HF Habs: So who would you like Habs to draft @ 15?

So which would you draft at 15?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Scratching the first 9 off my list since no chance we’ll get a sniff. However, your 10, 11 and 12 are the same order for me.

Basically, my 5 at 15 are: Dorofeyev, Newhook, Heinola, Caufield and Soderstrom. Hopefully we got a shot at one of them.
That wasn't in order, just off the top of my head groupings.

You never know who will fall this draft is really up in the air, thats why I'd rather list anyone (Obviously, Hughes, Kakko, Dach, Byram, Turcotte will not fall past the 10th pick, or even 4, as I think theyre pretty clearly the 5 best prospect in the draft and it's not really close.). A team could like York, Kaliyev, Caufield, Brink, Krebs (Really likely), Soderstrom, heck, even Poulin or Knight. It will happen, it happened last year with Hayton, it happened in 2017 with Andersson, 2016 was up in the air too after a certain grouping. Were getting something exciting, I just hope they don't shoot themselves in the foot with a reach off the board or a boring pick like Lavoie, Seider or something. Even then, Seider is a really good prospect and a kid I know will make the NHL, so I wouldn't 100% be mad, but he's not what Id look at.

PavelBrendl

Jul 9, 2013
Dorofeyev is getting a lot of hype. I haven't seem him play at all. How does he compare to Shafigullin who put up slightly better numbers in the same league in his draft year, but was taken late in the third round?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I'm behind on my reading of the draft thread.

Was wondering if there was another tier before the Habs's 15th slot?
It's up in the air as far as consensus. You have a grouping of guys like Kaliyev, York, McMichael, Harley, Dorofeyev, Newhook, Caufield, Seider, Poulin, Lavoie, Suzuki, Broberg, Brink, Knight and Heinola all getting looks there by different people. Personally, I think there's two very distinct group, one of which is made of of bluechippers of different quality (Ranging from Hughes to Boldy/Zegras type.) and another group that is really near blue chipper quality but not exactly there (Brink, Poulin, Caufield, Soderstrom.)

Reactions: Runner77

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Dorofeyev is getting a lot of hype. I haven't seem him play at all. How does he compare to Shafigullin who put up slightly better numbers in the same league in his draft year, but was taken late in the third round?
Slightly better numbers ?

Shafigulin was 1.33 PPG in the MHL and Dorofeyev more or less destroyed his competititon at 1.7 ppg, they also both put up two points in the KHL but Dorofeyev did it in 8 les games. Bulat is obviously a really good player, but he doesn't even come close to comparing in playing style and talent to Dorofeyev.

PavelBrendl

Jul 9, 2013
Slightly better numbers ?

Shafigulin was 1.33 PPG in the MHL and Dorofeyev more or less destroyed his competititon at 1.7 ppg, they also both put up two points in the KHL but Dorofeyev did it in 8 les games. Bulat is obviously a really good player, but he doesn't even come close to comparing in playing style and talent to Dorofeyev.

Shafigullin put up 1.66 pt/game last year.
Dorofeyev put up 1.63 pt/game this year.
Not sure where you're getting your numbers.

What about Dorofeyev's game this year is so much more impressive than Shafigullin's last year? Asking because the numbers are so similar but I haven't seen them play. Why was Shafigullin never touted as a possible 1st-rounder, but Dorofeyev is?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Shafigullin put up 1.66 pt/game last year.
Dorofeyev put up 1.63 pt/game this year.
Not sure where you're getting your numbers.

What about Dorofeyev's game this year is so much more impressive than Shafigullin's last year? Asking because the numbers are so similar but I haven't seen them play. Why was Shafigullin never touted as a possible 1st-rounder, but Dorofeyev is?
Oh my fault, I was using 18-19. Lol.

Dorofeyev has shown better at the KHL level though, thats what I can say. And whenever he has the puck, he plays the role of a real catalyst much more than Shafigulin who likes to snipe it more than not, but can still dish it. I'm thinking that Dorofeyev doesn't go top 15, unless a team really likes him. The MHL is tough to judge too, as not all player usage is the same.

Dorofeyev is just more talented, similar level goalscorer, but much better playmaker, skater, puckhandler and hes a workhorse in corners.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Pretty similar in that theyre both really bad prospects.

I've heard he's got weaknesses in his game. About the same as what I've heard about all other prospects in the 15-20 range. What makes him so much worse than some of the others? I'm seeing mostly positive things said about Broberg.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I've heard he's got weaknesses in his game. About the same as what I've heard about all other prospects in the 15-20 range. What makes him so much worse than some of the others? I'm seeing mostly positive things said about Broberg.
He's dumb, all physical. He's Drouin, but at D. Although hes fine defensively. There's much better player in the first and there's better value in the 2nd. Let another team worry about making something out of him, he's a hard case.

Reactions: Milhouse40

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
He's dumb, all physical. He's Drouin, but at D. Although hes fine defensively. There's much better player in the first and there's better value in the 2nd. Let another team worry about making something out of him, he's a hard case.

Fair enough, though I think that's the first time I've seen Drouin described as "all physical" :laugh:

From the little I've seen, youtube and other videos. He looks like a great skater, with a good shot. As you mentioned, he's also showed me he's quite talented on the defensive side. Would a fair comparison be a more defensive Beaulieu?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Fair enough, though I think that's the first time I've seen Drouin described as "all physical" :laugh:

From the little I've seen, youtube and other videos. He looks like a great skater, with a good shot. As you mentioned, he's also showed me he's quite talented on the defensive side. Would a fair comparison be a more defensive Beaulieu?
In the sense that he's all physical tool. Skating, hands, etc. Very little brain.

I don't know about the Beaulieu thing. I think what killed Beaulieu, more so than a lack of "iq" is a lack of a shot. Broberg has that, though not elite. Beaulieu, IMO, wasn't a dumb offensive player, he knew what to do with the puck, but they never tried to develop his defensive defiencies and he couldn't shoot. Broberg usually doesn't know what to do with the puck. He'll either skate himself out of a chance, or he'll skate himself between three defenders and lose the puck there.

He's similar to Kaliyev to me, if you pick him, you understand that you pick a toolbox and you need to develop him, I don't trust this team at all to do this.

You know, kinda like buying that old piece of steel and turning it into a proper classic car with your craftmanship... MB ain't no craftman.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
I'm behind on my reading of the draft thread.

Was wondering if there was another tier before the Habs's 15th slot?

Atm for me, York/Heinola/Krebs. We still have the U18's coming so i still have to watch more of the EU prospects in particular.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Sign Duchene, draft Caufield and in a few years we have:

Drouin - Duchene - Gallagher
Domi - Kotkaniemi - Suzuki
Poehling - Danault - Caufield
Lehkonen - Evans - Shaw/Byron/Armia

Mete - Weber
Romanov - Brook
Fleury/Harris - Juulsen

Price
Primeau

Thats a crazy talented team

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Mete - Weber
Romanov - Brook
Fleury/Harris - Juulsen

Price
Primeau

Thats a crazy talented team
And in a few years we have one of the most talented goalscorer ever ont he third line playing with Danault and Ryan Poehling on the wing of Danault. Makes sense.

greyboy67

Feb 11, 2004
Can't see the Canadiens staying at #15.

Since 2000, their track record picking between #11 and #20 is lackluster: Marcel Hossa, Kyle Chipchura, David Fischer, Louis LeBlanc, Nathan Beaulieu, etc. Their only great blue line pick in this range was Ryan McDonagh (#12 in 2007) and we all know what happened to him.

I would like to see them trade up—maybe catch Caufield or Soderstrom if either of them fall out of the top ten. If that strategy doesn’t pan out, maybe they should go in the other direction and add to their stockpile of picks.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

The statistical argument for Dorofeyev isn't a very strong one, the way it was for, say, Kravtsov. Kravtsov had the best draft eligible KHL playoffs ever. Actually it was the best U19 KHL playoffs* ever. Whereas Dorofeyev's KHL performance, statistically, doesn't make his case for him. It's also hard to make a case based on MHL statistics, because it's a relatively new league and there are a lot of, shall we call them, outliers. He did lead the MHL in U19 PPG and scored almost 1 goal per game but again, that's not compelling on its own.

I'm his biggest fan and it's based almost purely on the eye test of his KHL and MHL performances. It's just not every day you see a player like this.

*edit

Last edited:
Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

greyboy67

Feb 11, 2004

Mete - Weber
Romanov - Brook
Fleury/Harris - Juulsen

Price
Primeau

That's a crazy talented team

I like where you're headed but you're got 5 centers (Duchene, Domi, KK, Poehling and Danault) on 3 lines. ;)

If Montreal signs Duchene, one or two of those pivots will be traded for other assets. (And yes, Domi could move to a wing.)

If you're talking about 3 years away, there will also be cap restrictions. Duchene won't come cheap and Gallagher and Danault are free agents in 2021. It's also highly doubtful Shaw, Byron and Armia would still be with the team.

But whatever happens, there is going to be a youngful core to build around—Domi, KK, Poehling, Mete, Ylonen, Brook, Primeau, Suzuki, etc.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I have not seen him play either. Watch the video when they are at their best and determine for yourself

habsfan92

Jun 5, 2005
winnipeg
Right now, 100% Newhook.
Don't want a d-man at 15 (better ones will be gone by then). Need someone to drive offense ~like Gaudreau. Would be nice to have a Hab in the top 10 in scoring, since??? Turgeon? Damphousse? Yikes!

Reactions: greyboy67

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009

Since 2000, their track record picking between #11 and #20 is lackluster: Marcel Hossa, Kyle Chipchura, David Fischer, Louis LeBlanc, Nathan Beaulieu, etc. Their only great blue line pick in this range was Ryan McDonagh (#12 in 2007) and we all know what happened to him.

I would like to see them trade up—maybe catch Caufield or Soderstrom if either of them fall out of the top ten. If that strategy doesn’t pan out, maybe they should go in the other direction and add to their stockpile of picks.

Looked back at recent drafts for cost to move up (picks swaps only no expansion stuff or salary dump):

cost was 80 to move back 1 slot from 11 to 12, and 20 plus 53 to move up 4 spots to 16.

so my guess is to move from 15 to lets say 11, price would be 15 and 46 (or 50)

Reactions: greyboy67

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Cherry picked.

Inversely, Tmmins has never picked a bust in the top 15, the worst player being Andrei.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->