So what's wrong with the room?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
Ehlers icetime have decreased every year he's playing under Maurice. If Maurice isn't fired they will want out.

I personally think the real reason is that Wheeler, Scheifele and Buff control the room and Maurice is just their lackey. Young guys Trouba, Ehlers, Laine and Connor hate that. I would love Laine and Connor hard ball soft-Chevy.

Yeah, the problem with a hands off coach and a player-lead room is that when other players start having concerns, they have to resent their teammates instead of a coach. Makes the coaches life a little easier maybe, but it's not better for the team.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
I hold Wheeler's statement after game 2 a lot more against him than the one from last night. He was obviously emotional as everyone could see and disappointed and it was right after the game. Sure it's not the best thing to say but as said, I think saying "we have zero worries about going to St. Louis" after playing shit for most parts in front of your oh so beloved home town fans is worse. It wasn't an emotional moment, he knew he would have to say something to the press. It still bothers me honestly. Especially if you know think about the fact that they have lost all 3 games at home and never even really looked convincing enough to win it in one of those games. They just didn't play with the same confidence and pride they did last year.

jetsfan15

Jul 17, 2016
I don’t really get this lockeroom issue gossip. Other than that one article a couple weeks ago in the Free Press (which lacked any real specificity, quite frankly... the only concrete example given was Buff being angry about Trouba staying on the PP for the full 2 mins... give me a break, now the whole lockeroom is broken?).... has there been any actual accounts of other issues?

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
Everyone can take this for what it's worth. But I have been told by someone I would deem a pretty relatable source, that there is a rift between Scheifele & wheeler and the rest of the roster.
Withbthe play of Scheifele and wheeler for the last few months, and the width trade for Hendricks.... it makes more and more sense.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Even still, I think some tact would of been a good thing. Telling a reporter to F off is not the way to go IMO

Sure, tact is always a better avenue. Politicians are practiced at dispensing tact and patience.

The vast number of hockey players I've seen? - not so much, they tend to cuss. Obviously disappointed hockey players cussing?

Some of us expect these guys to be angels, while at the same time expecting them to be fearless warriors. An obvious conundrum. We can sniff, and look askance and make statements about etiquette, but please.

Much has been said about Wheels, but I guess when you are a guy who owns it, knows the media knows that he owns it, its not easy to turn off the battle emotions when faced with insipid, leading questions. And this, by a person who has just risen from his padded perch and lobbed **yet another** brainless softball. Perhaps if the questions were an order of magnitude less vapid, it could be answered without obvious scorn and anger. When seen in that light, its not so easy to expect these guys to be a smooth and polite interview.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
A bunch of the young guys shit the bed for most of the season and if they feel they have been wronged some how then I think it is time to move one or two of them because that is the sense of entitlement that I wouldn't want anywhere on my team.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
Everyone can take this for what it's worth. But I have been told by someone I would deem a pretty relatable source, that there is a rift between Scheifele & wheeler and the rest of the roster.
Withbthe play of Scheifele and wheeler for the last few months, and the width trade for Hendricks.... it makes more and more sense.

This situation makes me even more upset if Scheifele is one of the ones involved in creating the rift. What's odd is I don't consider him a vet, but yeah I guess he's been on the team now for quite a few years. I wonder where Lowry stands in all of this...

Reactions: amethyst

Keystone

Apr 30, 2011
Manitoba
Maybe Hayes will enlighten us all when he officially leaves as to whether it was a sh!t show of a room he walked into.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
This situation makes me even more upset if Scheifele is one of the ones involved in creating the rift. What's odd is I don't consider him a vet, but yeah I guess he's been on the team now for quite a few years. I wonder where Lowry stands in all of this...
I will be honest. When I heard this. The fi st thing I sad was "I expected this out of wheeler. Not Scheifele"

But us fans only know the players we see in the media and on the ice. We don't know them as a person.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
I guess Grandpa Hendricks didn't help. Would love to hear his honest opinion of the room. Because apparently things had gone to shit since his original departure.

Reactions: irunthepeg

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg

This kind of thing, if true, speaks more to off ice locker room leadership than anything. It's part of the leaders' job to help everybody feel included and bought in to what the coach is selling.

But these guys aren't trained management professionals. They are hockey players.

Few young men have Toews calibre leadership. That's why he was so rare. And he even needed help from time to time.

Again, if this stuff is true, priority one is to fix this.

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
I will be honest. When I heard this. The fi st thing I sad was "I expected this out of wheeler. Not Scheifele"

But us fans only know the players we see in the media and on the ice. We don't know them as a person.
I recall hearing on TSN Overdrive, Matthias commentimg about how strict the Jets locker room team rules are that are enforced by the leadership. Talked about the team discussing dress code on the road. Some of the guys wanted to be able to wear jeans and a hat on their own time, but Wheels and Chef were having none of it and that new commers or younger guys were nervous about speaking up. Paraphrasing here but was interesting to hear.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
There are always cliques in dressing rooms not everyone will get along but you don't bring it onto the ice and I didn't see any evidence that the Jets did, they just didn't perform very well this year and that's on everybody. Having said that it will be interesting to see what moves if any are done this off season apart from Trouba who can not be a part of this team without a long term contract

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Can we please stop gossiping? I see enough of the celebrity junk all over the news I don't need it creeping into my hobbies as well. No one knows if there is a rift and no one is going to know either.

Disagree with your second point.
With Evander Kane there was a rift and we all found out about it eventually. If there is a rift again, an even bigger one, future events will shine a light on it to some degree at least.

Reactions: irunthepeg

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Just to clarify, are you saying there is conflict between Scheifele and Wheeler?

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018
There are always cliques in dressing rooms not everyone will get along but you don't bring it onto the ice and I didn't see any evidence that the Jets did, they just didn't perform very well this year and that's on everybody. Having said that it will be interesting to see what moves if any are done this off season apart from Trouba who can not be a part of this team without a long term contract

Cliques in the dressing room become a huge issue if you have a hands-off coach and some players are in charge of what other players can and can't do, or even how much or little icetime they get.

Agree with those who say you can't allow a room to lead itself. These guys aren't pro coaches and this just leads to resentment.

I didn't follow it closely, but I wonder if there are any similarities from Maurice's Carolina team that went from cup finals to last place in the league the following season. Again just speculation.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
I recall hearing on TSN Overdrive, Matthias commentimg about how strict the Jets locker room team rules are that are enforced by the leadership. Talked about the team discussing dress code on the road. Some of the guys wanted to be able to wear jeans and a hat on their own time, but Wheels and Chef were having none of it and that new commers or younger guys were nervous about speaking up. Paraphrasing here but was interesting to hear.
This is very interesting. Sounds like Wheeler is a tyrant. New HC will have to bring him back down to earth and maybe even take the C away.

Deedog99

Nov 22, 2016
Someone's gonna get an hf troll warning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad