So Babcock needs to go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Mike Babcock may be set up for a fall after Kyle Dubas’ uninspiring summer | The Star

Damien Cox

"If Mike Babcock’s job is on the line this season, you’ve really got to start wondering whether he’s got a fighting chance.
At this point, it appears more like his boss, Kyle Dubas, has tasked Babcock with the unenviable job of getting better results out of a roster that is no better than last year’s, and quite possibly weaker."

read Damian cox, immediately kept scrolling. Talk about irrelevant, if you search irrelevant in the dictionary Damian cox doesn’t even come up because he’s even irrelevant to the meaning of irrelevant

Legendary

Sep 1, 2016
Build on Mathews, Tavares and Andersen get rid of everyone else in the organization for all I care. Only have 3-4 years of Tavares in his prime so better start quick....A real GM would have traded Marners ass the second he pulled that nonsense. Those 5 and 0 Carolina D would sure look good right about now.

Dugath

Jan 9, 2014
Well, the fans forced Burke's hand, not sure if a fire Babcock would work. Can't have the fans forcing manage to fire coaches all the time lol. But still I am tired of Babcock.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I’ll stick with my commentary after last season, if we are disjointed and treading water in December, then it’s time to make a change. He’s obviously gone if we flounder in the playoffs, but if the team doesn’t look good mid season, then Dubas needs to make a move.

As for making definitive judgements now, it’s kind of laughable from my perspective. It’s five games in, I hesitate jumping over this and that just quite yet. Andersen has been garbage, could be 4-1 if he was just decent, so...we aren’t looking for a new goalie, because it’s October.

I felt this for years, October is smoke and mirrors.

Alkalinesky

Feb 13, 2019
Let my start by saying I lurk a lot and read a lot. I don't know hockey in depth. I'm baffled by the salary cap and ELC's and 2-way contracts and all the rest. I love watching the game and I'm fairly confident in my ability to understand the rules (except goaltender interference, but no one understands that).

What I do understand is leadership. I manage a team of 22 people. I think it is incumbent upon leaders to re-examine regularly their effectiveness for a position and whether we are the right ones to lead our teams at the right time. Whether we are able to adapt and focus on culture and create an environment where people feel like they can do their best work. I have a 5 year shelf life philosophy, because I consider myself a steward of my position, not its owner.

I don't know what the locker room is like. I don't know what the conflicts are and how the team responds to adversity. But from the observations I've made, it seems there is a vast disconnect somewhere. Whether that's the players or upper management, as a leader...that's on me to figure it out and fix it. Or at least transparently address it and be humble enough to step out of the way so others can fix it.

It was striking to me that Matthews didn't feel like he could or should share his struggles over the summer. Yes, hold the player accountable. But also hold the organization accountable for not fostering a culture where those disclosures are normal and the individual feels safe. It ALL comes down to trust, and trust here may be lacking.

I would never assume to know facts when all I know is a TV version of all the players and events. But if I'm Babcock, eventually I have to look at my impact and effectiveness. Is he there yet? Is the organization? I don't know. But they really should think about it.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
The Leafs team is stacked almost as good as team Canada, Babcock was successful with them, why not as much with the Leafs?

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Its like a Military General wanting to Blitzkreig with Tanks, Armoured vehicles and then march in with troops after the shelling...
But the guy running the countries $ and supplies just gave the general a whole bunch of highly trained special unit navy seals.

Elite soldiers like Navy Seals would sacrifice their life for their country, elite Leafs wouldn't sacrifice a non consequential amount of money.

There may be some coaching problems, but they aren't the problems that are going to keep this team from ultimate victory.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
How long into his term until we see any sign of a defensive structure?

The "new guys" on defense this year Barrie and Muzzin were said to improve the defense.That is still to be determined.

So Babcock uses them as a shutdown pairing against TB and Barrie goes -4 +/- on 5 TB goals and the pairing gets eaten alive on the night, while Rielly is getting walked by dman Shattenkirk.

Leafs have scored 19 GF on the season (Tied for 3rd most) and given up 20 goals against (Tied for 30th most).

This team on player personnel is built to score goals and outscore their mistakes to win games and try and win every game 6-5 or 5-4.

To this point the goal differential - 1 on the season and that is what leads to a .500 team result of 2-2-1 in the standings when you're one of the top scoring teams and also weakest defensive ones. Live by the sword and die by the sword each outing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stamkos4life

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I’ll stick with my commentary after last season, if we are disjointed and treading water in December, then it’s time to make a change. He’s obviously gone if we flounder in the playoffs, but if the team doesn’t look good mid season, then Dubas needs to make a move.

As for making definitive judgements now, it’s kind of laughable from my perspective. It’s five games in, I hesitate jumping over this and that just quite yet. Andersen has been garbage, could be 4-1 if he was just decent, so...we aren’t looking for a new goalie, because it’s October.

I felt this for years, October is smoke and mirrors.

I would think amongst the less knee jerky fans this isnt really about it being 5 games.

Many who thought he should be let go this offseason were still willing to give him one last shot in hopes he would evolve over the summer and change some things up.

It looks like that isnt happening and we're still seeing the same sloppy unorganized hockey and a unwillingness to lean on his star players big in crucial spots.

The STL game is a perfect example for me.

We're up 2-1 with a PP to basically put us in the 90%+ win range if we score.

He pulled his #1 unit off the ice just 43 seconds in and opted to put on much inferior players in a important spot gameflow wise.

Who knows. Maybe if you leave that unit out there for 1:30 or so like most other teams, we score and go onto win that game and we feel great going into a matchup vs TB versus not so great losing two games which we prolly should have won.

It's little edges like that, that you need to consistently push if you want to be the best team. It makes even less sense to do that when you've decided you're going to stack your #1 unit.

I think he's a good coach that does many things well but also has some serious shortcomings and not convinced he's the right fit for this roster.

You're right its only 5 games but its very discouraging to see the same things pop up that have hurt us the past few years.

Reactions: stopclickbait

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I would think amongst the less knee jerky fans this isnt really about it being 5 games.

Many who thought he should be let go this offseason were still willing to give him one last shot in hopes he would evolve over the summer and change some things up.

It looks like that isnt happening and we're still seeing the same sloppy unorganized hockey and a unwillingness to lean on his star players big in crucial spots.

The STL game is a perfect example for me.

We're up 2-1 with a PP to basically put us in the 90%+ win range if we score.

He pulled his #1 unit off the ice just 43 seconds in and opted to put on much inferior players in a important spot gameflow wise.

Who knows. Maybe if you leave that unit out there for 1:30 or so like most other teams, we score and go onto win that game and we feel great going into a matchup vs TB versus not so great losing two games which we prolly should have won.

It's little edges like that, that you need to consistently push if you want to be the best team. It makes even less sense to do that when you've decided you're going to stack your #1 unit.

I think he's a good coach that does many things well but also has some serious shortcomings and not convinced he's the right fit for this roster.

You're right its only 5 games but its very discouraging to see the same things pop up that have hurt us the past few years.
October is sloppy by nature. It doesn’t really tell you anything at this point. We will just now start seeing the neutral zone clog, tighter checking. Recall last year we looked stoppable.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
October is sloppy by nature. It doesn’t really tell you anything at this point. We will just now start seeing the neutral zone clog, tighter checking.

So why did he take his #1 unit off the ice just 43 seconds into a super important PP?

He thought it was a good idea to play Spezza, Kerfoot and Kapanen more than three guys making 10+ million dollars?

This also isnt a isolated incident as he pulled the same thing in game 7 where he opted to play Marleau the same amount of a important PP as our stars when we were down a goal.

Reactions: stopclickbait

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
October is sloppy by nature. It doesn’t really tell you anything at this point. We will just now start seeing the neutral zone clog, tighter checking. Recall last year we looked stoppable.

Last year past DEC, we weren't even a playoff team. That's sort of troubling.

Reactions: weems and ToMaLe

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
So why did he take his #1 unit off the ice just 43 seconds into a super important PP?

He thought it was a good idea to play Spezza, Kerfoot and Kapanen more than three guys making 10+ million dollars?

This also isnt a isolated incident as he pulled the same thing in game 7 where he opted to play Marleau the same amount of a important PP as our stars when we were down a goal.
I’m not defending his every move.

Reactions: egd27

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I’m not defending his every move.

What's the point in paying these guys all this money and then not even leaning heavily on them in important spots?

Especially when you're swapping them out for far less talented players.

Makes no sense.

You cant do this stuff and expect to win a championship.

Reactions: ToMaLe
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad