So what's wrong with the room?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
There seems to be something very wrong with the dressing room right now. As to what that is, is pure speculation. There have some "warning signs" all year so I don't think it is unreasonable to surmise there might be some sort of issue.

Take this with a grain of salt: I recently spoke to someone at my work who is in a management position that knows someone within True North. He was told there was "in fighting" within the team. Don't know the details beyond this and I stress this is rumour/speculation. But if true, this is very disheartening to hear. I also heard some whispers regarding Ehlers' "Malaise" from last season which I will not get into details here.

So what's wrong? We will probably never know. Here are some possible "clues" thats something is "off" with the team that I have thought of or others may have Brought to attention in the past. Lets examine:

1. Players Only meeting late in the season.
This one probably has the most validity that there is some issue with the team. When such a meeting happens it (usually) means there something very wrong in the room

2. Wheeler/Chairot altercation in practice. Could this be a symptom of something bigger?

3. Wheeler saying the team "gave up" in a post game scrum earlier this year.
Hearing this was bad enough. What was more telling was Maurice unhappy this was said and saying this will be "dealt with" is not a good sign either

4. Buff running the show
This is not new. Buff has been sulking when he's not on PP1 or OT. There could be some friction here with the team and or coaching staff

5. Laine Favouritism
I don't think I buy this but there has been a theory that Laine has been coddled causing other players to think they are being held back.

Edit: 6. Trouba situation causing friction

What is surprising to me is that it has always seemed the Jets were a close knit team. Remember 2 years ago when everyone shook hands after every win? Why did they stop that? Wheeler has also said quite unsolicitedly that Maurice is the best coach he has had in his life. So obviously there is love for Maurice.

So what gives?

Last edited:

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm not sure it's a case of anything being wrong in the room. There is only a few degrees of separation between all teams in the league. Evidence is that of teams like Tampa, Pittsburgh, Calgary and Winnipeg being eliminated in the first round and possibly Nashville joining them soon. The Jets are still a very good team in a very competitive league.

:jets

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
as an outsider, i'll give my opinion. the dressing room stuff, is something we hear in all teams. not everyone is going to get along. but they are professionals, and managers/coaches should be able to handle this stuff.

anyways, the jets are supremely talented with so much depth, but the injuries to the likes of buff and morrissey hindered the team all year. i don't think these two were 100% for the playoffs. i mean josh only played like 17 mins in the playoffs, kind of crazy for a kid who was so good when healthy. buff was much better than morrissey, but i don't think he was at his best.

as for the forwards, laine and ehlers really struggled...these two not even being at half their best was a major detriment to the team. i think you guys bounce back as these 2 should. fortnite has died over the past few months, so yay.

one thing i'm worried about, is the inconsistency of hellebuyck. i'd like to see more from broissoit next year...

oh, and fire maurice.

good luck in the offseason.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Ehlers "malaise" last season was clearly and obviously concussion symptoms for anyone who was closely following the non-game coverage of the Jets.

Reactions: Hank Chinaski

jetsfan15

Jul 17, 2016
The only negative vibe I get is the one that surrounds Trouba. That gets sorted out shortly.

Yeah it seems Trouba isn’t fitting in, and he also doesn’t seem to want to be here. All signs point to him getting traded at the draft, especially with the Jets’ inevitable cap issues. It will not be surprising if he gets traded in June.

Reactions: amethyst

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
I'm not trying to add any fuel to the fire but I've always hated that players that go to college can use that UFA loophole and it did always make me think Wheeler is the type of guy who has to have his way, but I mean who doesn't want their way most of the time.

I get being frustrated after a loss in a playoff series but c'mon, Blake, you're the captain and you have to be the guy willing to step up and talk to the reporters now.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Not worth much. Don't put too much weight into what this guy says, he has been throwing a twitter tantrum for months since Laine started to struggle, blaming everyone for Laine's struggle. He is a toned down version of Aavgard with better English.
thnx for the background context

Reactions: purdy44
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->