Post-Game Talk: Solely Responsible

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
With McDavid for a while. Never with Drai playing C. Nuge on the top line always meant Drai playing with no one and the team remained a 1 line team. Drai as #2C with Nuge on his wing seemed even more obvious to try after Nuge did well on McDavid's wing, but he never tried it.
He actually did try it for a short time in 2017-18. It was for maybe 5 games then he split them back up.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Big win last night! Only got to watch the 2nd and 3rd periods but it nice to finally see them play pretty hard after taking the lead. Thats how you have to close out games!

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
He actually did try it for a short time in 2017-18. It was for maybe 5 games then he split them back up.

Pretty sure Nuge was C in every attempt. And it rarely lasted more than a game, or even a couple periods before he went back to McDrai.

I could probably make a chronology by searching my comment history for every time I whined about Nuge being the C when he and Drai were together on their own line :)

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
After watching a game in Vegas recently, everything about the Oilers organization is shoddy, including its broadcast stuff (Debrusk is good tho). I guess the organization is just so used to making money hand over fist with low effort entertainment. Any game I've watched elsewhere has had better pre-game shows, stuff set up outside, between-play announcers/games, and giveaways.

One game in Vegas and I walked away with a metal vegas knights water bottle, been to dozens of Oilers games and nothing, MAYBE a towel from the playoff run, but that might be from the game in Anaheim now that I think about it.

Now I'm not *****ing about getting free stuff, but at least value the fans for more than one game a season.

Love the team and players tho. Glad we got the win. Much needed and surprising as they don't usually come back from a roadie with fire in their bellies.

IMO it is really an unfair comment comparing Edmonton to Vegas for in game entertainment value. I have been to over half of the arenas in the league in the past couple of years to see the Oilers play and trust me, the Oilers rank far above most teams in game experience.

You are correct in the fact that Vegas is far and away the best however, I have been to several games there including one of their playoff games against the Sharks. It is incomparable actually how Vegas does it, but only Vegas can do what Vegas does because its Vegas, a place literally built on gambling, alcohol, entertainment, world class shows and sex in a warm climate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aerchon

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Pretty sure Nuge was C in every attempt. And it rarely lasted more than a game, or even a couple periods before he went back to McDrai.

I could probably make a chronology by searching my comment history for every time I whined about Nuge being the C when he and Drai were together on their own line :)

Actually Draisaitl was the center for the first few games and then they moved Nuge into that slot. But you are correct that the majority of time they played together Nuge was the center.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Hey, props to Archibald for making the most of the opportunity last night. He was a decent fit on that line.

He is a good complimentary player, has speed, forechecks hard and digs out pucks and is defensively responsible. A good player to have there in short bursts.

Russell and Gagner looked ok in their roles as well, I would keep them in for the next game instead of Khaira replacing one of them. Khaira is doing what I predicted he would do early in the year, and that is play himself off of this team with terribly inconsistent play. Coaches want consistency especially in the last half of a season. Russell may not score and Gagner is Gagner but the coach knows what he is going to get game in and game out from them..

Reactions: Oilhawks

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Anyone have a gif of that when Drai run over Ekholm at the end of his shift? What a tank!
Uxk29te.gif

Courtesy @The Batman

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I wonder if I go on the Boston or Colorado boards do their top guys take criticism on an off night. Serious question.

I would hope so.

McDrai score a lot of points and are incredibly entertaining. If not for over a decade of sucking I might give more of a flying f*** how many points or how many highlight reel goals they get. The main thing that I find entertaining now is winning.

On the lacrosse goal McDavid just watches Forsberg skate by him with no pressure. The fastest skater in the nhl didn't even take a stride in his direction or even try to stick check him.

He was even worse on the second goal.

Basic simple defensive awareness and effort by McDavid would have most likely prevented 2 goals against.

Obviously McDavid brings far more good than bad and is awesome.

But If we want to win he has to be better defensively.

It really is that simple. If McDrai play a 200' game night in and out we win more. They both absolutely cheat a bit too much for their offense. Flying the zone and not providing enough support down low. If playing that way means a couple less points but a lot more wins, which it would, it needs to be done.

I've seen McDrai play this way and know they can, they just need to do it more consistently.

Reactions: guymez

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
He is a good complimentary player, has speed, forechecks hard and digs out pucks and is defensively responsible. A good player to have there in short bursts.

Russell and Gagner looked ok in their roles as well, I would keep them in for the next game instead of Khaira replacing one of them. Khaira is doing what I predicted he would do early in the year, and that is play himself off of this team with terribly inconsistent play. Coaches want consistency especially in the last half of a season. Russell may not score and Gagner is Gagner but the coach knows what he is going to get game in and game out from them..
I'll say this for Gagner, along with Chiasson and Haas, they created a lot turn overs and really put pressure on the Preds. I thought that line really won their match up 5 on 5.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I'll say this for Gagner, along with Chiasson and Haas, they created a lot turn overs and really put pressure on the Preds. I thought that line really won their match up 5 on 5.

Chaisson and Haas work well together, Gagner is good in short bursts there. I think if and when Benson gets his call up you slot him in there, limit his minutes to start against 3/4 opponent lines and you have a 4th line that can be responsible 5v5 and outscore the opposition more often than not. Benson is a very very smart player, can check, has a bit of a mean streak in there, he is just not the most fleet of foot.

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
Speaking of the quiet atmosphere at the games, is there any chance the OEG could use the jumbotron for bingo during the games? Just asking for a friend....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad