HF Habs: So who would you like Habs to draft @ 15?

So which would you draft at 15?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
What's the downside on Philip Broberg again?

I'd go for Broberg, Newhook, Caufield or Heinola. Can Zegras fall?

His main knock is his offensive upside. He needs some development in his offensive IQ and creating offense. He has some great physical tools, but it hasn’t translated to this area yet. I would personally consider Heinola before Broberg, though there are players I like more than both.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
His main knock is his offensive upside. He needs some development in his offensive IQ and creating offense. He has some great physical tools, but it hasn’t translated to this area yet. I would personally consider Heinola before Broberg, though there are players I like more than both.

I think Broberg is similar to Lavoie. Stock values that have slipped and buyer beware. Not saying they will bust cause I do like their games but their may be better picks who have higher ceilings and their stock values are increasing, not decreasing heading into the draft.

Reactions: sandviper

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
It's really too bad that Soderstrom is a RHD. It seems that most view him as better than Broberg, but I really don't see us drafting a RHD.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Heinola seems like a safe bet to become a top 4 D, but how likely is it that he becomes a top pairing defenseman?

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Continuing the long lost tradition of the Latendresse brothers and the Kostitsyn brothers.

Remember when we were gonna draft all the Subban brothers?

I think it's genuinely best to not have family on the same team, what do you wanna do when Nick is a star but his stupid brother won't get his hands dirty and you scratch him?
i used to like both Peter and Frank Mahovlich when they were playing with us

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Can you really develop offensive IQ or hockey IQ? Isn't that something that is innate and particular to each player -- you either have it or you don't?

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Below, the 15th picks history (average or studs). From the 1979 entry until now. Up to you TT.

-McCrimmon (1979)
-MacInnis (1981)
-Errey (1983)
-Pederson (1986)
-Sakic (1987)
-Kovalev (1991)
-Lindgren (1993)
-Zubrus (1995)

-Nilsson (2003)
-Radulov (2004)
-Karlsson (2008)
-Holland (2009)
-Forbort (2010)
-JT Miller (2011)
-Ceci (2012)
-Pulock (2013)
-Larkin (2014)
-Senyshyn (2015)
-Kunin (2016)
-Brannstrom (2017)
-Denisenko (2018)

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Zegras won't fall to 15, he's too good of an all around player. He's an NHL GMs wet dream.

The USDP is filled with super studs this year..

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Can you really develop offensive IQ or hockey IQ? Isn't that something that is innate and particular to each player -- you either have it or you don't?

I’ve never coached that level, but as a coach at a youth level in multiple sports, and a student at heart, I do believe hockey IQ, like any skill, can be developed.

Now, will he ever develop into Karlsson level offensive instincts? I think that is doubtful. I won’t deny IQ is somewhat innate and yeah, you have it or you don’t, at least when it comes to having this at an elite level.

Just as Mete will never have Weber’s shot, he can probably get it better than it is now. While IQ isn’t as tangible in terms of measurement, Broberg can, with coaching, improve his decision making if that is something all parties agree upon.

I do believe people will hit ceilings. He’s really still a kid though so I don’t think he’s done developing in all areas.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I'd be thrilled with
Hughes, Kakko, Turcotte, Byram, Dach, Cozens, Boldy, Zegras, Podkolzin, Dorofeyev, Newhook, Heinola (12 players.)

I will be happy (Unless we pass on any of those above for.) with Poulin, McMichael, Soderstrom, Brink, Krebs, Caufield,

I will be mad as f*** at anything else. Maybe I'll add Harley to the 2nd group, I doubt it.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Trade Turtle Tatar, Lady Gallagher and No Show Danault and the first rounder for McKinnon. Uniting him with Drouin would provide great offensive upside.
Drouin is a ***** and all three of those players are supperior to him when it comes to playing the game of hockey I hope this is a sarcastic post

Reactions: PKCowboysOwn

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
I think if we're after a high end guy the best "bang for your buck" player (value prospect, stock might not be as high due to how much he played this year) would be Turcotte. I still expect him to get pick within the first ~7-8 picks but if he ends up falling a few spots he'd definitely be someone that i'd trade up for.

Tbh i'd even trade up to 7-8 to pick him. Don't think we have a shot at Byram.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I think if we're after a high end guy the best "bang for your buck" player would be Turcotte. I still expect him to get pick within the first ~7-8 picks but if he ends up falling a few spots he'd definitely be someone that i'd trade up for.

Tbh i'd even trade up to 7-8 to pick him. Don't think we have a shot at Byram.
Turcotte is going top 3 lol

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
How similar are Juolevi and Broberg?

I don’t know enough about them to say but they seem very similar on paper.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I'd be thrilled with
Hughes, Kakko, Turcotte, Byram, Dach, Cozens, Boldy, Zegras, Podkolzin, Dorofeyev, Newhook, Heinola (12 players.)

I will be happy (Unless we pass on any of those above for.) with Poulin, McMichael, Soderstrom, Brink, Krebs, Caufield,

I will be mad as **** at anything else. Maybe I'll add Harley to the 2nd group, I doubt it.

Scratching the first 9 off my list since no chance we’ll get a sniff. However, your 10, 11 and 12 are the same order for me.

Basically, my 5 at 15 are: Dorofeyev, Newhook, Heinola, Caufield and Soderstrom. Hopefully we got a shot at one of them.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Really depends, I have Byram/Cozens/Zegras/Turcotte ranked very high so if one of them slipped that's when i'd start looking into moving up. I have Newhook at 10 but I really have no idea how it'll play out on draft day.

Tier list (top 10):

Hughes/Kakko/Byram - Tier 1
Cozens/Turcotte/Zegras/Dach- Tier 2
Podkolzin/Boldy/Newhook - Tier 3

I'm behind on my reading of the draft thread.

Was wondering if there was another tier before the Habs's 15th slot?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad