So what's wrong with the room?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Wheeler apologize? That'll be the day. He's the most arrogant of captains I've seen. I don't question his effort on the ice generally, but what we've seen consistently otherwise is different. What Captain has a fist fight with one of his teammates. Do that in your workplace with a subordinate. Yikes.

Not saying that he will, but he has apologized to reporters in scrums before for similar actions on his part.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
I recall hearing on TSN Overdrive, Matthias commentimg about how strict the Jets locker room team rules are that are enforced by the leadership. Talked about the team discussing dress code on the road. Some of the guys wanted to be able to wear jeans and a hat on their own time, but Wheels and Chef were having none of it and that new commers or younger guys were nervous about speaking up. Paraphrasing here but was interesting to hear.

The nanny state of captains. It would be really annoying to have that kind of nitpicking leadership.

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Only heard about the locker room rift one degree removed so who knows... I will say, it wouldn't surprise me considering Scheif and Wheels have been immovable objects regardless of how poor they have preformed and the same 3-4 players get demoted at every mistake.

If I'm part of Ehlers camp I'm asking him to wear tracksuits at every opportunity going forward though. I don't see a future for him on the Jets and hope Chevy does the right thing and trades him. Doesn't help the team or Ehlers to be paying 6mil for a player that hardly plays.

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
I recall hearing on TSN Overdrive, Matthias commentimg about how strict the Jets locker room team rules are that are enforced by the leadership. Talked about the team discussing dress code on the road. Some of the guys wanted to be able to wear jeans and a hat on their own time, but Wheels and Chef were having none of it and that new commers or younger guys were nervous about speaking up. Paraphrasing here but was interesting to hear.
Personally I'm fine with this.
Everyone makes 750k + a year. You guys are on business trips, not vacations.

If young guys are whining about that then I would have to side with Wheeler and Scheifele. The professionalism has to start at the tippy top and go all the way down to the healthy scratches

Reactions: irunthepeg

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Disagree with your second point.
With Evander Kane there was a rift and we all found out about it eventually. If there is a rift again, an even bigger one, future events will shine a light on it to some degree at least.

I'd say that past events have already shone a light on it to some degree, the locker room meeting being the overt one. I'd also say the team's frequent lacklustre and disjointed play can be attributed at least partially to lack of cohesion in the room, meaning the problem has appeared on the ice.

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles

If young guys are whining about that then I would have to side with Wheeler and Scheifele. The professionalism has to start at the tippy top and go all the way down to the healthy scratches

That's malarkey imo. No part of a hockey players job requires a suit. I could live with wearing it from the hotel to the arena but outside of that is ridiculous. Imagine if your manager told you to wear a suit after work was done. I'd tell him/her to f*** off.

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
That's malarkey imo. No part of a hockey players job requires a suit. I could live with wearing it from the hotel to the arena but outside of that is ridiculous. Imagine if your manager told you to wear a suit after work was done. I'd tell him/her to f*** off.
I literally wear a suit and tie every single day I'm on a business trip and so does everyone else I meet. This isn't uncommon practice. In the professional world it's expected, in fact

And I make 1/10th of that

This isn't just a game. This is major major business

DM81

Apr 21, 2019
The Maurice factor is the same as what was reported in the media prior to his 2nd firing in Carolina. He has "his guys" and treats them and the vets different from the youth. They are not held accountable for mistakes while the youth and the rest of the team get punished for the same mistakes.

TNSE needs a new coach and has to stop being so damn faithful to "their guys".

They also need to step up the entertainment value at a game. Its terribly boring for the time outside the actual game. Possibly one of the worst fan experiences. Who's plays the mash potato in 2019?

The fans are starting to speak with their $$$ and its impossible to sell tickets these days.....

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
I literally wear a suit and tie every single day I'm on a business trip and so does everyone else I meet. This isn't uncommon practice. In the professional world it's expected, in fact

And I make 1/10th of that

This isn't just a game. This is major major business

Industry matters imo. I work for one of the 20 largest corporations in the world and wear suits all the time as well. But we are talking about hockey. These guys aren't going on business trips where they sit down with a client to impress them. There is literally zero reason for them to wear a suit. The one place it makes sense is when they arrive to the arena because cameras are on them but outside of that it's super unnecessary. Salary has nothing to do with it. I know millionaires that wear flip flops on a daily basis. Doesn't make them worse at what they do.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014

What if they want to go to the beach when they're on the road? Suit and tie? How about golf? Suit and tie? Marlin fishing? Suit and tie (except Buff)? During their own time they aren't on a business trip, they're on their own time.

Reactions: Hobble

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
The fans are starting to speak with their $$$ and its impossible to sell tickets these days.....

I guess the pundits that claimed Winnipeg couldn't support the NHL long term were right then. Nothing is good enough for Winnipeg sports fans. Ship the team back to Atlanta and the hockey fans here can once again focus on the Moose.

:jets

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax

I'm fine with this as well to a degree. It was a while back that i heard it, would be interesting to listen to it again. I may be misremembering but i believe it was regarding them having to wear suits if leaving their room for any reason and Matthias commenting how much more strict it was compared to other teams around the leauge.

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
I'm fine with this as well to a degree. It was a while back that i heard it, would be interesting to listen to it again. I may be misremembering but i believe it was regarding them having to wear suits if leaving their room for any reason and Matthias commenting how much more strict it was compared to other teams around the leauge.

Today is the first I hear of this but if true, it seems very over the top.

BobEssensa

Jun 16, 2011
This thread.....

giphy.gif

DM81

Apr 21, 2019
I guess the pundits that claimed Winnipeg couldn't support the NHL long term were right then. Nothing is good enough for Winnipeg sports fans. Ship the team back to Atlanta and the hockey fans here can once again focus on the Moose.

:jets
Well, the prices have steadily increased but the entertainment value has decreased. The team is better which is the ultimate "good thing".

However, for the 3 hours I'm at a game, the 60 minutes of hockey are great but the other 2 hours have gotten worse every season.

We don't even have Plinko anymore!

Have some fun graphics! Have a sponsored power play with a bit of shade thrown at the other team! Have some better fan interactions! Have a better DJ and song rotation (A large majority of the fans want some more current music - or some pump up music) Play some replays of the close calls to amp up the fans...

All of these things cost little to no money for TNSE and all the items are already in place to facilitate them (Lights etc).

TNSE has given a worse fan experience every season and has even gone so far as to lower the quality of the hard liquor sold at games to save a few bucks. The items I listed above don't really cost anything of monetary value but would be a great payback to season tickets holders like myself.

Reactions: thed00d and Jedub

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I have heard things similar to whats being said and all of this - if true - makes the Hendricks trade make way, way more sense now (and almost like a good idea -in a 'oh man my house is on fire - i better buy a fire extinguisher right now!' type way).
I wonder if Hengrits is going to be offered a coaching position within the organization, when he retires.

Zippity

Feb 3, 2013
Well, the prices have steadily increased but the entertainment value has decreased. The team is better which is the ultimate "good thing".

However, for the 3 hours I'm at a game, the 60 minutes of hockey are great but the other 2 hours have gotten worse every season.

We don't even have Plinko anymore!

Have some fun graphics! Have a sponsored power play with a bit of shade thrown at the other team! Have some better fan interactions! Have a better DJ and song rotation (A large majority of the fans want some more current music - or some pump up music) Play some replays of the close calls to amp up the fans...

All of these things cost little to no money for TNSE and all the items are already in place to facilitate them (Lights etc).

TNSE has given a worse fan experience every season and has even gone so far as to lower the quality of the hard liquor sold at games to save a few bucks. The items I listed above don't really cost anything of monetary value but would be a great payback to season tickets holders like myself.
Are u missing the kisscam?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad