HF Habs: So who would you like Habs to draft @ 15?

So which would you draft at 15?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
I would love to get another top 20 pick....there’s some pretty interesting players.

Caufield I think will be available and has the scoring touch we need, and we could draft the best LHD available with a second pick.

Reactions: Redux91

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Below, the 15th picks history (average or studs). From the 1979 entry until now. Up to you TT.

-McCrimmon (1979)
-MacInnis (1981)
-Errey (1983)
-Pederson (1986)
-Sakic (1987)
-Kovalev (1991)
-Lindgren (1993)
-Zubrus (1995)

-Nilsson (2003)
-Radulov (2004)
-Karlsson (2008)
-Holland (2009)
-Forbort (2010)
-JT Miller (2011)
-Ceci (2012)
-Pulock (2013)
-Larkin (2014)
-Senyshyn (2015)
-Kunin (2016)
-Brannstrom (2017)
-Denisenko (2018)

History is telling us to pick a russian forward

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I'm not sure why so many are high on Newhook. The BCHL isn't a great league, awful for development and its not hard to standout in it. I watched a bit of the finals against Prince George when I was in Victoria, he was shut down against a heavy hitting, fast team, like the Spruce Kings. I would be really scared to draft out of there, it rarely pans out.

Reactions: The Little Viking

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I'm not sure why so many are high on Newhook. The BCHL isn't a great league, awful for development and its not hard to standout in it. I watched a bit of the finals against Prince George when I was in Victoria, he was shut down against a heavy hitting, fast team, like the Spruce Kings. I would be really scared to draft out of there, it rarely pans out.

He had 6 points in 4 games against PG, and at least one point in every game. 3 games into the finals, Alex Newhook is still the playoff scoring leader lol.

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
He had 6 points in 4 games against PG, and at least one point in every game. 3 games into the finals, Alex Newhook is still the playoff scoring leader lol.

He never scored till the last game, he was mostly invisible. Anyways, just my opinion, I don't find the BCHL a very strong league.

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
Can you really develop offensive IQ or hockey IQ? Isn't that something that is innate and particular to each player -- you either have it or you don't?

Interesting.

I was just wondering about aspects of a player's game that can be developed, or, come to the fore through maturity.

A forward who doesn't go to the dirty areas at 18, might well wisen up and realize it's essential and add that element later on.

Just an example, but it seems incredibly tough to read all future avenues for prospects.

Interviews are important, but you can bet some kids are tough to read in interviews, too.

My bla-bla (thinking out loud) aside, thanks for raising a cool point.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
He never scored till the last game, he was mostly invisible. Anyways, just my opinion, I don't find the BCHL a very strong league.

He didn't score until he did, got it.

The BCHL is a Jr. A league, but all junior leagues are still junior leagues. All that production should be contextualized, not just Alex's.

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
He didn't score until he did, got it.

The BCHL is a Jr. A league, but all junior leagues are still junior leagues. All that production should be contextualized, not just Alex's.

There is a reason the BCHL rarely produces talent, that's all I'm saying.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

Well, it competes with the CHL, where traditionally the best Canadian talent tend to go to over the NCAA. Jamie Benn, Kerfoot, Jost and Keith are BCHL alumni (though Keith was drafted out of the NCAA the following year). But, if we go by that logic, teams wouldnt draft kids out of US high schools either. Doubt Timmins regrets picking McDonagh though.

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006

But Brett Hull and Paul Kariya! I saw Kariya own the Chilliwack Coliseum once or twice many moons ago. :laugh:

Reactions: Habs

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
Well, it competes with the CHL, where traditionally the best Canadian talent tend to go to over the NCAA. Jamie Benn, Kerfoot, Jost and Keith are BCHL alumni (though Keith was drafted out of the NCAA the following year). But, if we go by that logic, teams wouldnt draft kids out of US high schools either. Doubt Timmins regrets picking McDonagh though.

It doesn't compete with the CHL at all. The BCHL has a lot of 19yr olds that never made the WHL and are hoping for scholorships. The hockey is 'ok' but its 5 steps down from the WHL, on any given night.

Its a great way to get into university, and a really good move for most kids that can't quite get to the WHL

greyboy67

Feb 11, 2004
Looked back at recent drafts for cost to move up (picks swaps only no expansion stuff or salary dump):

cost was 80 to move back 1 slot from 11 to 12, and 20 plus 53 to move up 4 spots to 16.

so my guess is to move from 15 to lets say 11, price would be 15 and 46 (or 50)

Currently, Philadelphia is at #11. If Caufield is still around he should be the pick. IMO, the Habs can fix the blue line with current prospects, trade or free agency.

Mandala

Dec 7, 2006
I would not choose a goalie or a defenseman with a first round pick. Go with talented forward or a go for an home run.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
It doesn't compete with the CHL at all. The BCHL has a lot of 19yr olds that never made the WHL and are hoping for scholorships. The hockey is 'ok' but its 5 steps down from the WHL, on any given night.

Its a great way to get into university, and a really good move for most kids that can't quite get to the WHL

I dont think you understood what I meant. It competes for players with the CHL. That's where, traditionally, all the elite canadian youth will play. What remains are the players who, for any reason, favor going into the NCAA, which is a minority. However, I'm not sure theres much indication that for an elite youth with legitimate NHL potential that going to the BCHL negatively impacts his development. If it does, its easily offset by how good the NCAA programs are. So, that's why there aren't that many BCHL alumni (actually, there are about 30, which is a lot for a junior A league), but also why the few potential players that choose it like Keiths, Benns and Josts still make the NHL. Its also why teams can draft from US high school hockey and turn those picks into NHLers.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
I dont think you understood what I meant. It competes for players with the CHL. That's where, traditionally, all the elite canadian youth will play. What remains are the players who, for any reason, favor going into the NCAA, which is a minority. However, I'm not sure theres much indication that for an elite youth with legitimate NHL potential that going to the BCHL negatively impacts his development. If it does, its easily offset by how good the NCAA programs are. So, that's why there aren't that many BCHL alumni (actually, there are about 30, which is a lot for a junior A league), but also why the few potential players that choose it like Keiths, Benns and Josts still make the NHL. Its also why teams can draft from US high school hockey and turn those picks into NHLers.

We can make as many excuses as you want for why the BCHL doesn't churn out a ton of memorable hockey players. Yes the cream of the crop will always rise, I just do not see it with this kid. I never liked Jost either, I thought his last year in Penticton was totally overblown. He's done ok, so I've been wrong before.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal

Classic Habs and his classic glass half empty approach

He could easily be playing in a different league, could easily be playing in the WHL, he's in the BCHL by choice, not because he cant "crack the WHL", and IF he dominated there, which who knows, he very well could have, then he probably projects to go top 10 and higher
So then, at 15 if he fell to us, would you not take him then?

Reactions: antoniojr

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
Sign Duchene, draft Caufield and in a few years we have:

Drouin - Duchene - Gallagher
Domi - Kotkaniemi - Suzuki
Poehling - Danault - Caufield
Lehkonen - Evans - Shaw/Byron/Armia

Mete - Weber
Romanov - Brook
Fleury/Harris - Juulsen

Price
Primeau

Thats a crazy talented team

That defense is still not good enough imo. I'd move Poehling to center and package Danault for an LD.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
I don't know these prospective draftees. Ideally, Timmins will find another Larry Robinson with the 15th pick (if Bergevin doesn't trade to move higher).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad