So... Let's talk Konecny

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
TK is still a work in progress, and he admits it.
Today, brutal turnover in the 1st period, and after Mrazek saved his bacon, you could see him thanking his goalie for covering his butt on his mindfart.

The raw talent is exceptional, the key is him not turning out like Voracek, where his screw ups negate too many great plays. Rather, turn out like a more talented version of Giroux (he'll never be a playmaker like G, but is faster and more physical, rather, just develop the ice sense to cut out a lot of the bad plays).
No one says he is a finished product. No one says he doesn't make mistakes. No one needs you to post this over and over and over.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Imagine watching Konecny play and only picking out things to cry about, meanwhile watching MacDonald play and only mentioning that he's our best shot blocker, no criticisms.

Think there's any bias there?

I think he's joking. Because ... how could he not be? Normally I would apologize for talking about someone as if they were not in the room, but he's out to lunch. Always.

ChiefWiggum

Dec 17, 2016
Newfoundland
Update: I havent been in the Flyers chatroom since I made this post and will proceed to eat my words.

With comparisons being drawn to Brad Marchand (i think more on playing style than actual effectiveness), Konecny's future is definitely very bright

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I think he's joking. Because ... how could he not be? Normally I would apologize for talking about someone as if they were not in the room, but he's out to lunch. Always.

If this is a joke then every post must be because this is right in line with everything else he says.

Every single player evaluation is a way to defend Hakstol.

The coach benched a legit top line winger simply because he’s a young guy? He must be too risky.

The coach double shifts a horrible vet? But he blocks shots!

It’s the most transparent and pathetic agenda I could imagine.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
TK is still a work in progress, and he admits it.
Today, brutal turnover in the 1st period, and after Mrazek saved his bacon, you could see him thanking his goalie for covering his butt on his mindfart.

The raw talent is exceptional, the key is him not turning out like Voracek, where his screw ups negate too many great plays. Rather, turn out like a more talented version of Giroux (he'll never be a playmaker like G, but is faster and more physical, rather, just develop the ice sense to cut out a lot of the bad plays).

Turning out like a guy who scored 60+ points in 4 (5 if you prorate the lockout year) of his last 6 seasons is a bad thing? More talented Giroux? There may be more players 'better' than Giroux, but there are only legit 5-10 players in the NHL as 'talented' as him. That's setting the bar very high.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Turning out like a guy who scored 60+ points in 4 (5 if you prorate the lockout year) of his last 6 seasons is a bad thing? More talented Giroux? There may be more players 'better' than Giroux, but there are only legit 5-10 players in the NHL as 'talented' as him. That's setting the bar very high.

That’s deadhead. Because he is spaced out of his f***ing mind on hallucinogenics 24/7.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Imagine watching Konecny play and only picking out things to cry about, meanwhile watching MacDonald play and only mentioning that he's our best shot blocker, no criticisms.

Think there's any bias there?

Yeah, I don't have any expectations for MacDonald, other than hopefully a trade with salary retained this summer.

Konecny has great offensive talent, but so does Voracek.
Face it, can you name a more frustrating Flyer player than Voracek?
I want to see Konecny take the next step, learn how to play under control, cut back on the mistakes, and improve his ice awareness (like eliminating the blind passes for turnovers).

Too many people equate scoring with great playing, there's a reason why certain players post 50-60 points a year and -25 +/- and xGF% < 50.
The top players not only score, they win games when they're not scoring by doing little things to help their team.
Which is why even though Giroux and Voracek have about the same amount of points, no one in their right mind thinks Voracek is as valuable as Giroux.

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
I remember seeing TK at rookie camp a few years back and thinking wow he's awesome but he's going to annoy so many people. He showboated at rookie camp, embarassing his colleagues. But hey, the squeaky wheel gets the oil. I enjoyed watching him then and had no doubt that once he was put along side players with any sort of offensive talent he would shine. And, he is.

Imagine if Hak properly used him to start the season.

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
Yeah, I don't have any expectations for MacDonald, other than hopefully a trade with salary retained this summer.

Konecny has great offensive talent, but so does Voracek.
Face it, can you name a more frustrating Flyer player than Voracek?
I want to see Konecny take the next step, learn how to play under control, cut back on the mistakes, and improve his ice awareness (like eliminating the blind passes for turnovers).

Too many people equate scoring with great playing, there's a reason why certain players post 50-60 points a year and -25 +/- and xGF% < 50.
The top players not only score, they win games when they're not scoring by doing little things to help their team.
Which is why even though Giroux and Voracek have about the same amount of points, no one in their right mind thinks Voracek is as valuable as Giroux.

I agree with you on something...OMG. Voracek frustrates the hell out of me. Sometimes I feel frustrated enough that I try to imagine what he would return in a trade.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Actually, you have that ass backwards, "
There may be more players 'more talented' than Giroux, but there are only legit 5-10 players in the NHL as 'good' as him.
That's because Giroux not only makes great offensive plays, he's got a high hockey IQ and is extremely competitive, winning is more important than scoring for him.

And yes, I have those kind of expectations for Konecny, as he fills out and gets smarter, he has the kind of exceptional talent combined with competitive drive that can make him special - he's not just a figure skater, he loves to hit and chase the puck. His biggest issue is focus and awareness, he has one gear and often is out of control. When he learns to slow the game down, and strategically use his acceleration and aggressiveness, anticipate more and force less, he could become an elite player.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

Speaking of total blindness, when someone walks in the room, do you hear like a "ping" like radar, like bats use? Or does your familiar just say "Master, there is an intruder in the den"?

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I've loved Konecny since his draft year, when I asked why no one was mentioning him as a consideration at #7. That's how good I thought he was.
I was pissed when I thought he was going to end up in Boston, and then over-the-moon elated when he fell into the 20s and the Flyers traded up to get him.

Reactions: The Rage Kage

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
By my count Konecny has 23 EV goals this year, which is 24th in the league. He has more EV goals than Patrick Kane or Steven Stamkos. He doesn't actually have to get any better to be totally worth his draft slot.

If he turns out to be as good as Voracek, that'll be fantastic.

Reactions: Rebels57 and Tripod

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If he's only as good as Voracek, I'll be disappointed, there's more to playing hockey than scoring (though many fans don't seem to get that).
Voracek had that one year 2014-15, when he look on the verge of greatness, and since then he's been consistently inconsistent.
He doesn't hit, he's erratic with the back check, turns the puck over too often, loses focus on a regular basis.

TK has a chance to be at Marchand's level for most of his career (with the chipiness but without the dirty play).
Even before Marchand became an elite scorer the last two years, he was an elite level winger:
23-26: 18-22 ES, Corsi 58.8% CorsiRel 6.3, at 26 E +/- +17.1
27-29: 26-27 ES, Corsi 57.4% CorsiRel 7.0, at 27 E +/- +16.2, at 28 +17.7

That's the kind of two way, dominating play I want to see from TK when he grows up.
As he fills out that frame, he should be a holy terror over 200 feet, using his explosive acceleration and leverage and intensity to impact play at both ends of the ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad