Soccer Prospect Discussion Thread V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'm a big fan of this player. He hasn't gotten the chance to play in MLS that he should've, given the lack of talent on his MLS team, so I think it's wise to leave now. Some US fans have unfairly criticized him for being too slow and not good defensively, but he's actually a very good defensive player and his slowness is overstated. With consistent playing time, I think he'll be playing in the Champions League within a few seasons.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I'm a big fan of this player. He hasn't gotten the chance to play in MLS that he should've, given the lack of talent on his MLS team, so I think it's wise to leave now. Some US fans have unfairly criticized him for being too slow and not good defensively, but he's actually a very good defensive player and his slowness is overstated. With consistent playing time, I think he'll be playing in the Champions League within a few seasons.

I like this move. I feel like he will get playing time there and Belgium is a good place to develop.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Went to De Toekomst to watch the Dutch U19 Super Cup, between Ajax and Feyenoord. No fans allowed due to the riots last time, but managed to get in anyway. Seems like they just wanted to keep the hooligans out.

Ajax won handedly with 4-1. Goals scored by Hansen (2x), Taylor and Rensch. Feyenoord played out the final 30 minutes with 10 men after a horrific frustration tackle.
  • Naci Unuvar was involved a lot up until the 2-1 and the red card. After the red card the game was pretty much done with. He's just oozing with talent and it's even better live. I liked his defensive work this time as well. His ball control and speed was amazing, as was his assist on the game winner; Sontje Hansen's first goal.

• Sontje Hansen scored two goals. His second goal was every bit as nice as the first one:

• He found his teammates easily in the crowded areas near and in the box. Can sometimes play himself out of situations a little too cute, but overall a very strong game.
  • Kenneth Taylor had a strong game as well. Had two great pin point assists wasted by Hansen and Dostanic (who replaced the injured Brobbey). His goal was nice as well; a low, hard shot in the far corner from about 20 meters. Shot it with his weak foot, though he doesn't really has a weaker foot.
  • Devyne Rensch was solid and scored the opener. I just missed it.
  • Nordin Musampa caught my eye at the back this time. Had a little weak moment together with Rensch on the Feyenoord goal. I think both acted a little too soft there and had a little miscommunication, but Musampa played himself out of pressured situations extremely well.
  • Reiziger (GK) looked shaky.
  • Azarkan (Feyenoord) was a major threat. His speed, agility and technique was a pain to play against.
  • Salah-Eddine wasn't involved offensively a lot (had to stay alert defensively with Azarkan's speed). The few times he did, he always managed to pass his man provide a good cross.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Johan Gomez, 18 year old striker from the FC Dallas academy, signs with FC Porto. He scored a lot of goals last year in their U19 team. He has a chance to make it as a good footballer, but he's not a top level talent and the team already has an 18 year old and 16 year old at his position who are playing for the first team.

His younger brother Jonathan, however, is a mega-talent and Dallas is trying their absolute best to get him signed. The US isn't off the hook here easily either with Mexico inviting him to a recent U16 roster.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Matteo Guendouzi completely ran the show in the NLD today. As most people who have read my previous posts before, I am not a fan of him at all. I saw some of his usual errors today, but he displayed some flashes of brilliance I have seen before throughout the whole game for 90 minutes, doing almost everything right on and off the ball. A dominant midfield performance! It is clear playing a box to box role further up the pitch where he does not have to think about controling things from deep suits him a lot for.

Last edited:
Reactions: robertmac43

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Celtic signed Jeremie Frimpong. Appeared on one of Ajacied lists. Is he a right back or a right winger?

Didn't see that one coming by. Good move by him though. City is a graveyard for young talents. The sooner he leaves, the better and Celtic seems like a great place to take the next step. Frimpong was used as a wingback for City, but he has all the offensive traits to be a successful winger. It just depends on the formation. He's a copy of Castillo, who just joined Ajax from Chelsea, they just play on opposite sides.

I do think Frimpong was a greater talent at 16. He hasn't been as impressive since.

Last edited:
Reactions: ecemleafs

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Ihattaren asked not to be included in the u21 call-up for the upcoming game so that he could 'focus on his decision' in terms of his NT future. Losing him to Morocco would be absolutely terrible. Obviously the Netherlands have enough talent to deal with it, but he might be the most talented player of his generation for the Dutch and it's frustrating to lose another player (like Ziyech) who played and learned all of their football in the Netherlands. Ziyech was a different case because he wanted to play for the Netherlands and was dicked around a bit (well done KNVB), but still. I know Evilo has complained about this in the past and I find it pretty valid.

At the same time I don't want players playing for the NT unless their hearts are in it. It should be an honor and a privilege to represent your country, especially one with the history of the Oranje. Oh well.

Who’s the last european ‘wonderkid’ of Morrocan/Algerian origin who chose to represent the country of origins lived up to the hype? I feel those kids are heavily influenced by their entourage. I fear Ihattaren will be another one who’ll waste away his talent due to external influence.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Who’s the last european ‘wonderkid’ of Morrocan/Algerian origin who chose to represent the country of origins lived up to the hype? I feel those kids are heavily influenced by their entourage. I fear Ihattaren will be another one who’ll waste away his talent due to external influence.

If he choses for Morocco, which seems like it, it will influence his career negatively, though I still think he'll be an awesome player. Morocco is already luring him with bonuses and free money and I bet that his entourage and family all want him to represent Morocco without really seeing the greater picture.

I know Ziyech opted for Morocco because he kept being ignored by Oranje. Danny Blind to be precise. He only made the pre-selections a few times. He chose Morocco because he was fed up and he has regretted it ever since. He won't ever say that, but you can just tell the way he acts when discussing the subject. It has made him less attractable for bigger European sides, I think, and might be a big reason why he still plays in Amsterdam, which I don't mind.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
If he choses for Morocco, which seems like it, it will influence his career negatively, though I still think he'll be an awesome player. Morocco is already luring him with bonuses and free money and I bet that his entourage and family all want him to represent Morocco without really seeing the greater picture.

I know Ziyech opted for Morocco because he kept being ignored by Oranje. Danny Blind to be precise. He only made the pre-selections a few times. He chose Morocco because he was fed up and he has regretted it ever since. He won't ever say that, but you can just tell the way he acts when discussing the subject. It has made him less attractable for bigger European sides, I think, and might be a big reason why he still plays in Amsterdam, which I don't mind.
I never understand that with teams. It shouldn’t matter where a player is from/what country they represent. If they’re a good player and fill a need then you should sign them. I think it’s something a lot of teams struggle with. It’s like hey we have a chance to sign a French player that has 3 caps or an Armenian player with 53 caps. They see the French player as better and the Armenian player as worse just because of the differences in international exposure. (You can replace France with any big national team and Armenian with any small national team). This is how you get Harry Maguire going for more than Kostas Manolas or Christian Pulisic going for more than Julian Brandt.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
I never understand that with teams. It shouldn’t matter where a player is from/what country they represent. If they’re a good player and fill a need then you should sign them. I think it’s something a lot of teams struggle with. It’s like hey we have a chance to sign a French player that has 3 caps or an Armenian player with 53 caps. They see the French player as better and the Armenian player as worse just because of the differences in international exposure. (You can replace France with any big national team and Armenian with any small national team). This is how you get Harry Maguire going for more than Kostas Manolas or Christian Pulisic going for more than Julian Brandt.

It doesn't, but when it concerns players outside the EU, there are some things that might influence a possible buy. Players outside the EU are a bit less attractive since clubs are not allowed to play with too many. I know La Liga teams can only have 3 in its entire selection. Then there are tournaments such as the Africa Cup, which, unlike the EC and WC, is played during the season. It's also a less attractive big stage than the EC and WC. If you impress there, you pretty much can chose the teams you want to go to. Impress during the Africa Cup and you barely get any recognition.

Reactions: Gecklund

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013

I don't disagree with you, but I think it has more to do with the marketing potential for players from certain countries making them more attractive to clubs (i.e. Pulisic, Chicharito, etc).

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Some of this is stupid archaic thinking, but some is also about where clubs choose to focus their resources. There are limitations on just how thoroughly you can scout every single nation's pro- & youth-leagues. So teams trying to get ahead of the market, to find better bargains, will cluster their efforts in different areas as the talent level fluctuates and the market shifts. The latter being especially irksome for a more financially limited club, like BMG...who's scouting staff seems to have a pill-pushing shadow arriving not too long after them, whenever they identify a new value-hotbed to set up shop in.

Reactions: bluesfan94

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006

This isn't really an example of what you're saying Brandt is from a bigger country than Pulisic. Although I don't disagree with what you're saying. That example is off though.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
It’s also not a good comparison because Brandt being undervalued doesn’t make Pulisic overvalued. Pulisic is properly valued. Brandt was undervalued.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
It’s also not a good comparison because Brandt being undervalued doesn’t make Pulisic overvalued. Pulisic is properly valued. Brandt was undervalued.
Pulisic was way over valued.
This isn't really an example of what you're saying Brandt is from a bigger country than Pulisic. Although I don't disagree with what you're saying. That example is off though.
I more of meant it as an example of the marketing aspect instead of just the country. Chelsea could have bought Brandt and been in a better position but they bought Pulisic (who I love by the way) who is worse for 3x the amount of money.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Remember this name : Rayan Cherki from Lyon.

I know we already discussed this prospect before but I just saw some highlights of recent games and his audacity and ability to pull some of the hardest moves so easily in actual games let me think he could become another top worldclass player for France.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Remember this name : Rayan Cherki from Lyon.

I know we already discussed this prospect before but I just saw some highlights of recent games and his audacity and ability to pull some of the hardest moves so easily in actual games let me think he could become another top worldclass player for France.

Evilo says he's the best prospect of his generation so yeah he's one to watch

Reactions: Cassano

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Evilo says he's the best prospect of his generation so yeah he's one to watch

Best of his French generation perhaps. It's nearly impossible to claim any U17 talent to be the best in the world. They all compete at so many different levels. Anyone who does needs to put down the homer goggles.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad