Soccer Prospect Discussion Thread VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Both. Great ability for a CB to dribble and move his way like that to the opposite box but also... you are the CB you don't take stupid risk like that. That's u18 stuff, he should learn.
Young Matip right there. You don’t want to see that in a senior game but good to know he has that kind of control in his locker

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
That's a good play if the team has been coached to rotate & cover for forward impulses like that...at least until he gets to the final third.

If that's just a kid going hero-mode with nobody covering for him, that's reckless & will get taken advantage of at higher levels.

Reactions: Wee Baby Seamus

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
That stuff happens more often than expected at those younger levels. And I’ve seen that before from some of the best CB’s in the world. They don’t do it often, but if you are going to allow it, they are going to keep dribbling.

That play in isolation I only view as a positive for that kid knowing nothing about him. Impressive close control and comfort on the ball for a CB in areas that CB’s are not often in. That shows he’s probably really good in those areas of the game for the parts of the pitch that CB’s have a lot of touches on the ball. The lack of finishing there is mostly irrelevant because CB’s almost never find themselves in a situation like that.

Reactions: cgf

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
The lack of finish is the only problem in that video.
Guy was great but he had an easy pass for a tapin but preferred to play by himself for a low percentage shot.

Reactions: luiginb and cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
That stuff happens more often than expected at those younger levels. And I’ve seen that before from some of the best CB’s in the world. They don’t do it often, but if you are going to allow it, they are going to keep dribbling.

That play in isolation I only view as a positive for that kid knowing nothing about him. Impressive close control and comfort on the ball for a CB in areas that CB’s are not often in. That shows he’s probably really good in those areas of the game for the parts of the pitch that CB’s have a lot of touches on the ball. The lack of finishing there is mostly irrelevant because CB’s almost never find themselves in a situation like that.

I think we need to better define the question to have a more in depth conversation. There's a difference between whether something is a good footballing play and a good developmental play, and there are plenty of things that aren't good football plays that I want developing kids to be learning from doing.

In this case, I think it's both exactly what you want a CB prospect doing when teams give them space to dribble at the youth level, and a good footballing move...until the final third, as Evilo has pointed out...at least as long as the team has a capable coach teaching them to rotate properly & cover for one another.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

JimboA

Dec 9, 2012
Sweden
I posted about Roony Bardghji (‘05) here last year and after watching a full match of him vs Switzerland today, that just strengthened my opinion on him. It felt like something was gonna happen every time he received the ball. Won the game for Sweden with a free kick in 90+5.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
I posted about Roony Bardghji (‘05) here last year and after watching a full match of him vs Switzerland today, that just strengthened my opinion on him. It felt like something was gonna happen every time he received the ball. Won the game for Sweden with a free kick in 90+5.

he is a malmö guy. we should never had let him go.

anyways lots of swedes with immigrant background have chosen to play for their parents country these last years. hopefully roony chooses sweden in the future

JimboA

Dec 9, 2012
Sweden
he is a malmö guy. we should never had let him go.

anyways lots of swedes with immigrant background have chosen to play for their parents country these last years. hopefully roony chooses sweden in the future
Yes, Malmö have some young talents the last two years or so unfortunately. FCK seems like a good place for him though so I can see why he wanted to go there.

Regarding the national team, he is eligible to play for Syria but I see it being unlikely he would choose that over Sweden.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis

‘05 good lord.

Reactions: Wee Baby Seamus

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Bummed I missed this one, not only did Moukoko shine in his debut, but Kuntz played my beloved 4-3-1-2-0 with Appelkamp drifting around in between Moukoko & Burkardt upfront and the Becker-Stiller-Krauß midfield trio.

With Katterbach & Massimo at the FB spots, and Mantl in goal, the only change I'd have made was starting Bella Kotchap, but even he came on for the 2nd half...and I'm still intrigued by both Mai & Thiaw, who started ahead of him.

EDIT:
Just saw the highlights of Moukoko's goals and damn does that look more like the Moukoko we saw at previous levels. Him finding his swagger at the senior level could be a major wildcard for BVB this season.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The swiss typically give us problems, but the U19s have come out flying against our southwestern cousins. Lütke-Frie, Semic, Rhein, Sieb, & Arrey-Mbi are definitely playing.

Netz is on the team as well, though I haven't seen him on the pitch yet & missed the opening lineups. E: Lasse Günther is playing LB for him, which is interesting...

- I'm going to be so heartbroken when Arrey-Mbi & Bella Kotchap doesn't end up a world-class CB partnership. Both still obviously need polish; particularly with their passing, but they are so impressive against the ball & comfortable on it even when pressured.
- First I'm seeing of Ben Klefisch and he's having a really rough go of it...E: he has grown into the game more & started playing some nice long balls, but he's still rough under pressure & in tight spaces; kinda like a u19 level Xhaka.
- Lütke-Frie otoh is showing nicely, though his touch has been sloppy in spots.
- and Semic has done very well against the ball...though I have yet to see much of him going forwards.
- I like this Youssef Amyn kid from Victoria Köln. He presents himself well for the ball, is good in tight spaces, and is seeking crafty solutions.

Bit lucky on that goal, but Amyn deserved to be the one who got it.
...Lütke-Frie almost sprung Amyn for a second with a really nicely weighted throughball.
...Rhein is such a clever little s*** :laugh:

Most impressed by Amyn, Arrey-Mbi, Rhein, Semic, & Lütke-Frie in that half; probably in that order. Amyn has been the standout performer, though Arrey-Mbi & Rhein have also been fantastic, with Lütke-Frie showing some very nice positives that more than makeup for his sloppy first touch, and Semic looking really good against the ball while doing a good job of getting into dangerous positions.

Gürpüz, Günther & Sieb were largely anonymous that half...don't think I like Sieb up top, he has looked much more involved when I've seen him on the wing for Bayern. While Rosenfelder only stuck out when he gave away a golden opportunity while fishing for a striker-foul. Klefisch got better when he operated in more space, but despite his excellent first name, I still wasn't impressed much at all...outside of one really nice long ball to Semic.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad