Post-Game Talk: Solely Responsible

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
h0DdrZ7.jpg

In days of lore that thar was called a do it yourself convertible conversion..although I don't spot the can openered scoop luxry *sunroof*

lol that whoever was driving that one was using it as a mudder. Wtf were they wearing, a scuba suit?

Another joke is this removes the need for window wipers and solution. This version comes with free spray mist for hot weather if you do fill the resorvoir.

Beautiful warwagon

Reactions: Oilhawks

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I would hope so.

McDrai score a lot of points and are incredibly entertaining. If not for over a decade of sucking I might give more of a flying **** how many points or how many highlight reel goals they get. The main thing that I find entertaining now is winning.

On the lacrosse goal McDavid just watches Forsberg skate by him with no pressure. The fastest skater in the nhl didn't even take a stride in his direction or even try to stick check him.

He was even worse on the second goal.

Basic simple defensive awareness and effort by McDavid would have most likely prevented 2 goals against.

Obviously McDavid brings far more good than bad and is awesome.

But If we want to win he has to be better defensively.

It really is that simple. If McDrai play a 200' game night in and out we win more. They both absolutely cheat a bit too much for their offense. Flying the zone and not providing enough support down low. If playing that way means a couple less points but a lot more wins, which it would, it needs to be done.

I've seen McDrai play this way and know they can, they just need to do it more consistently.
For that 2nd goal I'll give him a pass. Larsson botched the change and McD had just jumped on. They were caught at the end of a PK, pure and simple. 1st culprit Larsson, 2nd McD, but I wouldn't be too harsh, as I said McD just came on and probably didn't realise Larsson messed up his change. Larsson had just spent like 1:40 out of 2 mins on the PK so he was prob exhausted.
Pass for both of them, we won!

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Oilers win in a very entertaining game and its crickets here last night and today.

Another comment on the game is that if there was one game to take a kid to this was it.

You could tell them about the stars in the game, McD, Drai, Forsberg, Nuge, Rinne, and they didn't disappoint. This was classic skill hockey and many good plays made in a game that saw some good goaltending on both sides limiting the score.

Despite good coverage and checking the stars found ways to prevail and come to the forefront. This was a great game to introduce new fans to. Both clubs can be pleased with how they played this game and its games like this, not the Calgary game, that should be getting all the press. This was some nice hockey played at a high level.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
Just finished watching the game on an archived stream. Good watch.

Our defensive awareness and particularly timing was just excellent last night. All the forwards were timing their blocks and stick checks just beautifully.

Klefbom and Larsson played with a confidence that had them making strong moves and dekes right in the neutral zone, was fun to see.
I thought Jones had his strongest showing since being up, moving his feet to play angles and deploy some shiftiness makes him far more effective.
Nurse had a couple of man-to-man misses and misguided passes, but solid on the boards and in front of the net.
Russell played simple which is when he's best. And Bear, despite I think gripping his stick a bit tight, had his head on a swivel and made smart plays.

Small mention to Nuge (who I like to defend) for some solid production lately. I think he's looked great for a couple of weeks now. I believe that hand injury and healing time played a factor, you can see him using his release and shot much more effectively lately.

I love that line. Draisaitl a monster all over the ice. Yamamoto brings crafty element on the forecheck and makes smart decisions when he has the puck. Some true 3-man chemistry, which has been a rarity for a couple of years now. Not to undermine the 3rd man on a McDavid-Draisaitl line, just the the chemistry is more prevalent between all 3 players right now on our 2nd line while a little more isolated towards just the 2 superstars when they play together.

Bottom 6 did their job effectively. Nygard in particular, while still needing some confidence offensively, is still creating turnovers and drawing penalties. The speed from Haas, Nygard do wonders. The smarts and simplicity of Sheahan, Russell are noticeable (the right safe play gets made 99% of the time). Gagner even offers some creativity and Chiasson has looked far more engaged lately as well.

Very impressed with the response post the cow town loss.

If they can bottle this formula down the stretch, I think we'll have some very happy fans in this city come April.

Last edited:

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
Oilers win in a very entertaining game and its crickets here last night and today.

People often like to complain more when we are losing. Also, to be honest feeling like there are things to fix tends to generate more discussion then when things are going well. It's human nature. :)

Last night's game and the game against Calgary were both excellent games regardless of result. Actually we have had really strong play this last stretch of 6 or so games. It's been really fun to watch the team. They are working hard out there and getting rewarded for it. That's the only way we are going to make the playoffs because we don't have enough talent to coast into it.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
i've never tried to pick a puck up with a hockey stick...it looks pretty difficult based on the coefficient of friction of ice - how hard is it to do?
I would think the crappier the ice and the later in the period it is, the easier it would get.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
i've never tried to pick a puck up with a hockey stick...it looks pretty difficult based on the coefficient of friction of ice - how hard is it to do?
I would think the crappier the ice and the later in the period it is, the easier it would get.
You can get the hang of it pretty easy, when you are unbothered and by yourself. To do it during the speed of the game, it is pretty incredible.

pratt

Oct 8, 2019
Edmonton
I love that line. Draisaitl a monster all over the ice. Yamamoto brings crafty element on the forecheck and makes smart decisions when he has the puck. Some true 3-man chemistry, which has been a rarity for a couple of years now. Not to undermine the 3rd man on a McDavid-Draisaitl line, just the the chemistry is more prevalent between all 3 players right now on our 2nd line while a little more isolated towards just the 2 superstars when they play together.

Bottom 6 did their job effectively. Nygard in particular, while still needing some confidence offensively, is still creating turnovers and drawing penalties. The speed from Haas, Nygard do wonders. The smarts and simplicity of Sheahan, Russell are noticeable (the right safe play gets made 99% of the time). Gagner even offers some creativity and Chiasson has looked far more engaged lately as well.

There’s no doubt that McDavid is the fastest guy on the team (and the league), but I love the quickness of Yama,Nygard, Hass, and Archibald. They get in on the forecheck really quick, pivot and shift around the ice fast enough to disrupt and pressure the D, and cause havoc. Spread these guys through the line up and they have a positive impact on any line. Helps to have other forwards on their lines that can react quickly to pucks popping out at odd moments. Guys like McDavid, Nuge, Drai can capitalize off of those situations and must love it. On the other hand, even though he’s playing better, that just isn’t a strength for player like Chiasson, which is why you see him whiff on his chances and what not when they come that quick,

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA

Another comment on the game is that if there was one game to take a kid to this was it.

You could tell them about the stars in the game, McD, Drai, Forsberg, Nuge, Rinne, and they didn't disappoint. This was classic skill hockey and many good plays made in a game that saw some good goaltending on both sides limiting the score.

Despite good coverage and checking the stars found ways to prevail and come to the forefront. This was a great game to introduce new fans to. Both clubs can be pleased with how they played this game and its games like this, not the Calgary game, that should be getting all the press. This was some nice hockey played at a high level.
Yams was pretty damn good too. Right?

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Never felt like this game was in doubt, including when the temporarily went down 2-1. Smith was good again. Team played a full 60 and was the better team overall. Outside of the few times the preds hemmed us in our own zone, they looked pretty bad. And that was in front of a new coach. My how the mighty have fallen...and fast.

Much needed 2 points, a HUGE win at home with 100% on the PK against a team chasing us in the standings. Now let's do the same against the yotes on Saturday.

Looks like one team will lose out on the race for that final spot. Let's make sure we're not that one team. I'd prefer it be the lames, and they could go into a tailspin b/c of the ratboy incident (many teams do), but as long as it's not us, i could care less who misses this year.

optimism

Jun 28, 2015
Edmonton
This is not a 'new squad' in any real tangible form.

They're battling for a playoff spot and it'll be February in 3 games. This is not the usual and it's time for people to support the team. A quiet building isn't going to help our big players want to stay come UFA time. Especially considering this team is the biggest thing the city has, and tons of people love to watch the Oilers.

Some old trolls just want to be negative about everything, but that's not a true fan response in my opinion. You are welcome to yours.

:nod:

Reactions: bucks_oil

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
You need good ice. My one buddy has nice mitts and can pull it off when we’re screwing around but you need really good ice. You need to really use the momentum of your stick gliding along the ice perfectly so if the ice is choppy it screws it up.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
There's a lot of time off before games, Smith could very well revert back and Koskinen has been off too long. If they don't win the next 2 games vs Calgary I'm going to shit in my pants!

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
Personally, two seasons ago if we were down 2-1 early in the game, I sensed that it was game over. The team deflated, skated in meaningless circles and never replied with intensity.
This year, like the Nashville game, I felt the team rolled up their sleeves and went to work - all lines. This attitude difference goes a long way in the playoffs.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad