Post-Game Talk: Solely Responsible

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I'll say this for Gagner, along with Chiasson and Haas, they created a lot turn overs and really put pressure on the Preds. I thought that line really won their match up 5 on 5.

I thought Chiasson had a great game. Gagner just didn't seem to fit. He wasn't terrible but he was not good either.

Even as bad as Kharia has been I take him over Gagner every day and twice on Sundays. I don't think it's even close. He at least is an excellent PKer and better positionally. Also has more 5v5 offensive, sad as it to say that.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
I dont think we can overstate how much of a difference the added speed of Nygard, and Archibald has made. Plus the shedding of Lucic. The Oilers are much harder to contain and are much better on the PK and on the even strength backcheck. Holland picked these guys up for nothing, while Chiarelli couldn’t find them with a map and compass. “Ya lets bring in Spooner.” Get stuffed, Chiarelli. Wherever you are.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Solid game again last night, and Smith was stellar again. I would suggest if he had played last Saturday, we'd be on a 5 game heater. And in his post game interview last night, he went on and on about how great the team is playing in front of him. Wonder where all the haters are now.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I thought Chiasson had a great game. Gagner just didn't seem to fit. He wasn't terrible but he was not good either.

Even as bad as Kharia has been I take him over Gagner every day and twice on Sundays. I don't think it's even close. He at least is an excellent PKer and better positionally. Also has more 5v5 offensive, sad as it to say that.
Khaira needs to sit down and have a heart to heart with Kass.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Speaking of the quiet atmosphere at the games, is there any chance the OEG could use the jumbotron for bingo during the games? Just asking for a friend....

It really bugs me how quiet it is at Rogers. I've been to enough games at Rexall/Northlands that despite being in a 10x better arena the atmosphere sucks in comparison.

It wouldnt mind going to a Nashville game to enjoy a real energized atmosphere again.

Reactions: nally

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Solid game again last night, and Smith was stellar again. I would suggest if he had played last Saturday, we'd be on a 5 game heater. And in his post game interview last night, he went on and on about how great the team is playing in front of him. Wonder where all the haters are now.

I'm a Smith hater. For being a thorn in our side in the past. For being signed to a ridiculous contract with a ridiculous "bonus structure".

I feel there have been numerous times Koskinen should have had the net and if he did we would have more wins to show for it. I don't think Smith could have done better in that game against Calgary he was very good especially right out the gate.

Tippett obviously loves Smith and favors him.

Having said all that he has been far more good than bad.

Recently he has been awesome.

I do think the team enjoys playing for the emotional Smith. Although the team generally plays well for either.

I now wonder, in hindsight, if that weird bonus structure is a good way to motivate Smith/goalies in general. Goalies always want to play every game but if there paycheck depends on getting games played it might work some/most goalies as an extra motivator.

Smith was terrible for a good stretch of games and I thought was playing himself off the team. If Koskinen didn't get sick it wouldn't have surprise me if that happened.

Last edited:

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

Goalies are a weird breed. Look around the league, a good chunk of really good goalies have had awful stretches of games this year. And then seemingly at the switch of a switch, they do a 180 and start playing better. Smith is no different. How will will it last, who knows, but for now he is playing better than Kosko, and with large breaks in the schedule, you ride him till he falters. Agree that the result of the Flamer game may have been different with Smith in net.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Anyone have a gif of that when Drai run over Ekholm at the end of his shift? What a tank!
You could see Eckholm turn around to get the licence plate after getting runover. The impressive thing was it was a situation where Drai was the puck carrier and defenders look to pop those guys. Its great that Drai's got his head up anticipating all the time but that's what makes him a great playmaker. He see's ice.

But he's so strong he bowled over a guy taking a run at him.

Come at me Ratboy;)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I'm a Smith hater. For being a thorn in our side in the past. For being signed to a ridiculous contract with a ridiculous "bonus structure".

I feel there have been numerous times Koskinen should have had the net and if he did we would have more wins to show for it. I don't think Smith could have done better in that game against Calgary he was very good especially right out the gate.

Tippett obviously loves Smith and favors him.

Having said all that he has been far more good than bad.

Recently he has been awesome.

I do think the team enjoys playing for the emotional Smith. Although the team generally plays well for either.

I now wonder, in hindsight, if that weird bonus structure is a good way to motivate Smith/goalies in general. Goalies always want to play every game but if there paycheck depends on getting games played it might work some/most goalies as an extra motivator.

Smith was terrible for a good stretch of games and I thought was playing himself off the team. If Koskinen didn't get sick it wouldn't have surprise me if that happened.

Smith consistently offers one key ability that Koski struggles with. Playing the puck. Our transition game really is night and day better when Smith is on his game playing the puck because its like have 3 D back there moving the puck around to set the breakout. This wasn't mentioned much but Koskis play of the puck in the Flames game was horrible. He misplayed the puck half a dozen times. A few almost backfired.

According to Tippett the club is fine with either in net but the d have to work way harder, and receive awkward passes or see turnovers when Koski is in net.

Reactions: Oilhawks

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Did anyone else notice the amount of empty seats at the end of the game? I understand the team has been crap the last decade but this is a new squad who's 2 points out of first in this division with a game in hand on the top team almost 50 games into the season.
The building is far too quiet.

:thumbu:

Yes, it was disheartening. Not only were there TONS of empty seats but the crowd that was there looked like they couldn't care less. 13+ years of failure has really weighed on his fanbase. It might take a couple of successful seasons to get them back.

I'm sure the weather played a part with the sparse crowd last night but it's been like that all season. Sparse and really really quiet crowds.

Reactions: optimism

TameYew

Oct 24, 2016
Playing against Smith, I hated him because we could never dump the puck in. He would always intercept it and pass it back out of his zone. Now I watch him do that to opposing teams and it is awesome. If Kostco could learn to do that for the future we would be set in goal. I am still a believer in the tandom. Keep it going! Goalies are going to have off nights for sure it happens.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The game was a reasonable watch and the teams were putting on some clinical performance and so I think the crowd response was viewing the game. There were several oohs and ahhs. When Drai flattened Eckholm, When Drai was waving the puck around on his stick like it was glued on. When Forsberg scored the Lacrosse goal, when McD lit up the engines, the great timing of Nuge rushes to the net (he really is good at this), the puck cycle of the 2nd line.

What a nice game to watch though. 2 teams just playing hockey without a bunch of nonsense. Forsberg having a great game and dangerous all night. A game within a game was Smith not being beaten by the lacrosse move goal. He really bounced back and stoned Forsberg 3 more times and the two were even having some back and forth about it and laughs. Like kids do on a backlot only with so much more pressure.

One more comment, and it didn't get enough credit was the outstanding pass from Klefbom way up to McD on the Archibald goal. Now that was some service, and we haven't seen enough of that, but the D get more time to make some nice plays up when Smith is in net helping the setup.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Very solid game. It was like a road game at home which is what Tippett was talking about prior to the game.
Solid effort by the group and the only beef I have was with McDavids inattention on D. Aside from that solid team win.
Really like Archibald and Sheahan.
Solid pick ups.

McBeastMode

Dec 29, 2012
Beside my neighbor..
I noticed that Draisaitl was really good defensively today. Apart from a couple unneeded fancy dekes, he was all over his own zone. He pushed multiple guys off the puck and backchecked really well.

2AuLZ96.gif

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I mean it's disgustingly cold, the roads around the rink are terrible right now and the traffic is often a mad house. People probably just wanted to get home before midnight

Did the City forget that sand and gravel can be used to provide traction on stone cold curling ice? Just a question. They sanded once after the huge dump, theres been multiple dustings of snow since, and no sign of any sand. I can handle driving on this but try walking around on this curling ice and having to cross roads as vehicle curling stones approach..

You'd think even the intersections could be sanded for pedestrians and to avoid them falling and breaking bones or vehicles crashing into them.

Its OK though, as per usual the city was full into infraction mode giving drivers tickets for the slightest speeding infractions when the roads were bone dry and good during the holidays. This all in the name of year end money collection, I mean safety...

We could win the record for the worlds longest sheets of curling ice. Except I threw it through the house and my Millwoods shot landed in Windermere..

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I going to ask a dumb question . I guess I feel I am among friend on the Oilers boards .

PM me if anyone know much about Propane Tankless Hot water heaters . Been read up on them and read about people having problem with them freezing . Wind blowing in the vent ( Both wall and roof ) I live close to the ocean and I get a lot of wind in the winter . I don't need to have issues .

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I going to ask a dumb question . I guess I feel I am among friend on the Oilers boards .

PM me if anyone know much about Propane Tankless Hot water heaters . Been read up on them and read about people having problem with them freezing . Wind blowing in the vent ( Both wall and roof ) I live close to the ocean and I get a lot of wind in the winter . I don't need to have issues .

This should be OT probably but I'll answer it here. I wouldn't use them here in Edmonton for sure, but in a coastal area it should be warmer. Where do you live? Lower mainland no problem, Atlantic Canada would be a problem in many areas.

Any housing you could build up would help out as well to limit exposure, and to windchill, but ensuring that it is not airtight, as no propane or gas tank housing should be completely airtight..

My own experience with propane is its a pain in the ass at anything around -20C or colder conditions. Subject to lines not operating optimally and potentially going out which is a huge problem. Whenever not in use I close propane valves tight. Not sure how much a person would want to go out in the cold before or after a bath to close or open a valve but I don't feel safe having propane tanks in open position. Any leaking ropane is more apt to settle in lower places and thus can become explosive in different ways than natural gas.

just a laymans opinion though. Others might have some more concise info. I would definitely get some independent research and contact people that might know more about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: MessierII

Morpheus

nuckin’ futz
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Oak Island - Lot #32
Yes, it was disheartening. Not only were there TONS of empty seats but the crowd that was there looked like they couldn't care less. 13+ years of failure has really weighed on his fanbase. It might take a couple of successful seasons to get them back.

I'm sure the weather played a part with the sparse crowd last night but it's been like that all season. Sparse and really really quiet crowds.

Announced paid attendance last night was 17,026
Definitely weather related.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
I dont think we can overstate how much of a difference the added speed of Nygard, and Archibald has made. Plus the shedding of Lucic. The Oilers are much harder to contain and are much better on the PK and on the even strength backcheck. Holland picked these guys up for nothing, while Chiarelli couldn’t find them with a map and compass. “Ya lets bring in Spooner.” Get stuffed, Chiarelli. Wherever you are.
He's getting stuffed.

Reactions: BudBundy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad