So Babcock needs to go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
Last year past DEC, we weren't even a playoff team. That's sort of troubling.
This is a good point. We are not looking at a 5 game problem, we are looking at a 10 month problem with an off season to reflect and correct.

this team needs to look different coming out of the “family meeting.” If not this season is about to slip away

Reactions: weems

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
What's the point in paying these guys all this money and then not even leaning heavily on them in important spots?

Especially when you're swapping them out for far less talented players.

Makes no sense.

You cant do this stuff and expect to win a championship.
Do I repeat my previous comment? I’m not his defender, I said we’re only five games in, it’s October. I guess he was coach of the year last year at this point then.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Do I repeat my previous comment? I’m not his defender, I said we’re only five games in, it’s October. I guess he was coach of the year last year at this point then.

:thumbu:

Hopefully he figures it out and turns this team around.

I will glady eat crow if he takes this team deep.

Reactions: Al14

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
:thumbu:

Hopefully he figures it out and turns this team around.

I will glady eat crow if he takes this team deep.

Nice to know that that the players on the ice are treated as a constant, and this team only goes as far as the coach behind the bench takes them.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Nice to know that that the players are treated as a constant, and this team only goes as far as the coach behind the bench takes them.

Would you like it if I also said I think the team could use some more sandpaper and I'm not totally sold on Dubas?

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
The blame has to be shared. This team is no better than it was 2 years ago. I will say it's even worse. The hunger has gone from the kids since they were all given ridiculous contracts. The lesser lights have to wonder why these slugs are making that kind of money. Nothing has been done to improve the defense either on the ice or off and then there's Mr. Softee. We know that he'll let in one soft goal at the most inopportune time. Show Babcock the door for sure, but keep it open for Dubas and Shanahan. The GM was as big a mistake and that falls on Shanny. How often have we heard this Leaf slogan in the last 67 years, "Time to rebuild." Remember, "No guts no glory!" and this team has no guts, just a bunch of self-entitled babies both on and off the ice.

Reactions: Canadian Finn

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I think we have improved a lot over last season by getting rid of our questionable players and bringing in Barrie.

The reason why it's difficult to improve over last season is that Matthews and Marner were making their ELC contracts, and now they make over $20 million combined. So in a cap era, the fact that we're as good or better than we were last year, despite having to pay Matthews and Marner way more than we had to pay them last year, is a pretty good thing.

If Matthews and Marner were still on their ELC contracts right now, imagine how good our team could be. That's why last year was our best chance to really stack the roster. The fact that we didn't have to lose too much when Matthews and Marner transitioned to their big contracts is a credit to Dubas. It's hard to improve a team when you've got almost $20 million less in cap space to work with than the year before.

Saltcreek

Nov 23, 2016
If Babcock is let go then who would be available to replace him? I do not exactly agree with how he is coaching the team but are there any better options out there?

KIWILEAFFAN

Dec 28, 2011
New Zealand
Elite soldiers like Navy Seals would sacrifice their life for their country, elite Leafs wouldn't sacrifice a non consequential amount of money.

Soldiers fight for their mates in it with them first and for most. Not money.
You would think the players getting huge money would at least try and do the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: egd27

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Babcock has his 50 million bucks no matter what happens and his wife has the shopping she wanted. It is all academic now. Leaf brass like to make the big splash with the big bucks for star names. Sometimes it works......

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Dont forget we gave up a draft pick for Babcock also Haha
I guess there's a reason his time on Detroit was coming to an end...and of course the Leafs are the "beneficiaries"

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Babcock's biggest flaw amidst everything else, is that he attempts to make a team play the way he wants them when they're designed to play a different style. He's got a team that has Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Tavares and a bunch of mobile wingers as well as a top 3 blueline when it comes to mobility, yet his system dictates an overuse of the stretch pass when every observable metric has shown that controlled zone entries lead to not only more chances, but higher quality chances as well. He is and never has been the right man to lead this team and he should have never been given the 8 year term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad