the puck when he has time to make a play .

That would be our resident pessimist: CycloneSweep.

OfCorsiDid

Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
After watching a game in Vegas recently, everything about the Oilers organization is shoddy, including its broadcast stuff (Debrusk is good tho). I guess the organization is just so used to making money hand over fist with low effort entertainment. Any game I've watched elsewhere has had better pre-game shows, stuff set up outside, between-play announcers/games, and giveaways.

One game in Vegas and I walked away with a metal vegas knights water bottle, been to dozens of Oilers games and nothing, MAYBE a towel from the playoff run, but that might be from the game in Anaheim now that I think about it.

Now I'm not *****ing about getting free stuff, but at least value the fans for more than one game a season.

Love the team and players tho. Glad we got the win. Much needed and surprising as they don't usually come back from a roadie with fire in their bellies.

I went to a game in Glendale over the Christmas holidays.

Well, let’s just say that the Coyotes get shit on quite a bit for their attendance woes, but just like anything, winning fixes everything. But, I have to say, man their in game presentation, give aways, and overall stadium environment blows Rogers Place away. The crowd is loud and involved (even if 75% of them don’t understand hockey), and the in-game presentation is funny and engaging.

I hope sometime soon the Oilers take something like that out of the Yotes playbook.

OfCorsiDid

Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Sorry folks, I missed most of this one, I was reffing a minor hockey week game.

From what I’ve seen we had a great game. Glad to see that Draisaitl is back to firing all cylinders. Smith is back to being solid which is always nice to see.

Reactions: Rodd from Leduc

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Huge win against a team that has fed the Oil their lunch for like forever it seems. Nice to see the second line gel getting points and playing strong in their own zone. McDavid continues to dazzle with his otherworldly ability. Archibald with a nice game on the first line but I thought Neil was skating in quicksand tonight. Oil defense was pretty good tonight but Nurse has looked off to me for a few recent games. Not initiating physically and a bit erratic at times in his own end. Even still he's a 20 minute guy for this team. Larsson had an understated solid, gritty game. I don't see Gagner 'sparking' the fourth line with isn't great for a guy with average/below defensive play.

Forsberg was outstanding for Nashville. He came to play but there didn't seem much engagement from their top forwards.

Road type win against a killer opponent in what I cheekily called a tough building for the Oilers to win in. Nice to see this team keep grinding. Smith seems to be the ultimate grinder for them - not always pretty to watch, lot of flopping, but this guy battles his way to winning games. But maybe even moreso important I think he's a pros pro who imposes a veteran voice that helps in a lot of ways to instil belief and refusal to give up. Building resiliency is a critical development area for this team and I think Tippett has been masterful in his coaching approach.

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
It's not been long ago when a game vs. Nashville was pretty much a guaranteed loss. Glad we won, the 2nd line produces and Archy uses his chance on the 1st line. Somebody scoring an ENG almost seems like the cherry on top. :naughty:

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
That's a damn big win.

Hopefully Holland can swing a trade with Nashville if they're falling out of it at the deadline. Adding an Arvidsson (pipe dream, I know) or a Bonino would help a lot.

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006
Did anyone else notice the amount of empty seats at the end of the game? I understand the team has been crap the last decade but this is a new squad who's 2 points out of first in this division with a game in hand on the top team almost 50 games into the season.

That being said, great game for the boys and onto Arizona. I'll be at that one and you can bet I'll be staying until the bitter end, especially if they're winning the game, to show support. Couple of huge divisional games coming up, let's keep this train rolling fellas!

To be fair, Roger's library is quiet whether or not the seats are filled or not.

Not surprised there were a shit ton of empty seats. I dont blame people for staying at home tonight. It's one of the coldest weeks in maybe 20 plus years.

The Cheez

Aug 14, 2015

To be fair, it was like -37 or something last night. So I dont blame people for not getting out in that cold

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Big win last night, I thought the Oilers had a pretty good third holding the lead. Smith had to make some good saves, but they didn't look on their heels in a significant way.

I was really impressed with what Gagner-Haas-Chiasson showed in the 3rd as well.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007

This is not a 'new squad' in any real tangible form.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
If Mike Smith keeps it up, he might finish the year blocking as many shots as an Oiler as Jason Smith did.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Actually it was TMac who put Nuge on wing and TOLD him to think more offensively....even saying " don't negate your d duties, but play more offensively"

With McDavid for a while. Never with Drai playing C. Nuge on the top line always meant Drai playing with no one and the team remained a 1 line team. Drai as #2C with Nuge on his wing seemed even more obvious to try after Nuge did well on McDavid's wing, but he never tried it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad